HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spectors: Biron and Mckee out for a #1 Defenseman???

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2005, 10:34 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Spectors: Biron and Mckee out for a #1 Defenseman???

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

SABRES TO SHOP A GOALIE?

BUFFALO NEWS: Tim Graham yesterday reported Sabres GM Darcy Regier hopes to resolve his club's three-way goalie battle soon. Current number one Martin Biron, backup Mika Noronen and top prospect Ryan Miller will be battling for the club's two goalie spots when training camp opens in two weeks. Biron says he's not worrying about a trade, but Noronen clearly is, heeding his agent's advice not to buy a house in Western New York, while Miller's agent is pressuring Regier to resolve this situation soon. Should Regier finally trade one of them, the Atlanta Thrashers, Washington Capitals, Colorado Avalanche, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested.

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. One source out of Buffalo told me he's hearing Regier may be leaning toward dealing Biron because of his contract and his trade value being higher than the other two. There's also whispers the Sabres might package Biron and veteran blueliner Jay McKee to bring in a number one defenceman, but nothing is confirmed about this and should only be taken as unsubstantiated.

I LIKE THIS NEWS!

Old
09-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Rowley Birkin

wow, i like it too.

unless the '#1 defenceman' is actually Aaron Miller

i don't see anyone giving up a top blueliner for these two tho, to be honest.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:46 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
wow, i like it too.

unless the '#1 defenceman' is actually Aaron Miller

i don't see anyone giving up a top blueliner for these two tho, to be honest.
The fist defensman that came to my mind is Ed Jovonaski, we would prolly have to add to our end of the deal though...Although I dont think Van. needs a goalie...

Old
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's Spectors... take with a liberal dash of salt.

09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
His "source from Buffalo" said this.....I don't believe it at all.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
His "source from Buffalo" said this.
Bill Pax?

Old
09-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
It's Spectors... take with a liberal dash of salt.
Very true. However, would this be something Muckler would be interested in for the Sens? Biron and McKee plus something for Redden? Biron to split time with Hasek this year and then fight with Emery for the number 1 spot after that?

Emery is only 22 with 6 NHL games under his belt. With Hasek's age and high risk of injury, shouldn't they grab a more reliable No. 2? If the Dominator goes down, it would be a very good team relying on a very young goaltender in Emery for a Cup run. Besides, if Hasek is out for an extended period of time, they would have no one to backup Emery.

The money would be pretty even, so nobody's cap situation changes and I think Muckler would have a fairly large interest in McKee. Didn't he draft him?

Something to think about isn't it?

Old
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
The money would be pretty even, so nobody's cap situation changes and I think Muckler would have a fairly large interest in McKee. Didn't he draft him?

Mucks drafted both of them 2 picks apart in '95.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Ottawa is the team that came to mind for me aswell. They really should get some insurance for Dom.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Mucks drafted both of them 2 picks apart in '95.
Thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Ottawa is the team that came to mind for me aswell. They really should get some insurance for Dom.
Yeah, doesn't it kind of make sense when you think about it?

Kalinin-Redden
Lydman-Numminen
Tallinder-Jillson

I could definitely live with that defense.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
SensNAvsfan

Biron would be interesting, but not McKee. Ottawa doesn't need another defensemen, and trading one of the core like Redden-Phillips-Chara is out of question.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Bill Pax?

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Old
09-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensNAvsfan
Biron would be interesting, but not McKee. Ottawa doesn't need another defensemen, and trading one of the core like Redden-Phillips-Chara is out of question.
If you get rid of Redden, I don't see how you wouldn't need another Dman. And with Redden's and Chara's contract expiring at the end of the year, I don't understand why trading Redden would be out of the question. Unlikely, but not out of the question.

A few weeks ago I'm sure you would have thought that Hossa would be a Senator at this time too. Granted, we are not sending you Kalinin in this proposal, but McKee can be a very good Dman. Biron would be 1b to Hasek's 1a and you can add a pick or prospect or two. Maybe Stafford?

Old
09-01-2005, 12:32 PM
SensNAvsfan

Ottawa is trying to win the Cup this year, not a few years down the road, so trading Ottawa's best defensemen now would not be wise

Old
09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Ottawa is trying to win the Cup this year, not a few years down the road, so trading Ottawa's best defensemen now would not be wise

Didn't the Hossa/Heatly trade ensure that Redden is OFF the market? I don't know what teams Buffalo is looking at to make a trade, prolly a team in cap trouble with a deep defense and is looking to upgrade goaltending. Tampa just signed Burke, so I think they are set with the Burke/Grahme combo. Atlanta needs a goalie, but has no d-men to offer up. Vancouver is in the market to get Luongo, but I doubt they are offering up Ohlund. My guess for a deal like this to happen, Buffalo is going to have to be a 3rd party in a bigger deal.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Digable5

Quote:
The top 4 Dmen would be Chara, Phillips, McKee, and Volchenkov. There's nothing wrong there. Its not like I'm suggesting they move Redden and replace him with Michael Funk. McKee isn't for years down the road, he can perform now. And if you don't have a reliable No. 2 goalie like Biron behind Hasek if he goes down you might as well start planning for the future. And the prospect or pick would just be to make it more intriging for Ottawa.

Old
09-01-2005, 02:25 PM
jpb

Quote:
It's all grist for the mill. I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense from a Sens standpoint, but you never can tell with these GMs.

Love your user icon, btw. I miss the nordiques. Those blue road sweaters were the best.

Old
09-01-2005, 02:56 PM
MentalPowerHouse

Maybe it'd be Chris Philips and a pick for Mckee and a goalie.

Old
09-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Takeo

I don't think it is realistic to expect Muckler to move Redden considering that the Sens are gearing up for a legitimate Cup run, but I do think Muckler could have significant interest in Biron and McKee. Goaltending is the only position that could potentially hold Ottawa back so acquiring Biron would be a saavy insurance move. It is more likely that the Sabres land either Phillips or Volchenkov. From the Sabres point of view, I would prefer Volchenkov because our blueline lacks toughness, but either would be an upgrade. For the Sens, they add critical depth in net and also a d-man who, given the right situation, could come close to replacing whatever they lose in the return. Hell, swapping Volchenkov for McKee might even upgrade their blueline for the upcoming season.

My proposal:

Biron + McKee for Volchenkov/Phillips (although I'm not certain of Ottawa's cap situation)

For the Sabres:

Kalinin-Lydman
Phillips-Numminen
Tallinder-Jillson/Fitzpatrick

or

Kalinin-Lydman
Tallinder-Numminen
Volchenkov-Jillson/Fitzpatrick

Old
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Kalinin-Lydman
Phillips-Numminen

or

Kalinin-Lydman
Tallinder-Numminen
Either way, I like that D a lot.

Old
09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I don't think it is realistic to expect Muckler to move Redden considering that the Sens are gearing up for a legitimate Cup run, but I do think Muckler could have significant interest in Biron and McKee. Goaltending is the only position that could potentially hold Ottawa back so acquiring Biron would be a saavy insurance move. It is more likely that the Sabres land either Phillips or Volchenkov. From the Sabres point of view, I would prefer Volchenkov because our blueline lacks toughness, but either would be an upgrade. For the Sens, they add critical depth in net and also a d-man who, given the right situation, could come close to replacing whatever they lose in the return. Hell, swapping Volchenkov for McKee might even upgrade their blueline for the upcoming season.

My proposal:

Biron + McKee for Volchenkov/Phillips (although I'm not certain of Ottawa's cap situation)

For the Sabres:

Kalinin-Lydman
Phillips-Numminen

or

Kalinin-Lydman
Tallinder-Numminen
A guy can dream about the trade being for Redden can't he?

Its still possibility, but I even said it was unrealistic. However, I would take Volchenkov plus for both Biron and McKee. Granted he's not a No. 1 Dman, but would be a nice addition to our depth charts. If either a 3rd round pick or a prospect like Roman Wick could come to Buffalo with Volchenkov I'd do it.

Kalinin-Numminen
Volchenkov-Lydman
Tallinder-Jillson

Old
09-01-2005, 03:35 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Yeah, doesn't it kind of make sense when you think about it?

Kalinin-Redden
Lydman-Numminen
Tallinder-Jillson

I could definitely live with that defense.
There`s no way I`ll ever cheer for Tallinder.

If this happens then Reiger has lost it. Hey, Darcy "Noronen is not good enough to be #1 and Miller is unproven." Biron is the best we have. If you trade him without getting a goalie in return it will be your dumbest move ever - no small accomplishment.

Old
09-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Takeo

Quote:
A guy can dream about the trade being for Redden can't he?

Its still possibility, but I even said it was unrealistic. However, I would take Volchenkov plus for both Biron and McKee. Granted he's not a No. 1 Dman, but would be a nice addition to our depth charts. If either a 3rd round pick or a prospect like Roman Wick could come to Buffalo with Volchenkov I'd do it.

Kalinin-Numminen
Volchenkov-Lydman
Tallinder-Jillson
In the Volchenkov proposal, I think the value coming back to Buffalo that puts it over the top is the slashing of a significant amount of salary. I don't think Muckler would add anything else considering the salary he is inheriting. In fact, Buffalo may have to add a pick.

Regardless, if the deal went down, Kalinin, Lydman, and Volchenkov could anchor our blueline for the foreseeable future.

Old
09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
There`s no way I`ll ever cheer for Tallinder.

If this happens then Reiger has lost it. Hey, Darcy "Noronen is not good enough to be #1 and Miller is unproven." Biron is the best we have. If you trade him without getting a goalie in return it will be your dumbest move ever - no small accomplishment.
I don't know what you have against Tallinder, but you are probably right about Biron. I think he gives us the best shot at winning this year. However, if one has to go and you can get a young top 4 dman, then you not only save cap space, but you also add a tough and cheap dman and slay the three headed goalie monster all at the same time.

I'm not too thrilled about starting the season with Noronen or Miller starting in net unless they steal it away from Biron in training camp. However, our much improved defense can make a difference as to how successful our netminder is and may be enough to push us into the playoffs. If not, we have space under our "Larry Quinn issued cap" to make a move or two after the season.

Last edited by Digable5: 09-01-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Closed Thread