HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Offseason Acquisitions III

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2014, 12:45 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 500
Our first and a couple of 2's for it.

DO IT UP HEXTALL

Old
06-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

There's no way they trade Couturier. I wonder if both Schenns+17th would be enough? Not sure if I'd do that but who knows.

Old
06-18-2014, 12:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm going to be really upset if they do something dumb like trade Couturier for the number one pick.
I wouldn't be happy if they traded for it in general. It's not the right draft to trade for it with no franchise potential player in it on the surface while the price remains high like any other year.

We don't have the picks or prospects to facilitate a move so you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be something of great worth on the roster already to pull such a move.

Old
06-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
exactly. example, Markov wants a 3 year deal at 6 per. would you give that contract out to a 35+ guy? I wouldn't.
Depends on the guy. Campbell has a great injury record and hasn't slowed down, Markov not so much.

Old
06-18-2014, 12:59 PM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
There's no way they trade Couturier. I wonder if both Schenns+17th would be enough? Not sure if I'd do that but who knows.
They would be mad to. Brayden should turn out to be a very good second center, but they are going to draft a potential #1 dman in Ekblad. Can't imagine Luke does much for them either

Old
06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...07647079178240

LOL, they think we will be picking #1...
I imagine it would have to be something like.

Coburn + Schenn + our 1st?

Old
06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, he's signed this year and next. We aren't opposed to old players, we are opposed to old players on long contracts. This has been very carefully explained to you more times than I can count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Under the hypothetical here yes easily, you rid yourself of two the worst contracts on the team for a players who's still playing at a high level in a position of need.

Nope, his play doesn't suggest it will at the moment & he hasn't missed a game in the last 3 years. He's signed for two years here, the cap will rise & the core is still locked up in that time frame so I would have no concerns about his play nor his contract as of now.
Quote:
Exactly. It's not a black-and-white distinction like DFF seems to believe it is.
Hmm. Seems to me that Brian Campbell at 35 and $14+ million over the next two seasons would be a cause for concern for some around here, but I guess I was wrong.

So there is no fear that he will slow down? Don't all players break down at 30-35 years old? Isn't that the mantra that gets tossed around here? I'm not worried about it happening, I'm more worried about the $7+ million for two years. I am just surprised that people would be ok paying that to Brian Campbell. I assume You'd be ok giving Dan Boyle a two year deal at $7+ then too, right? Hell Boyle put up good numbers and has just as good an injury track record. No sign of him slowing down either.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

MacLean saying Thornton will only go to one team, the New York Rangers. Why the hell does everyone want to go there. Bunch of damn yankees.

Also, no first rounder this year or next. Kreider, Jt Miller are about as good as they get with prospects. They don't have much ammo. Would they trade Stepan for him?

06-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Quote:
MacLean saying Thornton will only go to one team, the New York Rangers. Why the hell does everyone want to go there. Bunch of damn yankees.
Having lived there, it is an awesome city.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hmm. Seems to me that Brian Campbell at 35 and $14+ million over the next two seasons would be a cause for concern for some around here, but I guess I was wrong.

So there is no fear that he will slow down? Don't all players break down at 30-35 years old? Isn't that the mantra that gets tossed around here? I'm not worried about it happening, I'm more worried about the $7+ million for two years. I am just surprised that people would be ok paying that to Brian Campbell. I assume You'd be ok giving Dan Boyle a two year deal at $7+ then too, right? Hell Boyle put up good numbers and has just as good an injury track record. No sign of him slowing down either.
Boyle is three years older, didn't play 27 minutes a night on the top pairing, and he suffered a very serious concussion in October. Try again.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Boyle is three years older, didn't play 27 minutes a night on the top pairing, and he suffered a very serious concussion in October. Try again.
Well not to mention that Boyle played on one of the top teams in the league while Campbell played on one of the worst. Terrible comparison by DFF.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Curufinwe

And Boyle showed very obvious signs of slowing down. Ask any Sharks fan or their management.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
And Boyle showed very obvious signs of slowing down. Ask any Sharks fan or their management.
Campbell nearly contributed 2 minutes per game of PK time last year while Boyle didn't play on the PK.

He played in more facets of the game than Boyle on a weaker team.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Because it's the best city in the world?

Old
06-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Jtown

Quote:

Also, no first rounder this year or next. Kreider, Jt Miller are about as good as they get with prospects. They don't have much ammo. Would they trade Stepan for him?
New york is an incredible city to live in, but the reason why it appeals to so many celebs is because they can actually disappear in such a large city. And for an nhl player , they are practically invisible in nyc.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Because it's the best city in the world?
God no.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Boyle didn't play 27 minutes a night on the top pairing, and he suffered a very serious concussion in October. Try again.
He played 21 minutes a night, certainly nothing to scoff at. And how serious could his concussion have been if he missed just seven games and continued to play 20+ minutes per night while putting up one fewer point than Brian Campbell in fewer games?

So maybe it isn't $7+ million because he only played 21 minutes per night (plus an additional 7 seven playoff games at 21 minutes per night)...then $6 million? Or are you not interested in him at all because he isn't as good as Campbell?

I'm just trying to figure out what the standard is or where the benchmark is, because it usually sounds like players over 30 (especially 35) are not worth pursuing, especially if they would become your second highest paid player.

What is it you are looking for in a 30-35+ player where it would be ok to pay them that much? It isn't black and white...fine...that's great...but there has to be some tipping point where you are going to say "I'd pay that 30-35+ player $7 million for two years (just using Campbell as an example...could really be any amount to any player in this age range), but I wouldn't pay that 30-35+ player $7 million for two years." I want to know what that point is...doesn't have to be exist, but some kind of ballpark or at least some reasons as to why you think Player X will break down and fail and not be worth it because he is 30-35+, but Player Y will not break down and will be worth it, even though he is 30-35+.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
God no.
Meh, NYC is pretty damned great.

06-18-2014, 01:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Campbell
26:57TOI (21:06ES, 1:56SH, 3:53PP) 37PTS (23ES, 2SH, 12PP)

Boyle
21:16TOI (17:22ES, 0:15SH, 3:38PP) 36PTS (18ES, 0SH, 18PP)

San Jose scored 2.92 goals per game (ranked 6th) & were
17.2% on the PP (ranked 19th).

Florida scored 2.29 goals per game (ranked 29th) & were 10.0% on the PP (ranked 30th).

Old
06-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Ryker

Quote:
It's fine. He shared your opinion, but then I posted that, so he had to oppose it So if you want a strong supporter of something, just let me know. I'll post the opposite view, and you'll have a die-hard fan of your cause right there

Old
06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
I've lived in a few cities for little bit. New York, Boston, Montreal, Los Angeles, Portland and Philadelphia.

Give me Philly or Portland over any of the others.

It's all subjective though. New York is awesome in a lot of instances, but it depends on where you can afford to live. I guess if you're a professional athlete, that's not really an issue though.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I've lived in a few cities for little bit. New York, Boston, Montreal, Los Angeles, Portland and Philadelphia.

Give me Philly or Portland over any of the others.

It's all subjective though. New York is awesome in a lot of instances, but it depends on where you can afford to live. I guess if you're a professional athlete, that's not really an issue though.
Philly and NYC for me; those cities have a personality. DC is soulless, for instance.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to include that I'm pretending I'm a super-rich athlete. As a normal dude, no, no NYC because I can't afford that ****. In normal, real life I'd go with Philly or Nashville.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
flyershockey

NYC is awesome if you have a lot of money, which Thornton does.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:40 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Philly and NYC for me; those cities have a personality. DC is soulless, for instance.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to include that I'm pretending I'm a super-rich athlete. As a normal dude, no, no NYC because I can't afford that ****. In normal, real life I'd go with Philly or Nashville.
DC is the worst major city on the East Coast, bar none. I can't believe that I have friends that willingly moved back to that hell-hole after college.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Campbell
26:57TOI (21:06ES, 1:56SH, 3:53PP) 37PTS (23ES, 2SH, 12PP)

Boyle
21:16TOI (17:22ES, 0:15SH, 3:38PP) 36PTS (18ES, 0SH, 18PP)

San Jose scored 2.92 goals per game (ranked 6th) & were
17.2% on the PP (ranked 19th).

Florida scored 2.29 goals per game (ranked 29th) & were 10.0% on the PP (ranked 30th).
So Boyle played on a better team, missed seven games, and played five less minutes per night, he is not worth the same amount. Got it. What is he worth, or phrased differently, what is it worth to play on the better team, miss seven games, and play less minutes? Are his numbers just totally unreliable and he is not even worth a look? Is he worth a million or two less than Campbell? Should Campbell really be getting more given the fact that he was on such a bad team?

What of a guy like Coburn who is younger, puts up lower offensive numbers and plays less minutes? This is the guy people don't want to trade for Jordan Eberle...but if the Flyers make this hypothetical trade for Campbell, is Coburn for Eberle doable?

I'm just trying to figure out what goes into these opinions on here so I can keep them straight and not get into pointless arguments.

Closed Thread