HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Datsyuk signs in Russia, but with an out clause

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2005, 01:58 PM
naihlflames

vCash: 500
Datsyuk signs in Russia, but with an out clause

Per tsn

Datsyuk signs with Russian club

TSN.ca Staff

9/5/2005 2:53:14 PM

MOSCOW - It appears that Pavel Datsyuk meant it when he set a Monday deadline in his talks with the Red Wings.

The restricted free agent signed a one-year contract with Russian club Avangard Omsk today.

The 27-year-old All-Star centre, who reportedly turned down a $5 million offer by Detroit was apparently looking for a deal of at least $6 million with the Red Wings.

"I think I am worth at least what (Dany) Heatley or (Joe) Thornton got from their deals," Datsyuk told the Russian media.

Datsyuk has a clause in his Avangard contract, allowing him to leave for the NHL midway through the season.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
A couple nice goals and he thinks he's a Dany Heatley and a Joe Thorton?
This kid will never be half the player these guys will be..

Old
09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
bleedgreen

i honestly think this is just more posturing set up by his agent. he still says "ive been told im worth" - he doesnt understand all this crap. just doing what the agent says to do - saying what the agent says to say. still a month to go.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Worth Heatley money? Maybe (keep in mind Heatley's contract is a 3-year at $3.5m/$4.5m/$5.5m) ... but worth Thornton money? Who is he kidding?

Old
09-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Oh my....he has been hyped up too much in Detroit or something to get crazy thoughts like that....First off, players of that calibre like Thornton would never hold out and proclaim they deserve more money, then compare themselves. This kid needs to grow up. I'm thinking his hotshot thinking has just turned alot of GM's off of this kid. I can only think of a few teams willing to pay for his services after saying **** like that, NYR, NYI, Pens and maybe the Leafs.

He is damn good, I'll give him that much...and before that statement I would have loved him in Edmonton.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
he is a super talented guy, just getting some bad agent advice. he's one of the new stars that the NHL needs in the new era....hopefully he'll be back with the Wings sooner rather than later......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Guy Legend

He's a big idiot for turning down $5 million. Bad decision.

Looks like the central is going to be even more wide open.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life
I can only think of a few teams willing to pay for his services after saying **** like that, NYR, NYI, Pens and maybe the Leafs...
Can you elaborate on that?

Old
09-05-2005, 02:13 PM
wedge

who is his agent?

Old
09-05-2005, 02:15 PM
abracanada

If you read the story, he has an out - at the middle of the season. They have him tied up until then I would say. I guess it will give the Wings some time to shed some salary - or trade the little weasel.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:15 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
He's a big idiot for turning down $5 million. Bad decision.

Looks like the central is going to be even more wide open.
if the wings offered him 5 millions per year, they are crazy too.

Which I don't think so.

damn russian players...

Old
09-05-2005, 02:17 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderama
who is his agent?
Greenstin. His other client Dmitry Bykov seems to be getting the same advice. Play in Russia until you're unrestricted and then see if teams will give you money. I don't think he realizes that not playing in the NHL will kill your value as an NHLer.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:23 PM
FacelessButcher

I'd imagine Detroit has a little more expendable cash now, do you think they will enter the Bondra sweepstakes?

Old
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Release The Lehner

What the hell is Datsyuk smoking ?

How could he possibly think he's worth the same as Naslund, Thornton and Hossa. And by turning down the $5M he just proves he's on something. Who could possibly think he's more valuable than Theodore, Luongo, Brodeur, Kovalev, Palffy, Satan, Heatley, Nash, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, ... for god sake, Forsberg doesn't even make 6.

I for one congratulate Detroit on their stance. Firstly, for not allowing the players (agents) to hold them ransom and atleast attempting to maintain the stability of the new market/environment that took them a year to create. And second, because Ottawa's gonna have a player named Havlat (who I'd take over Datsyuk) become RFA again next year and there's no way in hell I'd want him to have a contract like the one Datsyuk wants to compare himself against because he'll outproduce Datsyuk easily.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I'd imagine Detroit has a little more expendable cash now, do you think they will enter the Bondra sweepstakes?
Hope not. I want Holland to give Lou a helping hand in getting the Devils under the cap. Friesen and/or Langenbrunner would look nice flanking Zetterberg on the 2nd line.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
What the hell is Datsyuk smoking ?

How could he possibly think he's worth the same as Naslund, Thornton and Hossa. And by turning down the $5M he just proves he's on something. Who could possibly think he's more valuable than Theodore, Luongo, Brodeur, Kovalev, Palffy, Satan, Heatley, Nash, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, ... for god sake, Forsberg doesn't even make 6.
Agreed.

Personally, I hardly see him worth much more than Pavol Demitra who makes $4.5 million. If the Wings were offering $5 mill., Datsyuk should have jumped on it.

Next year, the cap is likely to go down, so salaries should be even less. If he plays in Russia this year, his value will go even further south.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:31 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Hope not. I want Holland to give Lou a helping hand in getting the Devils under the cap. Friesen and/or Langenbrunner would look nice flanking Zetterberg on the 2nd line.
That would be my preference too but Bondra can be had with no assets and I think Bondra and Lang have a good working relationship. Just a thought

Old
09-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames
MOSCOW - It appears that Pavel Datsyuk meant it when he set a Monday deadline in his talks with the Red Wings.

The restricted free agent signed a one-year contract with Russian club Avangard Omsk today.

The 27-year-old All-Star centre, who reportedly turned down a $5 million offer by Detroit was apparently looking for a deal of at least $6 million with the Red Wings.

"I think I am worth at least what (Dany) Heatley or (Joe) Thornton got from their deals," Datsyuk told the Russian media.

Datsyuk has a clause in his Avangard contract, allowing him to leave for the NHL midway through the season.
Well, that's great! I'm sure every team would be happy to get a deal done that allows him to come over in mid-January. Of course, there's the problem of working out a transfer agreement, the fees involved, negotiating his salary for 1/2 a season, .... - all of which added together mean he won't be in the NHL in '05-06.

Detroit certainly isn't going to give him $3 million for half a season, and he's not going to get more than $2 million from anyone else unless said team is really desperate (in which case he'll use that angle to work for $5-6 million for the half-season, and again...no one is going to pay him that).

Old
09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
abracanada

Problem is, with new NHL rules, these guys will be even more valuable.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
chum

does anybody know how much he is getting paid in russia?

datsyuk is not serious because there is an out clause. if he wanted to show the seriousness then he needs to sign a contract without a out clause.

let's say he is making 2 mil in russia. (my guess). it seems stupid for one to turn down an offer because he wants to make 1 mil more, yet decides to play elsewhere for 3 mil less than what is offered. illogical.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:37 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
That would be my preference too but Bondra can be had with no assets and I think Bondra and Lang have a good working relationship. Just a thought
Jersey is over the cap with players left to sign. It would take minimal assets to obtain a player or two.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
5 mill should have never been offered to him, thats stupid on hollands part, now zetterberg and hsi agent are gonna see this and want 3.5-4 mill a year if not more. Holland isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, but i did say 1 thing right, he is a tool

Old
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Wow, Datsyuk thinks he's worth Thornton money? Interesting....

Old
09-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames
What a goof. When Datsyuk scores 40 goals or 100 points while playing a physical game, he can ask for Heatley or Thornton type money. At this point I fail to see why he should get any more than what Martin Havlat is getting($2.6 mil).

Quote:
Anyone know if this will interfere with the NHL's clause that prevents contracts being signed after December 1st?

Old
09-05-2005, 02:43 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
What a goof. When Datsyuk scores 40 goals or 100 points while playing a physical game, he can ask for Heatley or Thornton type money. At this point I fail to see why he should get any more than what Martin Havlat is getting($2.6 mil).

Anyone know if this will interfere with the NHL's clause that prevents contracts being signed after December 1st?
im pretty sure thats the vesy last day we can sign him or he gone for the year.

Closed Thread