HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Offers For Franson, Leafs Want To Re-sign

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2014, 01:56 PM
  #76
Center Ice Scrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World Wide Web
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
Well, I heard a rumor from Darren Dreger that Kessel reduced his cookie consumption from 20cookies a day to 19. That's something right?

Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 02:19 PM
  #77
StuckOutHere
Registered User
 
StuckOutHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,473
vCash: 500
A player like Franson who can seriously upgrade a team's PP and play the right side will garner interest. You can bet a team like the Rangers wish they had him in the playoffs this year. He is probably worth a pick in the 35-45 range.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
  #78
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
A player like Franson who can seriously upgrade a team's PP and play the right side will garner interest. You can bet a team like the Rangers wish they had him in the playoffs this year. He is probably worth a pick in the 35-45 range.
That would be his high end. I think the best deal would be to get a 2nd and an upgrade on a prospect. For example a deal with Tampa Bay (random team in the mid-late 2nd) would be like:


2nd round pick 2014
Tanner Richard


Cody Franson
Tony Cameranesi and/or Spencer Abbott

We'd get a minor upgrade (not a huge one) on a decent prospect at a position of bigger need (especially if D'Amigo and/or Ashton make the jump next year) plus a mid-late 2nd. That would be like best case scenario for us. I don't think any top 10 teams have a need for a top 4 defenseman like Franson, more teams like Minnesota or even Tampa Bay somewhat.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 02:58 PM
  #79
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfWolfAndMan View Post
The thing keeping Franson in Toronto is that he's a RHD. If not, he's already gone... and that's basically it. He could rebound, but unless new assistant coaches can do something magical with his game, he'll be the same version of hiimself next season.

Would rather see the Leafs try to acquire Mark Fayne's rights, sign him before the draft, and deal Franson for picks. Use that money to someone a bit more talented in my humble opinion, at least based on what we saw last year.
It's a lot more than that.... he's our best shot on the powerplay. He's the only remotely physical guy that belongs in the top 4 (excluding the top pair of Phaneuf/Gunnarsson).

Without Franson, we'd be looking at having to break up Phaneuf/Gunnarsson (by far our best and most reliable pair) to have Morgan Rielly in the top 4, or have Tim Gleason there. Neither of those sound all that appealing.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:00 PM
  #80
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,386
vCash: 500
I am NOT a Franson fan. In fact, I think he is basically a meh third pairing guy.


but, I also believe the Leafs could get solid return for him on the trade market.

Its simply a supply and demand issue. Too many teams out there need defenders, too many want big guys and powerpoint guys, for Franson to not be in demand.


If he gets moved (and I have no idea if that will be the case), I bet Leaf fans will be pleased with the outcome.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:05 PM
  #81
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 500
No idea why Toronto would want to keep Franson...sure he knows how to score but he is totally clueless in his own zone. With Reilly and Gardiner in the mix, Franson would be a good piece to move to a team seeking a power play specialist.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:07 PM
  #82
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I am NOT a Franson fan. In fact, I think he is basically a meh third pairing guy.


but, I also believe the Leafs could get solid return for him on the trade market.

Its simply a supply and demand issue. Too many teams out there need defenders, too many want big guys and powerpoint guys, for Franson to not be in demand.


If he gets moved (and I have no idea if that will be the case), I bet Leaf fans will be pleased with the outcome.
I agree with everything there, except that he's a meh third pairing guy. I think combined with a solid partner, he's a meh 2nd pairing guy and a solid pairing guy. Based off of last season, he was a meh 3rd pairing guy, but ordinarily he's like a 4/5 kind of guy. I think his high end will be 2nd and prospect upgrade (minor one) and low end being maybe a 3rd/4th a decent prospect upgrade. Anything below that and Nonis probably would have taken it already.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
  #83
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
It's a lot more than that.... he's our best shot on the powerplay. He's the only remotely physical guy that belongs in the top 4 (excluding the top pair of Phaneuf/Gunnarsson).

Without Franson, we'd be looking at having to break up Phaneuf/Gunnarsson (by far our best and most reliable pair) to have Morgan Rielly in the top 4, or have Tim Gleason there. Neither of those sound all that appealing.
The thing is, one of Rielly or Gardiner will not be playing in the top 4 unless Phaneuf/Gunnarsson is traded. We'd have too many soft defensive guys in the top 4. It will be Rielly/Gardiner with another guy whose good defensively with the other being with Gleason on the bottom line.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  #84
goblix
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
wow there is such hate for Fransen, I'd love the canucks to get him, we could use more puck mover / offensive minded dman,
he's a bc boy too which is appealing as well.

goblix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  #85
leafsfan5
Registered User
 
leafsfan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
If we sign him to a huge contract and then a rumor came out a team offered a 2nd I dont know what im going to do

leafsfan5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:12 PM
  #86
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblix View Post
wow there is such hate for Fransen, I'd love the canucks to get him, we could use more puck mover / offensive minded dman,
he's a bc boy too which is appealing as well.
What do you have in mind in order to get him is the question? Personally I'd do:


2nd round pick 2014
Jordan Schroeder


Cody Franson
Spencer Abbott
Teemu Hartikainen

Schroeder may not be anything more than an Abbott clone, but he'll be given a shot on the 3rd line next year for us.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
  #87
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Franson and defensive beast should never be mentioned together.

In that Boston series, Carlyle was forced to overplay the Phaneuf-Gunnarson pairing because he didn't trust any other Dmen defenisvely which includes Franson.

Franson had an unreal amount of puck luck that series with 3 goals on 15 shots.

As far as the physical side I think it's overstated. Yeah he hits a lot but they aren't heavy hits that intimidate and more often then not he's forced to hit because he's always trying to catch up to the play instead of having the footspeed or a quick stick or good positioning that would have worked better.

Franson can be at best an okay # 4 5 on 5 Dmen, a very good PP option with his wicked shot and shouldn't see time on the PK.

Unfortunately, Franson was asked to do a lot more last season and got exposed for what he really is. Carlyle didn't have a choice and it's better that he put Franson in a tough situation then potentially ruin the development of Gardiner or Rielly by exposing them to those tough situations.
How about that. I didn't realize the NHL separated hits into categories, hard hits and soft hits. How are they differentiated? is it when the opposite player screams, or falls over deeming it a hard hit vs a soft hit?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:55 PM
  #88
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan5 View Post
If we sign him to a huge contract and then a rumor came out a team offered a 2nd I dont know what im going to do
We aren't going to sign him to a big deal.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
  #89
RomanianLeafs
Registered User
 
RomanianLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Romania
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
i liked franson 2 seasons ago...hated this one...so not sure what to do...

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
  #90
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
i liked franson 2 seasons ago...hated this one...so not sure what to do...
The way we should go is aim for at least a 3rd and maybe a prospect upgrade. If that's the best offer, try to get a decent deal out of him, if not take the deal. If we get below that, then we should try signing him for a decent deal... If not, then take best offer available.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
  #91
goblix
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
What do you have in mind in order to get him is the question? Personally I'd do:


2nd round pick 2014
Jordan Schroeder


Cody Franson
Spencer Abbott
Teemu Hartikainen

Schroeder may not be anything more than an Abbott clone, but he'll be given a shot on the 3rd line next year for us.
Abbott is a career AHLer which we don't need and not sure about Hartikainen but it depends on how much he is looking for but overall i'm not sure if he has a place in our bottom 6.

Either Schroeder or 2nd prob is reasonable but I ain't no GM for a reason so I'm sure JB has a plan.

goblix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:12 PM
  #92
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
How about that. I didn't realize the NHL separated hits into categories, hard hits and soft hits. How are they differentiated? is it when the opposite player screams, or falls over deeming it a hard hit vs a soft hit?
Ha ha ha watch Franson for even 1 game and you'll see he's always trying to catch up to the play which forces him to try to hit because he puts himself in a bad position. Basically the exact opposite of a Lidstrom, McDonagh who only hit as a last resort because of a great stick, quick feet, good positioning.

There is obviously no stat for hit impact but nobody is afraid of a Franson hit or teammates are yelling that he's coming like they would for say Pronger, Phaneuf, Chara, Kronwall or even Regehr who hit with enough intensity to end careers.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:17 PM
  #93
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblix View Post
Abbott is a career AHLer which we don't need and not sure about Hartikainen but it depends on how much he is looking for but overall i'm not sure if he has a place in our bottom 6.

Either Schroeder or 2nd prob is reasonable but I ain't no GM for a reason so I'm sure JB has a plan.
Well it's suppose to be an upgrade on a prospect and a 2nd for Franson (essentially). Hartikainen needs a team that can provide him a top 9 spot (which as far as I know won't be the Leafs). Franson~=2nd, Abbott<Schroeder (age essentially) but Hartikainen makes it equal; it actually would be in favour for the Canucks if they give him a spot as a bottom 6 guy as he deserves. Besides, Abbott can make Utica better


Last edited by SeaOfBlue: 06-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:19 PM
  #94
Iridescent*
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
Well it's suppose to be an upgrade on a prospect and a 2nd for Franson (essentially). Hartikainen needs a team that can provide him a top 9 spot (which as far as I know won't be the Leafs). Franson~=2nd, Abbott<Schroeder (age essentially) but Hartikainen makes it equal. Besides, Abbott can make Utica better
We are not, under any circumstance, giving up a 2nd for Franson.

Iridescent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:21 PM
  #95
Virtanev
★★★
 
Virtanev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,839
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
What do you have in mind in order to get him is the question? Personally I'd do:


2nd round pick 2014
Jordan Schroeder


Cody Franson
Spencer Abbott
Teemu Hartikainen

Schroeder may not be anything more than an Abbott clone, but he'll be given a shot on the 3rd line next year for us.
No thank you.

__________________


OP Genasis: have you guys thought people are starting to get tired of Team Curl's antics? 21:56

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:23 PM
  #96
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,580
vCash: 500
Franson is brutal. Please, somebody take him.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:23 PM
  #97
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
No thank you.
Ah poop. Well I tried. Why couldn't you have a low second like you always do, then it would be a closer deal.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
  #98
Virtanev
★★★
 
Virtanev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,839
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
Ah poop. Well I tried. Why couldn't you have a low second like you always do, then it would be a closer deal.
No interest in Franson whatsoever, even for a 3rd. He has no place on the Canucks blueline.

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:27 PM
  #99
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind
 
SeaOfBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
No interest in Franson whatsoever, even for a 3rd. He has no place on the Canucks blueline.
Oh, I was told there was interest, or is it just some fan... When I look at the blueline I'd say the same thing but hey, I'm not a Canucks fan.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
  #100
Iridescent*
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
Oh, I was told there was interest, or is it just some fan... When I look at the blueline I'd say the same thing but hey, I'm not a Canucks fan.
We would much rather give Corrado the opportunity for the roster spot than waste assets on Franson. Especially considering I think he will be a similar player, but better.

Iridescent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.