HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin trying to move up in the draft

Old
06-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Garo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Where have we seen this, before?

Yeah I'm not going to make a drinking game off that list.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Runner77

vCash: 1078
Seeing it reported from several sources how we're going to see moves many more moves than in past seasons. The shallow draft is contributing to it while others are suggesting that the influx of several hungry new GMs in the league may have some taking a more aggressive approach.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I hope we trade the pick for a roster player. I'm tired of drafting busts like Leblanc and Mccarron.
Being a drama queen much?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
I hope we trade the pick for a roster player. I'm tired of drafting busts like Leblanc and Mccarron.
McCarron is far far far from a bust.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Rather than moving up in a shallow draft where moving into the top 5 would be too expensive I'd rather trade the pick for a top 6 RW if possible. That leaves us the opportunity to sign a UFA defenseman and we fill two spots and lose little in the way of assets.
I think it's safe to say however that in a re-draft he doesn't go anywhere near where we took him. Not a bust, but doesn't look like a great pick with the updated information we have.

thomashefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM
shutehinside

WTF is with everyone calling McCarron a bust. I'm assuming they fall in one or more of the following categories:
A) None of you have probably seen him play
B) Have zero ability to assertain talent on any level
C) Are sheep who go only by what other posters say on this board with no mind of your
D) Have zero patience with DEVELOPING prospects and expect every 18 year old prospect that Montreal drafts to play immeidiately in the NHL and have a meaningful impact

Quite simply leave the kid alone for a ****ing year or two before he becomes a bust. Tinordi had a rough go his first year two and now he's one of our top 2 prospects. Jesus, I hate this board sometimes with these ridiculous comments about players they've never seen and have no idea what is actually going on. No offense but I put a hell of a lot more stock in what Timmins and his staff has to say about our prospects than anyone on this board. If you were that good a talent evaluator, you'd be doing it in the NHL.

Leave Brittany alone!! err, Michael.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:34 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
WTF is with everyone calling McCarron a bust. I'm assuming they fall in one or more of the following categories:
A) None of you have probably seen him play
B) Have zero ability to assertain talent on any level
C) Are sheep who go only by what other posters say on this board with no mind of your
D) Have zero patience with DEVELOPING prospects and expect every 18 year old prospect that Montreal drafts to play immeidiately in the NHL and have a meaningful impact

Quite simply leave the kid alone for a ****ing year or two before he becomes a bust. Tinordi had a rough go his first year two and now he's one of our top 2 prospects. Jesus, I hate this board sometimes with these ridiculous comments about players they've never seen and have no idea what is actually going on. No offense but I put a hell of a lot more stock in what Timmins and his staff has to say about our prospects than anyone on this board. If you were that good a talent evaluator, you'd be doing it in the NHL.

Leave Brittany alone!! err, Michael.
A lot of posters are salivating at the prospect of Mike McCarron failing. I'm not sure why, it's extremely bizarre.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
MauriceMaxwell

McCarron a bust already? What the heck is wrong with people around here? He's played 1 year in Junior Hockey. It was well known when he was drafted that he was a project. He has a long way to go in his development. Give it time people.

MauriceMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
CH25
PK SUBBAN = HAB4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceMaxwell View Post
McCarron a bust already? What the heck is wrong with people around here? He's played 1 year in Junior Hockey. It was well known when he was drafted that he was a project. He has a long way to go in his development. Give it time people.
Yep at least 2-3 more years until we can say for sure. I'm confident he'll be a monster by that time.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:48 AM
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
A lot of posters are salivating at the prospect of Mike McCarron failing. I'm not sure why, it's extremely bizarre.
Probably the same people who make trade proposals for other team's 'busts'.

FieryTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:50 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Probably the same people who make trade proposals for other team's 'busts'.
I don't think that's it.

I think it's the crowd that hates fights. They bought into the idea that McCarron was drafted to become John Scott, they don't like it, and so they're hoping he fails.

Old
06-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Runner77

Quote:
I don't think that's it.

I think it's the crowd that hates fights. They bought into the idea that McCarron was drafted to become John Scott, they don't like it, and so they're hoping he fails.
There's a contingent that associates bigger players with lack of skills -- no worse and no better than any other kind of bias.

Old
06-20-2014, 10:57 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
he did....desperately....he wanted morin it was reported....but he couldnt pry it from philly...it was also rumoured he wanted horvat.
He should've tried to trade up in the low teens to get guys like Lazar, Mantha, Zadorov or Burakovski. Not all the way up in the top ten for overrated guys like Horvat or Morin.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
no mccarron isn't a bust already.. but do you honestly think he's going to turn into something.. likely not.

If the moon and stars align he will be a decent third line grinder on a bottom feeder team.
4th liner on a contender.

be honest with yourselves.
McCarron can improve his potential by simply working out on his legs. Which obviously helps with speed/endurance.

That's why Mike's summer routine is essential for his development. I see him being a little better than the Rangers' Brian Boyle.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawahabs View Post
#canadiens Marc Bergevin said he's ready to do a trade to have a better pick at the draft. #tvasports

How high do you think we can climb, and what would your offer be? We know he aggressively tried to move up last year, so maybe it works this year.
Outside of the top four draft prospects (even they're not in the class of a Crosby, etc.). It's not a strong draft year. I wouldn't want Bergevin to trade a roster player and/or a decent prospect for a higher pick. That, in turn, might not be any better than what the Canadiens had in the first place.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Frank JT

That is a good year to trade up between the 10th and the 20th selection to find a powerforward prospect. Exactly what the Habs is missing right now, at the wing to play with Paccioretty and Desharnais. Lot's of potential : Tuch, Perlini, Fiala, Kempe, etc.

Frank JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:37 AM
NobleSix
Dynasty to Tragedy.

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
He should've tried to trade up in the low teens to get guys like Lazar, Mantha, Zadorov or Burakovski. Not all the way up in the top ten for overrated guys like Horvat or Morin.
Maybe he did try that. We just don't know.

NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:26 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank JT View Post
That is a good year to trade up between the 10th and the 20th selection to find a powerforward prospect. Exactly what the Habs is missing right now, at the wing to play with Paccioretty and Desharnais. Lot's of potential : Tuch, Perlini, Fiala, Kempe, etc.
Dat Power Foward Prospect, Fiala.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Spearmint Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Dat Power Foward Prospect, Fiala.
He'll be a grinder if MT gets a hold of him

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:29 PM
PernellsWhiteAmi
Long Live Chappelle

Quote:
I don't think that's it.

I don't think that's the case at all. I just think it's because McCarron didn't score 100 points this year and blew out the league that people are out to hate him. We've been down this road a few years ago to someone named Max Pacioretty. I don't know much about Max because 50% of the boards considered him a bust before his first full NHL season, but I hear he's a pretty good player.

Let McCarron develop. Like other posters have said, at worst he'll be a 3rd line winger who can chip in 10-15 goals. Those guys are hard to come by at 6'6", especially ones who hit and fight. This guy could have another bad two years and then all of a sudden live up to expectations. You just never know. But we shouldn't be making assumptions with an 18 year old who has only played a year in junior.

PernellsWhiteAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Given the scouting reports on this years draft and next, it might be a shrewd move to exchange this year's first rounder for some team's first rounder next year.

How about our 2014 1st plus Christian Thomas for some team's 2015 1st.

Or target teams you might think have a lottery chance, like a Buffalo and do DD+2014 1st for 2015 1st.

My idea is in the concept stage , hard to say if there are any players out there that could generate interest or GM's with needs that can be satisfied by our pick this year.

In any case I think this might be a more fulfilling path than tinkering with draft position this year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
How about our 2014 1st plus Christian Thomas for some team's 2015 1st.
Christian Thomas has trade value?

Old
06-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Christian Thomas has trade value?
As I said, this idea is at the concept stage that might not be the best example.

But yeah I think Thomas can be sold as a player who could be in the NHL some day.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
DAChampion

Thomas may be a poor man's D'Agostini.

Old
06-20-2014, 02:04 PM
THE HOFF

Quote: