HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Canadiens to retire Guy Lapointe's No. 5 jersey

Old
06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Hawkman
RIP Mr Cub

vCash: 500
Canadiens to retire Guy Lapointe's No. 5 jersey

Quote:
Guy Lapointe's No. 5 will hang from the Bell Centre rafters beginning next season when the Montreal Canadiens retire his jersey. Lapointe will become the 18th player to be honored by the Canadiens with a jersey retirement and the second with the No. 5, joining Bernie Geoffrion. The defensemen played 777 regular-season and 112 playoff games for Montreal and was a part of six Stanley Cup champions. Lapointe was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1993. Next season he'll become the first Canadiens star to have his jersey retired since Emile Bouchard and Elmer Lach in December 2009. ''I am beyond proud of my dad!'' Lapointe's daughter Stephanie wrote on Twitter Wednesday.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadie...4413--nhl.html

I know Chalupa Batman doesn't think he's worthy. j/k

06-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Wait - I like Guy Lapointe.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 07:52 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I loved Lapointe and all the different dimensions he brought to the team on and off the ice, but this all seems like the Habs are trying to drum up another ceremony. A player that usually deserves to have his number retired should be done in the first few years after he retires. Unfortunately, the Habs waited way too long for Boom Boom, Robinson and Gainey.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Ed Wood

I happy about this. I don't think any team in NHL history had a better top three defensemen than Robinson, Savard and Lapointe. Lapointe is generally considered to be the lesser of the big three but he was always my favorite.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Big Phil

This reminds me of situations where a couple announce they are getting married after being together for 15-20 years. Everyone sort of shrugs and it's anti-climactic. You say "Good for them" but it still has this feeling of "what took them so long." It's the same here. Lapointe probably deserves it, but there is a laundry list of former Habs players and it isn't as if the Habs couldn't have recognized this whole thing in, say, 1990 or earlier. The Habs are sure running out of numbers here.

A team can do what they want, but I am more for the feeling that the likes of Beliveau or Richard should be reserved for this. At least on a franchise like Montreal. If this was St. Louis, Lapointe is among their best of the best.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I happy about this. I don't think any team in NHL history had a better top three defensemen than Robinson, Savard and Lapointe. Lapointe is generally considered to be the lesser of the big three but he was always my favorite.
Ken Dryden thinks Lapointe was the best of the big 3

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Ken Dryden thinks Lapointe was the best of the big 3
Interesting but it's hard to argue that Robinson wasn't but then again the big guy aged much better as well, Dryden was probably speaking of his time in Montreal but still....

What was the context in which Dryden made this statement?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 09:00 PM
thom

You do know that Scotty Bowman says Serge Savard was the best and he did coach all three.

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 09:13 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I'd like to see them retire #24 for Chris Chelios, he's a Hall of Famer, won a Norris and a Cup with them. served as captain and was generally a rock on D for the Habs from 1983-90.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 10:55 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

If Montreal had higher standards for retired numbers , it would have proved difficult to deal with the Big Three situation.

Sketch list of retired numbers with higher standards:
Richard
Beliveau
Lafleur
Harvey
Morenz
Plante
Roy
Robinson

(And yes , Roy is a sure bet on that list as far as I'm concerned given his importance to two cups in a much more difficult era).

I have a problem with retiring Robinson's 19 as the only member of the Big Three , but I also have a problem with retiring Lapointe's 5 and not retiring a bunch of forward's number (about as good as Lapointe).While if analyzed the Big Three can be hierarchised , retiring a number is not all about fairness like league awards (lol). It's also something of an emotionnal event for both the player and his fans.In popular culture , the Big Three was a unique entity.It wasn't a very hierarchised entity like a Gretzky-Kurri duo for exemple.If you honor one then it feels weird if you don't honor the others.But if you retire what you feel was the weakest link , then how do you feel about not retiring a superior or equal player playing in another position or outside said legendary "entity"? The other choice is not to include Robinson in the final list , but Robinson is regularly ranked amongst the top ten defensemen in hockey history , and if you don't retire the number of a guy like that who played his entire relevant career with the team , then how high are your standards compared to the rest of the league?

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 06-24-2014 at 11:04 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:55 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Interesting but it's hard to argue that Robinson wasn't but then again the big guy aged much better as well, Dryden was probably speaking of his time in Montreal but still....

What was the context in which Dryden made this statement?
If it was a reference to something that Dryden wrote in The Game, I think he was talking about the early 1970s, although I'm not sure. I'd have to read the book again, but at least I don't remember a direct quote "Lapointe was the best of the big three".

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 11:08 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This reminds me of situations where a couple announce they are getting married after being together for 15-20 years. Everyone sort of shrugs and it's anti-climactic. You say "Good for them" but it still has this feeling of "what took them so long." It's the same here. Lapointe probably deserves it, but there is a laundry list of former Habs players and it isn't as if the Habs couldn't have recognized this whole thing in, say, 1990 or earlier. The Habs are sure running out of numbers here.

A team can do what they want, but I am more for the feeling that the likes of Beliveau or Richard should be reserved for this. At least on a franchise like Montreal. If this was St. Louis, Lapointe is among their best of the best.
Number 5 is already retired with Lach and Bouchard's already hanging from the rafters.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 11:09 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Number 5 is already retired with Lach and Bouchard's already hanging from the rafters.
Lach is 16 , so same as Henri Richard , both retired.

Bouchard is 3.

The one you're looking for is Geoffrion , number 5.

Old
06-25-2014, 11:12 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
If it was a reference to something that Dryden wrote in The Game, I think he was talking about the early 1970s, although I'm not sure. I'd have to read the book again, but at least I don't remember a direct quote "Lapointe was the best of the big three".
Here's some quote from the Game:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...041/story.html

Quote:
In Ken Dryden’s classic book, The Game, here’s how he described Lapointe:

“In the early and mid-1970s, except for Bobby Orr, Guy Lapointe was the best defenceman in the NHL,” wrote the Hall of Fame goaltender, who has come out with a 30th anniversary edition of the book, including a new chapter. “He was strong and powerful, an explosive skater with a hard, low shot, but what made him unique was the emotion he could bring to a game. During flat, lifeless stretches, uncalculated, he would suddenly erupt with enormous impatient fury, racing around the ice, daring and inspired on offence and defence, giving the game a new mood; turning it our way. It is a rare ability, and even as (Denis) Potvin and Robinson matured in mid-decade to push him onto second all-star teams and beyond, it was a skill that even they couldn’t match.”

Old
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Lach is 16 , so same as Henri Richard , both retired.

Bouchard is 3.

The one you're looking for is Geoffrion , number 5.
oh yeah that's it. Habs retired a bunch of numbers and jerseys in a span of something like 5 years. They also retired Dickie Moore's and Cournoyer's # 12 around that time too.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... I'd say this overdue. And do the Habs' have any free numbers left from like 1-10, 11-19 or 20-30?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:42 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by killion View Post
... I'd say this overdue. And do the habs' have any free numbers left from like 1-10, 11-19 or 20-30?
6 , 8 , 11 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 17 , 20 , 21 , 22 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 30 are free.

1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 7 , 9 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 18 , 19 , 23 , 29 are retired.

Old
06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Good for him, the guy was solid with them for many years.

06-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Megahab

I've seen some people saying that the Habs have retired too many numbers. But every player whose number has been retired by the Habs has also been inducted into the Hockey Hall Of Fame, so they still have a higher standard of retired numbers than other teams. This is not like the number of a player on the level of Wendel Clark or Trevor Linden being retired.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:17 PM
eddytheeagle20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
6 , 8 , 11 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 17 , 20 , 21 , 22 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 30 are free.

1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 7 , 9 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 18 , 19 , 23 , 29 are retired.
id have to say 11 maybe retired in the next 3-5 years

eddytheeagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddytheeagle20 View Post
id have to say 11 maybe retired in the next 3-5 years
no way

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I've seen some people saying that the Habs have retired too many numbers. But every player whose number has been retired by the Habs has also been inducted into the Hockey Hall Of Fame, so they still have a higher standard of retired numbers than other teams. This is not like the number of a player on the level of Wendel Clark or Trevor Linden being retired.
Wendel Clark's number wasn't retired.

And quite frankly I think it's a little overkill that the Habs have so many retired numbers. They should demand the highest pinnacle of excellence. Making the Hall of Fame shouldn't be sufficient as a standard for an organization with such a successful, illustrious past.

For instance, former players such as Bob Gainey having their numbers retired? That's lowering the bar far too low IMO.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:42 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Wendel Clark's number wasn't retired.

And quite frankly I think it's a little overkill that the Habs have so many retired numbers. They should demand the highest pinnacle of excellence. Making the Hall of Fame shouldn't be sufficient as a standard for an organization with such a successful, illustrious past.

For instance, former players such as Bob Gainey having their numbers retired? That's lowering the bar far too low IMO.
I agree that Gainey was pushing it too far , but you have to understand the context.When they retired it Gainey was the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and his leadership and contributions to the franchise (both as player and GM) was mostly uncontested at the time.As for Butch Bouchard (which is another one that was a long shot) , his number got retired largely after a long campaign in favor of it made by ex-NHL referee Ron Fournier who is now a popular radio host.The other questionable choice was Cournoyer , which I don't consider worthy , but since his number was the same as Moore and both their careers were over and Cournoyer was still a great player/captain , retiring it at the same time as Moore made some sense.(The same is true for Lapointe , his 5 is already retired for Geoffrion , so no new number is eliminated per say , and the same was true for Lach and H.Richard).

The Lach , Savard , Lapointe , H.Richard , Moore , Geoffrion group all deserve this honor in my mind.Then you have Robinson who is a lock as a top 10 defenseman of all-time (and retiring Robinson's makes it hard not to retire Savard and Lapointe if you would like to argue against them) , then you have the three goalies and finally we have Harvey , M.Richard , Beliveau , Morenz and Lafleur , all legendary players.

So all in all , I think there's two mistakes , but the majority was worthy of this honor.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 07-02-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old
07-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Shootmaster_44

Have the Habs missed anyone deserving of having their jersey retired or is this pretty much it? I don't see Saku Koivu having his number retired and nobody else (1980s onward anyway)was stellar enough to deserve it otherwise. Depending what happens with Price's career, perhaps they could.

As for Chris Chelios, he doesn't ever cross my mind as a Hab, in my mind he is best known for his play with the Hawks. Much the same way as Rogie Vachon, sure he was a quality goalie in Montreal, but he is best known for being an LA King. Granted I don't know lots about the 50s to 70s era and next to nothing about pre-1950.

I know a season doesn't make a career, but the single season shutout record holder doesn't have his number retired. George Hainsworth, had 22 shutouts in a 44 game season in 1928-29 and in 7 seasons with the Habs he had 67 shutouts and 169 wins. I haven't a clue what number he wore, but I'd guess 1 as typically goalies back then wore #1.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Have the Habs missed anyone deserving of having their jersey retired or is this pretty much it? I don't see Saku Koivu having his number retired and nobody else (1980s onward anyway)was stellar enough to deserve it otherwise. Depending what happens with Price's career, perhaps they could.

As for Chris Chelios, he doesn't ever cross my mind as a Hab, in my mind he is best known for his play with the Hawks. Much the same way as Rogie Vachon, sure he was a quality goalie in Montreal, but he is best known for being an LA King. Granted I don't know lots about the 50s to 70s era and next to nothing about pre-1950.

I know a season doesn't make a career, but the single season shutout record holder doesn't have his number retired. George Hainsworth, had 22 shutouts in a 44 game season in 1928-29 and in 7 seasons with the Habs he had 67 shutouts and 169 wins. I haven't a clue what number he wore, but I'd guess 1 as typically goalies back then wore #1.
Saku Koivu is not even in the discussion if we forget that he's recent news.As for Chelios , he didn't play enough here.

Possible candidates would be Aurel Joliat , Toe Blake , J.C. Tremblay , Jacque Laperriere , Tom Johnson and George Vezina.

Also worthy to note that in the current line-up , Subban and Price COULD have this honor if they manage to win a cup or at least have a load of great playoff runs and a long career in Montreal.