HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik Re-Signed [7 Years @ $4.875M AAV]

Old
06-22-2014, 01:45 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
The Mayor was on HNIC radio with Friedman between the Ducks-'Hawks series or between the 'Hawks-Rangers series, anyways it was in between the gap and he told them that Gaborik-Kings had a deal in place but would wait after the season was done to announce it (a la Stoll). I can't seem to find the link but I'll keep looking through Mayor's website. It's there, I just need to find it.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Not saying Gaborik won't stay, but if you can find a player in the last 4 years since the Kings have become a quality/Cup Contender/2x Cup Winner where a player took less to come here/stay here, I'd love to know who you think it was.

There won't be a hometown discount, not with all the money that's out there right now and not if history is any sort of guide.
Quick is the only one, and he made up for it by signing for so long.

Carter and Richards (at the time) took discounts to sign with Philadelphia and Jack Johnson gave the Kings a small discount, and look what it got them, traded. Sure it worked out in the end for Carter and Richards, but that is the classic example of why you have to look out what's best for you, because the team is always going to look out what's best for them and that home town discount that you thought you were giving to LA and Philadelphia could have you in Columbus or Edmonton.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
@MayorNHL: Look for word of Gaborik extension soon. Likely three years, around $5.5 per. W/ Pearson/Toffoli in top 6 now, Ryan likely 50/50.
I said $17 million over 3 years weeks ago..... Let's see how close I'll get.....

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

There we go! Found it:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/05/audio...-canada-radio/

Go to 5:55. It's an 8 minute interview, you can listen to the whole thing. It was a while ago, during the Kings-Ducks series (the end of the series) but that's what the reports are.

That's Friedman's 30 thoughts.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...r-dilemma.html

Quote:
24. Don't think Marian Gaborik is going to hit free agency. During their 2012 Cup run, the Kings quietly did an extension with Jarret Stoll, but waited until it was over to announce. Could see something similar here.
All old news but just a few tidbits.

Old
06-22-2014, 01:57 PM
kingskring

so two days left?

kingskring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:18 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Even if gabbo signs elsewhere, DL will just be set to trade for Bobby Ryan at the deadline.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Quick is the only one, and he made up for it by signing for so long.

Carter and Richards (at the time) took discounts to sign with Philadelphia and Jack Johnson gave the Kings a small discount, and look what it got them, traded. Sure it worked out in the end for Carter and Richards, but that is the classic example of why you have to look out what's best for you, because the team is always going to look out what's best for them and that home town discount that you thought you were giving to LA and Philadelphia could have you in Columbus or Edmonton.
Not sure you can even consider Quick a hometown discount because he'll make more $$ over the life of his deal than Rinne (who was overpaid to stay in NSH) and Quick's contract wouldn't be allowed in this CBA. If the current CBA was in place during the Quick negotiations, 8/$7.25M AAV would have been the deal and you wouldn't say that was an hometown discount.

I think the best you can say about playing in LA is that no longer does the GM have to OVERPAY to keep a guy...They still would have had to overpay to get an UFA here (Kovalchuk & B. Richards the clear examples).

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
KingsHockey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Even if gabbo signs elsewhere, DL will just be set to trade for Bobby Ryan at the deadline.
Williams, Carter, Toffoli, Brown all right handed shots. We would want a guy like Moulson or Cammy.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:29 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHockey24 View Post
Williams, Carter, Toffoli, Brown all right handed shots. We would want a guy like Moulson or Cammy.
No thanks on either of those two. Gabby is the perfect fit for this team. It adds an offensive dimension that most teams will have an incredibly difficult time matching up with. Moulson already had his chance here. Don't want Cammy either - don't care how many goals he can score. Don't like his fit on this team any more.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 02:53 PM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr View Post
No thanks on either of those two. Gabby is the perfect fit for this team. It adds an offensive dimension that most teams will have an incredibly difficult time matching up with. Moulson already had his chance here. Don't want Cammy either - don't care how many goals he can score. Don't like his fit on this team any more.
Lol, weren't fans crying about letting Moulson go a few years ago. That's another thread bump if I can find it.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Depends. Is he being dealt to the Blue Jackets this off-season?

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:15 PM
kingskring

Hopefully we hear something by tuesday, or I would be concered right?

Old
06-22-2014, 06:26 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingskring View Post
Hopefully we hear something by tuesday, or I would be concered right?
No concern
If he wants to wait and see what some team offers Then so be it.
He knows someone might offer him the moon. Even if his mind is made up, he might wait. He may just want his ego fluffed.
If he is going to take less to stay with the Kings, he may just want the most of less

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:53 PM
KingsFan7824

If Gaborik wants to cash in somewhere else, probably one last time, after a career playoff performance, I couldn't blame him. If he wants to come back, for a little bit less, and be in a locker room that seems to be steeped and overflowing in camaraderie, I couldn't blame him.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:06 PM
kingskring

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 6s
Sensing more optimism than before about a Gaborik deal getting done. Talked to his agent today.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Get it done Dean.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:10 PM
KingsCourt

Quote:
Sensing more optimism than before about a Gaborik deal getting done. Talked to his agent today.
Sweet

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The Mayor was on HNIC radio with Friedman between the Ducks-'Hawks series or between the 'Hawks-Rangers series, anyways it was in between the gap and he told them that Gaborik-Kings had a deal in place but would wait after the season was done to announce it (a la Stoll). I can't seem to find the link but I'll keep looking through Mayor's website. It's there, I just need to find it.

Sounds to me like the mayor is dead wrong then. A deal is NOT in place, anyway, according to his agent.

06-22-2014, 10:31 PM
damacles1156

Gabo may want to see what teams offer him, don't blame him. It's his life and he only has about three-five more years to make money playing Hockey.

With his injury concerns it may even be less.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:35 PM
regulate

I don't think too many fans on internet boards are considering that due to the weakening Canadian dollar (as reported in March and quoted by Lombardi), the salary cap could be as low as 68 million. I am reading that the league revenues may have been about 3.7B, which would make the cap 69.5 to 70 million or so I believe. That's a lot less than the 71.1 reported early (if all true), which is definitely going to make for a tight squeeze to get a deal done with Gabby, one of the two UFA defensemen and King. Plus Dean always likes wiggle room.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Sounds to me like the mayor is dead wrong then. A deal is NOT in place, anyway, according to his agent.
Shocking...

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:51 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Some good news, I guess:

Quote:
@LisaDillman

Old
06-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
I don't think too many fans on internet boards are considering that due to the weakening Canadian dollar (as reported in March and quoted by Lombardi), the salary cap could be as low as 68 million. I am reading that the league revenues may have been about 3.7B, which would make the cap 69.5 to 70 million or so I believe. That's a lot less than the 71.1 reported early (if all true), which is definitely going to make for a tight squeeze to get a deal done with Gabby, one of the two UFA defensemen and King. Plus Dean always likes wiggle room.
Some people are, others just choose to bury their heads in the sand, but the topic of the weakening loonie and the effect on league revenue has been discussed on this board. Not only with the new TV contract but with all the money the league makes off Canadian fans, which is significant. The loonie is down a little over 3% since the Rogers deal was signed, but has been down as much as 6%.

Even still, the Kings aren't going to have issues for this season, if for some reason Gaborik isn't brought back then he was the guy they choose to let go of out of him, Williams and Richards. I wouldn't agree with the decision, but that would be the decision management made if for some reason he doesn't return. They just can't afford to pay those guys 15+ million next season.

Old
06-22-2014, 11:34 PM
damacles1156

Williams/Richards have nothing to do with Gabo. You simply don't pay a 32 old often injured Gabo over Six million a season.

That is the definition of a bad contract , unless its only for one year. Thankfully Lombardi appears to be learning from handing out stupid contracts like (Brown,Slava,Stoll).

Again Gabo is not 25, and in his prime. Let some other team pay him 6.5 or 7million a season, and screw their cap situation up.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Williams/Richards have nothing to do with Gabo. You simply don't pay a 32 old often injured Gabo over Six million a season.

That is the definition of a bad contract , unless its only for one year. Thankfully Lombardi appears to be learning from handing out stupid contracts like (Brown,,Slava,Stoll).
Dmac,

Gaborik completely changed the makeup of this team, if he leaves the Kings lose a significant amount of speed, skill and goalscoring.

And the players are absolutely linked together, the Kings obviously aren't getting rid of Kopitar or Carter and Brown would be a long shot. They have enough cap space to fit two of them, and if Gaborik is not re-signed I think he was the odd man out.