HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikitin's rights traded to EDM for 2014 5th round pick, Nikitin signs wiith EDM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2014, 09:09 AM
  #26
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
What if this is apart of something bigger about to happen between the CBJ and EDM? Nikitin could be apart of a package sent to EDM for, say, Eberle or Perron...but the Oilers won't sign off on the trade unless they know that they can for sure sign Nikitin. Thoughts?
I would forget Eberle and Perron (not sure why we keep picking on guys that the other team(s) probably aren't interested in moving), but yes this is the type of thing that seems to make the most sense.

If it's for one of the two guys you mentioned, it's going to be a lot larger and a lot more assets will be coming from out side.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:10 AM
  #27
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Still wouldn't call it "bold".

There seems to be more to this that Nikitin heading over to Edmonton. It is unusual in the NHL.
How is this unusual in the NHL? It is basically the same thing as trading a player's rights to a team for a conditional pick.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:16 AM
  #28
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
What if this is apart of something bigger about to happen between the CBJ and EDM? Nikitin could be apart of a package sent to EDM for, say, Eberle or Perron...but the Oilers won't sign off on the trade unless they know that they can for sure sign Nikitin. Thoughts?

Could be. Hopefully?

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  #29
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
How is this unusual in the NHL? It is basically the same thing as trading a player's rights to a team for a conditional pick.
How is trading the rights for an asset similar to giving someone "free" negotiating rights? Pretty easy distinction to see.

Normal process in the NHL is that you have to pay something in order to negotiate with a player you don't own the rights to.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  #30
FreeBoomer61
Registered User
 
FreeBoomer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I would forget Eberle and Perron (not sure why we keep picking on guys that the other team(s) probably aren't interested in moving), but yes this is the type of thing that seems to make the most sense.

If it's for one of the two guys you mentioned, it's going to be a lot larger and a lot more assets will be coming from out side.
The opinions of fans don't necessarily represent what is going through the heads of a team's executives making the decisions (I'm sure this would get flamed on the main trade boards). I personally would love to have Eberle on our team. Edmonton is looking for more depth, so a deal around Nikitin+Anisimov+Rychel+Mid Pick would be OK in my book. Nikitin is gone for obvious reasons, Anisimov is expendable in my eyes in a trade like this, and I doubt Rychel makes the club this year or next. Eberle would be a huge help offensively...he and Joey together would make one hell of a top line.

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:22 AM
  #31
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
How is trading the rights for an asset similar to giving someone "free" negotiating rights? Pretty easy distinction to see.

Normal process in the NHL is that you have to pay something in order to negotiate with a player you don't own the rights to.
You can't do that if you are trading for one of their players or it is a big deal for one. If you want to think it is some big deal, go ahead. It isn't though.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:27 AM
  #32
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
This is weird. Wonder what type of compensation we'd receive if he actually signed with them?
Judging from how it's likely structured, much more than the usual 5th or 6th for UFA rights. It would be like trading a signed Nikitin about to begin a new contract for whatever his value is from Edmonton.

Here's hoping he signs with the Oilers.

Quote:
Has anyone heard of obtaining the negotiating rights without an actual trade like this before? Is this just the Jackets allowing the Oilers to see if he'd be up to signing before actually trading his rights?
Actually, no. Without permission from the CBJ, this would fall under the tampering guidelines (talking contract with a player under contract to another). It appears that there is a conditional trade on the table which will only be consummated if Nikitin signs with Edmonton; if he doesn't, then Columbus basically gets nothing.

Quote:
Some tool of a fan on TSN in the comments section called this a "bold move". Really? rofl
I think it is. I haven't been able to find the last time that something like this happened.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
  #33
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You can't do that if you are trading for one of their players or it is a big deal for one. If you want to think it is some big deal, go ahead. It isn't though.
The point is typically a trade is made involving something for UFA negotiating rights, and it's done. A team gives up something for the right to negotiate. In this case, it seems nothing has been given up... yet anyway.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:31 AM
  #34
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Actually, no. Without permission from the CBJ, this would fall under the tampering guidelines (talking contract with a player under contract to another).
Did I say anything to suggest that I didn't understand about tampering? Of course the Jackets have to give permission. That wasn't the intent of the questions - I was just fishing to see if anyone had seen this done before. I've seen it in other sports and it really needs to be used by the NHL more.

Quote:
I think it is. I haven't been able to find the last time that something like this happened.
There is nothing bold about giving negotiating rights to a 3/4 (at best) dman.


Last edited by blahblah: 06-20-2014 at 09:38 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:32 AM
  #35
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
There's most likely two things on the table.

If Nikitin hits the UFA market
To CBJ: Nothing
To EDM: Nothing, as they do not actually possess his rights

If Nikitin signs in Edmonton
To EDM: Nikita Nikitin
To CBJ: Whatever an agreed-upon trade return would be for a signed Nikitin, which will likely go beyond the usual 4th or 5th for UFA rights. This could be picks, players, rights, or all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
The point is typically a trade is made involving something for UFA negotiating rights, and it's done. A team gives up something for the right to negotiate. In this case, it seems nothing has been given up... yet anyway.
Definitely not a typical transaction. Of course, it was only a few years ago that trading for a pending UFA was something revolutionary, now it's commonplace.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  #36
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You can't do that if you are trading for one of their players or it is a big deal for one. If you want to think it is some big deal, go ahead. It isn't though.
You know, "weird" is a looooooooooooooooogggggggggggggg f'ing way from "big deal" in my book. I was only saying this is unusual and indicated that this would seem to imply there is something else going on.

I have no idea what your problem is, but quit with giving false impressions of my position. Thanks,

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  #37
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
The point is typically a trade is made involving something for UFA negotiating rights, and it's done. A team gives up something for the right to negotiate. In this case, it seems nothing has been given up... yet anyway.
I know that. Just isn't a big deal or that different to me. Like I said, if people want to think this is a big deal, fine. I don't.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
  #38
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I know that. Just isn't a big deal or that different to me. Like I said, if people want to think this is a big deal, fine. I don't.


Wow are you being difficult this morning. Geez.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
  #39
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Did I say anything to suggest that I didn't understand about tampering? Of course the Jackets have to give permission.
I was saying "No, I don't believe I've heard of a deal with these parameters at any point in the recent past". I was linking it to tampering as far as the fact that, just as tampering involves negotiating without any type of asset going the other way (unless it's found out), nothing is changing hands at this point.

Quote:
There is nothing bold about giving negotiating rights to a 3/4 (at best) dman.
It's bold in that it's something that hasn't been done in the recent past. It's the framework of the deal that's bold, not necessarily the involved players.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:40 AM
  #40
Samkow
Global Moderator
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
So we're just letting them negotiate with him for free?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:40 AM
  #41
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 16,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So we're just letting them negotiate with him for free?
that's what I get out of it...a favor to Ex GMSH?

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  #42
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
The use of Bold is a tired joke, from when MacT's first presser after becoming the Oilers' GM. He said he wanted to make a bold move, so now every time he does something more that scratch his nose, the Bold "joke" is propped up and trotted out.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  #43
Samkow
Global Moderator
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
that's what I get out of it...a favor to Ex GMSH?
That freedom hater?

I wish Nikitin well but he's not a key piece, more of a complementary piece. Edmonton (or anyone) would be foolish to pay him like a key piece.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  #44
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It's bold in that it's something that hasn't been done in the recent past. It's the framework of the deal that's bold, not necessarily the involved players.
I get your point, but I'd put it more in the camp of unusual. Bold indicates taking a risk, I see no risk taking here. Now if Nikitin signs and something else happens that could be classified as "bold".

Nash's first FA contract was far more "bold" than this.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  #45
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
hahahahaha

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 7s
#CBJ don't have a 5th-round draft pick. #Oilers have two, including No. 137 ... which they acquired from #CBJ for Nick Schultz in March.


give us our pick back...
Better yet, give us their own fifth rounder, I presume it's higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
The use of Bold is a tired joke, from when MacT's first presser after becoming the Oilers' GM. He said he wanted to make a bold move, so now every time he does something more that scratch his nose, the Bold "joke" is propped up and trotted out.
Thanks for the clarification.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
  #46
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So we're just letting them negotiate with him for free?
See previous discussion- I agree that we are letting them do it "for free" because if they can agree on a contract we are going to get paid something. And it will be for more than the usual low round pick. If not Jarmo will be edging closer to XGMDM status.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  #47
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
If not Jarmo will be edging closer to XGMDM status.
Jarmo has a long, long, long way to go before he's in Dougie Mac's atmosphere. Until we know the entire situation, I think we all need to pump the brakes a little bit.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:22 AM
  #48
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
CBJSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 8,026
vCash: 500
This is the new reality with the Interview window. Teams who have already traded picks for negotiating rights likely didn't know the Interview window would take effect this year.

Why would a team trade for rights to talk to someone when they could wait a few days to talk to them?

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:29 AM
  #49
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
This is the new reality with the Interview window. Teams who have already traded picks for negotiating rights likely didn't know the Interview window would take effect this year.

Why would a team trade for rights to talk to someone when they could wait a few days to talk to them?
Just to get a jump on the window I guess. Once it starts it seems that the rights are useless although if you have the rights I guess you could get a signed agreement prior to July 1 which you can't do without. Yeah, right.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  #50
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,828
vCash: 500
I will remember him fondly because he gave us this:


Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.