HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikitin's rights traded to EDM for 2014 5th round pick, Nikitin signs wiith EDM

Old
06-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Dema

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Can you guys give me a run-down on Nikitin's game please? Like most Oilers fans, I'm excited to get him. How is he defensively, offensively? How is he in the corners? Anything you can think of will be much appreciated.
I agree with people on here that say Nikitin is a 4-5 Dman, but thats because it was all that was asked of him. 2nd PP unit guy? sure...because he never got the chance (on a regular basis) to play on the 1st unit. Nikitin could become a 2-3 dman given the chance and on the Oilers; he should get it. Plus he's just entering his prime and for Dmen like him, should only get better with experience. Provided he feels motivated to do so and with a 2 year deal; he should.

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Saad Panda
Farewell, Starman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
I agree with people on here that say Nikitin is a 4-5 Dman, but thats because it was all that was asked of him. 2nd PP unit guy? sure...because he never got the chance (on a regular basis) to play on the 1st unit. Nikitin could become a 2-3 dman given the chance and on the Oilers; he should get it. Plus he's just entering his prime and for Dmen like him, should only get better with experience. Provided he feels motivated to do so and with a 2 year deal; he should.
He had ample opportunity in 2011-12 and did well. Then after the lockout he came here either out of shape or unmotivated because he hasn't looked the same. Giving him top minutes would be a mistake.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Nikitin could become a 2-3 dman given the chance and on the Oilers; he should get it. Plus he's just entering his prime and for Dmen like him, should only get better with experience. Provided he feels motivated to do so and with a 2 year deal; he should.
He should never be on the top pairing for any length of time. That #2 of the 2/3 is inaccurate. It's ok for a few games if you have injuries, but you will just be a bad team with him on your top pairing. It's not fair to him and not fair to your team and fans.

Put people in the roles they belong in.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:36 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He should never be on the top pairing for any length of time. That #2 of the 2/3 is inaccurate. It's ok for a few games if you have injuries, but you will just be a bad team with him on your top pairing. It's not fair to him and not fair to your team and fans.

Put people in the roles they belong in.
He isn't currently at that level of play, no one disputes that. But in 2011/2012 he was, and all that was said is that he might return to that form.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:32 AM
BluejacketNut

He wasnt traded for Kris Russell because Russell was awesome I think a lot of his success here early on was due to change in scenery, and maybe he gets a jolt again from that. But he's most effective as a 5/6 dman, putting him higher is playing him higher then he should....the most classic of CBJ past traits. $4.5m is insane for him

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:18 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
He wasnt traded for Kris Russell because Russell was awesome I think a lot of his success here early on was due to change in scenery, and maybe he gets a jolt again from that. But he's most effective as a 5/6 dman, putting him higher is playing him higher then he should....the most classic of CBJ past traits. $4.5m is insane for him
Sorry but "change of scenery" does not explain how a third pair d-man was as good as he was in 11-12. Nikitin has some skills and does some things very well. He might become Edmonton's best defenceman.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Sorry but "change of scenery" does not explain how a third pair d-man was as good as he was in 11-12. Nikitin has some skills and does some things very well. He might become Edmonton's best defenceman...
...which isn't saying much. For us, he was a third pairing guy. If he becomes a top pairing guy on the worst defensive team in the last decade, then so be it.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:19 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sorry but "change of scenery" does not explain how a third pair d-man was as good as he was in 11-12. Nikitin has some skills and does some things very well. He might become Edmonton's best defenceman.
Perhaps he was just playing really well and a little over his abilities. People forget that players aren't robots. Their level of play ebbs and flows - the swings seem pretty great with Nikitin, too great to be dependable when others are more steady, even if their highs aren't as high...

Old
06-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Dema

Doesnt change the fact he can play at that level.

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:31 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Nikitin's situation reminds me a bit of like Methot's. I will say that Methot is the superior player of the two, but both were 2nd/3rd pairing guys who got moved due to youth/depth and then had / will have the opportunity to play big roles for their new clubs.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:33 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Nikitin's situation reminds me a bit of like Methot's. I will say that Methot is the superior player of the two, but both were 2nd/3rd pairing guys who got moved due to youth/depth and then had / will have the opportunity to play big roles for their new clubs.
Very good comparison.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
...which isn't saying much. For us, he was a third pairing guy. If he becomes a top pairing guy on the worst defensive team in the last decade, then so be it.
I think this could potentially describe Nikitin's position in 11/12. CBJ were the worst team in the league BY FAR. Getting top pair minutes on that team does not necessarily indicate a top pair potential. Just happened to be situational. Maybe?

I think Nikitin is a solid 2nd pair guy and can help a team trying to improve the back end. I don't see him as one of THE guys. I'd like to see him do well. Nice guy when I met him and I think he's a team first guy.

by the way, I am agreeing with you here.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:23 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Doesnt change the fact he can play at that level.
Sure. Perhaps some bottom feeder that doesn't want to make the playoffs will ignore his deficiencies and allow him to play 25 minutes a night. Next, let's have them sign Stralman was their #1.

I'm sure some will take his as I don't like Nikitin. I like him just fine. As a 3/4 and emergency 1/2 in the event of injury.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I think this could potentially describe Nikitin's position in 11/12. CBJ were the worst team in the league BY FAR. Getting top pair minutes on that team does not necessarily indicate a top pair potential. Just happened to be situational. Maybe?

I think Nikitin is a solid 2nd pair guy and can help a team trying to improve the back end. I don't see him as one of THE guys. I'd like to see him do well. Nice guy when I met him and I think he's a team first guy.

Surely!

The one question I have for all of you, regardless of which side you're on: Would you pay Nikitin the money Edmonton is paying him?

Old
06-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

no....stupid 4 characters.... NO

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Surely!

The one question I have for all of you, regardless of which side you're on: Would you pay Nikitin the money Edmonton is paying him?
I think his is situation dependent. As the CBJ in their current position, no way. However, given the 2 year term for EDM I think the deal is OK. He's a decent 2nd pair option and a plus 3rd pair guy. Taking a chance for only two years seems like limited risk for them. I couldn't see this in Columbus.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Surely!

Just because more than two characters

Old
06-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Surely!

Would I? No, we didn't need to.

That said, if Jarmo did pay him that for 2 years like Edmonton I'd think it was the wrong move but it wouldn't be a huge deal. I'd have to recheck cap geek but I don't think it would edge anybody out and we could probably afford it. It would, however, set a bad precedent for Prout, Savard, and Erixon though down the road.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Would I? No, we didn't need to.

That said, if Jarmo did pay him that for 2 years like Edmonton I'd think it was the wrong move but it wouldn't be a huge deal. I'd have to recheck cap geek but I don't think it would edge anybody out and we could probably afford it. It would, however, set a bad precedent for Prout, Savard, and Erixon though down the road.
For what it's worth, here are some of the comparables on capgeek.com:

Dan Hamhuis
Fedor Tyutin
Braydon Coburn
Kevin Bieksa
Alex Goligoski
Ryan McDonagh
Jack Johnson
Jason Garrison
M-E Vlasic

Of that list of 10 (including Nikitin); I would place Nikitin somewhere between 8-10. If I'm ordering them:

1. McDonagh
2. Vlasic
3. Hamhuis
4. Johnson
5. Bieksa
6. Garrison
7. Tyutin
8. Goligoski
9. Nikitin
10. Coburn

What that means to me is that, Nikitin is slightly overpaid. But, the same argument could be made for maybe 4-5 other guys on this list. I agree with most of your sentiments ... that's not a contract we needed to get ourselves into, as Nikitin was made basically expendable by the play of guys like Savard, Murray, and even Dalton Prout.

If we could have kept Nikitin for 1-2 years at a $2.5-$3m/year cap hit, I think that would have been okay. But this is a weaker free agent market than normal, and obviously guys like this are at a premium in weaker years. I hope he does well in Edmonton, but I don't think he'll be the answer to their problems.

Old
06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post

No, in 11-12 Nikitin wasn't just playing top pair minutes. He got them because he was playing top pair quality at both ends.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:16 PM
thebus2288*

I just wanted to come in here in say that I hope and believe that if given regular time on the PP(which I'm sure is the plan) Nik will be the highest scoring defenseman for them. Anywhere from 40-50 points is possible. I think him and Schultz will mesh well.

I'll be giving updates compared to "other" PP QB's throughout the year.

thebus2288* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
No, in 11-12 Nikitin wasn't just playing top pair minutes. He got them because he was playing top pair quality at both ends.
So did Grant Clitsome the year before.

Old
06-29-2014, 06:26 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
I just wanted to come in here in say that I hope and believe that if given regular time on the PP(which I'm sure is the plan) Nik will be the highest scoring defenseman for them. Anywhere from 40-50 points is possible. I think him and Schultz will mesh well.

Wow, can't wait.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:19 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post

Can't wait for Nikitin's 20 point season either!

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
FlaggerX

No way Nikitin is worth what Edmonton is paying him. No way I'd support the Jackets paying him that kind of money so it was a good deal overall. Besides, it makes space for Erixon who needs to be up here or we'll lose him.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote