HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you, Brad Richards.

Old
06-20-2014, 04:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*

vCash: 500
Thank you, Brad Richards.

Have seen other threads for player appreciation, and felt Richie deserves one as a good bye.

Personally, I feel as though he contributed a lot to the Rangera growth as a contender over the past three seasons. With Richards' leadership the Rangers have gone to the Eastern Conference Final twice and the Stanley Cup Final.

Thank you for helping to guide the younger core players, and sorry we couldn't bring home the Cup.

Good luck continuing what has been a great NHL career.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:13 PM
JeremyNYR

He did a great job bouncing back this season, knowing that a buyout was all but guaranteed no matter how hard he played. That shows great character and shouldn't be forgotten.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
He did a great job bouncing back this season, knowing that a buyout was all but guaranteed no matter how hard he played. That shows great character and shouldn't be forgotten.
Character? The guy realized he was playing for a job.

06-20-2014, 04:17 PM
stan the caddy

He didn't bounce back. That narrative started before the season began and for whatever reason people just kept running with it.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:21 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
He didn't bounce back. That narrative started before the season began and for whatever reason people just kept running with it.
yep. his ppg was higher in his "bad" year than it was last year.

He was always a massive disappointment no matter how anyone spins it. Never even approached a PPG.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
He did.

His PPG might've been higher last year, but he went against Charmin soft competition. He went against tougher competition this year and performed at the same level, which means he did better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He did.

His PPG might've been higher last year, but he went against Charmin soft competition. He went against tougher competition this year and performed at the same level, which means he did better.
What are you basing this on? What is anyone basing his bounce back on?

People were parroting this narrative before the season started. He was the same underwhelming Brad that was given every single chance to succeed including all the power play time in the world. The guy would go entire games without showing any defensive effort.

Old
06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Calad
Section 422

Thanks for the awesome memories, Richie. The 2012 Winter Classic and the playoff run following it, as well as an insane ride this year. Best of luck moving forward!

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:33 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

I hated Richards while he was here.

Reflecting back, the guy wasn't terrible. He just wasn't as good as he was billed. We got him to be a 1C, and he played like a 2C/3C tweener. He was a massive disappointment based on expectations/contract/performance.

He's got great character, he's a great leader, and he was always honest about **** in interviews. I can respect that. I wish him well. I hope he goes somewhere and finds a niche.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Idlerlee

vCash: 145
Richie was the architect of some big plays for us in the early season when we needed it the most, so he deserves respect for that, and his leadership in his time here.

Very dissapointing playoffs, but other than that, I'm sure his teammates will miss him

Idlerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
eco's bones

Seriously I thought the Rangers should have bought him out a year ago.

He's well remunerated for his time here. Does he need a thank you too?

Anyway this year he had some good games. He had some bad games. Mostly he had average/mediocre games. He was pretty good in the first two playoff series--started going missing in the Montreal series and was absolutely awful in the Cup finals.

For his three years here--I expected a lot more. He didn't bring enough offense--even with tons of pwp time and had a hard time finding chemistry with any of his teammates. He had problems keeping up an average NHL pace. Defensively he was not good--somewhere between poor and average. I kind of pictured we were going to get a heady point a game player. He wasn't very heady. He made numerous miscues--forced way too many plays and a lot of them bit us in the ass. Just about the last forward I would have wanted on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead in the last minute of a game.

I get the leadership thing. It went missing last year in the playoffs but was there for most of this year's playoffs. Still part of leadership is doing it on the ice. As the playoffs went on he did less and less.

He made a lot of money from us--there's a lot more still to come. He took up a lot of cap space and didn't deliver satisfactorily. That's how he's going to be remembered. More than less he failed here.

Apart from that he seems to be a very good guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Pugs35

The Rangers won 9 playoff series with Brad Richards. Before signing him, we won 7 in the previous 13 years.

That's a crazy stat, and probably mostly coincidental. But I'm going to give him at least some credit for that.

I'll also never forget Game 5 of the Washington series 2 years ago. That was genuinely awesome.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:05 PM
StepansLabyrinth
Rational Police

He had some good games, some not so good games... but he was a solid presence in the locker room at all times. He's a good guy that just fell off. Can't blame him for that. He always gave his all.

StepansLabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:07 PM
NYRKING30

Never wanted this guy in the first place 31- can confirm that i basically said "another over the hill 30 plus year old coming for retirement slowing dwon every year. I feel vindicated lol. In all seriousness this guy is a leader and has true heart. I livew in Staten Island and first hand saw what he did here during hurricane sandy. I can never thank him enough for that. Good look in the future Brad.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:08 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
The Rangers won 9 playoff series with Brad Richards. Before signing him, we won 7 in the previous 13 years.

That's a crazy stat, and probably mostly coincidental. But I'm going to give him at least some credit for that.

I'll also never forget Game 5 of the Washington series 2 years ago. That was genuinely awesome.
This. That goal propelled them into an ECF, literally.... ( i know it was only game 5, but had we gone down 3-2, we'd be finished).

TheTakedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Vitto79

Sather made the right move keeping him this yr . No better options and the team almost won it all.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
I thank him for his 4-5 clutch goals, and his Hurricane Sandy efforts. The latter of which I'll never forget.

Other than that, buh bye.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Capt McDonut
Free Mcilrath

Good past couple of years brad but in the end ur cap was to much for wat u brought and u were signed for far far to long... His legs were gone and then even if he had them he was very prone to random passes to no one or the other team

Capt McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Crazed Beaver

Ty Mr. Madoff for donating millions towards lymphoma research, am I playing right?

Crazed Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:40 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 24m
Statement from Richards: "Tough last few days...I loved being a Ranger and living in New York..."

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Seriously I thought the Rangers should have bought him out a year ago.

He's well remunerated for his time here. Does he need a thank you too?

Anyway this year he had some good games. He had some bad games. Mostly he had average/mediocre games. He was pretty good in the first two playoff series--started going missing in the Montreal series and was absolutely awful in the Cup finals.

For his three years here--I expected a lot more. He didn't bring enough offense--even with tons of pwp time and had a hard time finding chemistry with any of his teammates. He had problems keeping up an average NHL pace. Defensively he was not good--somewhere between poor and average. I kind of pictured we were going to get a heady point a game player. He wasn't very heady. He made numerous miscues--forced way too many plays and a lot of them bit us in the ass. Just about the last forward I would have wanted on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead in the last minute of a game.

I get the leadership thing. It went missing last year in the playoffs but was there for most of this year's playoffs. Still part of leadership is doing it on the ice. As the playoffs went on he did less and less.

He made a lot of money from us--there's a lot more still to come. He took up a lot of cap space and didn't deliver satisfactorily. That's how he's going to be remembered. More than less he failed here.

Apart from that he seems to be a very good guy.
Bingo. Pretty much how I feel. Seems like a good guy, everyone in the room said he was helpful, but the on-ice performance was not that of a 1st line center and that's what Richards was signed to be. And I have no pity, the man earned over $31 million the three years he was here. Just another mercenary in a long line of them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 24m
Statement from Richards: "Tough last few days...I loved being a Ranger and living in New York..."
He can always keep the apartment here and hang out during the off-season if he loves NYC so much. Don't think the prices are a problem.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Thank you Brad Richards......for showing up to camp in 2013 grossly out of shape. What kind of "leadership and "intangibles" message did that send?

The guy got paid a ton of money. Is still getting paid a ton of money from the Rangers. What the hell are we thanking him for?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:56 PM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#Mikachu

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post

It was 6 actually.

- Ottawa - Washington - X
- Washington - X
- Philadelphia - Pittsburgh - Montreal - X

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 05:58 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Thank you Brad Richards......for showing up to camp in 2013 grossly out of shape. What kind of "leadership and "intangibles" message did that send?

The guy got paid a ton of money. Is still getting paid a ton of money from the Rangers. What the hell are we thanking him for?
Hey, he made fun of Sestito during the WC = leader.

I'll give him credit for being what he was, a 50-60 pt center. Those guys don't exactly grow on trees. However, his bounce back and leadership prowess, get out of here with that.