Ducks Open House 6/20/14

Old
06-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Ducks Open House 6/20/14

I'm cross posting this here as well
As the roster thread because a lot of it isn't roster related. Apologies for the wall of text.

Ducks open house notes

Tim Ryan
1M for upper terrace food improvements
Wild wing statue is coming back
71M in improvements to building by owners.
How do we stop opposing fans from taking over stadium - half the fans aren't from this area. 10-12K season ticket holders. Many of them take advantage of ticket brokers. About time that the FANS get pissed off, and get loud and proud. (Basically called out our fans as being crap, which I fully agree with) except on a few notable occasions (for the first time in 20 years).
Organist - fan feels would help with interaction and over chanting opposing fans, Ryan says entire entertainment package will be examined, hard to satisfy entire demographic.

BM -
Credited staff, pro and amateur staff just getting to where he's comfortable.
It's great they could come back from 4 down, but how the hell did we get 4 down.
Holes in team, no 2C since Andy Mac left.
Not happy with defense as a whole.
Improve accountability as a team.
Met with BB, want to hire a new defensive coach.
Schedule out by Monday
Special night for Selanne mid January.
Kings get ahead and the don't defend, they check. Difference in philosophy of team, not just the defensemen. Go through people. Didn't really talk about if Ducks would do it.
Rookies are the plan for goal. Fight it out, in 2-3 years one will be very unhappy.
Hiller commented how what happened to him is ironic, similar to what he did with Giguere.
********* got up and blasted them for no trade deadline acquisition compared to Kings. Ducks were offering far more and didn't get the player. Gaborik was on list but down a fair ways, Getzlaf and Perry not fast enough (as per Getzlaf) to expect the same results.
Lost our shot for the point for good - Souray is finished.
Silfverberg one of the best players in the playoffs in a role he's not accustomed to.
Give the Ryan trade 4-5 years before evaluating it.
#10 pick will not be playing in NHL this year, that takes maybe 4-5.
Penner - sometimes things are done not because of things on the ice.
No more "Ducks" on jerseys. White jersey will be unveiled at draft.
Probably not putting up western conference regular season championship banner. Goals are much higher.
Theodore coming along very well. Yawney very happy with development of him and Manson, doesn't want to give either up.
Cap - owner allows spending above revenues, but won't be a full cep team until revenues go up. 23rd in revenue last year from 27th the year before. Goal is teens.
#10 pick - 1st round pick is always BPA. Never draft for position.
Why get rid if Winnik? Younger players coming in who need playing time and may score more goals than he could. They want three scoring lines, four if possible.
2C - RFA sheets almost never work. We aren't in a position to hand out ridiculous bonuses like Weber.
Robidas - he doesn't know, wants to see how rehab goes, sounded doubtful about him being on the team.
How is Kesler trade going? - offer won't be as good, lost a playoff series. A "bit more things out there". "The press is throwing names at you, don't think that's all that's out there"
Credited team for responding when Souray went out.
Why wasn't Kesler traded - "something didn't go right, that's all I can say"

Getzlaf
Who do you want playing behind you, Kesler or Spezza? - under contract, can't comment legally.
Faceoffs -team focus, better this year, will keep working at it. Team effort, not just centers. BM - we suck at them. Todd Marchant working with team on them. Overplayed Getzlaf because of faceoffs. Team doesn't help centers enough.
Fan asked about Vatanen playing wing - Sami has not ever been considered at RW, "could be here next year if he keeps coming along".
Penner - friends for a long time, a lot of things go on behind the scenes fans never see that goes into that decision, without going into it he showed inconsistencies that made him not work.
On becoming a leader - had to work out how to make family time work. Credited wife.
Game 7 - a little bit nervous, a lot of young players, if he knew what to say in the locker room he would have said it then.
Child asked who would throw pucks into crowd during warmups. Getzlaf said the team would have more pucks now, but he'd designate someone to do it now
Why wasn't Kesler traded - "because they have to play us"

As an aside, we have some stupidly arrogant and rude fans who feel entitled enough to publicly criticize management.

Last edited by Ducks DVM: 06-21-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Edit - fixed Vatanen autocorrect mystery
Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:18 AM
DaGeneral

Love this. Thank you.

Entitled fans = OC fans?

I'm not an Angels fan, but I see it in their fan base. It could just be a So Cal thing, too.

DaGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 864
"Sammy has not ever been considered at RW, "could be here next year if he keeps coming along"."

I don't really understand this. Who's Sammy? (You talking about Sami Vatanen?)

Snoop Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Ducks666 View Post
"Sammy has not ever been considered at RW, "could be here next year if he keeps coming along"."

I don't really understand this. Who's Sammy? (You talking about Sami Vatanen?)
A fan asked if they had considered Vatanen on right wing. It was a no.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:32 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
A fan asked if they had considered Vatanen on right wing. It was a no.
I see. Thanks.

Old
06-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Interesting notes about Penner.

Thanks for the write up.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Eddie Shack

Nothing about the PPPP (piss poor power play), other than the general problem of winning faceoffs?

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

They mentioned it needed work, and that losing Souray hurt. They wouldn't talk about any player under contract to another team = they wouldn't talk about any players whatsoever. Getzlaf did comment that defensemen like that "don't grow on trees". No specifics on the PP though, no.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Paul4587

Thanks for the write up!

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Great insight, always love how candid they can be. I wish our fans were smarter, but whatever. People are morons.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
They mentioned it needed work, and that losing Souray hurt. They wouldn't talk about any player under contract to another team = they wouldn't talk about any players whatsoever. Getzlaf did comment that defensemen like that "don't grow on trees". No specifics on the PP though, no.
I was hoping they might have addressed it more along the lines of coaching responsibility changes for next year as opposed to getting some other player(s). It isn't like we throw 5 dogs over the boards on the PP. They just look like it too often.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:06 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Also, Steve Carroll couldn't be there tonight (which he generally is) because he recently lost his mother. Tim Ryan said he'd be with the organization until his voice gives out then I chimed in "or until he forgets the player's names". I don't think anyone in that group got the joke.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:16 AM
SoCalHockey

I'm glad they called out our fan base. It is extremely lackluster most nights. I always felt like they need to incorporate some ques to get chants started. And for gods sake we need to get rid of our crap chant of, "Let's go DUUUuuuucks". Sounds so bad.

SoCalHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:30 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
BM -
Credited staff, pro and amateur staff just getting to where he's comfortable.
It's great they could come back from 4 down, but how the hell did we get 4 down.
Holes in team, no 2C since Andy Mac left.
Not happy with defense as a whole.
Improve accountability as a team.
Met with BB, want to hire a new defensive coach.
Schedule out by Monday
Special night for Selanne mid January.
Kings get ahead and the don't defend, they check. Difference in philosophy of team, not just the defensemen. Go through people. Didn't really talk about if Ducks would do it.
Rookies are the plan for goal. Fight it out, in 2-3 years one will be very unhappy.
Hiller commented how what happened to him is ironic, similar to what he did with Giguere.
********* got up and blasted them for no trade deadline acquisition compared to Kings. Ducks were offering far more and didn't get the player. Gaborik was on list but down a fair ways, Getzlaf and Perry not fast enough (as per Getzlaf) to expect the same results.
Lost our shot for the point for good - Souray is finished.
Silfverberg one of the best players in the playoffs in a role he's not accustomed to.
Give the Ryan trade 4-5 years before evaluating it.
#10 pick will not be playing in NHL this year, that takes maybe 4-5.
Penner - sometimes things are done not because of things on the ice.
No more "Ducks" on jerseys. White jersey will be unveiled at draft.
Probably not putting up western conference regular season championship banner. Goals are much higher.
Theodore coming along very well. Yawney very happy with development of him and Manson, doesn't want to give either up.
Cap - owner allows spending above revenues, but won't be a full cep team until revenues go up. 23rd in revenue last year from 27th the year before. Goal is teens.
#10 pick - 1st round pick is always BPA. Never draft for position.
Why get rid if Winnik? Younger players coming in who need playing time and may score more goals than he could. They want three scoring lines, four if possible.
2C - RFA sheets almost never work. We aren't in a position to hand out ridiculous bonuses like Weber.
Robidas - he doesn't know, wants to see how rehab goes, sounded doubtful about him being on the team.
How is Kesler trade going? - offer won't be as good, lost a playoff series. A "bit more things out there". "The press is throwing names at you, don't think that's all that's out there"
Credited team for responding when Souray went out.
Why wasn't Kesler traded - "something didn't go right, that's all I can say"
interesting....

also if BM is so concerned about overall team defense, why are we replacing winnik with a rookie? that means we need a viable solution on the blueline.....

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 02:58 AM
perrygetzanother

Quote:
As an aside, we have some stupidly arrogant and rude fans who feel entitled enough to publicly criticize management.
ummm... you mean the people that buy season tickets feel entitled to ***** at management? go figure. do you eat your big mac when you ordered chicken nuggets? mighty pretentious of you to refer to them as entitled.

I bet BM wasn't going "omg **** you entitled puckbunnies". season ticket holders are quite valuable and if we as fans blindly support a team that makes blunder decisions, we'll be the Chicago cubs in no time! you know why san jose has been so weak? because their fanbase will find reasons to justify the behavior instead of coming down on them for it. same with the chargers. you know why the kings are good right now? the same reason they had no fans til 2012 - when they suck, the fans don't come. same with the teams in NYC. people got options, make sure management knows when you're not happy. dont eat the big mac. win or we go to the beach instead. it's the right message to send to management, even if they aren't as educated as you.

i didn't renew my season tickets this year.

perrygetzanother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHockey View Post
I'm glad they called out our fan base. It is extremely lackluster most nights. I always felt like they need to incorporate some ques to get chants started. And for gods sake we need to get rid of our crap chant of, "Let's go DUUUuuuucks". Sounds so bad.
this right here

i understand the games against the kings and red wings where tons of opposing fans show up, i get it and nothing can really be done about it

but there's just no energy in the building most of the time and that needs to change. something needs to be done to get more out of the crowd

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 03:27 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrygetzanother View Post
After the best regular season in franchise history?

I really don't get what people expect from Bob Murray. He took over a team that had no prospect pool and hardly a good roster and it took him some time to mold it into his team. A team that was 2nd in the NHL after the regular season and lost to the eventual champions in a 7 game series. Add to that a great contract situation for the team and a really good prospect pool.

What is there to criticise? Yeah we didn't win the cup, but so did 29 other teams. He didn't get Kesler, but that is not his fault. If Vancouver doesn't do business what do people expect him to do?

And the Kings are good right now because they picked Kopitar in 2005 not Ryan, got really lucky in being in the 2nd overall spot when a generational defenseman was available, had Quick turn into a generational goalie and had help from the Flyers because they basically gave them 2 great centers for their team.
Nothing of the Kings success can be credited to their fan base. Huge plus for them though for being loud and not being adamant of having to be "classy".

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 03:42 AM
JeffShibley

Quote:
ummm... you mean the people that buy season tickets feel entitled to ***** at management? go figure. do you eat your big mac when you ordered chicken nuggets? mighty pretentious of you to refer to them as entitled.

I bet BM wasn't going "omg **** you entitled puckbunnies". season ticket holders are quite valuable and if we as fans blindly support a team that makes blunder decisions, we'll be the Chicago cubs in no time! you know why san jose has been so weak? because their fanbase will find reasons to justify the behavior instead of coming down on them for it. same with the chargers. you know why the kings are good right now? the same reason they had no fans til 2012 - when they suck, the fans don't come. same with the teams in NYC. people got options, make sure management knows when you're not happy. dont eat the big mac. win or we go to the beach instead. it's the right message to send to management, even if they aren't as educated as you.

"win or we go to the beach instead"

Ducks won more than any other team in the west...just stick to the beach.

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:

Umm you realize there is only 1 champion every year right? We were the second best team in the league and we have the best future when you consider the ammount of under 25 talent we have on the team and our prospects as well as top forwards in the league locked up.

There is a difference between valid criticism and blind hate. Blaming Bob for not getting Kesler at the deadline is a joke. Blaming Bob for not addressing our holes this summer? That is a valid criticism.

There are more all-star players available now then I can ever remember. We have more assets then anyone and we need to take advantage. If he doesnt do that then you can *****.

Old
06-21-2014, 04:00 AM
perrygetzanother

that reply is what im afraid of.

the best regular season in franchise history. AWESOME! lets throw them a gd parade! hey they tried, they did well when it didnt count, they sucked when it mattered most - lets keep supporting em, positive reinforcement for disappointing us. lets go ahead and accept the playoff failures and thats just what this team will be. we'll be san jose south, san diego chargers north, and we'll have a constant stream of fans saying "nah, we dont mind having to listen to kings fans at work/school/etc taunt us for the next year, at least we won the division when it didnt matter!"

at least BM seems like he sorta gets it. they're not hanging western conference reg season banner, so that's promising.

the 2nd round playoff series this year mirrors the first rounder from last year. bad refs last year imo, but not as bad this year. simply put, the ducks had no will, no desire to even show up in g7. they looked sedated coming out and never woke up... i think perry must have given the pregame speech.

and i drove in from glendale. f that.

getzlaf after the game: oh well we had a great season, did some things etc etc. its disappointing.

let me finish that for you getzy; but hey, i got a baby girl and a fat bank account so ima go hit the golfcourse with perry, brb gotta text my boy kopitar good luck against chicago.

yeah, i dont think he cared, and he's my favorite player. f that.

ducks did well in the qualifiers and then **** the bed in the real season, you know the one that actually matters. at least it seems like BM cares right now. we'll see what happens. maybe BB can win a presidents trophy and call it a year again. Then we can get curbstomped by the queens and have to listen to that godawful fanbase gloat for another solid year.

yeah, not gonna put money back into that situation this year. maybe they'll show me something and i'll invest in a playoff pack. til then, its a lot of hayward and hopefully no nbc broadcasts.

edit: didnt say i blame BM for the kesler trade situation, but ultimately he's responsible for whats on the ice. if somebody wants to drop 4-5 digits on season tickets for a seat to 41 games, they have the right to yell at the guy responsible for the season ending in disappointment. did BM take any of the criticism to heart? do you think their words got through to him?

you're completely right, the future is bright, stars are good etc etc and blah blah blah. show me something first. otherwise i'll save my pennies.

perrygetzanother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 04:30 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
you're completely right, the future is bright, stars are good etc etc and blah blah blah. show me something first. otherwise i'll save my pennies.
We were the #2 team the the regular season and #5 team in the playoffs. Like I said, only one team wins every year. If you want to save your pennies then that's your right.

Just like it's my right to find your timing to cancel your season tickets hilarious. This was the second best season in franchise history.

Old
06-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:

the best regular season in franchise history. AWESOME! lets throw them a gd parade! hey they tried, they did well when it didnt count, they sucked when it mattered most - lets keep supporting em, positive reinforcement for disappointing us. lets go ahead and accept the playoff failures and thats just what this team will be. we'll be san jose south, san diego chargers north, and we'll have a constant stream of fans saying "nah, we dont mind having to listen to kings fans at work/school/etc taunt us for the next year, at least we won the division when it didnt matter!"

at least BM seems like he sorta gets it. they're not hanging western conference reg season banner, so that's promising.

the 2nd round playoff series this year mirrors the first rounder from last year. bad refs last year imo, but not as bad this year. simply put, the ducks had no will, no desire to even show up in g7. they looked sedated coming out and never woke up... i think perry must have given the pregame speech.

getzlaf after the game: oh well we had a great season, did some things etc etc. its disappointing.

let me finish that for you getzy; but hey, i got a baby girl and a fat bank account so ima go hit the golfcourse with perry, brb gotta text my boy kopitar good luck against chicago.

ducks did well in the qualifiers and then **** the bed in the real season, you know the one that actually matters. at least it seems like BM cares right now. we'll see what happens. maybe BB can win a presidents trophy and call it a year again. Then we can get curbstomped by the queens and have to listen to that godawful fanbase gloat for another solid year.

yeah, not gonna put money back into that situation this year. maybe they'll show me something and i'll invest in a playoff pack. til then, its a lot of hayward and hopefully no nbc broadcasts.

edit: didnt say i blame BM for the kesler trade situation, but ultimately he's responsible for whats on the ice. if somebody wants to drop 4-5 digits on season tickets for a seat to 41 games, they have the right to yell at the guy responsible for the season ending in disappointment. did BM take any of the criticism to heart? do you think their words got through to him?

Does it occur to you that maybe these things come in stages, that it wasn't all going to miraculously happen all at once? The Kings have won two Stanley cups. They didn't dominate right out of the gates. This team is just emerging from a rebuild, and so far it is looking to be a successful one.

I don't care if you renew your season tickets or not, that's your prerogative, but any notion that this season is a failure of any sort is a ******* joke.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Yemeth

Ooooh, nice! Thank you all for the additional comments and Ducks DVM and duckaroosky for their work on the writeup!

Really appreciated!

Yemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Does it occur to you that maybe these things come in stages, that it wasn't all going to miraculously happen all at once? The Kings have won two Stanley cups. They didn't dominate right out of the gates. This team is just emerging from a rebuild, and so far it is looking to be a successful one.

I don't care if you renew your season tickets or not, that's your prerogative, but any notion that this season is a failure of any sort is a ******* joke.
Bull ****. When the NHL was established in 2012, the Kings won the Cup right away.

Old
06-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Unagi

Quote:

How is a great regular season anything to disregard? Plenty of teams throughout the years finished in the Top 5 of the NHL but didn't go on to win the cup. That does not mean the season is a failure. We lost in game 7 with a very young team against a LA Kings team in its prime. Who won the Cup 2 times in 3 years and who last year went to the conference finals. It is their time now. They will regress, just part of sports.
If you can't support your team in good times (which is definitely now), why support it at all? You can just declare yourself a fan of the current champion every year - problem solved.
If you are bothered by Kings fans laugh right back at them for taking 40 years to win 2 cups. Ducks have won it once in 20 years of existence. Boasting and eating crows is part of being a fan of any sports team.

In game 7 the nerves showed of a very young core. As said before LA has been there before with a veteran group, it happens. Worse than the team was the pathetic crowd who offered no support at all and not even trying to fire our guys up again. It frankly was the most embarassing home crowd I have ever seen in any sport in 27 years.

Why are you hating on Getzlaf so much? Okay he didn't win us the cup this year but neither did Toews, Crosby, Tavares, Bergeron, Nash, Ovechkin, Stamkos or whoever not on the LA Kings. What is your point? They did have a great season. And yes it ended in a heartbreaking fashion. The guy played his heart out and was a sure Conn Symthe candidate had we gone all the way.

I assume you mean the regular season when you talk about the "qualifiers". How is taking the eventual champions to a game 7 "********" the bed? What makes you think BM didn't care about it? Sorry but that statement is just stupid.

Well I suppose you have to define "disappointment". Because the overall year of the Ducks was very successful. We were 2nd overall in the NHL after the regular season and advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs and fought to a game 7. In my book that is a great year for a team coming out of a re-build. And I dare say, if not for the new playoff format, we had gone to at leas the conference finals. So no, I would not say after that season anyone has the right to yell at our management. If you don't feel your money is spent wisley on season tickets that is your prerogative. BM wants to win, he has proven that. But you can't win all the time. Expecting that is unrealistic.

Finally I'd advise you to save your pennies. Every single point you have made is without foundation. I]Mod edit[/I].

Last edited by Ducks DVM: 06-22-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Not needed
Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote