HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Chris's List - Top 210 Final Rankings (2014 Draft) -The Next Ones @ THW

Old
06-21-2014, 11:35 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Chris's List - Top 210 Final Rankings (2014 Draft) -The Next Ones @ THW

Excerpt from Intro:

Quote:
"Hockey Bloodlines in the “City of Brotherly Love” Draft

The City of Brotherly Love will soon be hosting the 2014 instalment of the NHL entry draft. This nickname of Philadelphia is fitting for this draft as this class presents perhaps more hockey bloodlines than we have ever seen in a draft. Reinhart, Nylander, Ritchie, Kapanen, Lemieux (Claude not Mario) and MacInnis are some of the familiar and obvious surnames. Others are more obscure. How many can you pick out as you scroll throughout the Top 210? Eiserman doesn’t count."
The Top 210 Final Rankings - The Next Ones (THW)
Link - click here

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 11:37 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

In detailed table format - scroll across and down the table for demographics & stats on the top 210 prospects. Each player also hyperlinked to Elite Prospects profile for further info.

Feel free to ask me for more info & opinion on each prospect here or on Twitter @ChrisRalphTHW.

Constructive criticism expected and welcomed - just explain yourself.

It's crunch time for the most wonderful time of the year!

Old
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
regehr

I think you forgot the offense and defense rating (out of 10) in Leon Draisaitl's Next Ones profile:
http://thehockeywriters.com/leon-dra...spect-profile/

regehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Caser
@RUSProspects

It's kind of hard for me to understand why there's no love for Ivan Nikolishin, expected to see him in the Top210 actually. I know that there are size issues, but still he works hard to compensate it and overall he had decent WHL debut season and also looked good enough at U18.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

The Top 15

THW NHL CS Player
1 2 Ekblad, Aaron
2 3 Reinhart, Sam
3 1 Bennett, Samuel
4 16 Ehlers, Nikolaj
5 11 Nylander, William
6 4 Draisaitl, Leon
7 5 Dal Colle, Michael
8 7 Virtanen, Jake
9 8 Ritchie, Nick
10 10 Fleury, Haydn
11 9 Perlini, Brendan
12 26 Fabbri, Robert
13 14 Fiala, Kevin
14 18 Scherbak, Nikita
15 45 Bleackley, Conner

(click link above for the rest of the Top 210

Old
06-21-2014, 04:49 PM
stayinalive

why no love for Joe Hicketts and Shane Gersich?

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
BoDacious Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
It's kind of hard for me to understand why there's no love for Ivan Nikolishin, expected to see him in the Top210 actually. I know that there are size issues, but still he works hard to compensate it and overall he had decent WHL debut season and also looked good enough at U18.
Shhhh I want the canucks to take him in the 7th, keep him a secret. But in all seriousness if he isn't drafted (which would surprise me too) I think he gets some camp invites.

BoDacious Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:37 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
why no love for Joe Hicketts and Shane Gersich?
You meaning ranked too low? (they are ranked; I'm guessing lower than you would project? I actually like both lads and hope they go higher. I think Gersich will go higher than I have him. Hicketts will be interesting to see how NHL scouts see him.

Old
06-21-2014, 08:38 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

If you can't find a particular prospect, you can click on the table/spreadsheet and do the good ole "CTRL F" and search; you do have to click on the document first though.

Old
06-21-2014, 08:39 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Niko was on my short list at the end but was amongst the tough last cuts - in my mind, I was projecting a camp invite type situation for him. Hope he proves me wrong.

Old
06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
regehr

Not sure if you missed this above or not...

I think you forgot the offense and defense rating (out of 10) in Leon Draisaitl's Next Ones profile:
http://thehockeywriters.com/leon-dra...spect-profile/

regehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 10:04 PM
grN1g

Just wanted to ask why Ville Husso is so far down your list? Considering he played against men and did exceptional in the FEL this season.

Wild would love for him to fall that far.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 11:41 PM
HaleyDestroyedNurse
#MikkelMemes

vCash: 247
Kapanen won't fall that far, but if he does, I'd love to pick either him, McKeown, or Milano @ 21

HaleyDestroyedNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:44 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
Just wanted to ask why Ville Husso is so far down your list? Considering he played against men and did exceptional in the FEL this season.

Wild would love for him to fall that far.
Reasoning highlighted in intro - the masked men always lower in my rankings. This isn't a prediction of where they'll be drafted. goalies are honestly a mystery to me. Of course, not his 1st yr eligible (which isn't necessarily such a negative for a goalie as you probably know more of what you got)...

Old
06-22-2014, 07:50 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Who do you think I have:
a) too high?
b) too low?
c) omitted?
d) bang on?
e) way off the mark?

Old
06-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Who do you think I have:
a) too high?
b) too low?
c) omitted?
d) bang on?
e) way off the mark?
My take looking at the 1st round:
I also have Dal Colle at #7 with the same 6 ahead of him, just in a bit different of an order (Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers), though the more I think about it the more tempted I am to switch Nylander and Ehlers.

Virtanen and Perlini are much higher on this list, which I get because of their ridiculous tools. I just have a lot of concerns about those two. Virtanen at least will be an effective NHLer on a third line, worst case, but I worry about him reaching the upside promised by his shot and skating. Odds are one of them pans out as a top 10 type of player, so I anticipate being wrong about one of them.

I like that you have Scherbak quite high. I went with my gut a bit and put him #11. He had a great debut season without much help, and I think he's just scratching the surface of the kind of NA pro-style game he can play. Fabbri's another guy that you have high that I really like. Somehow he ended up lower on my list than he is in my esteem. I guess I just like too many guys in the early teens.

The three guys you have fairly low relative to me that I really believe in are Barbashev, Goldobin, and Kempe. Goldobin's really underrated in my book, and is a better prospect than other offensive talents like Ho-Sang. He's maybe a bit more concerning re: "the Russian factor" than Barbashev and Scherbak are, so I can see why that bumps him down for some people. On-ice though, he's a reasonably well-rounded player with ridiculous offensive abilities.

Barbs @ 18 is no slight to him, but I lean towards thinking he has the upside of being a really good #2 center who contributes in all areas of the game, so I'd take him a lot earlier. I am coincidentally high on the 3 big Russians this year.

I saw Kempe more than any of these players, having watched a ton of Modo games because of Sabres prospects Possler and Ullmark. I think he might end up being the all-around best power forward in this class, so I have him very high (#10, second-highest Euro), though I know it goes against how most see things. It's easy to go with your gut when there are no repercussions

This is a fun year for comparing rankings, because of how wildly different a list can be from yours while still being able to see the sense in it. Everything outside the top 10 (even a bit earlier) through the early 2nd can be stacked a million ways. Good work as always from you guys.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:31 PM
huntison

I hope Draisaitl falls to 6!

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
SchultzSquared*

Do not expect any one else to agree with this... but I would have Christian Jaros MUCH higher... 50s even... you are talking a man sized RD who lit up Swedish junior... and then did okay at the Hlinka and U18... reminds me of Marincin/Gernat hybrid and both of those are showing well at their age relative to draft position... Engvall will also get a look higher than the 200s... big narrow boy with LOTS of potential

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 10:15 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Do not expect any one else to agree with this... but I would have Christian Jaros MUCH higher... 50s even... you are talking a man sized RD who lit up Swedish junior... and then did okay at the Hlinka and U18... reminds me of Marincin/Gernat hybrid and both of those are showing well at their age relative to draft position... Engvall will also get a look higher than the 200s... big narrow boy with LOTS of potential
Jaros an intriguing talent, but skating concerns likely drop him back...

Old
06-23-2014, 10:43 AM
usascout1

Quote:
You meaning ranked too low? (they are ranked; I'm guessing lower than you would project? I actually like both lads and hope they go higher. I think Gersich will go higher than I have him. Hicketts will be interesting to see how NHL scouts see him.
Just a question? What makes Sonny Milano in most rankings ahead of Dylan Larkin? I have seen about 10 games of each the past two years and have a different view? Any input would be helpful. Also, IMO Gersich is athletic but hockey sense is at times up for debate. Would like to see him go higher but not sure if that will happen.

usascout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Czechexpert

Quote:
Jaros an intriguing talent, but skating concerns likely drop him back...
His skating isn´t concern for me, not pretty skater but more mobile than Masin for example in my eyes. Has very interesting upside.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
His skating isn´t concern for me, not pretty skater but more mobile than Masin for example in my eyes. Has very interesting upside.
Thanks Czech Expert - I know RLR pretty high on Jaros despite what they described as "ugly skating" - I guess you don't have to be pretty to get where you need to be!

Old
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by usascout1 View Post
Just a question? What makes Sonny Milano in most rankings ahead of Dylan Larkin? I have seen about 10 games of each the past two years and have a different view? Any input would be helpful. Also, IMO Gersich is athletic but hockey sense is at times up for debate. Would like to see him go higher but not sure if that will happen.
You know what, I think it comes to one getting enticed by Milano's flashy skills, but you're right - Larkin might be simply the better pro when it all comes down to it - one of the most complete players in the draft. I've seen one service had him ranked 9th overall.

Old
06-25-2014, 09:53 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
FC Hockey has him as a 7th rnder as well, but we both may have missed the mark, admittedly. I honestly misread info fed me getting caught up in the "ugly" skating (but not necessary hindering mobility).
RLR & ISS have him as a 3rd-4th rnder, and you're right, with his enticing size, could see him creeping in back in the 2nd - we'll soon find out!

Old
06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Revelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
My take looking at the 1st round:
I also have Dal Colle at #7 with the same 6 ahead of him, just in a bit different of an order (Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers), though the more I think about it the more tempted I am to switch Nylander and Ehlers.

Virtanen and Perlini are much higher on this list, which I get because of their ridiculous tools. I just have a lot of concerns about those two. Virtanen at least will be an effective NHLer on a third line, worst case, but I worry about him reaching the upside promised by his shot and skating. Odds are one of them pans out as a top 10 type of player, so I anticipate being wrong about one of them.

I like that you have Scherbak quite high. I went with my gut a bit and put him #11. He had a great debut season without much help, and I think he's just scratching the surface of the kind of NA pro-style game he can play. Fabbri's another guy that you have high that I really like. Somehow he ended up lower on my list than he is in my esteem. I guess I just like too many guys in the early teens.

The three guys you have fairly low relative to me that I really believe in are Barbashev, Goldobin, and Kempe. Goldobin's really underrated in my book, and is a better prospect than other offensive talents like Ho-Sang. He's maybe a bit more concerning re: "the Russian factor" than Barbashev and Scherbak are, so I can see why that bumps him down for some people. On-ice though, he's a reasonably well-rounded player with ridiculous offensive abilities.

Barbs @ 18 is no slight to him, but I lean towards thinking he has the upside of being a really good #2 center who contributes in all areas of the game, so I'd take him a lot earlier. I am coincidentally high on the 3 big Russians this year.

I saw Kempe more than any of these players, having watched a ton of Modo games because of Sabres prospects Possler and Ullmark. I think he might end up being the all-around best power forward in this class, so I have him very high (#10, second-highest Euro), though I know it goes against how most see things. It's easy to go with your gut when there are no repercussions

This is a fun year for comparing rankings, because of how wildly different a list can be from yours while still being able to see the sense in it. Everything outside the top 10 (even a bit earlier) through the early 2nd can be stacked a million ways. Good work as always from you guys.
Sheesh, I have scary similar thoughts to you on the draft. Maybe it's something about hailing from the sticks of WNY. I wouldn't touch Virtanen in the top 10. I have concerns about his overall "hockey sense" and how well his game will translate when he can't physically overwhelm everyone. I too love Kempe/Barbashev/Scherbak and would take them over someone like Bleackley (who i still like, but question his ceiling).

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote