HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerard Gallant Named New Coach of Florida Panthers

Old
06-21-2014, 05:24 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
His team played incredibly well when Crosby was concussed and Malkin was out. Much better than Panthers have in years.
The goal is to win the cup not just make the playoffs and lose.

batting1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:26 PM
EnforceTheLaus
Worms, Bjugs, P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
Obviously its speculation because none of us are in Tallon's inner circle but let me ask this, do you think Tallon was waiting for an assistant coach or Blysma because obviously he was waiting for somebody and I think its logical to think he was waiting for the Stanley cup winning coach to be let go after the Penguins were eliminated and not an assistant coach.

Blysma is getting paid 2 mill I think just sitting home for the next 2 years so If any of us were him I think we'd also ask a lot more money to get you off that couch.
I think Tallon was taking his time because it will likely be his last crack at naming a Panthers HC if it fails. Also Gallant was the front runner before (via Friedman)

"8. Bylsma's availability certainly changes things. Gerard Gallant was gaining steam in Florida...does this alter that idea? Also, don't forget those who are still working -- Willie Desjardins, Samuelsson and John Stevens. Vancouver has interest in Desjardins and Stevens, and of all the open markets, that's the one I'm not convinced chases Bylsma or interests him as much. He can also sit back and wait to see what opens next year. Maybe he wants to work with Ray Shero again."

So maybe the two were even as viewed by Tallon and co. Gallant is also more of a "sophomore" coach than a guy like Dineen or Horachek. He was green in the C-bus gig but went in and put in his dues in jrs and assistant. I hope we can get a better look at the reality, but 2 other team passed over Bylsma as well, so was he really the best guy out there?

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:26 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by I May Be Wrong View Post
Ok, this Dan Bylsma stuff is getting a bit ridiculous in regard to name recognition. Yes, Dan Bylsma is a bigger name, but I don't think not hiring him will drastically impact what FAs we will be able to bring in. Money IS money, and money talks. If Tallon, Viola and Co. are honest, then bringing talented players here and willing to pay for them should not be an issue, regardless of Bylsma being here or not.
Amen.

And IMO, this "Dan Bylsma would attract UFAs" thing could as well be the other way around.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Chalmers is a joke comparing him to Huberdeau. Now Lebron... his high school coach now you might be onto someone Mr. Sarcasm.
True that. To be fair, Chalmers has done more for his sport than Huby has. What did Huby score, 9 goals last year?

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
The goal is to win the cup not just make the playoffs and lose.
Yeah, that's why it's illogical to skip on a guy who won the Stanley cup to choose a guy who won the memorial cup instead. Guess we're thinking about different cups.

Old
06-21-2014, 05:30 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Yeah, that's why it's illogical to skip on a guy who won the Stanley cup to choose a guy who won the memorial cup instead. Guess we're thinking about different cups.
Might as well have hired Crawford then?

Old
06-21-2014, 05:32 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
True that. To be fair, Chalmers has done more for his sport than Huby has. What did Huby score, 9 goals last year?
It was his second season...Chalmers has been in the league since 2008 lol

Huberdeau won rookie of the year and then had a sophomore slump this past season...doesn't make him a bad player. We all know how he tore up the QMJHL during his draft year and in the years before that

Old
06-21-2014, 05:32 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's easy to win a cup when you have elite talent

Old
06-21-2014, 05:33 PM
EnforceTheLaus
Worms, Bjugs, P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Might as well have hired Crawford then?
Why stop there? The big enchilada, Mike Keenan, was obviously the best choice. That man's aStanley Cup winner and just conquerd Russia!

*I need to wash my hands after typing that.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
It's easy to win a cup when you have elite talent
That's why the Pens won the cup last year. You hear that everyone! The cup is easy to win he says! Tell that to Crosby and Malkin. Tell that to Toews and Kane.

Old
06-21-2014, 05:45 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's why the Pens won the cup last year. You hear that everyone! The cup is easy to win he says! Tell that to Crosby and Malkin. Tell that to Toews and Kane.
I guess I should've said "easier." Toews and Kane have won the cup twice in four years

Old
06-21-2014, 05:52 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

I'm not saying you need elite talent to win the cup but it certainly helps. You see the past teams that have won it have Doughty, Kopitar, Toews, Kane, Rask, Malkin, Crosby, etc. Of course a deep team helps too, but elite talents certainly don't hurt you.

Old
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Tone down the obnoxiousness, wtf?? It's ridiculous and you're not making points.

He waited to interview everyone, word was he wanted to talk to guys who were still in the playoffs as well. Even if he was just waiting for Bylsma, it doesn't mean he was hellbent on hiring him. Everyone's saying it was money, or whatever, but none of you know. Perhaps he didn't like what he heard from Bylsma??

So far as the "this shows we aren't spending in FA" nonsense, this doesn't point to that at all.

Yes, let's all wait. Two weeks and we'll see. Personally I hope we don't go near the Richards-type contracts. Overspending doesn't equal wisdom, everyone needs to relax.

06-21-2014, 06:09 PM
FlaPanthers11
#CatsAreComing

Let's stop complaining until he coaches half a season AT LEAST. After you've seen him, if you still are dissatisfied, complain all you want.

FlaPanthers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Gallant is fine and I'm sure he will do a good job. All I am saying is that we all know Blysma was number 1 on there board. Gallant was not. Blysma rightfully wants to get paid and I'm sure he will pick where he wants to go and i dont blame him for not coming here if the panthers didn't want to pay his price he feels he deserves. I just look at it as a precursor to what might be in getting big FA stars here. I don't want to come in second. We have to outspend teams and overpay to sign the best FAs and I am getting the vibe we are in for a disappointment.

Also I disagree with you that Blysma is in a down swing. Every coach gets fired too especially when a gm covers his butt for not putting better pieces around the stars.You can't fire all the players when the team underachieves and the coach always gets the ax. The penguins expect to be in the east finals or playing in the Stanley cup finals so expectations were sky high and someone has to take the fall if it doesn't happen.
Quote:
Obviously its speculation because none of us are in Tallon's inner circle but let me ask this, do you think Tallon was waiting for an assistant coach or Blysma because obviously he was waiting for somebody and I think its logical to think he was waiting for the Stanley cup winning coach to be let go after the Penguins were eliminated and not an assistant coach.

Blysma is getting paid 2 mill I think just sitting home for the next 2 years so If any of us were him I think we'd also ask a lot more money to get you off that couch.
You seem to be a bit out of touch, actually. The Pens GM was fired and Bylsma was retained to see what direction the new GM wanted to go. Then Bylsma was let go, Tallon wasn't waiting for the Pena to be eliminated.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:12 PM
EvGeno
He can do it all!

Congrats on your team not choosing Bylsma. Seriously.

EvGeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Tallon was waiting to interview every possible candidate, which he did.

This is just pure speculation again. No one other than Bylsma himself and the Pittsburgh ownership knows how much he's getting paid, and whether a new job would affect that or not.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...d-thomas-vanek

Blysma was "speculated" by many as being Tallons top choice and whom he waited for and because Blysma was fired, he is getting over 2 mill a year for doing nothing the next 2 years so yes I am sure he wants more than that for staying home, doing nothing and getting paid. Wouldn't you?

I guess no one wants to accept that we settled here. Ok that's fine. When free agency begins and we lose out on the players everyone here wanted I will be here to point out it all started right here. Then I guess some here can again sugarcoat the scraps that come here and lecture the rest of us how it was all planned this way or make excuses for management and ownership for not over spending and being so smart.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:21 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:

Blysma was "speculated" by many as being Tallons top choice and whom he waited for and because Blysma was fired, he is getting over 2 mill a year for doing nothing the next 2 years so yes I am sure he wants more than that for staying home, doing nothing and getting paid. Wouldn't you?
Oh yes, the always so reliable Pens insiders. Even the Pens fans mock them.

Also you missed my point. What I was trying to say, is that no one knows how much Pittsburgh is paying Bylsma post-firing (that 2M figure is probably what he got paid when he still had the job) and how much he'd possibly still get paid by the Penguins if he found a new job.

Quote:
I guess no one wants to accept that we settled here. Ok that's fine. When free agency begins and we lose out on the players everyone here wanted I will be here to point out it all started right here. Then I guess some here can again sugarcoat the scraps that come here and lecture the rest of us how it was all planned this way or make excuses for management and ownership for not over spending and being so smart.
I just don't buy this "Bylsma would attract UFAs here" BS. All we hear from Pens fans is how Bylsma loved to play his grinders over better players. How exactly would this help signing top guys, huh?

Old
06-21-2014, 06:21 PM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:

Of course we won't get every player we want. Because there will be a bunch of other teams trying hard to get the same players!

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:22 PM
harv3317

nice hire. i think he had more to do with the habs success than we know. i think he's a great fit and players seem to love him. byslma imo is way overrated. his talent carried him and he was outcoached in the nhl and the olympics. i think gallant is more respected by players at this point. i don't think he will be a detriment for fa's, rather i think he will be an asset! would love if he could get us markov who seems to respect gallant. i think this guy is an upgrade over byslma and will help develop our young talent and bring us to the next level. kane and parise were'nt very pleased with byslma in the olympics and i've heard of dissention in the pens locker room. i've only heard praise about this hiring from around the nhl, that is except for a few unknowing panther posters.
WELCOME MR. GALLANT!!!!!! i'm excited and looking for good things!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:23 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Pirri for Cy Young

vCash: 50
Quote:

I really think you are overrating Bylsma's clout. He completely lost his room the last 2 years and Gallant is a players coach as much as Bylsma is. Bylsma's reputation is far from golden right now.

Edit: And with the Habs needing to save money for Subban and Markov's comments about only playing for Florida (aside from Montreal) I think Gallant will help us land Markov.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Cats2TheCup

I bet Tallon could sell Dineen back to you guys."He coached Hubby to a calder, brought the Panthers to the playoffs, and won gold in the Olympics" sounds pretty good eh?

Old
06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
I bet Tallon could sell Dineen back to you guys."He coached Hubby to a calder, brought the Panthers to the playoffs, and won gold in the Olympics" sounds pretty good eh?
Not really, because he already coached here and clearly lost the room. Nice try though.

Old
06-21-2014, 06:28 PM
PatchworkCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tone down the obnoxiousness, wtf?? It's ridiculous and you're not making points.

He waited to interview everyone, word was he wanted to talk to guys who were still in the playoffs as well. Even if he was just waiting for Bylsma, it doesn't mean he was hellbent on hiring him. Everyone's saying it was money, or whatever, but none of you know. Perhaps he didn't like what he heard from Bylsma??

So far as the "this shows we aren't spending in FA" nonsense, this doesn't point to that at all.

Yes, let's all wait. Two weeks and we'll see. Personally I hope we don't go near the Richards-type contracts. Overspending doesn't equal wisdom, everyone needs to relax.
Amen to that!

I've already stated that I would automatically consider hiring Gallant over Bylsma to be this team once again going with the cheaper option, which is in and of itself, an unfair train of thought. However, there is a laundry list of industry professionals raving about Gallant right now. I may have been biased toward Bylsma, but I also can't ignore all the positivity from outside our organization. While It's totally fair to take a wait and see approach as to our spending on UFAs, we really should be at least willing to give him some time behind the actual bench before we declare this a catastrophic mistake.

PatchworkCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
You're taking this thing to a whole new extremity.

People have opinions, but come on man. Sleep over it and consider it again tomorrow or something.