HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 4

Old
06-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
Best hockey name after Mike Busto? And he's even a defenseman, a really good one actually

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=147490
Betcha he asks everyone for a French pronunciation of his name:
pee lon instead of pile on.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 04:14 PM
NOBLE27

My question is to our great armchair scouting department. Out of the guys projected to be 2nd round picks who do you think will end up being a 1st round pick?
I've read as many as 3 to 4 guys projected in the 2nd will most likely be picked in the first....
Is there any really great sleeper pick in the 2nd and 3rd.....Boom or total Bust picks that you might take with the 26th overall pick???

NOBLE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
My question is to our great armchair scouting department. Out of the guys projected to be 2nd round picks who do you think will end up being a 1st round pick?
I've read as many as 3 to 4 guys projected in the 2nd will most likely be picked in the first....
Is there any really great sleeper pick in the 2nd and 3rd.....Boom or total Bust picks that you might take with the 26th overall pick???
Well guys like Goldobin and Ho-Sang fits the profile. Then you can have guys who are tougher to read like Cornel and Quenneville. I think Dougherty might skyrocket his position. Maybe Ryan Donato. And total out of left field, a guy I had in my ND list...Brayden Point. Dominik Masin seems to be talked a lot lately. And the Russians like Kraskovsky or Kamenev.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 0
Just as a matter of reference, if we traded our pick for a first rounder next year and assume for sake of argument, that it turns out to be a late first rounder in 2015 -- how much better would the 2015 player be?

In other words, if we converted our first rounder into a late 2015 first rounder, would the 2015 player's talent level rank within the talent level of the top 10-15 2014 crop, better or worse?

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:17 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For me it's just about being able to do so much so young. One of the youngest player in the draft. For me, it counts A WHOLE LOT.
He's also had jump on rest of draftees due to exposure to better training, diet and preparing for the game. Where his dad played so long in NHL. You have to factor that in, once other draftees turn pro and they get exposure at this level they have tendency to pass bloodline players.

He's already 18, turned it back in March, not getting what you mean youngest in draft? I made mistake before putting too much on being younger at draft. I am not sold it is a major factor. At 18, being 4-6 months younger doubt it is major. Unless it is 10 months and they are whole year behind in development.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
He's also had jump on rest of draftees due to exposure to better training, diet and preparing for the game. Where his dad played so long in NHL. You have to factor that in, once other draftees turn pro and they get exposure at this level they have tendency to pass bloodline players.

He's already 18, turned it back in March, not getting what you mean youngest in draft? I made mistake before putting too much on being younger at draft. I am not sold it is a major factor. At 18, being 4-6 months younger doubt it is major. Unless it is 10 months and they are whole year behind in development.
Wasn't talking about Lemieux in the first part of my post, was talking about Kempe who is 3 days short from being a 2015 draft.

Old
06-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Draft

Quote:
TOTALLY agree with you. And I'm not even sold on Lehkonen. As far as Cornel is concerned, still the ceiling that is concerning even if I like the player. I'd take Schmaltz ahead of him. I'd probably even take Quenneville ahead of him. Cornel would be a PERFECT 2nd rounder....which we don't have.
What Cornel lacks in hockey sense, he makes up for with raw physical ability and athleticism. I find that Cornel uses his reach so well but hasn't figured out how to use his size to knock players off the puck or fight through traffic. He's improved so much over the last two seasons and that's nice to see.

I've found that Schmaltz is quite the opposite, as in- what Schmaltz lacks in physical abilities, he makes up for with high-end IQ. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two (though I think Schmaltz will go much earlier). I like him but I'm not sure if I'd be very excited about the pick.

If Quenneville can improve his skating and agility - watch out. His IQ is so so good and I've found that he's got a very good handle of what he's capable of with his current skill set. A quicker Quenneville would be much more effective offensively. He seems like a Bergevin type of player to me. I'm a little concerned about that happening though, it's a tough thing to fix.

This would have been an excellent year to have our picks from last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
I can see guys like Lemieux, Petterson, Sanheim, Dougherty, Quenneville, Cornel, and maybe even Martin (if a team is really looking for that type of player). It's pretty tough to say considering the rankings (i.e. what you consider a second rounder) have been all over the place.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:30 PM
NOBLE27

Quote:
Well guys like Goldobin and Ho-Sang fits the profile. Then you can have guys who are tougher to read like Cornel and Quenneville. I think Dougherty might skyrocket his position. Maybe Ryan Donato. And total out of left field, a guy I had in my ND list...Brayden Point. Dominik Masin seems to be talked a lot lately. And the Russians like Kraskovsky or Kamenev.
Thanks. I really like Goldobin. Two other guys I have been reading about on here interest me also... Hunter Smith and Travis Sanheim.

I guess Dougherty moving up would be because there are so few D-Man prospects?

haha I need to read up on Kraskovsky or Kamenev

Old
06-22-2014, 05:34 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Just as a matter of reference, if we traded our pick for a first rounder next year and assume for sake of argument, that it turns out to be a late first rounder in 2015 -- how much better would the 2015 player be?

In other words, if we converted our first rounder into a late 2015 first rounder, would the 2015 player's talent level rank within the talent level of the top 10-15 2014 crop, better or worse?
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...-ranking-2015/

Look at the players at #24 and #25, both of them are studs. Mikko Rantanen pretty much had the same production as Kapanen this year in the SM-Liiga and he's 6'4 (he also completely outproduced him in international play).

Last edited by TT1: 06-22-2014 at 05:40 PM.
TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
NOBLE27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I can see guys like Lemieux, Petterson, Sanheim, Dougherty, Quenneville, Cornel, and maybe even Martin (if a team is really looking for that type of player). It's pretty tough to say considering the rankings (i.e. what you consider a second rounder) have been all over the place.
Thanks. Yes the rankings are really all over the place. I guess scouts must have to go on the gut feelings and knowlege after the first 5-10 picks this year.
I sure hope MB and TT go for the home run swing and don't care if they strike out on the 1st pick this year.

Old
06-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Draft

Quote:

Look at the players at #24 and #25, both of them are studs. Mikko Rantanen pretty much had the same production as Kapanen this year in the SM-Liiga and he's 6'4 (he also completely outproduced him in international play).
It's subject to a huge amount of change but it does look to be a much deeper draft than the one this year. However, I think it's very difficult to go without a first AND second round pick in one year. I'd hold onto our pick and, if we really want more picks for next year, move a roster player. Lots of really good QMJHL prospects for next year.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

2015 has an unfair advantage. Hard to beat a year that has someone named kylington in the top 10

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Brycen Martin...here's another GREAT 2nd rounder. I couldn't obviously add him in my 1st round. And can't put him in my 3rd round as he won't be there. But he has the qualities to be a serious top 4 NHL'er.

Old
06-22-2014, 06:23 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
There's some intriguing late round swings.. Dakota Joshua is one of those intriguing names. Big kid, good skating, scored some in the USHL and has some finesse to his game.

Whitesnakes favorite, Dexter Dancs, is a name we should look at as well. Smart hockey player and plays in all zones.

One of my favorites is obviously goaltender Logan Halladay.. another name I plugged a lot is Matheson Iacopelli. Guy is just a natural goal scorer.

Anthony Angello is another big framed kid who lacks so much consistency but if he put it together could be a dream prospect for a late round swing.

We talked a bit about Hayden Hodgson as a guy who can chip in around the goal and is just nasty with his heavy hitting style.

Helewka is another name who excels in all zones and could be a third liner who chips in offensively. Another similar player in the Helewka mold is Alex Schoenborn.

I think the play-offs showed that smooth skating defenseman are the most important to success in the defensive end. If we pick defense they have to know how to skate. If we are looking for nasty on the back end names like Ryan Rehill, Nick Wolff and Brett Lernout. These are the type of guys who can play but also can drop the mitts to protect teammates. In Lernouts case, he just wants to hurt players all the time.

So many more names I can add.. I cant wait for draft day to be here and I just finalized my list in anticipation.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:24 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Brycen Martin...here's another GREAT 2nd rounder. I couldn't obviously add him in my 1st round. And can't put him in my 3rd round as he won't be there. But he has the qualities to be a serious top 4 NHL'er.
Martin is interesting as a project but you can be left with a guy who just doesn't excel in the offensive or defensive zone. I don't think I'd be willing to spend a 2nd rounder on a guy like that.

Old
06-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Mathletic

Where do you people see LeBlanc (SNB), Nogier and Middleton go and where they start having value?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Where do you people see LeBlanc (SNB), Nogier and Middleton go and where they start having value?
3rd at best. 5th at the very worst. Probably in that order....Middleton-Nogier-Leblanc.

Old
06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

I have Nogier and then LeBlanc rather close... I have Middleton as a ND for me.

Old
06-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I have Middleton as a ND for me.
how come? I liked what I saw at the top prospects game

Old
06-22-2014, 07:19 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
how come? I liked what I saw at the top prospects game
Not a fan of his positioning.. I don't think he knows where his skillset lies and he has trouble with speedy forwards. Just not a fan. Don't see him having the required skillset to make an impact on our D core (for the type of team I think we need) to be successful. His decision making can tend be rushed and bad, more exposed when he's got a fast forecheck coming in on him.

Old
06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
TT1

i wouldn't feel comfortable picking LeBlanc unless it was in the midd to late 5th at the earliest, hes a huge risk/reward pick tho

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not a fan of his positioning.. I don't think he knows where his skillset lies and he has trouble with speedy forwards. Just not a fan. Don't see him having the required skillset to make an impact on our D core (for the type of team I think we need) to be successful. His decision making can tend be rushed and bad, more exposed when he's got a fast forecheck coming in on him.
One thing I find a bit harder to judge with these 3 kids is the fact they played on pretty bad teams. Wonder how much of it is on them and how much is on the team making them look not as good as they could on better teams.

Old
06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
One thing I find a bit harder to judge with these 3 kids is the fact they played on pretty bad teams. Wonder how much of it is on them and how much is on the team making them look not as good as they could on better teams.
That's the tough part of scouting. Even on a bad team though, I think you should still be able to position yourself for success. I can understand on a bad team looking bad offensively by trying to do too much.

Too much to work on for not enough upside for me on Middleton. I think there are more intriguing defenseman in the draft. I'm a huge fan of Walman, he'll likely sneak into the 2nd round but he miraculously is on the board in the 3rd round, we better not hesitate to pull the trigger.

One thing that Walman has that I like to look for in a prospect is athleticism. If you are an athletic individual the likelihood of succeeding are that much higher because you can be taught the facets of the game, the theory and positioning. Hockey sense and athleticism are two things that just can't be taught at high levels.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Betcha he asks everyone for a French pronunciation of his name:
pee lon instead of pile on.
It is pronounced Pee-lon both languages.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
If you watch the highlight video of Nikita Scherbak you'll fall in love.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote