HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
  #326
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
I wrote this on the Trade forum.

A few days ago I asked what would it take to get Sobotka and STL fans said they would need an upgrade at center since they are extremely weak there. As a Rangers fan, I would hate to lose Stepan. This deal could only happen if Stasny signs with the Rangers first. The Rangers really lack an offensive Dman with a great shot to help the PP. What Shattenkirk brings would help a lot more than what is lost from going from Stepan to Stasny. Sobotka is also a young player that does everything but score. STL fans do say that he is improving his passing game. He has the intangibles that we need such as one of the best faceoff guys and PKs. Paajarvi is young, has potential and is very fast (something the Rangers love).

Staal's game is being a shutdown Dman. He plays on the left side while Pietrangelo is on the right (who has an offensive game). Staal-Pietrangelo could end up being one of the top pairings in the NHL. With Stepan only being 24, STL fills a big hole while having a 1-2 C for 5+ years.


The Rangers Trade:

Stepan, Staal, and draft pick for Shattenkirk, Sobotka, and Paajarvi

Dorsett for a draft pick


Kreider (2.25) - Stasny (6.5) - Nash (7.8)
Hagelin (2.25) - Brassard (4.25) - St. Louis (5.625)
Paajarvi (1.2) - Sobotka (2.25) - Zuccarello (3.75)
JT Miller (.900) - Moore (1.5) - Fast (.805)

McDonagh (4.7) - Shattenkirk (4.25)
Moore (3) - Girardi (5.5)
Allen (.925) - Klein (2.9)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Talbot (.562)

With this lineup (minus the injury fillers) the Rangers salary comes out to 69.417M. Just going by capgeek, they use a 71.1M salary cap. So the Rangers have about an extra 1.5M of space to play with.

What do you guys think????

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:28 PM
  #327
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I wrote this on the Trade forum.

A few days ago I asked what would it take to get Sobotka and STL fans said they would need an upgrade at center since they are extremely weak there. As a Rangers fan, I would hate to lose Stepan. This deal could only happen if Stasny signs with the Rangers first. The Rangers really lack an offensive Dman with a great shot to help the PP. What Shattenkirk brings would help a lot more than what is lost from going from Stepan to Stasny. Sobotka is also a young player that does everything but score. STL fans do say that he is improving his passing game. He has the intangibles that we need such as one of the best faceoff guys and PKs. Paajarvi is young, has potential and is very fast (something the Rangers love).

Staal's game is being a shutdown Dman. He plays on the left side while Pietrangelo is on the right (who has an offensive game). Staal-Pietrangelo could end up being one of the top pairings in the NHL. With Stepan only being 24, STL fills a big hole while having a 1-2 C for 5+ years.


The Rangers Trade:

Stepan, Staal, and draft pick for Shattenkirk, Sobotka, and Paajarvi

Dorsett for a draft pick


Kreider (2.25) - Stasny (6.5) - Nash (7.8)
Hagelin (2.25) - Brassard (4.25) - St. Louis (5.625)
Paajarvi (1.2) - Sobotka (2.25) - Zuccarello (3.75)
JT Miller (.900) - Moore (1.5) - Fast (.805)

McDonagh (4.7) - Shattenkirk (4.25)
Moore (3) - Girardi (5.5)
Allen (.925) - Klein (2.9)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Talbot (.562)

With this lineup (minus the injury fillers) the Rangers salary comes out to 69.417M. Just going by capgeek, they use a 71.1M salary cap. So the Rangers have about an extra 1.5M of space to play with.

What do you guys think????
Absolutely ****ing awful.

Why are we trading a 24 year old top 6 center for a 4th liner, a prospect with NO hockey IQ, and a second pairing PP specialist? Let alone adding Staal LOL.

Terrible. Just terrible.

__________________
"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  #328
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Isn't Sobotka a free agent?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  #329
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim morrison View Post
isn't sobotka a free agent?
rfa.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  #330
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Absolutely ****ing awful.

Why are we trading a 24 year old top 6 center for a 4th liner, a prospect with NO hockey IQ, and a second pairing PP specialist? Let alone adding Staal LOL.

Terrible. Just terrible.
You obviously haven't watched STL play with that response.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:35 PM
  #331
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
rfa.
Right.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:36 PM
  #332
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
You obviously haven't watched STL play with that response.
Yeah actually I have.

For all the love Shattenkirk gets, he plays on the 2nd pair for a reason(other than being buried behind Pietrangelo). He gets almost no PK time, really isn't good at all defensively, and Blues fans have ripped him for being a playoff choker.

Sobotka is a 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner in a pinch. In what world is that any kind of upgrade that we need? He's excellent on faceoffs, and works hard, but he doesn't have any kind of offensive ability suited for a top 9 role.

Paajarvi just sucks. He's fast but has absolutely no tool box.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
  #333
Ail
Kidmograph tho.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
You obviously haven't watched STL play with that response.
I'm not sure you have watched any team play considering that proposal.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
  #334
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,163
vCash: 500
Gotta be honest...I see no point in the Rangers making that deal.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:38 PM
  #335
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Gotta be honest...I see no point in the Rangers making that deal.
It's a complete downgrade at every position.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:43 PM
  #336
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Yeah actually I have.

For all the love Shattenkirk gets, he plays on the 2nd pair for a reason(other than being buried behind Pietrangelo). He gets almost no PK time, really isn't good at all defensively, and Blues fans have ripped him for being a playoff choker.

Sobotka is a 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner in a pinch. In what world is that any kind of upgrade that we need? He's excellent on faceoffs, and works hard, but he doesn't have any kind of offensive ability suited for a top 9 role.

Paajarvi just sucks. He's fast but has absolutely no tool box.
So Shattenkirk is a playoff choker when he got 5 points in 6 games?
The same Shattenkirk that had more points than McDonagh and only 3 Rangers players had more points than him.

Sobotka is perhaps the best faceoff guy in the league, that's young, and a great PKer. High energy guy that people love when you see him on your team. His PKing would be replacing Boyle. Sobotka at only 26 years old also got 33 points in 61 games not playing on the top line.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:43 PM
  #337
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔
 
Lundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I wrote this on the Trade forum.

A few days ago I asked what would it take to get Sobotka and STL fans said they would need an upgrade at center since they are extremely weak there. As a Rangers fan, I would hate to lose Stepan. This deal could only happen if Stasny signs with the Rangers first. The Rangers really lack an offensive Dman with a great shot to help the PP. What Shattenkirk brings would help a lot more than what is lost from going from Stepan to Stasny. Sobotka is also a young player that does everything but score. STL fans do say that he is improving his passing game. He has the intangibles that we need such as one of the best faceoff guys and PKs. Paajarvi is young, has potential and is very fast (something the Rangers love).

Staal's game is being a shutdown Dman. He plays on the left side while Pietrangelo is on the right (who has an offensive game). Staal-Pietrangelo could end up being one of the top pairings in the NHL. With Stepan only being 24, STL fills a big hole while having a 1-2 C for 5+ years.


The Rangers Trade:

Stepan, Staal, and draft pick for Shattenkirk, Sobotka, and Paajarvi

Dorsett for a draft pick


Kreider (2.25) - Stasny (6.5) - Nash (7.8)
Hagelin (2.25) - Brassard (4.25) - St. Louis (5.625)
Paajarvi (1.2) - Sobotka (2.25) - Zuccarello (3.75)
JT Miller (.900) - Moore (1.5) - Fast (.805)

McDonagh (4.7) - Shattenkirk (4.25)
Moore (3) - Girardi (5.5)
Allen (.925) - Klein (2.9)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Talbot (.562)

With this lineup (minus the injury fillers) the Rangers salary comes out to 69.417M. Just going by capgeek, they use a 71.1M salary cap. So the Rangers have about an extra 1.5M of space to play with.

What do you guys think????
Too big of a shakeup and we aren't getting significant value in return. That roster would be a downgrade.

Lundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:45 PM
  #338
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
So Shattenkirk is a playoff choker when he got 5 points in 6 games?
The same Shattenkirk that had more points than McDonagh and only 3 Rangers players had more points than him.

Sobotka is perhaps the best faceoff guy in the league, that's young, and a great PKer. High energy guy that people love when you see him on your team. His PKing would be replacing Boyle. Sobotka at only 26 years old also got 33 points in 61 games not playing on the top line.
You miss the point that Shattenkirk, while potent offensively, is crap defensively, that's putting it nicely. He doesn't belong on a top pairing, anywhere. If we got him, I'd want him playing with Staal, not McDonagh.

Sobotka, again, complete downgrade. Older than Stepan, less talented than Stepan.

I'm not even saying these players are bad, they absolutely aren't. But again, Stepan ALONE gets that package, maybe, ****ing forget adding Staal. You just got values totally wrong, while we yet again downgrade at forward AND defense. This is such a "grass is greener" trade.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:51 PM
  #339
5 4 Fighting
Registered snoozer
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 6,998
vCash: 783
Cool bean, I don't think it's as terrible of a proposal if you switched Paajarvi with a Schwartz. Staal is a very valuable commodity, and I would absolutely love Shattenkirk on Broadway. He's dynamite from the blueline on the PP. We can say bye to overpaying Stralman as well by bringing him in to play behind Girardi.

Also, a bit OT- is Klein that much better than Adam McQuaid that he's 2x more expensive? I mean, $3 Mil is alot of dough to spend on a 3rd pairing guy.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:52 PM
  #340
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
Cool bean, I don't think it's as terrible of a proposal if you switched Paajarvi with a Schwartz. Staal is a very valuable commodity, and I would absolutely love Shattenkirk on Broadway. He's dynamite from the blueline on the PP. We can say bye to overpaying Stralman as well by bringing him in to play behind Girardi.

Also, a bit OT- is Klein that much better than Adam McQuaid that he's 2x more expensive? I mean, $3 Mil is alotmof more to spend on a 3rd pairing guy.
The difference between Schwartz and Pajaarvi is absolutely massive. Like, literally huge. And I still wouldn't do that deal.

Klein is a lot better than McQuaid. McQuaid is really just a 6th d-man, wheras Klein can move up and down the lineup. Remember that Klein played almost exclusively top-4 minutes in Nashville.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:12 PM
  #341
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
The difference between Schwartz and Pajaarvi is absolutely massive. Like, literally huge. And I still wouldn't do that deal.

Klein is a lot better than McQuaid. McQuaid is really just a 6th d-man, wheras Klein can move up and down the lineup. Remember that Klein played almost exclusively top-4 minutes in Nashville.
Yea, STL would laugh if we asked for Schwartz. Him at 21 year old had as many points as Stepan did this year. He's also a great 2way player and not just an offensive talent. I would say for the future, he has the same leadership qualities as Stepan has.


I guess the problem is people think Staal's value (who I like a lot) is close to Shattenkirk which I disagree. His offense (which people know is top notch) has potential to be top 10 easily, his defense I think can be good cause he has great ice vision. People say he plays bad D like if he's Fowler or something. Yes he not as good defensively as Staal but with his shot and offensive ability. McDonagh doesn't feel like he has to be the offensive burden while guys like Girardi and Moore can be your strict defensive responsibility guys.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:19 PM
  #342
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 29,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Yea, STL would laugh if we asked for Schwartz. Him at 21 year old had as many points as Stepan did this year. He's also a great 2way player and not just an offensive talent. I would say for the future, he has the same leadership qualities as Stepan has.


I guess the problem is people think Staal's value (who I like a lot) is close to Shattenkirk which I disagree. His offense (which people know is top notch) has potential to be top 10 easily, his defense I think can be good cause he has great ice vision. People say he plays bad D like if he's Fowler or something. Yes he not as good defensively as Staal but with his shot and offensive ability. McDonagh doesn't feel like he has to be the offensive burden while guys like Girardi and Moore can be your strict defensive responsibility guys.
Fowler has actually really improved defensively.

Shattenkirk was never good defensively, even in his draft year. And really, there's nothing wrong with him not being a two way god.

It's just not an upgrade I want to pay for. I'm also in the camp of thinking it's not even an upgrade.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
  #343
WeWillWinTonight
Registered User
 
WeWillWinTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I wrote this on the Trade forum.

A few days ago I asked what would it take to get Sobotka and STL fans said they would need an upgrade at center since they are extremely weak there. As a Rangers fan, I would hate to lose Stepan. This deal could only happen if Stasny signs with the Rangers first. The Rangers really lack an offensive Dman with a great shot to help the PP. What Shattenkirk brings would help a lot more than what is lost from going from Stepan to Stasny. Sobotka is also a young player that does everything but score. STL fans do say that he is improving his passing game. He has the intangibles that we need such as one of the best faceoff guys and PKs. Paajarvi is young, has potential and is very fast (something the Rangers love).

Staal's game is being a shutdown Dman. He plays on the left side while Pietrangelo is on the right (who has an offensive game). Staal-Pietrangelo could end up being one of the top pairings in the NHL. With Stepan only being 24, STL fills a big hole while having a 1-2 C for 5+ years.


The Rangers Trade:

Stepan, Staal, and draft pick for Shattenkirk, Sobotka, and Paajarvi

Dorsett for a draft pick


Kreider (2.25) - Stasny (6.5) - Nash (7.8)
Hagelin (2.25) - Brassard (4.25) - St. Louis (5.625)
Paajarvi (1.2) - Sobotka (2.25) - Zuccarello (3.75)
JT Miller (.900) - Moore (1.5) - Fast (.805)

McDonagh (4.7) - Shattenkirk (4.25)
Moore (3) - Girardi (5.5)
Allen (.925) - Klein (2.9)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Talbot (.562)

With this lineup (minus the injury fillers) the Rangers salary comes out to 69.417M. Just going by capgeek, they use a 71.1M salary cap. So the Rangers have about an extra 1.5M of space to play with.

What do you guys think????
You really think there will be that drastic of a roster change after going to the finals ?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:07 PM
  #344
iamthewalrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 847
vCash: 500
I'd rather just trade wing/defense depth and picks for Kadri. I'm sick of signing older guys. Anyone over 29 scares me

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
  #345
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
You really think there will be that drastic of a roster change after going to the finals ?
Because of the salary cap hell Sather put us in, a decent amount of roster change was inevitable.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:16 PM
  #346
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
You really think there will be that drastic of a roster change after going to the finals ?
I mean we're trading big pieces but only 2 guys out of pretty much the whole team.

Stasny replaces Stepan
Shattenkirk replaces Staal
Sobotka is the new 3rd line centerman. You can say Sobotka replaces Boyle. Honestly, I think Sobotka is a lot better than Boyle.

I just don't think we'll be able to afford guys like Stralman or Boyle. They want to get paid and possibly bigger roles. I do know Stralman is tired of moving but some team will overpay for his services.

Maybe I'm even offering too much and they can include a 2nd round pick too.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:25 PM
  #347
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Inebriation
Country: United States
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
You really think there will be that drastic of a roster change after going to the finals ?
Some might argue that, even tho we were in the finals, we weren't that close.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:34 PM
  #348
aufheben
Global Moderator
#FreeClendening
 
aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,087
vCash: 69
Shattenkirk isn't replacing Staal in that lineup, John Moore is. Also, the whole point of trading Staal would be to retain Stralman.

__________________
http://infinitewisdomtooth.deviantart.com/gallery/
Updated 12/4/16
"Jim Ramsay is going to have 40 points at this rate." - Bob Richards
aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 09:02 PM
  #349
Dactyl*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 17,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Some might argue that, even tho we were in the finals, we weren't that close.
3 goals away from a cup?

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 05:25 AM
  #350
The Lunatic Fridge
Registered User
 
The Lunatic Fridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Stastny is pretty much putting up flag signals for the rangers to come pick him up

1) FA - check
2) Says he wants to test market - check
3) your GM is glen sather - check

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.