HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov Re-signs 5.75m/3 years

Old
06-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
There's nothing less certain than this.
And there's nothing more speculative than claiming some better deal was available.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Unfortunately, we'll never know whether or not there were better options out there.

The worst contract is by far Gorges'. Emelin's performance against NYR to me is forgivable. It was incredibly predictable, considering the physical matchups he had for 7 games prior to that.
We know there is nobody on the open market that is better than Markov. Is there someone on the trade market? Maybe, maybe not. Basically, you don't know. You can't really argue for something you don't know about.
What we do know however is that Dmen that are better than Markov rarely get traded, and even less so before a season - ie not at the traded deadline.

There's really no point in hating this deal. It was a necessity. I'm more upset we missed out on Hartnell.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

The General is back. He'll still be a hot commodity if he's not helping us. He wanted long-term security, he got it.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Where were these options?
Those, we'll discover in the next few weeks when teams like Detroit and TB acquire guys like Yandle and add them to their D-cores.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 1220
The Habs needed Markov back, without him this defense would have been ugly. I wish it was only 2 years but still I'm good with it. Hoepfully he stays healthy. It would also be a good idea to reduce his minutes. Will MT realize that?

Jamie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Can we stop with this Beaulieu and Tinordi thing? They'll get their chances and if they're good enough, they'll be in the top four. You realize that without Markov and just pushing Beaulieu and Tinordi in a position they're potentially not ready for, we'd be out of the playoffs, right?

Our D is weak as it is and would be even weaker without Markov.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Those, we'll discover in the next few weeks when teams like Detroit and TB acquire guys like Yandle and add them to their D-cores.
Or they won't. Or they'll pay an outrageous price. Or they would have signed UFA Markov instead.

Old
06-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
And what will will they give up for guys like Yandle. I don't want Yandle if its going to cost us Gallagher or Pacioretty

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners CH View Post
How many good teams are paying 5.75 million to defencemen who can't be leaned on because they are 37? 35 even?
He can be leaned on, you just don't make him your #1 all situation Dman. There's a big difference.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We know there is nobody on the open market that is better than Markov. Is there someone on the trade market? Maybe, maybe not. Basically, you don't know. You can't really argue for something you don't know about.
What we do know however is that Dmen that are better than Markov rarely get traded, and even less so before a season - ie not at the traded deadline.

There's really no point in hating this deal. It was a necessity. I'm more upset we missed out on Hartnell.
OH, every single player on our team in need of a contract can logically be re-signed, and it can be rationalized as a "necessity". Thing is; while on paper, with the last data, it MIGHT be rational to re-sign guys like Markov and Gionta, the future is independant of what happened last season.

When we sign Gionta, I'm sure the same bunch will come in and say how it was a necessity. I'm fairly certain though the results won't get any better than they were this spring.

Old
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Those guys cost assets though. And they ONLY might be moved. We have Markov for free. He's still a pretty good defenseman, why "look for other options" just in case and risking to just have nothing in the end? It would have been a pretty stupid risk to take, where the positive outcome probably isn't much of an improvement either.

That's just pure speculation at this point anyway.

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners CH View Post
How slow is Markov going to look at 36, 37, and 38?
I think his top speed, although not great, ain't bad. If we keep a shorter leash on him and don't expect a 37/38 year old to challenge for top toi on the backend I think he can still play well and not get gassed.

If we only had one solution to lack of speed on defense, apply it to Emelin

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnLennon

Those of you who do not like it don't seem to realize that we badly need Markov for the next two years, and it is more worth risking that third year than losing him right now. The cap hit is good, and honestly probably a discount to what he could've gotten if he threatened to go to the open market.

Good deal for the Habs. Glad Markov is back. A true Montreal Canadien.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Keep in mind that GONCHAR was a comparable and Markov is faster, better and stronger than him.

I'm happy with the deal and happy we get to keep a player for his entire career. A true Hab.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
yoteshot

He's at 765 NHL Games.
3 years x 82 = 246.

765 + 246 = 1011.

He can miss 11 games in the next 3 seasons if he wants to reach the millenium with the Canadiens (I would love for him to achieve that)

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Meh. Guess we didn't have much of a choice.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Milhouse40

Very good news to me.
Nobody in our system could've take his minutes....as it's not even close.

I'm okay with the 3 years, would've like a little bit less money but still a good signing.
Will probably spend his entire career in MTL

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:11 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

What annoys me the most with this signature is that the ****ing squirrel donning the "C" for our team is also likely to get re-signed. That's a ******** of money we'll have spend re-signing aging assets.

Old
06-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
OH, every single player on our team in need of a contract can logically be re-signed, and it can be rationalized as a "necessity". Thing is; while on paper, with the last data, it MIGHT be rational to re-sign guys like Markov and Gionta, the future is independant of what happened last season.
I like how you don't even bother to offer options. You just handwave that, somehow, a better deal was available and somehow, MB missed the boat. This is pure FUD. Of course, MB speaks to every GM every weeks, and you don't, so he has a much better idea of the situation than you'll ever have, but somehow this is handwaved too.

Old
06-23-2014, 02:13 PM
boynickname

I am happy with the deal. I would not have let Markov walk because he wanted 3 years and most posters wanted to give him only 2 years. Doesn't make any sense...if we let walk because we only offer him 2 years then why didn't we trade him at the trade deadline?

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
What annoys me the most with this signature is that the ****ing squirrel donning the "C" for our team is also likely to get re-signed. That's a ******** of money we'll have spend re-signing aging assets.
I'm sorry but... why is Gionta what "annoys you the most with this signature"? How is Markov signature in any way related to Gionta?

Old
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau

Quote:
Maybe not, but there sure were options that would've made the Habs better back on D out there... Especially in a market said to be incredibly active on the trade front.
Yep, let's not re-sign one of the Habs' Top 4 D-man, then overpay to get one on the trade market. So who do you trade? Another one of your Top-4? (You're down one.) One of your Top-6 F? ('cuz that's what it'll cost.) It'll likely cost you one of each to get someone of Markov's caliber. I fail to see how this makes the team better.

Besides, if a player is good enough to replace Markov (better even), why would a team trade him?

Active schmactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Well, that's not really the same kind of options if we have to trade a player to replace Markov!
What he said

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:15 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
I like how you don't even bother to offer options. You just handwave that, somehow, a better deal was available and somehow, MB missed the boat. This is pure FUD. Of course, MB speaks to every GM every weeks, and you don't, so he has a much better idea of the situation than you'll ever have, but somehow this is handwaved too.
What is the point of offering options if I know you're going to point out it's all speculation anyway?
I'll play the game though.

Vancouver will significantly change the face of their roster this summer, likely deadling Bieksa/Garrison/Edler.

There's Brian Campbell who might get tossed too.

There's a guy like Keith Yandle who's said to be on the market.

There was a just slightly lesser Markov on the market in Boyle, who would've asked one less year by his own admission.

A guy like Ehrhoff will also be available.

Then, you have those lesser UFAs who are younger and who will likely be more effective in 3 years than Markov will be...

Old
06-23-2014, 02:15 PM
1UP

Considering how bad our D looked without Gorges, I shudder to think what it would have looked like without Markov.

His playstyle should allow him to stay at the very least relevant for the next 3 years. The rise of Beaulieu and Tinordi will serve to reduce his ice time a bit, allowing him to be more productive in the playoffs. 5.75M for a defenseman of his caliber is quite fine, and we all know he really has the Habs and Montréal to heart. And we know as well that he has been a great influence on Price and Subban.

I'm cool with him finishing his career here. Let's just say that for sticking with the team during the worst times, and giving his all during all those years, despite the injuries and setbacks, he deserved that bonus 3rd year. Classy move by the organisation.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:16 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
I'm sorry but... why is Gionta what "annoys you the most with this signature"? How is Markov signature in any way related to Gionta?
Because it keeps this roster older as a whole. Is that that hard of a concept to grasp?