HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2014, 08:56 PM
  #76
CC96
Serious Offender
 
CC96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 12,841
vCash: 500
Hemsky plays a totally different style than Vrbata, will probably cost more, has scored 99 points over the last 3 years compared to Vrbata's 131 during that time period, 32 goals during that same time period compared to Vrbata's 57,

Hemsky has also only played 70+ games once, since 2009-2010, not to mention he's also been criticized in Edmonton for his inconsistency, and perceived lack of effort at times.

I understand letting Vrbata walk if he asks too much, but if he and Hemsky cost the same, I'd much rather keep Vrbata, since we have no idea how Hemsky would fit in here.

CC96 is online now  
Old
06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
  #77
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's going to need the whole year in the AHL. He adjusts slowly.
...and I don't think he needs much adjustment to the pro game. I predict he will fit in faster than what is expected from most in this forum.

DesertDawg is offline  
Old
06-24-2014, 09:19 PM
  #78
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
Yup. The Yandle/Vrbata witch hunt going around here is just plain stupid.
Reminds me of back in the day when rt almost single handedly convinced everyone that Jovo was the devil. By the time he tried to reel it in a bit the train had already left the station and taken on a life of it's own. haha

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
06-24-2014, 09:24 PM
  #79
AndrewYotes
Registered User
 
AndrewYotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Reminds me of back in the day when rt almost single handedly convinced everyone that Jovo was the devil. By the time he tried to reel it in a bit the train had already left the station and taken on a life of it's own. haha
What year of Jovo are we talking about? Because his last year here he was pretty brutal.

AndrewYotes is offline  
Old
06-24-2014, 10:30 PM
  #80
YotesFan47
Registered User
 
YotesFan47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I just don't feel that he needs a whole year. He is already physically and mentally mature enough. He has a good understanding of the NHL game and what he has to do to be successful. The one thing I would like him to do, if management thinks they will eventually be paired together, is give him a lot of playing time with Lessio in Portland to start the season. At some point during the season, I can see both playing on the 4th line in AZ. I also believe at that time they would benefit more from playing 4th line minutes in the NHL than 1st line minutes in the 'A'. And with Hanzal and Vermette, they wouldn't need to be the typical one dimentional 4th line and that also depends on the supporting cast for Hanzal and Vermette.
Hes been playing in a league where he is bigger and stronger than 95% of his competition and hes got a lot of work to do on his foot speed and acceleration. Put those two things in with the fact that the NHL and AHL game will be faster paced and more defensively resilient, hes going to need a year or two more to adjust.

I like the kid as much as the next guy but there is no reason we shouldn't let him have a few years working to dominate the AHL and having fat confidence before coming to the NHL. Two more years of 15 goal band aids wont kill us if we can clean up our blue line a smidge. We can still squeak into the playoffs with a big addition to our blue line.

YotesFan47 is offline  
Old
06-24-2014, 11:20 PM
  #81
letowskie
Registered User
 
letowskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In your worst nighmare
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Hemsky plays a totally different style than Vrbata, will probably cost more, has scored 99 points over the last 3 years compared to Vrbata's 131 during that time period, 32 goals during that same time period compared to Vrbata's 57,

Hemsky has also only played 70+ games once, since 2009-2010, not to mention he's also been criticized in Edmonton for his inconsistency, and perceived lack of effort at times.

I understand letting Vrbata walk if he asks too much, but if he and Hemsky cost the same, I'd much rather keep Vrbata, since we have no idea how Hemsky would fit in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Why do you keep repeating this?! I don't know how you're coming to this conclusion. Vrbata is an opportunistic shooter who rarely passes and Hemsky is an opportunistic passer who rarely shoots. They couldn't be much different players! Hell if anything Hemsky is the perfect compliment to Vrbata, not a replacement.
Not a huge difference in their ability to shoot.

Both have similar career shooting %, Hemsky slightly ahead. Vrbata does take about 1 shot more per game, which is substantial, but you have to take into account their linemates.

Hemsky had always had a more finishing type on his line, year in and hear out. Despite that, he's a regular 20 goal scorer when placed on a line with competent linemates. Whether it's Smyth, Sykora, Penner, Hall, etc. He's always had to play that role of setup man. He also had significant time during several seasons where he had lingering shoulder problems, which definitely affected the shot a release quite a bit; when he's health and on a decent line, he's at least a 20 goal scorer.

The guy has a really good shot and fairfly quick release, and can hit the net very well from wide angles. He does tend to over-handle the puck a bit, but on the flipside should help our possession a lot, especially if he's on a line with players that can win board battles. He doesn't shoot as much from far out, like along the boards around the FO circles, but that's also because the Oiler's emphasis on speed and zone entrance. He also had possibly the best stretches of his career on the wing of Spezza, and can definitely complement a pass first center as well. So Ribeiro's wing may also be a pretty good option, if someone else is found for Hanzal.

letowskie is offline  
Old
06-24-2014, 11:49 PM
  #82
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Dealing Yandle to Detroit for a package of young guys, beneficial in itself, also frees up about $3 million in spending money. Moneypucking to follow...

Nyquist (1.05) - Ribeiro (5.5) - Vanek (7)
Domi (.925) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.8)
Abdelkader (2) - Hanzal (3.25) - Doan (5.05)
McMillan (.745) - Ott (3) - Erat (2.25)

OEL (4) - Michalek (4)
Gormley (.81) - W. Mitchell (2)
Summers (.575) - Stone (1.2)
Schlemko (1.275) - Murphy (.833)

Smith (6)
C. Johnson (.6)

Comes out to $59.246M. We don't re-sign Vrbata, Moss, Halpern, Biz, Mo, and Greiss, and move Korpi, Chip, and Klink for picks, with cash coming back. I don't really like ditching Erat on the fourth line, but there was no other space. Plus he can do more than score.

If you don't like Vanek, and want more cap space, sub in someone like Hemsky, Milan Michalek, or even Vrbata. Vitale for Ott to save more cash. I'm more interested in Montoya than Johnson, so he's workable if we save money elsewhere.

Anyone else willing to bite on Willie Mitchell (albeit for about half his current salary)? Not sure of his status with the Kings going forward, but his style of play is what our blueline has been missing.
This is alright, actually. I hate trading Yandle, but If this is the butterfly effect of doing so, I like it.

Rabbit is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 12:31 AM
  #83
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...and I don't think he needs much adjustment to the pro game. I predict he will fit in faster than what is expected from most in this forum.
He always adjusts slowly.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 12:37 AM
  #84
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Reminds me of back in the day when rt almost single handedly convinced everyone that Jovo was the devil. By the time he tried to reel it in a bit the train had already left the station and taken on a life of it's own. haha
Successful groin surgery led to a very significant, albeit short-lived resurgence in his overall effectiveness. But yeah, you've got it right. I made 90% of hf understand how awful he was early on, and could not turn the tide of misinformation around at all when his play improved drastically. Though, I'd argue it worked somewhat, eventually. Too late, really. Even after we all knew he was done as dinner, and Florida signed him to a recklessly stupid, drunken contract that was way, way too rich (and is still a burr in their saddle) there were many on the main board who thought it was a good deal.

rt is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 12:49 AM
  #85
Desert Ice 11
Registered User
 
Desert Ice 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Successful groin surgery led to a very significant, albeit short-lived resurgence in his overall effectiveness. But yeah, you've got it right. I made 90% of hf understand how awful he was early on, and could not turn the tide of misinformation around at all when his play improved drastically. Though, I'd argue it worked somewhat, eventually. Too late, really. Even after we all knew he was done as dinner, and Florida signed him to a recklessly stupid, drunken contract that was way, way too rich (and is still a burr in their saddle) there were many on the main board who thought it was a good deal.
I liked that he was gritty but he was pretty awful especially toward the end of his time in Phoenix. I was surprised that a team actually picked him up. He was done well before he left for Florida...Wonder if the same will happen to Morris.

Desert Ice 11 is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 08:55 AM
  #86
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
Remember when he was voted the most over paid player in hockey? Was it The Hockey News that came out with that article. It really pissed Jovo off but is was dead on.

He was the second big contract that FA year right after Chara. I wonder how the franchise's fate would have been different if we were able to land Chara instead?

RemoAZ is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 09:50 AM
  #87
Jakeman
Registered User
 
Jakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
I liked that he was gritty but he was pretty awful especially toward the end of his time in Phoenix. I was surprised that a team actually picked him up. He was done well before he left for Florida...Wonder if the same will happen to Morris.
Morris will be signed by someone else. He can still play and provide leadership to a team.

Jakeman is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 10:19 AM
  #88
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Morris will be signed by someone else. He can still play and provide leadership to a team.
Edmonton just pissed on everyone's parade by signing Nikitin for 4.5/year, for two years. Crazy amount of money. Fayne and the like are in for a hayday.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 01:12 PM
  #89
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,406
vCash: 500
Callahan resigns in Tampa Bay. 6 years/5.8M AAV, partial NTC.

IPreferPi is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 01:14 PM
  #90
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Edmonton just pissed on everyone's parade by signing Nikitin for 4.5/year, for two years. Crazy amount of money. Fayne and the like are in for a hayday.
I kind of agree, but doesn't Edmonton have to over pay to get anyone to sign there? Look at what they paid Gordon.

cobra427 is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  #91
Bonsai Tree
Coyotes Tire Fire
 
Bonsai Tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Oh boy! Signing Nikitin makes Edmonton an automatic favorite for the Stanley Cup next year. They spent their money very wisely indeed.

Bonsai Tree is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  #92
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Since teams and players that are UFA's, can now chat with each other, I wonder if Verby will sign before July 1st if he does not see the offers he is looking for? Verby is going to find out now if he has leverage or a better deal to get more money elsewhere. I think if he stays here, he likely signs before the 1st.

cobra427 is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 01:38 PM
  #93
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,406
vCash: 500
Wow, Lombardi decides to roll the dice w/ Gaborik and a seven year deal. EDIT: 7 years, 4.9M AAV.


Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-25-2014 at 01:54 PM.
IPreferPi is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
  #94
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Wow, Lombardi decides to roll the dice w/ Gaborik and a seven year deal. EDIT: 7 years, 4.9M AAV.
Dang. Term is long, but you have to imagine that he may not be there the entire time, someone will stupidly trade for him when he is past his prime because of how low that salary is.

Gotta imagine this will make negotiating with Vrbata easier. Or maybe will drop the dollar on the offers Vanek gets.

Grimes is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 02:17 PM
  #95
albertabound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Is it normally this late before Phx starts signing players that are free on July 1? Anyone hear anything if they are signing any of them?

albertabound is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 02:23 PM
  #96
Jakeman
Registered User
 
Jakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabound View Post
Is it normally this late before Phx starts signing players that are free on July 1? Anyone hear anything if they are signing any of them?
I seems slow from a coyotes perspective.

Jakeman is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 02:37 PM
  #97
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Dang. Term is long, but you have to imagine that he may not be there the entire time, someone will stupidly trade for him when he is past his prime because of how low that salary is.

Gotta imagine this will make negotiating with Vrbata easier. Or maybe will drop the dollar on the offers Vanek gets.
This is a bit of cap circumvention, but the total dollars at 35 mill is scary. What is Verby worth in total dollars? Less, but even at 25 mill, it is a good chunk of change. Once in your 30's, the total dollar amount might be more important then the years. I guess we could give him a 6 year deal at 4 mill per year, more up front, less in later years, so we can dump him when he is older. This will be interesting to see how it turns out.

cobra427 is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 03:27 PM
  #98
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabound View Post
Is it normally this late before Phx starts signing players that are free on July 1? Anyone hear anything if they are signing any of them?
Vrbata is going to year the market.

Greiss wants to move on.

We are some with Morris.

The rest are inconsequential.

rt is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 03:54 PM
  #99
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,796
vCash: 500
I suspect Maloney is talking with Hemsky and Milan Michalek. I wonder which other UFAs they are having discussions with.
Stastny? Likely not the top$$$
Iginla? Not as long a the Coyotes have Playfair as one of the coaches
Vanek? Probably take less money to play in Minnesota
Moulson? Goalies?
Hopefully he is reaching out to players such as Vitale, Fayne,

I can see Vrbata getting back with GMDM after gaging "interest" from other teams. They may not be the highest bidder.

I can see the Coyotes gaining a reputation as a good place to go for UFAs.

DesertDawg is offline  
Old
06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
  #100
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,693
vCash: 500
None until July 7th. Otherwise it's tampering and is illegal.

rt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.