HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rozsival is officially a Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Whatever needs to be done to push Purinton into the AHL or worse is fine by me. I'd rather a "soft" skillful player than a goon anyday. I put "soft" in quotations because it is generally accepted that he was branded as such due to his unwillingness to play through an injury, not for an unwillingness to play physically. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Old
09-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Skk82

as a pens fan i'm glad to see rozsival caught on with an NHL team.

i could see him as a good 3rd line defenseman (and second PP guy) for the rangers. as you probably know, he's got good puck-handling skills and is a decently competant all-around defenseman.

biggest knock is definitely durability. IIRC, he's up to 3 total knee surgeries (2 on one knee and 1 surgery on the other) and seemingly will get knocked out of the lineup for extended periods with everything from a bum thumb to foot problems. but when rozsival's actually in the lineup, he's a servicable option as a 5/6 defenseman for sure.

Old
09-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
so now with the signing of rozsival, will this be what the D look like...

Tyutin- Kasparitis
Poti-Malik
Rozsival-Kondratiev
You know that I'm the opposite of a Euro-hater, but I do find it a little ominous that our blueline consists of 5 Europeans and a girl.

Old
09-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
You know that I'm the opposite of a Euro-hater, but I do find it a little ominous that our blueline consists of 5 Europeans and a girl.

have you seen our lineup???

Jagr, Straka, Rosie, Nieminen, Nylander, Balej, Immonen, Prucha, Lundqvist

not that i am complaining, but were the UN team this year. 13/18 up front and 1/2 of the goalies should be the projected roster.

Old
09-07-2005, 01:22 AM
eco's bones

[QUOTE=007]You know that I'm the opposite of a Euro-hater, but I do find it a little ominous that our blueline consists of 5 Europeans and a girl.[/QUOTE

I agree that this defense is not tough enough to protect our goalies. Roszival seems to be pegged in as the last regular. All the slots are filled once again except for the scratch. I know to some this signing seems to be the precursor to Poti being traded but what if it's not?

Old
09-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Excellent signing.
Rozsival has all the tools. He can makes great passes, can run a PP, is solid defensively and can hit pretty hard.
His main negative is his mental game. He can make some stupid errors and can be passive.
That said, these will come with maturity, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb the depth chart in NY.
With that said, his biggest question mark is still his health.

Old
09-07-2005, 05:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Eh...with the likes of Staal, Sauer, Liffiton, Lampman, Taylor, Guenin, Potter, Paiement, Flatt and Koverko in the system, I don't foresee that as a future trend.

Old
09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

who cares where a guy is born? just because somebody is born in europe makes them less of a player?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-07-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old
09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
I don't understand how people don't like this move. He's got good skill and pretty good size (although he's not a tremendous banger), allows Sather to trade a veteran (hmmm... who could that be?) now or down the road, AND HE'S ONLY 26. In other words, younger than Jed Ortmeyer. I mean, I know he's not a NYR draft pick, but this is completely consistent with a youth movement. Good signing.
Let's try this again. It's not that people do not like Rozsival, per se. It's that they do not like signing BOTH him and Malik. Why? Becuase, no matter how good young guys may play, Kasper, Rozsival, Malik & Poti are guaranteed 4 of the top 6 spots on defense. Presumably Tyutin is going to get the other one. The issue is that that only leaves one spot open for Kondratiev, Lampman or Pock. We won't even mention Purinton, Strudwick or Rullier.
To a good amount of people, Lampman showed that he is ready to hold down a spot on the 3rd defensive pairing. Sather then goes out and signs both Rozsival & Malik. While the fact that he is paying a pair of 3rd pairing defensemen to play on the top two pairs is yet another issue, the real issue is that ONCE AGAIN, Sather has cut down the opportunity for youngsters to play. What if BOTH Lampman and Kondratiev outplay the likes of Malik and Rozsival in camp? Too bad becuase there is only room for one. Bear no dellusions that Poti is getting traded. He is not. What if Lampman, Kondratiev & Pock outplay Malik and Rozsival.
The problem is that the Maliks and Rozsivals of the world would be unsigned for a good long time. If one of the youngsters was not ready, they could have been signed then. As it stands now, Sather's youth movement during a rebuild features only one non-vet defenseman (Presume that Tyutin makes it and the last spot is between Pock, Lampman or Kondratiev). Again, not moves a rebuilding team typically makes.

Old
09-07-2005, 08:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Rebuilding is different here.

Old
09-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Europeans CAN play physical and nasty too, believe it or not.

What I'm worried about is division on the team. We've seemingly grouped together different bunches of 2-3 guys who played with each other on some European team or another. I sure hope they all like eachother.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Rebuilding is different here.
Looks like Slats has set his sights on 9th place.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Looks like Slats has set his sights on 9th place.
With the 15th pick,the New York Rangers select from the QMJHL, Limbo Gonowhere.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I hope Lampman likes his apartment in Hartford.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
With the 15th pick,the New York Rangers select from the QMJHL, Limbo Gonowhere.

Actually the Isles traded up to get Gonowhere.

With the 15th pick the Rangers select from Pardubice HC, Medi Ocre.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Fletch

Firefly...

you're 100% correct that Euros can play pysical - just do not expect that from Malik, Rucinsky, Jagr, Straka and Nylander, and on many nights, Rozsival - six guys who will get a very significant amount of ice time this season.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Actually the Isles traded up to get Gonowhere.

With the 15th pick the Rangers select from Pardubice HC, Medi Ocre.
Ahh...yes, kid brother to Bland Ocre.

Old
09-07-2005, 10:24 AM
BringBackNeilSmith

Maybe it's just me, but I'd wait a couple months before moving Poti, or at least going out of my way to do so. I'd kind of like to get a handle on just how the rules changes are going to play out first... we could find ourselves in an environment where Poti's passing skills are of sufficient additional importance that they finally outweigh his defensive liabilities just a little. I'm not a big fan of his, and I'd still take York back in a heartbeat, but looking elsewhere on the roster for someone who we know can QB the 1st team on the power play I come up empty. With the team we have right now, Poti would almost have to be moved for another offensive defenseman, and they mostly share the same upsides and downsides... Bourques and Leetches don't grow on trees and you sure don't get them in a trade for Tom Poti.

Old
09-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
you're 100% correct that Euros can play pysical - just do not expect that from Malik, Rucinsky, Jagr, Straka and Nylander, and on many nights, Rozsival - six guys who will get a very significant amount of ice time this season.
And it's not just the lack of them being physical, it's also that they are lacking on the defensivew side of the equation also...Probably add in Balej (who I like) to the 1st two lines and not only do we have a marshmellow soft defense Except for Kaspar and the leanrning Tyutin) but the lines that will see the most ice are even softer...Team Wuss.....This team will be brutalized physically and on the scoreboard....But maybe Hollweg, Ortmeier and Weller can throw a few hits in their 3 minutes of ice to help Niemenein out...

And this has NOTHING to do with this Euro crap...Neimenen was a great pick-up...And I love Kasparitis's game..I can just see opening night against the Flyers....

Old
09-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Firefly

Sure we don't have many (or any) big bruisers. But I would argue that a good portion of our projected lineup this season CAN hold their own physically. They're not going to go out of their way to annihilate the opposition, but I really don't see them being thrown around like ragdolls like some people are suggesting will happen.

I think our defense is getting a bad name here too. Here lies perhaps our dirtiest, grittiest, most physical presense (besides Nieminen) in Kasparaitis. Tyutin, Kondratiev, Malik, and Roszival, while not known for their physicallity, are all decent sized guys. And personally, I'm going to hold my judgement of Roszival and Malik and the claims to them being soft and girly until I see them play this season.

And maybe, just maybe, the league WILL open up. There WILL be less clutching and grabbing, speed WILL increase. Does our defense look that bad in that case? Suddenly, we have a corps of fairly physical and mobile defenders who (I would think) will translate well into this new NHL. Yes, even Malik. It's a longshot but don't rule it out.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:14 AM
ap215

I've watched Roszival play when he was with the penguins and he's a decent player. Let's see what he can do with the blueshirts.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
have you seen our lineup???

Jagr, Straka, Rosie, Nieminen, Nylander, Balej, Immonen, Prucha, Lundqvist

not that i am complaining, but were the UN team this year. 13/18 up front and 1/2 of the goalies should be the projected roster.
I still don't think Immonen and Prucha are definite locks to start with the Rangers. Even Balej is a question mark in my eyes.

I do agree that our team has a European flavor though, that's plain to see.

Old
09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Sure we don't have many (or any) big bruisers. But I would argue that a good portion of our projected lineup this season CAN hold their own physically. They're not going to go out of their way to annihilate the opposition, but I really don't see them being thrown around like ragdolls like some people are suggesting will happen.

I think our defense is getting a bad name here too. Here lies perhaps our dirtiest, grittiest, most physical presense (besides Nieminen) in Kasparaitis. Tyutin, Kondratiev, Malik, and Roszival, while not known for their physicallity, are all decent sized guys. And personally, I'm going to hold my judgement of Roszival and Malik and the claims to them being soft and girly until I see them play this season.

And maybe, just maybe, the league WILL open up. There WILL be less clutching and grabbing, speed WILL increase. Does our defense look that bad in that case? Suddenly, we have a corps of fairly physical and mobile defenders who (I would think) will translate well into this new NHL. Yes, even Malik. It's a longshot but don't rule it out.
The game opening up might help mask some if the teams flaws but it does not eliviate the need for team toughness on the whole. And that just is not there.

Old
09-07-2005, 12:15 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Like who? Who is going to answer the bell to Brashear? Who is going to fight for open space in corners? Who is going to make any effort to get their nose dirty against Forsberg or Prims?

"I think our defense is getting a bad name here too. Here lies perhaps our dirtiest, grittiest, most physical presense (besides Nieminen) in Kasparaitis. Tyutin, Kondratiev, Malik, and Roszival, while not known for their physicallity, are all decent sized guys. And personally, I'm going to hold my judgement of Roszival and Malik and the claims to them being soft and girly until I see them play this season."

Just ask Vancouver fans how soft Malik. Soft enough to make Poti look like Foote on some nights. The issue with defensemen like Malik & Poti is not that they are not physical, but that they actually shy away from contact. Neither is anywhere to be found when it is time to clear the crease. And most of us have seen Roszival play enough to say that, while he may not shy away from contact like the other two, he is not what one would call a physical prescence. None of the three do anything that holds opponents honest. That leaves Kasper, Tyutin and one of 'Drats, Lampman or Pock. And you believe that our defense gets a bad name?

"And maybe, just maybe, the league WILL open up. There WILL be less clutching and grabbing, speed WILL increase. Does our defense look that bad in that case? Suddenly, we have a corps of fairly physical and mobile defenders who (I would think) will translate well into this new NHL. Yes, even Malik. It's a longshot but don't rule it out."

I have no doubt that the league WILL open up. And yes, there will be less clutching and grabbing. However, the NHL is not going to an offense that is based entirely off the rush and the premise that all 1st shots go in. There will still be more than enough corner work and fighting for rebounds. The way our defense is currently contructed, they will not be abel to handle those tasks. Can the defense be mobile? Sure. But who are these physical defenders, once you get past Kasper? Not Poti, Malik or Rozsival, that's for sure.

Old
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Firefly

Like I said before, I'll wait to see Malik and Roszival's play before I jump all over them. Some people (not necessarily you TB) seem to take bitter Nucks fans' opinions too seriously. You have a majority that just hate his guts because he's soft, and then you have some other people who write out rational posts about how he's actually pretty decent. I believe one person mentioned because he's so damn big rarely has to hit, people just can't get around him.

Closed Thread