HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Josh Bailey is a trade target

Old
06-24-2014, 01:07 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
He plays well once the Islanders are out of contention making it look like he's finally turned the corner, potential also played a bit into those contract negotiations.
This is actually not true at all. His play down the stretch in 2013 was a big reason why they were able to make the playoffs.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Islander Prophet

interesting that he thinks it would take a lot to get him... Is it just him assuming that or did he hear any evidence that someone offered lots to get him???

If he is traded for something good, I would be very happy because that would mean he is being overrated by other GMs around the league.

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Franson could definitely be on the bottom pairing. I wouldn't mind him.
He made $2m this season and is due a raise, after a contract hassle last summer. I think he's also a ufa in 2015. So, it's pay up on a multi yr deal or see him walk as a ufa in 2015.

I don't see the isles paying him big bucks, to play sheltered mins on the 3rd pairing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:12 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He's better offensively than a lot of our bottom guys. Plus he's RH.
He's not as bad as some make him seem.

Great offensively. He was terrific with Fraser a couple years back. The whole Leafs defense has had it rough lately, but if given a solid defensive partner I definitely think he can slide into the top four comfortably.

This doesn't speak to my interest in getting rid of Franson though. I like him, and would hope to keep him as part of our future, but I can definitely see him moved due to the younger offensive defensemen the Leafs already have.

06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Theodore450

why would they trade him for picks, if they wanna win next year

Theodore450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
He's not as bad as some make him seem.

Great offensively. He was terrific with Fraser a couple years back. The whole Leafs defense has had it rough lately, but if given a solid defensive partner I definitely think he can slide into the top four comfortably.

This doesn't speak to my interest in getting rid of Franson though. I like him, and would hope to keep him as part of our future, but I can definitely see him moved due to the younger offensive defensemen the Leafs already have.
Yes. The Leafs are trying to find a reliable, top 4 defenseman, yet willing to let this quality defenseman slip away

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...fs-team-needs/
it is imperative that Toronto find a reliable top-four defenceman to cut down on the giveaways and missed assignments.

Old
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
As an Islanders fan I'd rather keep Bailey and try him out as LW on Tavares line.

He's smart, good defensively and a very good passer. There is no return that we will be able to get that has those same attributes.

He's an EXCELLENT third-liner who can slot in the top two lines if any of the 20 year olds don't live up to expectations (which is always likely given the age and inexperience).

I also don't think four years remaining with 13M of cap is detrimental or a big hit. It's barely more than 5% of a team operating at the top of the cap.

If the return is a 2nd or a 3rd pick it's an absolute no-brainer to keep him.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AaronEkbald

Some lucky team could spend a bag of pucks to make Bailey the waterboy.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Cogliano was in a similar situation in Edmonton and fetched a 2nd rounder from the Ducks. I expect a similar price for whoever gets Bailey (maybe a B level prospect too).

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Fire Dumboer
FINALLY

Ovechkin for Bailey like someone suggested a couple of months ago

Fire Dumboer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Cogliano was in a similar situation in Edmonton and fetched a 2nd rounder from the Ducks. I expect a similar price for whoever gets Bailey (maybe a B level prospect too).
I agree that Bailey has little trade value and what you discuss here would be fair return.

Why move him then?

06-24-2014, 01:31 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Yes. The Leafs are trying to find a reliable, top 4 defenseman, yet willing to let this quality defenseman slip away

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...fs-team-needs/
it is imperative that Toronto find a reliable top-four defenceman to cut down on the giveaways and missed assignments.
Well yeah, the Leafs cannot succeed with their current group, but what I'm saying is that Franson can be part of a successful defense.

Right now, there is only one decent defensive presence. The others are unreliable and inexperienced. Just because the Leaf defense as a whole isn't up to snuff, doesn't mean every player doesn't have their merits.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
This is actually not true at all. His play down the stretch in 2013 was a big reason why they were able to make the playoffs.
Agreed. Totally forgot about his run in 2013....disregard my earlier post.

bvon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:42 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Well yeah, the Leafs cannot succeed with their current group, but what I'm saying is that Franson can be part of a successful defense.

Right now, there is only one decent defensive presence. The others are unreliable and inexperienced. Just because the Leaf defense as a whole isn't up to snuff, doesn't mean every player doesn't have their merits.
I am not saying Franson is worthless. I am saying he is not a dependable, top 4 defenseman.
The leafs need a quality, top 4 defenseman and have Franson on the roster ,but won't play him in that role because while he has the tools, he lacks the toolbox.

The isles also need a quality, top 4 defenseman. Please quit trying to sell Franson as a quality, top 4. You lose credibility.

Old
06-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Jester9881

The only real negative to Josh Baileys game is his consistency on offense. He's solid defensively, has good possession numbers, versatility and shows flashes of real good offensive upside. If the kid could only put up another 10-15pts, I think more people would come around on him.

The only reason I would have him on the block (either him or Grabner) is because there's no more room for centers and the Islanders could use an upgrade on LW in the middle six. Anders Lee is essentially starting to push one of those two guys out of a job on the Island.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
JackJ

Quote:
I am not saying Franson is worthless. I am saying he is not a dependable, top 4 defenseman.
The leafs need a quality, top 4 defenseman and have Franson on the roster ,but won't play him in that role because while he has the tools, he lacks the toolbox.

The isles also need a quality, top 4 defenseman. Please quit trying to sell Franson as a quality, top 4. You lose credibility.
Franson is a horrible defenceman. He single-handedly lost us games down the stretch.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:14 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Internet credibility?

Relax, I'm not saying Franson has been stellar, or even good as of late. He's probably been one of the biggest disappointments since last season.

What I am saying is that he does have the ability to play in a top 4, he's done it before. He definitely needs a partner to rely on though, and a coach with a proper plan.

Also, as I clearly stated, I'm not even trying to push him on the Islanders, just saying that he isn't as bad as some will say.

Old
06-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Franson is fair return for Bailey, which is not to say I would do it. Two struggling young players coming off disappointing seasons.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Franson for Bailey is fair imo.

I'd do it. Fan of Bailey

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:20 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Internet credibility?

Relax, I'm not saying Franson has been stellar, or even good as of late. He's probably been one of the biggest disappointments since last season.

What I am saying is that he does have the ability to play in a top 4, he's done it before. He definitely needs a partner to rely on though, and a coach with a proper plan.

Also, as I clearly stated, I'm not even trying to push him on the Islanders, just saying that he isn't as bad as some will say.
Then hope the Leafs keep him and pair him with a partner he can rely on. I want Snow to find a trade partner, bring in a quality, top 4 defenseman and that's not Franson.

Old
06-24-2014, 02:21 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Franson for Bailey is fair imo.

I'd do it. Fan of Bailey
I wouldn't do it.

While I am not a big Bailey fan, I am even less impressed with Franson.

Old
06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Then hope the Leafs keep him and pair him with a partner he can rely on. I want Snow to find a trade partner, bring in a quality, top 4 defenseman and that's not Franson.
Which is exactly what I said in my first post. I think he's a guy worth keeping. Only thing is, I don't know that Carlyle and the rest of management would feel the same way, especially considering the fact that Rielly, Gardiner, and Phaneuf all exist in the same system. They can't all thrive, so something has to give.

He may not be what NYI needs, but if he leaves the Leafs, he will find a setup conducive to his success.

Old
06-24-2014, 02:30 PM
dspbathroom

Bailey shows flashes of very good play, but there is literally NO REASON for Snow to trade him right now while Bailey's leaguewide value is low.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 02:30 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I agree that Bailey has little trade value and what you discuss here would be fair return.

Why move him then?
Agreed. If the return is a draft pick that has a low % of ever making the NHL, what's the point?

That said, perhaps Bailey could be an addition to a core piece in a trade, e.g. 5th overall + Bailey etc.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote