HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs Prospect Camp : Report

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Pappy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEY_GURU
Very true, no one saying that equates to NHL success, but people can guage those players to others that have played in the AHL etc, and also gauge the talent level that they display and have some idea that they can play at the NHl level or not.

All I'm pointing out is that ECHL talent is a long way from AHL talent and that to the NHL level is even more of a challenge. I would suspect that we have few players at the junior age level, Pogge and perhaps Steber? much less than the other teams.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Toronto out-shot Carolina 51-21

Old
09-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Check out the picks from Rookie Tournament of our guys..

http://www.ottawasun.com/PhotoGalleries/Senscamp/2005/09/07/1205769.html

Old
09-08-2005, 09:44 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Although it would have been nice to see Vorobiev in this rookie camp, I guess we'll have to be satisfied with the report of his play with the Russian National Team on the main page.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Although it would have been nice to see Vorobiev in this rookie camp, I guess we'll have to be satisfied with the report of his play with the Russian National Team on the main page.
RUSSIANPROSPECTS.COM:

Vorobiev made a smooth transition from Russia's U20 to Russia's senior national team. While he is not a sure thing for the World Championships, the young defenseman proved he was capable of handling the game at the senior international level, already proving last season he could do so at the Russian Super League level. Vorobiev played reliably in his own end of the ice, but showed little of the offensive upside he was known for at the U20 WJC, again, likely due to the coaching instructions.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for the reports on Luke Fulghum. Nice to see him having a good camp thus far. He was awesome at DU.

Also, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could also pass along some reports on Mike Knoepfli as well. Thanks in advance.

Old
09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Imbudsfan

Leafs... 3
Habs....2

Old
09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Final?

Do we know who scored?

Old
09-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Imbudsfan

Sorry just caught the Tail end of the report on The Score

Old
09-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

So we're 3-0?

I hope Kronwall and Steen both had great games again. The more I hear about those two playing well, the more excited I get.

Old
09-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Dominic Noel scored twice for the Leafs I think, don't know about the other goal.

Latendresse and Tardif scored for the Habs.

Old
09-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Imbudsfan

Noel...2 goals
Fulghum...1 goal

Old
09-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
So we're 3-0?

I hope Kronwall and Steen both had great games again. The more I hear about those two playing well, the more excited I get.
Leafs beating the Habs and Sens at any level really shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone really

I know our "Making the Cut" boy Domonic Noel scored a pair of goals for us ..

On Leafs lunch Pensacola coach (Leafs ECHL affiliate) spoke about Noel and spoke very highly of him in this camp .. Noel showed good speed and strength ..

He said Steen was the best Leaf with Kronwall close behind .. He then joked that he was hoping to convince Leaf management to send Staffan to the ECHL to him this year, but based on his play looks like he is headed to Leafs big camp instead so the chance of that happen was less then none ..

Old
09-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbudsfan
Noel...2 goals
Fulghum...1 goal
Boy, that last goal by Noel was a beauty. He really gave it to the goalie

Old
09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
BORAT

In all friendship !

The Leafs Scouts are saying that they are skating a much older team than the other prospect groups...

interresting though, once thing I did notice tonight was that the leafs ain prospects ( the ones that are expected to do grand things didn't flash as much ) ,

as all the Habs highly toutes prospcts like Latendresse, Chipchura, Price, Mikus, showed very very interresting progress curves since last game.

The 2 leaf goals were scored on Giveaways by Defensive prospects the habs are trying to get an opinion on....

I should add : Undrafted and Late Round Prospects :

So congrats on the win, but I hope the Leafs have the Men/boy filter on for this because if not

We'll have to bring Jacko in to find out who the Children are

Old
09-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habacookie
In all friendship !

The Leafs Scouts are saying that they are skating a much older team than the other prospect groups...

interresting though, once thing I did notice tonight was that the leafs ain prospects ( the ones that are expected to do grand things didn't flash as much ) ,

as all the Habs highly toutes prospcts like Latendresse, Chipchura, Price, Mikus, showed very very interresting progress curves since last game.

The 2 leaf goals were scored on Giveaways by Defensive prospects the habs are trying to get an opinion on....

So congrats on the win, but I hope the Leafs have the Men/boy filter on for this because if not

Thank you for the update and excuses ..

Old
09-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habacookie
In all friendship !

Friendship, eh?

Old
09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Thank you for the update and excuses ..
Latendresse looked good tonight... showed his shot often enough including a goal where he absolutely roofed it from the right circle. Demonstrated his hitting ability with a massive bodycheck sending a kid horizontal into the boards. Was skating very well and was consistently a threat.
Wasn't as impressed with Chipchura tonight as I was yesterday.

I think Steen is a fantastic hockey player who always makes a smart play, odd rookie mistake notwithstanding. Is not very shy of traffic and using the body to make a play. Plays on a different level than most players on the ice simply because of his hockey sense. Great all around player so far.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
blah blah blah ....

I think Steen is a fantastic hockey player who always makes a smart play, odd rookie mistake notwithstanding. Is not very shy of traffic and using the body to make a play. Plays on a different level than most players on the ice simply because of his hockey sense. Great all around player so far.
The part about young Steen sounds promising ..

Strange though about the first paragraph, our Leafs board Hab filter must be turned off or not functioning properly .. What you posted about hab prospects should have come out as blah blah blah .... so I am not sure what happened there. I have manually edited in the mean time until the problem is resolved..

Old
09-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
The part about young Steen sounds promising ..

Strange though about the first paragraph, our Leafs board Hab filter must be turned off or not functioning properly .. What you posted about hab prospects should have come out as blah blah blah .... so I am not sure what happened there. I have manually edited in the mean time until the problem is resolved..
Which is saying that you hear what you want to hear. Wait until the regular season starts. You will be tuning out quite a lot of unpleasant news. But who am I to disabuse you of the notion that the Leafs will win the Cup?

Old
09-09-2005, 12:26 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I saw the hilights on sportsent, Noel scored two failry decent goals, the turnover goal was pretty sweet, he should be at the least a decent player for the Marlies this season, if he gets a contract.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Chet-Nick

Excuses? Interesting. I notice that NINE players, on this "rookie" Maple Leafs squad, that are at least 22 years of age or older. Including your "Making the Cut" candidate, Domenic Noel. FIVE of these aforementioned players were born in 1980. What gives? Is there not enough youth in Toronto's system to send to these tournaments?

Flip the coin, and you'll discover NINE of the players, on Montreal's roster, (Price, Lacasse, Bisaillon, Dulac-Lemelin, Chipchura, D'Agostini, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Mikus) are still of junior age. Actually, ELEVEN. But, Aubin and Stewart are out with injuries. The "old guy" on the Habs, is their "Making the Cut" participant, defenseman Kevin Lavalle. He turns 24 in December.

Organizers of such tournaments, in this case the Senators, should implement more stringent rules. It's not about winning or losing. You can't have grown men playing against kids that are still suffering from acne. If a team can't find 23-24 reasonably aged players for a tournament that has a rookie theme to it. Then, they really shouldn't be there.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick
Excuses? Interesting. I notice that NINE players, on this "rookie" Maple Leafs squad, that are at least 22 years of age or older. Including your "Making the Cut" candidate, Domenic Noel. FIVE of these aforementioned players were born in 1980. What gives? Is there not enough youth in Toronto's system to send to these tournaments?

Flip the coin, and you'll discover NINE of the players, on Montreal's roster, (Price, Lacasse, Bisaillon, Dulac-Lemelin, Chipchura, D'Agostini, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Mikus) are still of junior age. Actually, ELEVEN. But, Aubin and Stewart are out with injuries. The "old guy" on the Habs, is their "Making the Cut" participant, defenseman Kevin Lavalle. He turns 24 in December.

Organizers of such tournaments, in this case the Senators, should implement more stringent rules. It's not about winning or losing. You can't have grown men playing against kids that are still suffering from acne. If a team can't find 23-24 reasonably aged players for a tournament that has a rookie theme to it. Then, they really shouldn't be there.
Dont ask me why but your post just cracked me up. Im not sure in a good way or a bad way. Maybe because you sound like one of the player's mommy.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:59 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I've liked what I've heard about Kronwall, and if he earns a spot on the team, then I would be happy to see Aki go for a draft pick, like a 4th rounder. We need to start stockpilling picks, although second rounders would be better .

Old
09-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Chet-Nick

It's all about comparing apples to apples and safety. Some of these guys, on the Habs, aren't even old enough to order an alcoholic drink. Yet, Toronto has FIVE players born in 1980. Which brings me back to my original question, "Is there not enough youth in Toronto's system to send to these tournaments?"

Closed Thread