HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2014, 02:53 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XV

Continue.

Old
06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
go comets

vCash: 500
Will miss pascal, but that's the ahl. Glad he's getting a chance elsewhere and making some money for his future, as well as getting to experience another culture. The comets will move on will a chance for others to shine!! So excited for next season!!!!!!!!

Old
06-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Continue.
Hey, pretty cool! Not even one year in existence yet and already 14,000+ posts on the Utica Comets thread. I'm impressed at the level of interest in both Utica and Vancouver.

In another thought, just a few short posts ago everyone was giddy about how great a season the Comets had coming up what with all the returning talent and the incoming youngsters. Suggested rosters being posted with many of last year's team members missing because of the upgrade in the talent pool.

Now Pascal has left to the KHL and Hunter is suggested as bait in a trade with Florida for a draft pick who will be too young to appear in Utica. The giddy mood now has a cloud of reality settling in.

An AHL roster is never set until the big club settles its off season business and breaks training camp. Then the farm team gets what's left and has to fill in the pieces with AHL free agent talent still left on the market. The AHL team always has the option to lock up their choice of these guys at any time, like O'Reilly and Huskins who are not under contract to any NHL franchise at the time. Unfortunately guys like this (as Pascal did) are looking for their best options at this time and are reluctant to sign on with their current team if better options may become available.

The pins and needles we sit on as fans hoping our parent club is thinking of us in their dealings will remain in our backsides for a few more months. A few of these instruments of minor pain are injected by the workings or lack thereof of our own ownership and management.

The fan base is not privy to the workings of either of these groups. So we idiotically sit and speculate great things or bad things depending which side of optimism we sit on. Pretty foolish when you think about it. Our best line of thinking should be to be patient and wait and see. Then we can share our thoughts on what actually comes to be as all the pieces fall into place.

By the way, it's neat to be putting up the first post on the new page (that is if someone else doesn't get there while I'm laboriously pecking this out.) LOL Enjoy interacting with all of you. THANX!

See!!! I'm only #2.

Old
06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by go comets View Post
Will miss pascal, but that's the ahl. Glad he's getting a chance elsewhere and making some money for his future, as well as getting to experience another culture. The comets will move on will a chance for others to shine!! So excited for next season!!!!!!!!
Read my last lines in post #2w you bum! HaHaHa!!

Old
06-25-2014, 07:54 PM
go comets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
Read my last lines in post #2w you bum! HaHaHa!!
ha!!!!! 2 minutes too late!!!!!!! maybe next time!!!!!!!

Old
06-26-2014, 04:28 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

I also hope they find a way to keep Welsh in the system for cheap; he looked decent in his call-up IMO and I think he would be a good 3C to have playing at the AHL level. Can play any forward position which is also useful.

Old
06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
DCantheDDad
DisplacedNuckfan

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I also hope they find a way to keep Welsh in the system for cheap; he looked decent in his call-up IMO and I think he would be a good 3C to have playing at the AHL level. Can play any forward position which is also useful.
I agree. He is a useful utility player who wont be a liability in the AHl and can do spot duty on the big club. Worth keeping IMO.

Old
06-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Craz1bo1

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 23s

Pitt coach Mike Johnston told the Portland Tribune : "I'm looking to maybe bring Travis Green in here as an assistant," #Canucks #Utica

Old
06-26-2014, 11:10 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craz1bo1 View Post

Pitt coach Mike Johnston told the Portland Tribune : "I'm looking to maybe bring Travis Green in here as an assistant," #Canucks #Utica
Tampering!!!!! Draft picks plz.

Old
06-26-2014, 02:49 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:

Nooooooo.

Old
06-26-2014, 05:24 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

You son of a...

Old
06-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:

Would suck if that happens.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Bitz and Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Would suck if that happens.
Yeah,we need a quality coach in Utica to bring along our propects properly and it sounds like Travis Green was doing a really good job of that.I think he's much more valuable to the organization as the head coach of our AHL team than as a 3rd assistant coach in the NHL,especially with the amount of youth we have joining the Comets in the next few years.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:29 PM
NuxFan09

Too bad the Comets lost Pelletier. He was one of the core players for the Comets last season.

Hopefully the Comets retain O'Reilly, who can easily take Pelletier's spot. He's got the offensive ability to be a very good 1st line centre at that level.

Old
06-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Too bad the Comets lost Pelletier. He was one of the core players for the Comets last season.

Hopefully the Comets retain O'Reilly, who can easily take Pelletier's spot. He's got the offensive ability to be a very good 1st line centre at that level.
All true. One problem, O'reilly gives up too many open shots in favor of dishing it to someone else. He's too unselfish. Pascal wanted to score. O'reilly will have to be set up with a sniper or two (Jensen/Shink) and his line will be deadly.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
All true. One problem, O'reilly gives up too many open shots in favor of dishing it to someone else. He's too unselfish. Pascal wanted to score. O'reilly will have to be set up with a sniper or two (Jensen/Shink) and his line will be deadly.
Fox seems like a good match. Deadly shot and a finisher. Shinkaruk too but he can also create his own offense.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:47 PM
BerSTUzzi

I'm interested to see how Zalewski does. The kid just had something about him when he played last year.

Comets are going to be fun to watch especially if Fox, Gaunce and Shinkaruk rip it up.

Old
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Brendan Burke ‏@brendanmburke 35s
The @VanCanucks have granted permission to #Comets head coach Travis Green to talk with @penguins about joining them as an assistant coach.
This is tough to swallow but good on the Canucks for not making things difficult for Green. He did such a good job with the Comets int heir inaugural season that he deserves a shot in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
This is tough to swallow but good on the Canucks for not making things difficult for Green. He did such a good job with the Comets int heir inaugural season that he deserves a shot in the NHL.
Certainly does but this will be a huge setback. Arniel and Noel were not good for our prospects at all. MacT was pretty good. Green was excellent. Hopefully they can find somebody similar to replace him.

You could see that guys were getting clear, consistent direction with MacT and Green. Not so much so with Arniel and Noel. The former ones put prospects in positions where they could succeed and had patience. The latter ones didn't.

Old
06-30-2014, 12:44 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Well. This sucks.

Green would be wise to slow down his career trajectory. He has what 4 years behind a bench on his resume?

1.5 as the head coach.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Bad News Benning
no news is good news

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Bad News Benning
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Well. This sucks.

Green would be wise to slow down his career trajectory. He has what 4 years behind a bench on his resume?

1.5 as the head coach.
I think being an AHL head coach definitely looks better on your resume given he doesn't have much head coaching experience.

Odds are he won't become an NHL head coach without more years of head coach experience under his belt. If he takes the pens job he won't be any further ahead as in a few years the only head coaching jobs he will receive is in the AHL or CHL. If he spends a few more years in Utica he will be more qualified to be an NHL head coach.

3-4 years as AHL head coach
NHL Head coach

seems a better route than

1 year AHL head coach
3 or 4 years as nhl assistant coach (keep in mind he would be their 3rd assistant)
CHL or AHL head coach for who knows how long.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:01 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

And the carousel on the farm potentially continues... that's already 4 straight years with 4 different coaches now. Geez.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Jimson Hogarth*

vCash: 395
Pretty wishy washy quote from Johnston "im looking to maybe bring in",...is it confirmed that Green is gone to Pittsburgh?

Old
06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Pretty wishy washy quote from Johnston "im looking to maybe bring in",...is it confirmed that Green is gone to Pittsburgh?
He's going to interview with his former boss. They worked well together at one time. I think the chances are high he gets hired.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Certainly does but this will be a huge setback. Arniel and Noel were not good for our prospects at all. MacT was pretty good. Green was excellent. Hopefully they can find somebody similar to replace him.

You could see that guys were getting clear, consistent direction with MacT and Green. Not so much so with Arniel and Noel. The former ones put prospects in positions where they could succeed and had patience. The latter ones didn't.
I'd assume the position will be offered to Gulitzan pretty much straight away. Whether he'll accept is another story ... but it would be closer to the NHL and another head coaching position than coaching the Giants.

As for Green's work with prospects ... I don't think he was terrible but outside of a fringe prospect in Grenier I don't see anyone else down there who really improved their stock last year or had a great season.

Closed Thread