HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
As for Green's work with prospects ... I don't think he was terrible but outside of a fringe prospect in Grenier I don't see anyone else down there who really improved their stock last year or had a great season.
Friesen really came along under Green. Jensen did too. He was crucial in getting both of them playing well after initial struggles. Friesen especially as he went PPG over his last 20 games while playing 200ft hockey

But more so it's about just them having a role and getting a consistent message. I felt like both Arniel and Noel were very inconsistent with the prospects. Guys got moved around into all kinds of different roles, sometimes ones they weren't suited for. Sometimes they were expected to carry the puck in all the time and other times dump it in all the time. No consistency.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:42 PM
canucks52

gully would be a good choice if Willie doesn't retain him, wasn't it reported he might move back to the AHL and coach the stars? if he truly wants to leave would like to see him end up in Utica. Kassian spoke highly of him and would like to see what he could do with the other young guys as these will be crucial years with so many of our prospects down there.

Old
06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
MS

Actually, as Gulitzan is under contract to the organization still, would he even have a choice if we wanted to send him to Utica?

Old
06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Actually, as Gulitzan is under contract to the organization still, would he even have a choice if we wanted to send him to Utica?
His contract probably specifies what type of role he's employed in.

Old
06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And would you want the guy coaching your farm team if you had to force him to do it?

Old
06-30-2014, 06:50 PM
6768clintoncomets575

I wasn't a TG fan at first but I believe he got more out of the talent given to him than anybody. He should have been AHL coach of the year. After the Comets 0-8-2 start, NOBODY wanted to play this team. The team was severely offensively challenged and for the team to finish with the record it did was a testament to his and his staffs coaching and teaching.

Don't think this is a good career move, though.

Hope he stays. If not, good luck and thank you for the year in Utica.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Darren Archibald, Brandon DeFazio, Joe Cannata and Peter Andersson all received qualifying offers from the Canucks today. Barring any overseas signings, all four should be with Utica next year.

Yann Sauve was not tendered an offer, so his time with the organization is at its end, it appears.

06-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Jimson Hogarth

Ho ho! No more Sauve might just be the best gift to Utica the Canucks will make his entire year!

Old
06-30-2014, 07:03 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 11517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Darren Archibald, Brandon DeFazio, Joe Cannata and Peter Andersson all received qualifying offers from the Canucks today. Barring any overseas signings, all four should be with Utica next year.

Yann Sauve was not tendered an offer, so his time with the organization is at its end, it appears.
happy with all QOs.....and good riddance YS is finally gone...yeesh!

Old
06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
Hey, pretty cool! Not even one year in existence yet and already 14,000+ posts on the Utica Comets thread. I'm impressed at the level of interest in both Utica and Vancouver.
i think a lot of us are realizing that utica will be both more exciting and better run than the main club this year

edit: im gonna be really jealous of pittsburgh's coaching staff, huh

Old
06-30-2014, 08:08 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Nice to see this.

Old
06-30-2014, 08:15 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Nice to see this.
Happy with Cannata but now have some questions. hypothetical of course but...

If the Canucks bring in a veteran goalie naturally Markstrom will be sent to Utica. If he makes it through waivers (I don't think he will but let's say he does) I assume he'll split duties with Eriksson. What happens to J Cannata?

Last edited by jammyrft: 06-30-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old
06-30-2014, 08:20 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yeah, that would make sense.

If Green goes, Gulitzan is still who'd I'd expect to see in Utica, though. Pretty natural fit.

Old
06-30-2014, 08:20 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

If the Canucks bring in a veteran goalie naturally Markstrom will be sent to Utica. If he makes it through waivers (I don't think he will but let's say he does) I assume he'll split duties with Ericsson. What happens to J Cannata?
ECHL then released at the end of the year. He's a pretty marginal prospect who's at the mercy of what happens above him in the system.

Old
06-30-2014, 08:22 PM
roach9

Quote:
Would certainly constitute as constructive dismissal.

Old
06-30-2014, 08:52 PM
valkyrie42ca

Quote:
ECHL then released at the end of the year. He's a pretty marginal prospect who's at the mercy of what happens above him in the system.
At least he got some NHL playoff time in, even if it was on the bench a year ago.

Old
07-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

If the Canucks bring in a veteran goalie naturally Markstrom will be sent to Utica. If he makes it through waivers (I don't think he will but let's say he does) I assume he'll split duties with Eriksson. What happens to J Cannata?
They signed Ryan Miller for 3 years at $18 mil. My guess is Lack gets 1/3 or less of the starts unless Miller stinks it up. Nobody pays that kind of money for a backup.

Markstrom has a one way contract and would have to clear waivers to go to Utica. That would mean Vancouver would likely lose him for nothing. If he did clear waivers would the Canucks really want to invest anything more in this guy especially considering the rest of the league found him unappetizing. Sweden didn't take him during the Worlds this past season either.

My guess is Eriksson, who was selected by Sweden, is the less expensive and more likely to be the man they build for the future when Miller is done. If Lack has any problems or an injury occurs, Jokie becomes the backup. I look for Markstrom to be involved as an extra in a trade over the summer.

The other likelihood is Markstrom clears, is demoted to Utica, battles it out with Jokie for the #1 job, and Cannata becomes the odd man out and is sent to the Zoo. Would be unfortunate for Joe as he did really REALLY well in the second half of last season with the Comets.

Old
07-01-2014, 04:30 PM
6768clintoncomets575

Any word out there in Vancouver about the Travis Greene interview with Pittsburgh?

Old
07-01-2014, 05:16 PM
thepoeticgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
They signed Ryan Miller for 3 years at $18 mil. My guess is Lack gets 1/3 or less of the starts unless Miller stinks it up. Nobody pays that kind of money for a backup.

Markstrom has a one way contract and would have to clear waivers to go to Utica. That would mean Vancouver would likely lose him for nothing. If he did clear waivers would the Canucks really want to invest anything more in this guy especially considering the rest of the league found him unappetizing. Sweden didn't take him during the Worlds this past season either.

My guess is Eriksson, who was selected by Sweden, is the less expensive and more likely to be the man they build for the future when Miller is done. If Lack has any problems or an injury occurs, Jokie becomes the backup. I look for Markstrom to be involved as an extra in a trade over the summer.

The other likelihood is Markstrom clears, is demoted to Utica, battles it out with Jokie for the #1 job, and Cannata becomes the odd man out and is sent to the Zoo. Would be unfortunate for Joe as he did really REALLY well in the second half of last season with the Comets.
Markstrom is better than Eriksson, come on now. He's been better in SHL, the AHL and for the national team. I don't know the logic behind taking Joacim this last WC but he played all of 1 game -he was Anders Nilsson's backup - whilst Markstrom won gold 2013 as Enroth's (had the tournament of his lifetime) backup. The difference? Jacob played 4 games and was forced into action for a couple of minutes in OT against Canada in the semis for a combined # of 5 games participated. He posted better stats than JE too. Which he also did in the AHL this year, which is by far Markstrom's roughest season in his career.

Old
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
star king3

Can you still demote players to other AHL teams? Perhaps Markstrom gets demoted to San Antonio? Or Cannata gets shuffled around or something, so that we can have 3 goalies playing somewhat meaningfully in the AHL

Old
07-01-2014, 08:00 PM
canucks52

botch reporting that Green will remain in Utica as head coach

Also don't think Markstrom gets through waivers if he is waived

Old
07-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Heads up: We just signed Bob Sanguinetti at 600k. Probably a Utica signing from the parent club.

Old
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Alex Biega is signed 600k.

Old
07-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Jimson Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
Alex Biega is signed 600k.
yup

via twitter:

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 4m
#canucks signed Alex Biega: 1 year / $600 000.00
Stack dat Comets

Old
07-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks52 View Post
botch reporting that Green will remain in Utica as head coach

Also don't think Markstrom gets through waivers if he is waived
Do we have to waive him for him to start the season in Utica?