HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
  #76
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Jokes aside though, I'd expect us to find a way to get back into the first either this year or next.
Why? Sather's never traded into the 1st as Rangers' GM.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:22 PM
  #77
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 500
Congrats to Cally! Wish him all the best, except when he plays us. Still my favorite player of the last 15 years, aside from Hank.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:28 PM
  #78
frisland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Why? Sather's never traded into the 1st as Rangers' GM.
I find it more likely he says "We have two 2nds?, lets trade one at the deadline for a rental."

frisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:44 PM
  #79
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisland View Post
I find it more likely he says "We have two 2nds?, lets trade one at the deadline for a rental."
Or both

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
  #80
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
I think the most tragic thing about this is we'll never get to see BuffSabre24 as a member of HFBoards :/

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:34 PM
  #81
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,384
vCash: 500
As much as I feel dealing Callahan was the right move I will really miss the player and the person. Congrats and all the best.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:40 PM
  #82
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think the most tragic thing about this is we'll never get to see BuffSabre24 as a member of HFBoards :/
I wonder when he will take Rangers out of his favorite teams list.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
  #83
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
or we use that 2nd rounder for a deadline rental! u know sathers gonna do it!
no deadline rental w/valued pick.

Need to build.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
  #84
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
As much as I feel dealing Callahan was the right move I will really miss the player and the person. Congrats and all the best.
I respect Callahan's heart/toughness and PK ability but im glad the rangers didnt make that deal that tampa just did. I am happy we got a 2nd rounder out of it

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 05:27 PM
  #85
SeventySeven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
When we traded Mark Messier, our captain, we got the 127th overall pick in 2004 which we used to draft our latest captain, Ryan Callahan. This 2nd round pick we will use to draft a future captain once again
or to trade to Colorado for our future captain, RYAN O'REILLY.



(kidding. I think it's pretty clear that McDonagh will be named captain before the season starts)

SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 05:28 PM
  #86
SeventySeven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
no deadline rental w/valued pick.

Need to build.
Need to win.

SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
  #87
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
or to trade to Colorado for our future captain, RYAN O'REILLY.



(kidding. I think it's pretty clear that McDonagh will be named captain before the season starts)
ROR will never be a captain. He's a selfish ******.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 06:26 PM
  #88
Lundquest
Registered User
 
Lundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 829
vCash: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
ROR will never be a captain. He's a selfish ******.
Yeah I would never see that happening on any team

Lundquest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 07:58 PM
  #89
storm fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.
He didn't want 7 he would take 6 for 6 but wanted a no trade clause

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 08:38 PM
  #90
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.
I really wonder about that. The way I read the NTC was a late demand form Cally's camp and when Sather heard that he said enough and pulled the trigger on the MSL deal.

I've suspected that Cally saw his role and the team changing and wanted out.....but what the heck do I know. He'll keep more of his money in Florida and it's a nice warm place for a family used to upstate New York.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 09:43 PM
  #91
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Why? Sather's never traded into the 1st as Rangers' GM.
The purge of 2004.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:14 PM
  #92
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,208
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Considering we don't have a first until the end of time, we need all the picks we can get.
Which will be first: A 1st round pick or a Stanley Cup win?

__________________
There are two types of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data;
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:15 PM
  #93
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Callahan’s signing with the Lightning completes the deadline swap of captains with Tampa Bay. The winger signed with the Lightning for less than his camp ever demanded from the Rangers (the start price was seven years at approximately $6.75 million per year that belatedly was reduced to six years at $6 million per year after it had become too late), though the absence of state tax in Florida at least balances that scale.
http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers...man-dan-boyle/

The whole Callahan situation was weird. He was on Michael Kay's show today. Callahan didn't even go through the free agent process. Meet with other teams. Bartlett was talking tough. Last night,his son tweets the Lightning and their client had a good productive day of talks. Callahan's demands were so high and then he settles without even testing the free agent market.

Quote:
Of course, Callahan has a measure of control over negotiations with the Rangers, which have progressed no further since the second week of February. Girardi is in a similar predicament. Reports have Callahan seeking a seven-year extension for just shy of $7 million per season, both higher numbers than GM Glen Sather would prefer. Girardi is asking for closer to six years in the $5 million-plus range.

Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, told the Daily News on Tuesday morning that in his opinion, the captain’s asking price — which Bartlett would not confirm — is a “discount” from what he believes Callahan would command on the open market if he hit free agency on July 1.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz35iArDNfk

Weird

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:41 PM
  #94
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, told the Daily News on Tuesday morning that in his opinion, the captain’s asking price — which Bartlett would not confirm — is a “discount” from what he believes Callahan would command in a fantasy world.
Sounds about right.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:44 PM
  #95
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers...man-dan-boyle/

The whole Callahan situation was weird. He was on Michael Kay's show today. Callahan didn't even go through the free agent process. Meet with other teams. Bartlett was talking tough. Last night,his son tweets the Lightning and their client had a good productive day of talks. Callahan's demands were so high and then he settles without even testing the free agent market.



Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz35iArDNfk

Weird
i dont know how weird it is. to me it plays out like this.

cally thinks hes worth a ton.
rangers offer him a ridiculous contract, cally turns it down.
rangers threaten to trade him
cally calls their bluff
rangers trade him
cally negotiates with tampa, cant believe hes not getting 7x7
accepts hes not as good as he thought
cally accepts reasonable contract to stay with team that should be good for the forseeable future.

cally got a big time reality check when he got traded.

didnt the rangers even tell his agent to ask anyone if they would trade for him with free negotiating rights to him before the trade deadline and nobody would pull the trigger?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 11:03 PM
  #96
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Keep in mind you pay income tax in the state where you physically earn the money. So income from the road games abide by local tax law.
That's not what I know to be true, I believe you pay state taxes in your state of residence only

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 11:55 PM
  #97
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That's not what I know to be true, I believe you pay state taxes in your state of residence only
Not true - you do pay income tax on that portion of money earned in a state. There are 9 states with no income tax, though I believe only two have NHL teams. You do pay at the applicable rate, which is of course highest in California (even worse than New York).

This can be a complicated issue - if the amounts are small, it may not be worth it for a state tax agency to go after you. And there is the question of what to do with Internet businesses, etc. But for a prominent athlete in a top tax bracket, they will undoubtedly pay, though I seriously doubt any of them use TurboTax.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 12:18 AM
  #98
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers...man-dan-boyle/

The whole Callahan situation was weird. He was on Michael Kay's show today. Callahan didn't even go through the free agent process. Meet with other teams. Bartlett was talking tough. Last night,his son tweets the Lightning and their client had a good productive day of talks. Callahan's demands were so high and then he settles without even testing the free agent market.



Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz35iArDNfk

Weird
Right. Which makes me think he wanted out of New York for what ever reason: coach, chemistry in the room??

But there is a sub text here I'm thinking.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 12:21 AM
  #99
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i dont know how weird it is. to me it plays out like this.

cally thinks hes worth a ton.
rangers offer him a ridiculous contract, cally turns it down.
rangers threaten to trade him
cally calls their bluff
rangers trade him
cally negotiates with tampa, cant believe hes not getting 7x7
accepts hes not as good as he thought
cally accepts reasonable contract to stay with team that should be good for the forseeable future.

cally got a big time reality check when he got traded.

didnt the rangers even tell his agent to ask anyone if they would trade for him with free negotiating rights to him before the trade deadline and nobody would pull the trigger?
Again, I believe I read it more than once. His agent asked for a NTC after the Rangers had come up in their number. Sather heard that and said enough is enough. Pulls the trigger.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 12:30 AM
  #100
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think the most tragic thing about this is we'll never get to see BuffSabre24 as a member of HFBoards :/
That was what upset me the most. Really wanted to see that dude flip flop again after professing love for the Bolts.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.