HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs are a contender for next season as of today. Agree or disagree?

View Poll Results: Habs are a contender for next season as of today.
Agree 20 22.73%
Disagree 68 77.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
If they play like they did this past year they have a better than 50/50 chance of missing the playoffs entirely imo. I don't think they will, but something about getting routinely outplayed doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Last edited by habsfanatics: 06-26-2014 at 04:56 PM.
habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree we have a better roster than that but our coach is seriously holding us back. That has to be factored into the equation. Last season we shouldn't have made the playoffs based on team play. Goaltending is the only reason we got there. This team is more talented than its shown.

I think with Beaulieu in the lineup our D will be vastly improved this season. I think it will be much, much better than last year and that's a huge plus. We definitely need help on the wings though.
100% agree on the quality of the team, which is why I can't believe any legit analysis could see us bubbling at the edge of the playoffs.

As to Therrien, this third season will be the tie-breaker -- are we the fast-transition/skating/offensive team from 2013, or the defensive/grinding/opportunistic team from 2014? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that some of 2014's bizarre line-changes were due to under-performing players, but for 2015 I expect to see more stabile lines and a focus on improving our scary-bad 5-on-5 scoring. Of course, that depends on having the horses who can score.

But credit where it's due: This is the same team that looked like horse**** around New Years but pulled themselves out of their funk and finished strong. That's the kind of character that wins in the playoffs.

Potential Losses for next season: Gionta's two-way smarts and leadership / Markov needing reduced ice time / Vanek's production

Potential Gains: A bigger, more-mobile D with Beaulieu and Tinordi / Galchenyuk developing further / Eller gaining (actually re-gaining) confidence / Andrighetto getting a sniff at the NHL

Overall I see no reason to be pessimistic, barring an injury plague.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
It's reality not gloom and doom. With the salary cap there are so many teams that could finish 3rd to 12th....insult me all you want.
Are depth on the 3rd and 4th lines have really improved since MB has taken over. We still need elite talent on our top 6. If we have any key injures like we did in 2012 our depth with top 6 forwards and top d-man is not there yet.
MB keeps adding pieces and he will be the first to tell you that next season we are in for a battle....did you not listen to his end of the season speech???
MB quote "We're a good young team, but we're not a 'guaranteed playoff' team yet."

So I guess MB speaks nonsense and must be a leaf fan
'Reality' is what Montreal has accomplished the past two seasons. Finishing among the top teams in 2013 and 2014 is no fluke. Yeah, I get that we're all nervous, hypersensitive fans, worried that the sky is always falling, but that's 'Fear', not reality. Could we get hit with a ton of injuries? Sure, like any team. But factoring that into any evaluation right now makes no sense.

We're ahead of the pack with our cap space, we're ahead of the pack with our talent and upcoming prospects, and we're ahead of the pack with a roster of proven players, who are almost entirely entering or in their prime.

Guarantees? There are none, which is why Bergevin said what he did. It's always a battle. But at least we have a team that's already fought and won a few.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
if we come into the season rolling Subban-Markov-Gorges-Beaulieu-Tinordi-Pateryn then we're not contenders. I'm confident Bergevin will address the issues however, just ask the question again in a few days.
Perhaps MB could go out and acquire an Alexei Emelin to help out!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
PuckSeparator

As of right now: Not even close. The past season was a success in large parts thanks to Bergevin's money deadline acquisitions with Weaver,Weise being clutch in the POs and Vanek having a decent end to the regular season with us as well as Price playing lights out in the POs. You have to wait and see the progression of Beaulieu, Tinner as well as see how the offense rounds up before being able to make an educated guess, but at this very moment in time I'd say we're gearing for a 1st to second round exit as we have too many holes in the team (i.e; not enough offensive difference makers and some pretty gaping holes in defense, namely SPEED).

PuckSeparator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Habskrieg

No we aren't. We need to build a better top 6. Vanek helped a lot in the regular season and showed us what we were really missing. We need to improve those top 2 lines.

We also need to make replace our aging defenseman that most won't seem to be signed.

I think we're good. But we're missing a few pieces still.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Miller Time

Depends how one defines "contender".

We are not one of the top 5-7 teams, clearly...

But we're probably in the mix with the next ~10 teams who could go deep if all goes well.

Not a "contender" IMO... Contenders are favorites, teams who should be expected to reach conference finals/finals. Anything less being a disappointment.

We have zero scoring depth on the wings, lack of size/grit throughout lineup, and serious holes on defense...
Not a contender, and if the season started tomorrow (no ufa additions), we'd be 1 injury away from playoff bubble status.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:02 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
I think we match up well against the bruins.

And, there's the thing. Sometimes the better team doesn't always win. So, by that logic the Habs can win any playoff series even if the competition is "the better team"
Of course. Anything is possible. Can the Habs beat Chicago/LA/Anaheim, SJ in the finals? Yes. Is it likely? No.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:04 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Too many holes, too many aging vets that could be replace, too small, so I disagree.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:07 AM
Forlando

They will be the same thing they were this year: a bubble team, that is hard to beat when they play hard, but with limited talent and developing players. Let's be patient, we are doing it right.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:08 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think these kind of gloomy predictions are ridiculous -- the kind of anti-Montreal nonsense we hear from Leafs fans. Habs may not be among the elite, but they're beyond having to prove themselves as a playoff team. They're in the top-10 in the league, which is where they've finished the last two seasons. Not quite a contender, but better than a bubble team.
What the hell is gloomy about what I wrote? A lot of things went right last year. The team was healthy for the most part and was still fighting for a playoff spot up until they got Vanek. Vanek's production will need to be replaced. Or do you think Bourque will take his place? You call it gloomy (I don't even understand how that's gloomy)...I call it realistic.

Are the Rangers a contender? I don't think so. A lot of things will have to go right. There are only 2 legit contenders in the East and that's Boston and Pittsburgh. Then there are the rest.... Philly, Columbus, Montreal, Tampa, etc...

You need a reality check.

Old
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

i
Were a contender for sure. We just need tiny teeny weenie adjustments like changing half the team for bigger better and way more talented players but were so close. We should play in the Cup finals at LEAST in this century.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:17 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
i
Were a contender for sure. We just need tiny teeny weenie adjustments like changing half the team for bigger better and way more talented players but were so close. We should play in the Cup finals at LEAST in this century.

Old
06-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Forlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
There are only 2 legit contenders in the East and that's Boston and Pittsburgh.
I agree that we are just "in the mix" or a bubble team but I also think the East is open for anybody. Boston should be better with a more mature young D corps and a healthy Seidenberg. But they have their issues too.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, I think they have miss managed that team mightily. Their D Corps is a disaster, an proven coach from the juniors??? Thin after Gino and the Kid....

I think the East is up for grabs.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:00 AM
CGG

What is it with everyone still declaring Boston as the one and only true "contender" from the East?

I get that Montreal has holes right now. So does everyone though. Right now, no Vanek. But also, Boston doesn't have Iginla anymore. Montreal has cap space though. Boston does not. In fact Boston has a $4.5 million salary cap penalty this year, so they have less money than every other team in the league to spend. Plus they still carry around Marc Savard on their cap payroll until they can declare him injured again at the start of the season.

Plus, you know, Montreal beat Boston last year in the playoffs without Galchenyuk, who should take a major step forward this year.

Face it, Boston is on the decline. Their big asset is in net, but Price is just as good as Rask (I say better actually, since Price doesn't suck when playing his biggest rival). Boston's one star player (Chara) has slowed down big time. They have no depth whatsoever. Their blueline is terrible beyond Chara. And they have no cap space to re-sign Iginla or add anyone else who will make an impact.

You have to assume Montreal will fill the hole on right wing one way or another (UFA or trade). If Boston does add a major piece like Iginla, they have to subtract a bunch of pieces to get under the cap.

Face it, Montreal is better than Boston, sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:08 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
What is it with everyone still declaring Boston as the one and only true "contender" from the East?

I get that Montreal has holes right now. So does everyone though. Right now, no Vanek. But also, Boston doesn't have Iginla anymore. Montreal has cap space though. Boston does not. In fact Boston has a $4.5 million salary cap penalty this year, so they have less money than every other team in the league to spend. Plus they still carry around Marc Savard on their cap payroll until they can declare him injured again at the start of the season.

Plus, you know, Montreal beat Boston last year in the playoffs without Galchenyuk, who should take a major step forward this year.

Face it, Boston is on the decline. Their big asset is in net, but Price is just as good as Rask (I say better actually, since Price doesn't suck when playing his biggest rival). Boston's one star player (Chara) has slowed down big time. They have no depth whatsoever. Their blueline is terrible beyond Chara. And they have no cap space to re-sign Iginla or add anyone else who will make an impact.

You have to assume Montreal will fill the hole on right wing one way or another (UFA or trade). If Boston does add a major piece like Iginla, they have to subtract a bunch of pieces to get under the cap.

Face it, Montreal is better than Boston, sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

And what happens if the Habs don't meet Boston in the playoffs? This is my thing.. Boston can beat any team in the East except for Montreal. Montreal will have a tough time with several teams in the East. Boston CAN beat the Western powerhouses. Montreal would struggle mightily.

Pittsburgh gets talked up because they have 2 of the best players in the world and a lot of fire power. All they need is a new coach (they have one) and a GM with some sense and they can really beast. They have the assets to make a few tweaks and be a legit contender.

If you think Montreal is as much a contender as Boston and Pittsburgh, I'd have to say you're a bit on the delusional side.

Habs again have many holes. They have a major problem at the Center position unlike any of the other contenders. The defense is a serious problem as well. There is a big problem on the wing. Generating goals 5 on 5 is a big problem and has been for YEARS now. There is a size issue as well...oh..and then there's the coach.

Habs CAN beat a couple teams in the playoffs, but that doesn't make them contenders. People seem to be caught up in the "anything can happen" thought process. I really hope Bergie doesn't have that mindset.

Boston has won a cup in the last few years. They've gone to the finals a couple years back and have been pretty successful in the playoffs. More successful than ANY team in the East and you wonder why people give them the best shot at coming out of the East? Habs will be a contender when they start winning consistently and can impose their will on good teams.

Last edited by hockeyfan2k11: 06-27-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old
06-27-2014, 07:15 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlando View Post
I agree that we are just "in the mix" or a bubble team but I also think the East is open for anybody. Boston should be better with a more mature young D corps and a healthy Seidenberg. But they have their issues too.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, I think they have miss managed that team mightily. Their D Corps is a disaster, an proven coach from the juniors??? Thin after Gino and the Kid....

I think the East is up for grabs.
The East is wide open, but I still think it goes through Boston. To me that doesn't make the Habs a contender though. I think Habs can either contend in the East or completely fall off the map and miss the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Old
06-27-2014, 07:23 AM
MathMan

Disagree. The underlying numbers last year were those of a bubble team. They're not a contender so long as they have to rely on Vezina goaltending to make the playoffs, simple as that. One good playoff run doesn't change that. I don't think the Habs missing the playoffs is even out of the question for next year, though with their talent level and the weakness of the East, it is quite unlikely.

I do think they have the roster to become a low-end, dark horse type contender (not a Los Angeles, Chicago or Boston, but maybe a New York Rangers) but not with the set of tactics they've employed.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Disagree. We lost Vanek and we might lose Weaver. Markov will be one year older. Gionta and Bouillon could be back. As of today we are not contenders but let's wait to see what Bergevin will do.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:29 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If you think Montreal is as much a contender as Boston and Pittsburgh, I'd have to say you're a bit on the delusional side.
Boston no, but Pittsburgh is not a great team. They have a couple of great players but their depth stinks. They're not a contender until they have a better supporting cast.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Karl Pilkington

It is a necessary aspect of a large part of society to downplay the positive feelings towards what you love and support, because you want to lose, truly, you fear losing so much, that you it becomes your desire, because you predicted it, your own pride, fear of your pride being hurt by what you love, causes the weak-minded to diminish the goodness of what they support... not just with the Habs for those here downplaying the skill and depth of this team, the game-breaking players we have, but with everything in your life you support, and it's why.. you are a loser.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
If they signed Vanek they would have been, now they're back to where they were pre-deadline: Start season with .500 hockey, go on a hot streak of 10 games, then revert to 0.500 hockey with 15W in 32 games.

What's kinda scary is the relative healthiness Habs had last season. Not sure that's sustainable.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:53 AM
FinnHab

Lets see what kind of job MB do with roster tweaking. Couple of pieces still missing.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:59 AM
BrimStone64

We got final 4 without Price....how are we not a contender. If we trade for Gaborik instead of Vanek, and don't lose Price...what were our cup chances?

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
We got final 4 without Price....how are we not a contender. If we trade for Gaborik instead of Vanek, and don't lose Price...what were our cup chances?
nope, Price injury happened in the ECF...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote