HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Lecavalier's agent given permission to talk to other teams about a trade

Old
06-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Why the **** is the agent looking for a trade?

Homer =

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:37 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

Homer =
1. Homer's not the GM anymore.

2. This is common practice for a guy with a NTC/NMC. The agent gauges the market for teams that his client is interested in and then reports back to the GM.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
Win it for Ed

Quote:

Homer =
Agents looking for a trade happen all the time....

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:43 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Agent wants a trade so his client ins not playing 8 mins a night next year centering Rinaldo and Hall again.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Didn't he score most of his goals when on a scoring line early in the season?
He scored 9 goals in 22 games before his back injury.

After he came back he scored 11 goals in 47 games.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot91 View Post
Thing is, I didn't see the Flyers as a team that HAD TO spend the money. They had a need for a 2nd line center but that old saying "patience is a virtue" rings true. How long have the Blackhawks needed a true 2nd line center? Vinny has been damaged goods for a long time now and for as much of a need as the Flyers had, I felt at the time it wasn't a need desperate enough to sign a man who has fallen off a cliff since 2007. I will always defend Lecavalier as one of the best in the league but that's only when he is healthy. Sadly for him, that's never more than about a month.

Whatever re-deal you get for him I hope it works out because unless Lecavalier's health improves and he STAYS healthy, he is just going to bounce from team to team.
Chicago has had to lose salary every year recently because they had their core locked up well the Flyers had extra money in their budget to spend last year. They aren't comparable situations.

If you want to draw a Chicago parallel then look at how they overpaid Campbell or Bulin a few years back when they did have extra cap space to work with knowing those players likely wouldn't be with them throughout their entire deals.

Philly got a useful year out of Vinny even if he was overpaid but that cap space can't be carried forward so they were a better team with him then without. Now they can get an extra asset for him in a trade that they wouldn't have gotten.

I fail to see how the Vinny signing was a bad move. If anything it was a very shrewd move for how much they front loaded the deal to make him more attractive to other teams.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:56 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Homer =
No, friend, the facepalm is reserved for you.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 01:59 PM
fulmine
Original 31 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Chicago has had to lose salary every year recently because they had their core locked up well the Flyers had extra money in their budget to spend last year. They aren't comparable situations.

If you want to draw a Chicago parallel then look at how they overpaid Campbell or Bulin a few years back when they did have extra cap space to work with knowing those players likely wouldn't be with them throughout their entire deals.

Philly got a useful year out of Vinny even if he was overpaid but that cap space can't be carried forward so they were a better team with him then without. Now they can get an extra asset for him in a trade that they wouldn't have gotten.

I fail to see how the Vinny signing was a bad move. If anything it was a very shrewd move for how much they front loaded the deal to make him more attractive to other teams.
Why did they give him a NMC if the intent was to trade him?

fulmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Curufinwe

He got an NMC so he could control where he would go if they wanted to trade him.

Old
06-26-2014, 02:24 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
There's also the playoffs. Players like to play in those, I hear.
Yeah but don't players like having as hot at the cup too? I mean, 39 years with no cups is kind of a big deal wouldn't you say?

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Yeah but don't players like having as hot at the cup too? I mean, 39 years with no cups is kind of a big deal wouldn't you say?
Ouch.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Curufinwe

So no players will ever sign as free agents in San Jose, St Louis, Toronto, Ottawa, Washington, Vancouver or Minnesota?

Great logic.

Old
06-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Jray42

Quote:

Homer =
Chandrashekhar Limit =

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:06 PM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
I would have no problem swapping Lecavalier for Briere
Me neither as long as the Flyers retain 50% of his cap hit. Other wise not a chance from the Habs.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
MetalMilitia44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
Me neither as long as the Flyers retain 50% of his cap hit. Other wise not a chance from the Habs.
Retaining half of Vinny's cap makes absolutely no sense for the Flyers. I will be miserable with Hextall if he makes any such idiotic deal

MetalMilitia44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think we will move him during the first week of July. He is talking to other teams about a trade and we owe him a big binus on July 1st. After that he is owed 4 million for the season. He was just a real poor fit for the Flyers and can't play wing. Dallas and Florida make a good amount of sense if they miss out on the big names available. That's what we have to wait for.

06-26-2014, 03:29 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia44 View Post
Retaining half of Vinny's cap makes absolutely no sense for the Flyers. I will be miserable with Hextall if he makes any such idiotic deal
and there is the point, the Flyesr signed him to too much money and the only way they will be able to move him is to eat some of his salary, perhaps as much as 50%.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:31 PM
The Nightman Cometh

Vinny really isn't that bad a player. The problem is (as we said at the time) that we have too many centres and he can't play elsewhere. If you're a bit light on C then he's going to be an excellent pick-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
and there is the point, the Flyesr signed him to too much money and the only way they will be able to move him is to eat some of his salary, perhaps as much as 50%.
Yes, because there's no teams in the NHL who would be interested in a contract for a good player that has a higher cap hit to dollar amount eh?

Fact is that not every team spends to the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
LeCav is a much, much better player than Briere at this point. That's what we'd be taking on with the trade.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:33 PM
peteyo

Why would briere go back to philly...

peteyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Mogilny to Bure
Fire Linden First

If benning is confident about a playoff run id like lecavaliar

Could be part of a kesler blockbuster

Mogilny to Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot91 View Post
I only partially agree with that. Not doubt Sean Couturier is an unfinished product and slotting Vinny as the #2 center in his place did indeed make sense at the time, but given the other assets the Flyers had in guys like Hartnell, Voracek, Schenn, Giroux, going for Lecavalier just seemed like complete and total overkill in my book. And like you said... injuries. Vinny has years worth of broken hands, shoulder surgeries, leg injuries and about 500 other bumps and bruises in between since the 2007-2008 season that he's playing with that's ALREADY slowing him down. Having been armed with this information, I'm just shocked the Flyers actually went for it. The Lightning let Vinny go because he was a walking red flag and making way too much money in the process.

When he's healthy he's one of the best in the world but that's the problem: Vinny hasn't been healthy in years. When he's healthy he can be a fit on almost any team and when he's not it's like one of those cliches you always hear about fitting a square peg in a round hole or trying to fit 30 lbs of flower into a 20 lb bag.
But in fairness, we have no idea what could have been going on behind the scenes. Maybe they were trying to deal a Dman and a forward for a better dman, but couldn't get a deal done. We don't know. Not to mention, they started Schenn on the wing until Vinny got hurt. So up to that point, ?Vinny was one of the only players playing half decent.

Personally, I have no issue with trading off some vets and use the money on better depth guys. Having players like Winnik and Moore would really help the team.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Tripod

Quote:
I bet we don't.

As bad as a year Vinny had, injury to back, learning a new position, and playing on the 4th line at times, he STILL put up 1st line production in goals. Think about that for a second. 30 teams x3 forwards...and Vinny finished tied for 87th. 1st line goal scoring yet was shuffled around like never before. I am willing to bet that if he stays with Philly this coming year, he puts up 50 points.

Last edited by Tripod: 06-26-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
Perhaps so. But they're not going to eat half the money AND take another bad contract back in return.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Vinny really isn't that bad a player. The problem is (as we said at the time) that we have too many centres and he can't play elsewhere. If you're a bit light on C then he's going to be an excellent pick-up.

Yes, because there's no teams in the NHL who would be interested in a contract for a good player that has a higher cap hit to dollar amount eh?

Fact is that not every team spends to the cap.

LeCav is a much, much better player than Briere at this point. That's what we'd be taking on with the trade.
You might be talking about that but we would be talking about taking on a bad contract for4 yrs compared to keeping one for 1 yr.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyo View Post
Why would briere go back to philly...
Uhm wouldn't he? He left on good terms & even still has his house in the area. He said he plans on returning back to the area to live after his playing days are over.

If Montreal was willing to do a Briere for Vinny swap (which I doubt they would) it wouldn't get held up by Briere.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote