HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell not Returning

Old
06-26-2014, 02:52 PM
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
I know Minny has inquired but I can see the Avs going for him. Avs could use a guy like WM to mentor the younguns..
As long as the Wild lands him, I will be relieved he's out of the division; I just don't wanna over think the implications.

ADifferentTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Raccoon Jesus
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I'm not going to say anything until he actually belongs to another team. The "no room for him" means he wants too much. But after looking around, he could change his mind.
I sentimentally want to agree and he could but remember he also wants to keep playing a big role, not just on our 3rd pairing/HS, and wants probably a longer contract than we're willing to cough up.

ďI donít know. When youíre doing stuff like this, you can play a long, long time. Iíll play Ďtil Iím 50,Ē he said. ďThereís different things that go into that, Rosey. Health is obviously number one. I just finished my exit physical, and thereís not a thing on me, so I feel great. So thatís huge. I played 95 games or whatever I playedÖthatís a lot of hockey. I felt good, and luckily other than a hamstring pull against San Jose late, I had a pretty healthy year. So I think when youíre older and youíve got your health, then you want to continue playing. Everyone has a different situation, but for me, I donít want to play when Iím laying it up, in and out of the lineup. I want to only play when Iím making a difference out there with my teammates. Played lots down the stretch and lots in the playoffs, like I said, and felt I was on top of my stuff, so for me, that motivates me to continue playing because I just like that element of feeling like youíre making a difference. If I donít have that anymore, where Iím not out there when the gameís on the line, or when we need a big penalty kill or something like that, then probably thatís when Iíll decide to reinvent myself and get onto the next thing.Ē

http://lakingsinsider.com/2014/06/17...-with-the-cup/

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni Owl View Post
Damn, wanted him to come back over Greene...
Same here.

Wish Willie all the best where ever he ends up.

Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Sucks but I guess this was obvious. Everything I wanted to say has been said. Best UFA signing, comes here and wins two Cups, great player and hard to replace even though he lost a step last season.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 03:21 PM
BigKing
Too Funky

The "no room" comment isn't so much because of the cap but because we are not going to carry 8 defensemen all season. They only did that to start last season because they weren't sure if Mitchell was going to be able to handle minutes.

It would not be cool to sit on 8 defensemen, get some injuries to the forwards and then be stuck. When they tried to send the extra defenseman down last season in Ellerby, they lost him. No way in hell McNabb is being exposed so there you have it.

Love what he provided to the team during his time here. Lombardi did him a solid by giving him the extra years back in 2010 and he returned the favor. At this point though, I'd rather keep Greene at 31 years old as opposed to handing out multiple years on a +35 contract.

Upwards and onwards. This team will need a cost controlled defenseman to play important minutes moving forward so it is time for McNabb to get his feet wet. Can't be sitting here with $3.5MM to Mitchell for another two seasons while having to re-sign Muzzin and Martinez after this one.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He's won his two Cups, I think he knows that is role now will be to pass on his experience and guide the next generation of dmen coming up the ranks, and he will get a chance to do that wherever he ends up signing.

Hope he enjoys continued success wherever he ends up signing (except for when he plays the Kings). It was hard to see Scuderi depart as well, but there comes a point where these older vets are going to have to move on, and we're thankful that Mitchell signed here and played a huge role in helping the team win two Stanley Cups.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Best of luck to Willie!

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Reclamation Project
Out Ta Get Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's won his two Cups, I think he knows that is role now will be to pass on his experience and guide the next generation of dmen coming up the ranks, and he will get a chance to do that wherever he ends up signing.

Hope he enjoys continued success wherever he ends up signing (except for when he plays the Kings). It was hard to see Scuderi depart as well, but there comes a point where these older vets are going to have to move on, and we're thankful that Mitchell signed here and played a huge role in helping the team win two Stanley Cups.
I remember when many on here complained that the Kings didn't re-sign Scuderi. Pittsburgh fans are trying to give him away now.

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:46 PM
KingsCorona

Wish we could keep him, Mitchell is a stalwart D man, and a big part of why the Kings have had top ranked defenses the last few seasons. Great, great player. Wish him the best of luck if he does leave, and I'm grateful for his indispensable contributions to our Stanley Cup victories. Whatever team snags him will certainly be better for it.

KingsCorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:48 PM
BamBam1031

Best of luck to yet another playoff warrior and champion. His leaving opens up a gaping hole on the team. Hopefully, someone steps up to fill that void.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I remember when many on here complained that the Kings didn't re-sign Scuderi. Pittsburgh fans are trying to give him away now.
It was evident in his last season here that Scuderi was slowing down. The Penguins thought they were getting the Scuderi from their 2009 Stanley Cup run, or the 2012 Kings' run. But in 2013, he didn't look the same and his play this season proved that he's lost a step.

Mitchell started off very slowly, as was anticipated due to the amount of time he missed recovering from his surgeries, but he got better as the season progressed and was back in top form once he got back into the lineup in the playoffs.

I just hope that Regehr can mitigate the loss of Mitchell and that McNabb blows us away with his play. I think the Kings are viewing McNabb as the eventual successor to Mitchell as he's got the size, the shot, and the physical play to be the same type of player.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Reclamation Project
Out Ta Get Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It was evident in his last season here that Scuderi was slowing down. The Penguins thought they were getting the Scuderi from their 2009 Stanley Cup run, or the 2012 Kings' run. But in 2013, he didn't look the same and his play this season proved that he's lost a step.

Mitchell started off very slowly, as was anticipated due to the amount of time he missed recovering from his surgeries, but he got better as the season progressed and was back in top form once he got back into the lineup in the playoffs.

I just hope that Regehr can mitigate the loss of Mitchell and that McNabb blows us away with his play. I think the Kings are viewing McNabb as the eventual successor to Mitchell as he's got the size, the shot, and the physical play to be the same type of player.
Someone offered 2 years/10 million on the main board for Mitchell. No way would I give him that.

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Ron*
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Someone offered 2 years/10 million on the main board for Mitchell. No way would I give him that.
Paul Holmgren posts on HFBoards?

Ron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:09 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Yikes.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Ron*
Bandwagon Since 1967

@reallisa: Heard from the Willie Mitchell camp. Five teams have reached out so far. More likely tomorrow.

Ron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:24 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
@reallisa: Heard from the Willie Mitchell camp. Five teams have reached out so far. More likely tomorrow.
I'm really sad about losing this guy - especially because I won't be able to easily get his autograph now! One of those teams will give him 4-5 mill over 2-3 years, bank on that.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:43 PM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

Best of luck to Willie. Thanks for helping the Kings win two Cups.

Dude, seemed like a real good guy so I hope he truly does well wherever he goes.

Time for McNabb to put his big boy pants on and help fill in the void on the blue line.

kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
johnjm22

That sucks. He's still a great defenseman IMO. Better than most of the guys we currently have.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:47 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The Ducks will give him a 4 year deal...

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Face Wash

By the way...Average age of the team w/o Willie and with McNabb when the season starts is 27 y/o exactly. which is usually the beginning of an individual athletes PRIME years.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:02 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
By the way...Average age of the team w/o Willie and with McNabb when the season starts is 27 y/o exactly. which is usually the beginning of an individual athletes PRIME years.
Where does that rank us in the NHL?

06-26-2014, 06:07 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
The Ducks will give him a 4 year deal...
I doubt the Ducks are interested...they have a logjam of young, talented NHL defenders.

Old
06-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Mitchnesses
Hunk of Monkey Love

vCash: 546
Sad to see Willie go. Wish him all the best, hopefully on an east coast team.

Mitchnesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:10 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mitchrock View Post
Sad to see Willie go. Wish him all the best, hopefully on an east coast team.
My money is on Minnesota or Colorado.

Old
06-26-2014, 06:13 PM
deeshamrock

Nothing but great memories of him as a King and all that he sacrificed of himself in the 2 Cup runs. Great leader which the young players coming up benefitted from. I think that he'll sign with a team that is a contender or one that would be set for a deep playoff run. He's only got a couple years left and would want to use them wisely.

Best of luck Willie

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote