HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2014, 08:47 PM
  #901
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Too bad that doesn't win championships today. You gotta score goals.
Wait, what? Please name a single Stanley Cup winning team that didn't win because of it's defense and goaltending. The Kings have an equal to Lundqvist in net and have just as deep a defense corp.

The difference was the scoring, yes, but the Rangers stripping its strength to, at-best, marginally-improve, if at-all, the scoring, is a recipe for disaster.

Who is scoring all those goals, and how are we affording it both in assets and under the cap?

Sign Stralman, find a scorer before the trade deadline.

Or better yet, i don't understand why Sather and Co. can't do both at the same time before July, 1. Why is it, that this front office seems to be one of the only groups that can't multitask.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
  #902
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
That's still not getting it done.. but I'd gladly take him.
Then that's no good for the Rangers. Stralman is a decade younger and would command close to $5 million if Mitchell at 37 can get over $3-3.5.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  #903
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectrocutedCat View Post
Wait, what? Please name a single Stanley Cup winning team that didn't win because of it's defense and goaltending. The Kings have an equal to Lundqvist in net and have just as deep a defense corp.

The difference was the scoring, yes, but the Rangers stripping its strength to, at-best, marginally-improve, if at-all, the scoring, is a recipe for disaster.

Who is scoring all those goals, and how are we affording it both in assets and under the cap?

Sign Stralman, find a scorer before the trade deadline.
So we want to lock up.. Mcdonagh (4.7), Girardi (4M), Staal (4M right now), Stralman (4M), Klein (2.9M).. + whatever Moore makes (say 1.25M).. you're looking at 20M locked up in a blue line that can't put up points.

or are you trading both Staal and/or Klein?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  #904
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,988
vCash: 500
I'm on board with signing our UFA's as I have said. An unfortunate alliance with the Corsi metric dogmatists.

Get it done, swallow the pride. You paid 6.5 for Redden on an off year. Keep this team together.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  #905
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Then that's no good for the Rangers. Stralman is a decade younger and would command close to $5 million if Mitchell at 37 can get over $3-3.5.
That's about what Stralman is going to get.. and people want to pay it.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:51 PM
  #906
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I'm on board with signing our UFA's as I have said. An unfortunate alliance with the Corsi metric dogmatists.

Get it done, swallow the pride. You paid 6.5 for Redden on an off year. Keep this team together.
at least 2 of them outta boyle, moore, stralman, poo, etc. We can't lose all our freaking depth.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:51 PM
  #907
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
There is a GM, and how many "assistant" GMs in that office? Gorton and Schoenfeld.

They can't delegate some responsibilities and negotiate contracts and make trades at the same time?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
  #908
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 19,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I'm on board with signing our UFA's as I have said. An unfortunate alliance with the Corsi metric dogmatists.

Get it done, swallow the pride. You paid 6.5 for Redden on an off year. Keep this team together.
Not really an alliance with advanced stats proponents as much as an alliance with people who believe if you just went to the Finals you should try your best to retain as many of those players as possible.

__________________


rip
DMPD is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 09:01 PM
  #909
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So we want to lock up.. Mcdonagh (4.7), Girardi (4M), Staal (4M right now), Stralman (4M), Klein (2.9M).. + whatever Moore makes (say 1.25M).. you're looking at 20M locked up in a blue line that can't put up points.

or are you trading both Staal and/or Klein?
I would trade Staal before the trade deadline. Yes.

Again, the guy is not what he used to be. His head injuries and eye injury have aged him quickly. His reaction time isn't the same, he loses pucks in his feet, he loses foot races when he has to turn around and get to the corner or back boards, and he will be commanding at least 6 million annually on his next contract.

Get as much mileage out of him now as I can, trade him before the deadline for scoring depth, multitask and find a LHD that can log about 15 minutes. Mac, G, and Stral would take the brunt of the load while the other 3 i would handle with a little more care, but evenly disperse the minutes.

I'd fill the 4th line with guys like Winnik, Skille, and Dom Moore. Carcillo would be my 13th.

If Pouliot prices himself out, so be it. Find a value replacemet. Pouliot was a value signing. Do it again.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 09:02 PM
  #910
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Not really an alliance with advanced stats proponents as much as an alliance with people who believe if you just went to the Finals you should try your best to retain as many of those players as possible.
That I can get on board with.

Despite the unpredictability of the NHL playoffs. I trust the guys that got us there. Including the unsung heroes Klein, Dorsett, Carcillo, and Moore.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 09:05 PM
  #911
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
at least 2 of them outta boyle, moore, stralman, poo, etc. We can't lose all our freaking depth.
Stralman and Dominic Moore are the most important pieces, IMO.

I would say Brian Boyle, but he is 100% gone. He wants more minutes, he wants more responsibility, he wants a bigger role. Rangers can't give it to him.

Dominic Moore becomes the most important forward in that group.

And you know my stance on Stralman. He should be priority #1.

Get Stralman and Moore signed, and the other parts can be filled with value.

Winnik, Skille, Ribeiro, Setoguchi...value guys will be out there. Maybe Grabovski is an option.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 09:14 PM
  #912
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
To clarify what I mean by value guys. Guys who may be outcast elsewhere, maybe won't command a huge salary, but are still good players and could be given specific roles, where they know and understand the role, and don't deviate from the role, and fit within Vigneault's system.

Winnik isn't as good as Brian Boyle, no. But he can bring some of the same qualities and is probably a better skater. Jack Skille isn't a world beater, but he will be looking to redeem himself and he brings size and speed. Winnik (lefty), Skille (righty), could be good fits on Dom Moore's wings. Add size to the bottom of the lineup. Could cause issues for opponents by forechecking hard and pinning the opposition.

Can a cap guru figure out what that would cost if Winnik, Moore, Skille, Carcillo were our 10, 11, 12, 13 forwards.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 10:01 PM
  #913
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 500
Dominic Moore was the motor on that line. He created the plays. Give him 3 years, front loaded to lower the cap hit. Very tradeable veteran 4th liner.

Faye would be a solid addition. Good number, underrated player. Hopefully his cap hit is reasonable and it gives the Rangers another RD which is hard to find. As long as the contract is in line, that's another free asset.

They need to add a player with size to the top-9.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 10:09 PM
  #914
LundqvistsEvilTwin
Registered User
 
LundqvistsEvilTwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: detroit
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
lets run with Diaz stralman was no one before he came to ny 3

LundqvistsEvilTwin is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 10:17 PM
  #915
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Losing D.Moore is plain dumb. Establish depth in the bottom six, run 4 lines, sucess....

Blow it all out in the offseason signing unkowns lose chemistry...



Typical Sather.

NikC is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 10:30 PM
  #916
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Philly gave Shelley 3 years/$3.3M and they immediately regretted that contract.
Signing Boogard didn't exactly work out for the Rangers, either - and I'm not talking about his death - I'm talking about his season being over after about 20 games due to a concussion.


Last edited by Chief: 06-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Chief is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:13 PM
  #917
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Niskanen, coveted by the Minnesota Wild, is seeking a seven-year contract worth at least $5 million annually. That kind of contract doesn't work for the Penguins.
http://triblive.com/mobile/6332544-9...ins-defensemen

Niskanen will get that contract

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest buzz item of the weekend was the salary cap, the NHL and NHL Players’ Association announcing Friday that it would be $69 million for next season.

That’s about $1 million less than what most teams had budgeted for, which is no small deal.

For teams like Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers, every dime matters when you’re a cap team and having a lower-than-expected cap greatly affects potential moves and certainly the ability to spend.

"Yeah, it affects every team that’s close," Flyers GM Ron Hextall said Saturday. "It affects us for sure. We’ve got to find a way to get below it. It was a little lower than we thought and hoped."

The Blackhawks are trying to find a No. 2 center, the Bruins had hoped to re-sign Jarome Iginla, the Rangers have Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman headed to free agency, and the list goes on.

Having a cap that’s a $1 million less than expected is far from ideal for many of these cap teams.

What’s most interesting is that in the negotiations over setting the cap number, it was the NHL Players’ Association wanting it at $69 million while the league wanted it at $70 million. The NHLPA’s concern was that a $70-million cap would lead to more escrow payments for players next year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...e-to-predators

That $1M makes a huge difference filling out the roster.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:22 PM
  #918
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
They are making way too big of a deal about the cap being @ 69M for the Rangers.. People are acting like we can't sign anybody because of our RFAs.. its absurd. and by anybody, I mean any of our own UFAs

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:31 PM
  #919
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
I just hope we keep Moore.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:33 PM
  #920
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
They are making way too big of a deal about the cap being @ 69M for the Rangers.. People are acting like we can't sign anybody because of our RFAs.. its absurd. and by anybody, I mean any of our own UFAs
Given how few moves have actually gone down around the league, I think it's likely reporters are blowing smoke to fill column space.

Zil is offline  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:38 PM
  #921
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
the 1M loss from 70->69 was basically already negated by trading Dorsett (if you assume we would not have tried to trade him if it didn't go down)

SA16 is online now  
Old
06-28-2014, 11:56 PM
  #922
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,493
vCash: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectrocutedCat View Post
I would trade Staal before the trade deadline. Yes.

Again, the guy is not what he used to be. His head injuries and eye injury have aged him quickly. His reaction time isn't the same, he loses pucks in his feet, he loses foot races when he has to turn around and get to the corner or back boards, and he will be commanding at least 6 million annually on his next contract.

Get as much mileage out of him now as I can, trade him before the deadline for scoring depth, multitask and find a LHD that can log about 15 minutes. Mac, G, and Stral would take the brunt of the load while the other 3 i would handle with a little more care, but evenly disperse the minutes.
I highly agree with moving Staal while we can get something good for him. He is definitely not what he used to be.

__________________
Oak is offline  
Old
06-29-2014, 12:04 AM
  #923
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($2.500m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.600m) / Ryan Carter ($0.900m)
Jesper Fast ($0.805m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
John Moore ($1.250m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,911,667; BONUSES: $445,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $88,333

Reasons for the following contracts..

Zucc.. 3.5M
comparable: Alex Killorn who just signed a 2 year deal with the Lightning for $2.55M, put up 41 points (17 goals, 24 assists).. Zucc put up a 59 point season (19 goals, 40 assists), 18 more points than Killorn which is why he's making a million dollars more per year.

Chris Kreider 2.5M.
comparable.. Carl Hagelin signing his 2 year bridge contract put up 24 points in 48 games (10 goals 14 assists) during the lockout.. Prorate that over a full season, and you're looking at about 35-40 points.. Kreider this season put up 37 points (17G 20A) in 66 games, but also spent some time in Hartford in the beginning of the season. gets slightly more than Hagelin on a bridge contract.

Derick Brassard - 4M
Comparable.. Patrick Berglund just signed a contract worth 3.7M per year over 3 years.. The last 3 years Berglund has put up 99 points, while Brassard has put up 116 points, a difference of 17 points, which is why I put Brassard in the 4M range.

Pouilit and Stralman may very well get more.. but I would go 2 years on Pouilot, and 5 years if need be on Stralman if we can secure him at 4M.. but thats the absolute highest I would go on both of them..

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-29-2014, 12:44 AM
  #924
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 22,255
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I can't see the front office missing the boat this much. If Moore wants under 2M, its just such a no brainer to bring him back.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
06-29-2014, 12:46 AM
  #925
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($2.500m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.600m) / Ryan Carter ($0.900m)
Jesper Fast ($0.805m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
John Moore ($1.250m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,911,667; BONUSES: $445,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $88,333

Reasons for the following contracts..

Zucc.. 3.5M
comparable: Alex Killorn who just signed a 2 year deal with the Lightning for $2.55M, put up 41 points (17 goals, 24 assists).. Zucc put up a 59 point season (19 goals, 40 assists), 18 more points than Killorn which is why he's making a million dollars more per year.

Chris Kreider 2.5M.
comparable.. Carl Hagelin signing his 2 year bridge contract put up 24 points in 48 games (10 goals 14 assists) during the lockout.. Prorate that over a full season, and you're looking at about 35-40 points.. Kreider this season put up 37 points (17G 20A) in 66 games, but also spent some time in Hartford in the beginning of the season. gets slightly more than Hagelin on a bridge contract.

Derick Brassard - 4M
Comparable.. Patrick Berglund just signed a contract worth 3.7M per year over 3 years.. The last 3 years Berglund has put up 99 points, while Brassard has put up 116 points, a difference of 17 points, which is why I put Brassard in the 4M range.

Pouilit and Stralman may very well get more.. but I would go 2 years on Pouilot, and 5 years if need be on Stralman if we can secure him at 4M.. but thats the absolute highest I would go on both of them..
Well your estimated numbers basically show why they need to pay hardball in negotiations. Basically have enough for a rd and 2 fourth liners but they can't overpay if vote Moore . Boyke is gone for sure and pouliott needs to take less

Vitto79 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.