HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft

Old
07-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Don't understand that reasoning at all.

Are you telling me we couldn't use a Tanner Pearson 2 years from now? Drafted 30th overall by the Kings in 2012 as an overager, contributed heavily to their Cup win in 2014.

Better yet, we have our own example in a certain guy named Shaw.

Potential logjam in freakin Rockford?? Weakest excuse ever.
Not an excuse, but a master plan. The Hawks are a pretty good drafting team. They definitely have an eye toward service clock built in to these picks and when they predict guys to reach the big club. I'm sure if the talent is truly overwhelming, they'll take a guy whose ready (see TT in his draft). But I'm sure the Hawks love having the luxury of taking guys they can take their time with developing in college and the AHL.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
The Hawks are a pretty good drafting team.
Are they really though? I'm not trying to be pessimistic but we'll be in trouble if Clendening, Danault, McNeill, Dahlbeck, Johns doesn't become NHL players. TT, I'm almost certain will be something. Olsen, Pirri, Hayes were traded and we need guys like that to become players for the Hawks.

My thinking is that, while I understand the reasoning behind getting players that are 4 years out, it's not like we're exactly stacked in Rockford now. Why not take a flier on someone who is 1-2 years away? Our window is now and we'll need cheap talent to fill out the roster starting in 2015.

Hope my fears are unfounded and the guys we took this draft are great. Just wouldn't have minded a Mistele, Chatham or Hunter Smith with one of the picks.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:13 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Are they really though? I'm not trying to be pessimistic but we'll be in trouble if Clendening, Danault, McNeill, Dahlbeck, Johns doesn't become NHL players. TT, I'm almost certain will be something. Olsen, Pirri, Hayes were traded and we need guys like that to become players for the Hawks.

My thinking is that, while I understand the reasoning behind getting players that are 4 years out, it's not like we're exactly stacked in Rockford now. Why not take a flier on someone who is 1-2 years away? Our window is now and we'll need cheap talent to fill out the roster starting in 2015.

Hope my fears are unfounded and the guys we took this draft are great. Just wouldn't have minded a Mistele, Chatham or Hunter Smith with one of the picks.
No they don't. The Hawks are loaded, There's no room on the roster at the moment.. and when spots do open up, you'll have 5+ guys battling for 1-2 spots. The best players will emerge from that and that's what you want - competition for spots.

And yes, Rockford is loaded at the moment and it'll only become more congested. Were they great last year? No.. but they have a lot of prospects fighting for ice-time down there in McNeill, Danault, Hartman, Ross, Nordstrom, A.Broadhurst and Carey up front and Clendening, Johns, Van Riemsdyk, Fournier and Svedberg on the backend.

The Hawks will likely bring in Michael Paliotta on D next year and possibly Nick Mattson. They could bring in Vince Hinostroza as well, after his Sophmore season at Notre Dame.

However, the 2016 off-season looks like it'll be a big one with a rush of Prospects for Chicago. Vince Hinostroza will be signed after his Junior season at the latest, Tyler Motte and John Hayden could also be signed after their Junior seasons, as could Chris Calnan, and Nick Schmaltz could sign after his sophomore season. Robin Norell, Carl Dahlstrom and Robin Press could all be brought into the fold from Sweden on the backend.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
No they don't. The Hawks are loaded, There's no room on the roster at the moment.. and when spots do open up, you'll have 5+ guys battling for 1-2 spots. The best players will emerge from that and that's what you want - competition for spots.

And yes, Rockford is loaded at the moment and it'll only become more congested. Were they great last year? No.. but they have a lot of prospects fighting for ice-time down there in McNeill, Danault, Hartman, Ross, Nordstrom, A.Broadhurst and Carey up front and Clendening, Johns, Van Riemsdyk, Fournier and Svedberg on the backend.

The Hawks will likely bring in Michael Paliotta on D next year and possibly Nick Mattson. They could bring in Vince Hinostroza as well, after his Sophmore season at Notre Dame.

However, the 2016 off-season looks like it'll be a big one with a rush of Prospects for Chicago. Vince Hinostroza will be signed after his Junior season at the latest, Tyler Motte and John Hayden could also be signed after their Junior seasons, as could Chris Calnan, and Nick Schmaltz could sign after his sophomore season. Robin Norell, Carl Dahlstrom and Robin Press could all be brought into the fold from Sweden on the backend.
Looking forwards a bit, we will most likely be getting alot of draft picks OR high wuality picks when the cap purge happens next offseason. I can already see a situation where Sharp and Leddy get dealt for a 1st and 3rd and prospect or something. The prospect pool is only getting deeper as our roster turnover has been close to 0 the last 2 years.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:46 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
My thinking is that, while I understand the reasoning behind getting players that are 4 years out, it's not like we're exactly stacked in Rockford now.
Except the Hawks are stacked in Rockford right now. I know Rockford's record isn't great and they have missed the playoffs, but IMHO that has more to do with bad coaching then the players.

Quote:
Olsen, Pirri, Hayes were traded and we need guys like that to become players for the Hawks.
Those guys were given the opportunity to make the team vut couldn't make it here. Don't forget those guys were competing against guys like Saad, Kruger, and Shaw for roster spots and lost. We kept the vetter players and traded the excess.

Quote:
Why not take a flier on someone who is 1-2 years away? Our window is now and we'll need cheap talent to fill out the roster starting in 2015.
In 2015 McNeil, Danault, Clendening, Dahlbeck, Ross, and Nordstrom will all have had 3 years in the AHL and will be fighting for spots in the NHL. Plus guys like TT and Johns will be in the mix. TT might be the only top end guy out of the group, but they all look like guys who could be role players at the next level.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote