HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2014, 11:09 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 267
I'm not sure anyone really knows, it's like prospect camp is top secret or something. I think they do though, what point would it have to invite unsigned guys just to sit in meetings.

Old
07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Avs forwards

1. Duchene
2. Landeskog
3. Iginla
4. Briere
5. Tanguay
6. McGinn
7. Mitchell
8. Talbot
9. McCleod
10. Bordeleau
11. MacKinnon
12. Winchester
13. Cliche
14. O'Reilly (RFA)

15. Johnson
16. Stuart
17. Hejda
18. Wilson
19. Guenin
20. Redmond
21. Holden
22. Elliott (RFA)
23. Barrie (RFA)

24. Varlamov
25. Berra

Non roster

X. Bigras
26. Siemens
27. Heard
28. Pickard
29. Aittokallio
30. Gervais
31. Street
32. Bourke
33. Smith
34. Meurs
35. Rendulic
36. Corbett
37. Everberg
38. Cheek
39. Beaupre
40. Agozzino
41. Lauridsen
42. Henley
43. Will
44. Sgarbossa
45. Hishon (RFA)
46. Stollery (RFA)
47. Carey (RFA)
Got it now. Was missing Street and Gervais.
Thx

Old
07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone really knows, it's like prospect camp is top secret or something. I think they do though, what point would it have to invite unsigned guys just to sit in meetings.
Roy could change this, but the prospect camp since 2009 draft have been used to tell them how to become pros. I think it is meetings to say how to eat like a pro, how to be mentally tough as a pro, etc. What I think they also do is go through a few off ice training drills to see the program the Head Conditioning Coach of Avs want them on for the rest of the summer and hockey season in juniors.

Old
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Avs usually have an off-ice camp in July and a few days on ice in September before the real camp starts.

Old
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
I don't know if this is news, but apparently the Avs invited Landon Smith to the upcoming prospects camp.

Old
07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
AvsFan2123

Not looking good that Gus Young will be signed, which is a shame IMO. I thought he was personally their 3rd best D prospect behind Siemens and Bigras. Maybe tied with Elliott idk. But hopefully they do sign him to an AHL contract or something, still hope.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:25 PM
HoseEmDown

Do the Avs ever have any camps or preseason games at the Budweiser center in Loveland? Moved to the area and wanted to check them out without having to go down to Denver.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

No, they are doing a preseason game in Co Springs but that doesn't help you.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
umdieecke*

Quote:
Right. I forgot that they do it this way. I actually like how the Avs do this. It probably helps more than the dog and pony show would.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:16 PM
umdieecke*

Quote:
I think we always do a poll on this, I'm curious to see as well. I'd still rank Bigras number one but I'd put Bleackley as two.

Next Monday-Friday is rookie camp. Usually the media isn't invited but I'm hopeful some of the guys who are active on social media give a few leaks
Id say Bigras as well. Adding the RH players (ie Iginla and Briere) would seem to push Bleackley down somewhat...or perhaps a better way of saying it is to diminish the absolute need to have Bleackley play with the big club. From there, it comes down to perceived impact. If Bigras is a top 4 pairing defenseman, that > bottom six forward. But this is why the prospect pool has become more interesting. Its a study in contrast of projections and perceived values more than ever.

Old
07-04-2014, 01:50 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Here is an article about Rendulic (google translate!) and he is coming to camp next week. From articles and twitter stalking we know that in addition to the two invites that Bleackley, Magyar, Corbett, Henley and Rendulic are coming now.

Couple interesting tidbits in the article, Rendulic says that the Avs European scouts were looking for a big right shot RW between 188-192 cm tall. Bleackley also mentioned that he knew the Avs were interested in him because they said they wanted a big right shot power forward. I guess its pretty obvious what the Avs were hunting for And Rendulic says he was told he will be the first callup.

http://gol.dnevnik.hr/clanak/ostali_...---338391.html

Old
07-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Rendulic the first call up? They must really love his game for him to come in over Hishon. Though maybe they don't want to screw around with Hishon and allow him to become the player in Lake Erie.

Old
07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Or they told him that to get him to sign but otherwise I can see that he could be on the short list. He's a bit older, has great size and if he does well could be a decent callup.

Oh and Iafrate was invited to camp too.

Old
07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Rendulic the first call up? They must really love his game for him to come in over Hishon. Though maybe they don't want to screw around with Hishon and allow him to become the player in Lake Erie.
Or maybe they told some that if they work hard and show what they've got they'll be the first in consideration, or something like that.

Old
07-04-2014, 09:36 PM
AvsFan2123

What camp? Is there a list at to who's all invited? Im curious to see.

Old
07-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan2123 View Post
Rookie camp. Mostly every rookie on the team is invited along with a few who are not in the system.

Old
07-04-2014, 09:47 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
The Avs don't release any info but it's next week. They keep it hush hush for some reason but many of the prospects will be there.

Old
07-05-2014, 01:35 AM
AvsFan2123

So a bunch of random prospects are going with Landon Smith and Max Iafrate being the random invites?

Old
07-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
So a bunch of random prospects are going with Landon Smith and Max Iafrate being the random invites?
well our prospects yes.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:36 AM
maxim84

Quote:
Here is an article about Rendulic (google translate!) and he is coming to camp next week. From articles and twitter stalking we know that in addition to the two invites that Bleackley, Magyar, Corbett, Henley and Rendulic are coming now.

Couple interesting tidbits in the article, Rendulic says that the Avs European scouts were looking for a big right shot RW between 188-192 cm tall. Bleackley also mentioned that he knew the Avs were interested in him because they said they wanted a big right shot power forward. I guess its pretty obvious what the Avs were hunting for And Rendulic says he was told he will be the first callup.

http://gol.dnevnik.hr/clanak/ostali_...---338391.html
This video is from May 31st so who knows...maybe in that period something changed in the way Sakic&Roy look at their roster...and he won't be their first call-up...or maybe he will...anyway in a few more articles he sounded like a guy who is not up in the clouds because of this signing and he stated it wouldn't be a problem if he goes to AHL first, and he knows the camp is where he needs to show his best... Recently he put a pic on his facebook profile training with some young mma guy in the gym and a comment "NHL goons watch out" with a smiley attached

Old
07-05-2014, 02:16 PM
AvsFan2123

No one's really done one of these since the draft so I will. Avs top 10 prospects as of today IMO.

1) Chris Bigras - indisputable #1. Hopefully our future partner for EJ and will settle our problem of top 2 LHD were missing.

2) Stefan Elliott - I love Elliott. I still believe he has potential to be a top 4 dman but something tells me it won't be with this organization. Might not have enough room for him or use him as an asset in a trade.

3) Joey Hishon - So happy to see him healthy again (for now). Hopefully he gets some good minute and numbers for Lake Erie next year and can earn a call up during the year.

4) Conner Bleackley - Liked the pick. Hopefully they can mold him into a RW or just stick him at 3C behind Duchene and MacKinnon when he's ready.

5) Duncan Siemens - Hopefully he will also help the LHD problem and take a big step forward this year and hush the people saying he's a bust. Would love a Bigras, Siemens, Holden D corps on the left side.

6) Troy Bourke - Glad to see that he got his ELC. Will be in the top 9, probably top 6 for Lake Erie this year as a rookie. Should play the whole year there.

7) Will Butcher - Have no idea how he was still around in the 5th round, but glad we snagged him. Great offensive dman who can hold his own in his own end.

8) Sami Aittokallio - I think he's our best goalie prospect and can maybe one day step up to be Varly's backup.

9) Mason Geertsen - If Siemens does turn out to be a bust, it's okay; we have another one right here in Geertsen that can take his place. Same exact style of play but goes unnoticed.

10) Borna Rendulic - The exact type of player the Avs are missing. Big, skilled, RW, top 6 potential. Can see him putting up big numbers in Cleveland since he's already played pro in Finland.

Honorable Mentions:

Gus Young - needs to be signed
Calvin Pickard
Kyle Wood
Colin Smith
Nick Magyar

Old
07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Good idea, I'd like to see what others think.

1. Bigras: Talent and upside, Avs have big plans for him.
2. Bleackley: Easily our best forward prospect and best chance to make the NHL. Talent, upside, intangibles.
3. Siemens: Still believe in his skill set, talent and chance to make to the NHL.
4. Hishon: Talent is there but has to make a big step towards the NHL this year.
5. Elliott: Same thing, has to translate his talent to the NHL at this point.
6. Aittokallio: Best of our goalie prospects though argument could be made for each. I like Martin and Will has some curious sleeper potential. Don't want to rank more than one goalie. Aitto is the first call up.
7. Bourke: Very skilled, could show a lot in the AHL this year.
8. Geertsen: Growth last year, could be a gem in the making.
9. Smith: One of my favorites, does everything and very underrated.
10: Butcher: Great prospect, gets forgotten due to out of sight out of mind in NCAA. a lot of potential.

Old
07-05-2014, 02:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Good list Avsfan, I would replace Borna with a more proven player like Pickard or Colin Smith.

Also if the Avs prospect camp is 7 days (rumoured to be 7-13). I have a hard time beleiving that all of it is going to be taking place off ice. We might actually have some on ice drills

Old
07-05-2014, 02:44 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I do too, I don't see what point it is to invite non-property players and then not do anything on ice. Though they swear up and down they don't. Doesn't matter, unless someone wants to go down to Family Sports and stalk doubt we hear anything.

Old
07-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Foppa Frossa

I remember something about Sakic saying they don't want the prospects to compete with each other at prospect's camp.

Closed Thread