HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I do not miss draft parties

Old
06-27-2014, 10:43 AM
fsanford

vCash: 500
I do not miss draft parties

It was kind of like celebrating sucking.

I remember when Lee "hacksaw" Hamilton was on the panel at one of those King Draft parties. I think it was the one where we selected Aki Berg # 3. Man we had some really bad drafts.

The Ducks did send me an email inviting me to their draft party. Maybe I will go wearing my Stanley 14 sweater..

Last edited by fsanford: 06-27-2014 at 10:49 AM.
fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:51 AM
BigBrown
Fly at eleven.

vCash: 1250
The draft has an appeal of its own, I'm not gonna deny it. It's a bit like free agency, just a slew of trades and if you've got a good draft position reading into prospects and speculating is fun... but winning sure beats losing, that's for sure.

The playoffs is our draft

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I was the 2003 Draft party with Ziggy Stardust and a couple of our other friends. The food, games, prizes and overall experience was fun, but my God was the hockey ops just a disaster.

The Kings had Bob Miller on stage hyping Hugh Jessiman, who the Kings were for sure taking (thanks again Rangers), and then the whole trade timeout and Anson Carter chants. Could you imagine if the Kings had traded that pick to a team who actually drafted guys based on hockey skill and not size and they ended up using it on Perry or Bergeron.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I went to a few of those when I had season tickets. The last one I went to was at the brand new Nokia Theater in 2008. That was the year they drafted Doughty and traded Cammalleri. I remember watching the draft videos of Doughty and some other prospects and thinking "man, this is going to be at least a few more years before this team is good". The following week I canceled my season tickets. I couldn't do it anymore. I just remember thinking how awful it is that one of the few perks of being a season ticket holder was to go to a draft party and drink as many of those God awful margaritas out of machine that you could stomach. I think that is the only way people could convince themselves they were making a good financial decision by buying season tickets.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:19 AM
eleventy

Went to draft parties in 07 (DTLA) and 08 (Nokia). Entertaining for sure, but I don't miss celebrating the draft like it was our biggest accomplishment of the year.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
It was kind of like celebrating sucking.

I remember when Lee "hacksaw" Hamilton was on the panel at one of those King Draft parties. I think it was the one where we selected Aki Berg # 3. Man we had some really bad drafts.

The Ducks did send me an email inviting me to their draft party. Maybe I will go wearing my Stanley 14 sweater..
You should!

Do you live in OC?

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I was the 2003 Draft party with Ziggy Stardust and a couple of our other friends. The food, games, prizes and overall experience was fun, but my God was the hockey ops just a disaster.

The Kings had Bob Miller on stage hyping Hugh Jessiman, who the Kings were for sure taking (thanks again Rangers), and then the whole trade timeout and Anson Carter chants. Could you imagine if the Kings had traded that pick to a team who actually drafted guys based on hockey skill and not size and they ended up using it on Perry or Bergeron.
Don't forget Roman Cechmanek being at the draft party! The timeout being called was the funniest thing because that was one of the very rare occasions we saw it used on the draft floor, and it can be used to elongate trade talks. The Kings were just left scrambling after Florida traded up to select the player the Kings had in mind, Anthony Stewart. Goes to show you how unprepared the Kings' scouting staff was at that time. All of those picks and not a single attempt to move up.

The 2007 draft party was hilarious because when the Hickey announcement was made, everyone just turned their attention to The Hockey News mag that the Kings were giving out to find where he was ranked. Everyone was focused on Voracek or Alzner or Gagner.

The best draft experience though was at the Nokia Theater for the 2008 draft. First we hear about Cammalleri being traded, giving the Kings an extra first round pick in the top half of the draft (too bad it was used on a bum who we thought was going to develop into the next Adam Foote). So many of us were so relieved to hear the Kings call on Doughty's name due to the possibility of so many other names being potentially called upon, as the Kings had done so with their surprise pick in 2007. Thank God Lombardi and his crew didn't try to outsmart everyone and reach for another Hickey there.

My first memory of a draft party was one I didn't attend but I followed what those in attendance were saying, and that was the 1997 draft where the Kings selected Olli Jokinen 3rd overall. But what was getting more attention at that draft party were the crazy rumors floating around of Jagr being available and the Kings going hard after him for a package that included Aki Berg, Jamie Storr, the 3rd overall pick and a large sum of cash.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
The Draft parties and FF were the 2 events Kings fans looked forward too!

girl4kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4kings View Post
Now it's cups and Dave's cufflinks!!!

Old
06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar Milan View Post
Now it's cups and Dave's cufflinks!!!

Yes!

girl4kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 01:56 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben Kenobi View Post
You should!

Do you live in OC?
No, I live in LA county, I honestly don't know how I got on their list, I have had Kings season tickets forever, but I think during the dark years they started woooing King season ticket holders hoping we'd jump ship.

I guess they never took me off their list.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4kings View Post
FF is still a highlight. Never went to a draft party but I think televised drafts are fascinating. Fans cheer or boo some guy they have probably never seen play in person or know a tiny bit about them and just assume they know better than the scouts and the GM. When did fans become scouts?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tikkanen View Post
FF is still a highlight. Never went to a draft party but I think televised drafts are fascinating. Fans cheer or boo some guy they have probably never seen play in person or know a tiny bit about them and just assume they know better than the scouts and the GM. When did fans become scouts?
You should check out the NFL and NBA drafts and how fans react to those. It's even more comical.

Old
06-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You should check out the NFL and NBA drafts and how fans react to those. It's even more comical.
Especially Jets fans. they only know how to boo

Old
06-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Mitchnesses
Hunk of Monkey Love

vCash: 546
Forget the draft parties, I just need a nice draft brew to watch the draft.

Mitchnesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
I don't watch basketball but I did watch a portion of the draft. Always watch the NFL draft and the Jets fans are entertaining. I just think it's fascinating how fans have gone from I root for such and such team and I hope they win to I don't like the years and terms of Player X. You're not a scout, you're a fan. When my phone told me who the Kings selected in the first round I had no expression because I've never heard of the guy, I've never seen him play and it's not my job to have an opinion on how he'll pan out. You're talking about years down the road and a slew of intangibles that come into play on that journey. It's like standing next to the CA Lottery scratcher machine and cheering which ticket somebody chose to buy and booing another choice.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 06-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old
06-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Exactly correct. We went through all of those, as Kings fans, and they really just sucked.

06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Exactly correct. We went through all of those, as Kings fans, and they really just sucked.
Every year the Kings had the "steal of the draft" mostly because Taylor usually just took the highest guy left on the CSB list after taking the tallest guy in round 1.

Justin Papineau - Next Yzerman/Sakic
Yanick Lehoux - Next Robitaille
Mike Pudlick - Next Rob Blake
Joe Rullier - Norstrom's replacement
Petr Kanko - Next Claude Lemieux

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Don't forget the other Rob Blake to be, Paul Baier.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Olli Jokinen and Aki Berg were supposed to be these physically dominant players and were nothing of the sort.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tikkanen View Post
Olli Jokinen and Aki Berg were supposed to be these physically dominant players and were nothing of the sort.
You mean the Finnish versions of Eric Lindros and Scott Stevens? I think those reports were slightly off.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
You mean the Finnish versions of Eric Lindros and Scott Stevens? I think those reports were slightly off.
Can I go back and boo both picks? You stink! Hey Aki, take your rosy cheeks and go back to Finland!

Old
06-28-2014, 01:45 PM
yankeeking

I think being at the draft in 2010 was cool, getting excited when we made the trade to move up to assuredly get Etem and then the name Forbort was announced and while not as shocking as Hickey was it was a disappointment that DL didn't seize the moment and get a local kid who was highly touted......... but still going with in DL we trust....best part was booing the ducks' choices and when I listened to the commentary on the recorded version hearing the surprise in the voices of Mac and others that we had a real rivalry brewing with them

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

How good we have it now...

...bottom line is our scouting staff works harder than anyone else's and it starts at the top.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Every year the Kings had the "steal of the draft" mostly because Taylor usually just took the highest guy left on the CSB list after taking the tallest guy in round 1.

Justin Papineau - Next Yzerman/Sakic
Yanick Lehoux - Next Robitaille
Mike Pudlick - Next Rob Blake
Joe Rullier - Norstrom's replacement
Petr Kanko - Next Claude Lemieux
It's rather fun to talk about now.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote