HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Fitness and Training
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Fitness and Training General fitness, exercise, training methods, injury rehab, diet and nutrition

Home workout and nutrition to get Ekblad frame

Old
06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

vCash: 500
Home workout and nutrition to get Ekblad frame

Hey guys!

I wouldn't say I get jealous when I see Aaron Ekblad, but I do wonder why I'm 185lbs at 6'5''. I had a gym membership for two years but I never really went, basically because it's too much effort to get there (without a car), I'm that lazy. So if there was something I could do at home without any special equipment, that'd be much better.

I'm 17, 18 in a month, 6'5'' tall, but only 185lbs. Since I kinda play a grinder style and will most likely join an adult league next season, I'd love to get at least closer to an Ekblad frame. I'd like to gain at least about 15 pounds, but obviously in muscle, not fat.

Any advice to home workout and nutrition is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Desire means nothing without effort, so if you were lazy before you need to snap that and be persistent and patient.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:03 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Well I'm not THAT lazy, the gym is just kinda far away and it's hard for me to get there since I don't have a car. So home workouts would just be more convenient.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I'm 5' 10" and 110 pounds, I know how it feels.

Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I'm 5' 10" and 110 pounds, I know how it feels.
Damn dude I thought I was skinny. I'm two inches shorter than you and I have 30 pounds on you.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Hey guys!

I wouldn't say I get jealous when I see Aaron Ekblad, but I do wonder why I'm 185lbs at 6'5''. I had a gym membership for two years but I never really went, basically because it's too much effort to get there (without a car), I'm that lazy. So if there was something I could do at home without any special equipment, that'd be much better.

I'm 17, 18 in a month, 6'5'' tall, but only 185lbs. Since I kinda play a grinder style and will most likely join an adult league next season, I'd love to get at least closer to an Ekblad frame. I'd like to gain at least about 15 pounds, but obviously in muscle, not fat.

You won't make any appreciable gains at home with 0 equipment. Body weight push ups, lunges, squats, split squats, etc won't take you very far.

If you do have dumbells, a bench, etc. Presses, rows, weighted split squats, Bulgarian split squats, Romanian deadlifts, deadlifts would be a start. Get stronger in those. Work your back hard and legs hard. Eat quality protein every meal you can and eat a lot. If you aren't gaining weight it's because you aren't eating enough (or you have a medical condition, which isn't likely). The determinant of whether the food you eat goes to muscle or fat is determined by food quality, food amount and whether you're giving your body a training stimulus.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:42 PM
PurpleDrankNJ

Join a gym with the essentials or buy a power rack, a bench, a barbell and weights. For training try starting strength, Bill Starr's 5x5, or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. They are starter routines that will help you put on strength and size.

Eat a diet that will help you gain muscle and strength. I suggest about a 200-500 calorie surplus. Google a calorie calculator to tell you your maintenance calories and add 200-500. Increase calories when you stop gaining weight.

Take in 1g protein per lb of body-weight, for your weight I'd say roughly 60-75g fat, and the rest carbs.

So basically your macros would be

185g Protein
65g fat
XXXg Carb

Google a calorie calculator to tell you your maintenance calories and add 200-500. Increase calories when you stop gaining weight.

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Try this body weight workout. This is part one of an 18 week program. I only put half of it down here because it is very, very hard. I will definitely build muscle.

Running Schedule - Level I

WEEKS #1, 2: 2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/ week)
WEEK #3: No running. High risk of stress fractures
WEEK #4: 3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/wk)
WEEKS #5, 6: 2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/wk)
WEEKS #7,8: 4/4/5/3 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/ wk)
WEEK #9: same as #7,8 (16 miles/ wk)

Physical Training(PT) Schedule - Level I (Mon/Wed/Fri)
Sets and Repetitions

WEEK #1: 4X15 Push ups
4X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

WEEK #2: 5X20 Push ups
5X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

WEEK #3,4: 5X25 Push ups
5X25 Sit ups
3X4 Pull ups

WEEK #5,6: 6X25 Push ups
6X25 Sit ups
2X8 Pull ups

WEEK #7,8: 6X30 Push ups
6X30 Sit ups
2X10 Pull ups

WEEK #9: 6X30 Push ups
6X30 Sit ups
3X10 Pull ups

Old
06-28-2014, 09:22 PM
LeftTackle51

Quote:
Hey guys!

There are no ways to overcome a lack of work ethic. Too much effort without a car eh? You want to know what I was doing in prep for the CFL draft? I was training twice a day at times, and oh, I didn't have a car to get there in the morning. I would leave an hour and half early to catch the bus so that I would make it down to train for a couple of hours, to take the bus another hour and a half to school. Then I would go to class and finally take the bus home which was about 30m. On days I didn't have class I would go twice a day, busing in the morning, getting back around 12 and eating as much as I could before driving down again that evening. There was often traffic too so I would have to leave 40m early to ensure I got there on time.

You either want it or you don't. I would work 11 hour days in the heat, then scarf down as much food as I could when I got home around 730 at night, then head out for a two hour lift at 830. Not much time to do much else at home when you get back at 1030 and have to eat again to try and keep your weight. How did Ekblad get that frame? He probably worked his ass off.

"I'm that lazy" Then don't ask for ****ing advice.

LeftTackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 09:24 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You won't make any appreciable gains at home with 0 equipment. Body weight push ups, lunges, squats, split squats, etc won't take you very far.
That's not all he can do at home though. Pull ups, rows, handstands can help someone skinny bulk up a decent amount. Not as much as free weights but still something.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
That's not all he can do at home though. Pull ups, rows, handstands can help someone skinny bulk up a decent amount. Not as much as free weights but still something.
I suppose he may have a chin up bar, and he may be able to row different things you can find around the house. I was assuming no equipment.

He's looking at gaining 20-25 pounds of muscle.

Without the ability to progressively overload the muscles, that endeavor will stall out quickly. And he'll have to be pretty dedicates to filling up plates of food and filling them up properly.

I can get into detail if you want.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duir View Post
Try this body weight workout. This is part one of an 18 week program. I only put half of it down here because it is very, very hard. I will definitely build muscle.

Sets and Repetitions

4X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

5X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

5X25 Sit ups
3X4 Pull ups

6X25 Sit ups
2X8 Pull ups

6X30 Sit ups
2X10 Pull ups

6X30 Sit ups
3X10 Pull ups
He's 6'5 185 pounds, potentially pretty ectomorphic.

I promise you, all that running not only slows down progress in terms of getting bigger and stronger, at that frequency, it can make you go backwards.

Sit ups are terrible. If you want an explanation I'll give one.

Please train your legs.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:42 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I suppose he may have a chin up bar, and he may be able to row different things you can find around the house. I was assuming no equipment.

He's looking at gaining 20-25 pounds of muscle.

Without the ability to progressively overload the muscles, that endeavor will stall out quickly. And he'll have to be pretty dedicates to filling up plates of food and filling them up properly.

I can get into detail if you want.
Gaining that much muscle is already a big commitment and will take a lot of work. The way I see it, start slow with bodyweight exercises with stuff from around the house. If he keeps at it, he'll see some results and it will motivate him to actually start going to the gym.

Old
06-29-2014, 04:51 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

I promise you, all that running not only slows down progress in terms of getting bigger and stronger, at that frequency, it can make you go backwards.

Please train your legs.
I do the standard beginner bodyweight workout routine. It has given some decent results and I feel really strong.

1 minute plank, reverse plank, both sides plank, arch and hollow hold.
5 minutes handstands (hold as long as you can, rest, try again, for 5 minutes)
2 minutes l-sit (hold as long as you can, rest, etc...) - most likely at first he won't be able to get his feet off the ground.
3x6 push ups or diamond push ups
3x6 horizontal or vertical rows (I do mine off the kitchen table)
3x6 squats or bodyweight squats (if no equipment). Add on deadlifts as you get stronger.

Old
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Beginner gains. Also you "feel" really strong. Try squatting, benching or deadlifting and you won't.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Beginner gains. Also you "feel" really strong. Try squatting, benching or deadlifting and you won't.
That's the point. It motivates you to keep progressing.

Old
06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:

Please train your legs.
Yup, you seem know all. You have never done the routine and I have, so you are not in any position to speak on it. If you had done it, you not have poked your nose once again in something you have no clue on.

But again, you know it all so who am I to say anything right.

Old
07-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Hey guys!

Plenty of advice for work outs to do outside of a weight room or gym. And plenty more with nutrition. First off, Happy Birthday and if you have any more questions after this tour than feel free to PM me.

You can work out anywhere. A work out is essentially any physical activity that helps you grow as an athlete. I believe. So whether it is in your basement or garage or if its at a local school's park or playground or even an industrial area you just have to work hard and be creative.

The more you results you want to see, the more work and effort you need to put in. Plain and simple. There is not much wrong with just playing hockey all the time but you will see amazing benefits from doing strength/conditioning outside of that.

I love working out and being active but I also mostly like the idea of training in different styles. So I always look into different sports trainings. Hockey, Weight Lifting, Gymnastics, Body Building, Track and Field, Power lifting and whatever else. I read up and try to implement a lot of Crossfit ideas (which is basically just an open source for all of cross training routines) but I only have an LA Fitness Gym Membership and what ever I bought or asked for over the years for my own home gym (not much). I really rely on sports and creativity to keep my work outs interesting. I love to look at areas around me and see what I could do for a work out there, especially on the train to work.

This is what I do and maybe you can get some ideas:

(1) Home work outs
Not my favorite thing to do. Being cooped up in a room or house and working out but I do force myself to always do something. I pretty much leave my house work outs to stretching and foam rolling, some light things. But there are days where I also feel lazy or I am stuck in the house. So I force myself to do something. Push ups, Air squats and Ab work outs. Simple things that can make all the difference. If your really knew to this whole thing.... just try to do 50/100 of each. As things get easier, find ways to make them more challenging because that is the point of a work out essentially. Use your couches or chairs for incline. I one time use to lift the end of my bed as if it were a powerlifting session. It was really light and loud so I focused on form and did it slow. With push ups and squats. I would try to 25-20-15-10-5 of push ups and aim for 100 squats. Deep squats mostly but change it up for Sumo squats or half squats for differ feels. Sometimes I aim for 100 push ups and every set of 10 would be a different form. I like to also do Bruce Lee sit ups and Bike kicks. 10 Bruce Lee's with 100 Bike kicks will really make it hurt. My dad had a bendable spring bar that I would use at times and he had this incline bench for sit ups and that is a KILLER. 21-15-9-5 I typically aim to do even today because its amazing. Something along the lines of a GHD.

I also was very lucky to have a Dad and a Brother who are very into sports too. We would always wrestle and today my brother and I wrestle commonly. Hes heavier than me but less experienced so its really challenging. Wrestling is great work out so if you have a friend or whoever who can do that... try it. We would wrestle on a bed until we pushed the other one off fully. Or wrestle in the basement until failure. You can do 5 rounds for 3/5 minutes.

Or we would play this Sumo wrestling game... Commonly we would pass one another in the hallway or room and we would proceed to push one another to theother side. Winner is the person who took the opponent all the way or knocked him down. Great for lower body, core and to gain knowledge of body control and center of gravity.

I bought a med ball, 10lbs to throw around and do crunches with. I bought a pull up bar for inside so I can do pull ups. I would add heavy clothes to me for weighted PU or put a dumbbell between my legs.

Over the years my dad would bring me home some weights. 20's I have. I do some curls and presses with them or lunges. But I rarely use dumbbells. Find them kind of boring in a work out but I do tend to use them when needed.

Handstand push ups or handstand holds against the wall too

(2) Garage work outs.
Similar to inside... Yet I kind of built a very small work out room in there. I bought a really small crappy bench and bar set. Really bad but its useful. $50 bucks though. These helped me do a lot of stuff even though I can only max out at like 115lbs. I do mostly squats with it. Cleans sometimes. Bench occasionally. I like leg work outs more and stuff like cleans and squats that hit everything. Ive also put it on my back and walked with it.

I got my GF to buy me kettle bells. I wish I had a 20 but for now I have 1 and 2 poods. Havnt utilized them as much as I wanted to but I do use them here and there. A lot of swings. Just yesterday I did 200 swings American style. And maybe 100 more as Russian. They are better than DB because of its shape. I can do curls that hit my body much better. Raises too. Squats with them. And the swings is great.

I got plywood that helps me use for squats for incline on my heel. Saw Arnold do it once. Rarely use though. But try to add it in. I do deadlifts to with it.

I mostly like to do this WOD in my garage...
5 rounds of:
10 GHD sit ups
10 100lb back Squat
10 kettle bell swings, 50lbs. American.
10 box jumps (3.5' high on my wall outside)

(3) Pool work outs.
I have the luxury of having a pool. I love hydro work outs. Not just swimming, forward and back and doggy. Ill do breathing exercises in there. I will do resistance training like flys, curls, shoulder raises that use the water for resistance. High amount of reps. Killed it 2 days ago. Did like 150 reps of each. Also high jumps out of the water.

I also play a game with my bro. Kind of like 1v1 or 2v2 rugby in the small end where you have to throw a soccer ball into a goal. Kind of like water polo but you can walk and wrestle.

And even just working on diving helps with body control. I do muscle ups on the edge of the pool.

(4) Yard work outs
Similar to garage but this really gets me outside. I try to find something like wood my dad brought home. Or BBQ gas tanks. Kinda scary but I did shoulder shrugs and farmer walks with it.

This implies really anywhere too. I went to an industrial area one time and would deadlift or try to raise heavy objects. Throw them. Walk with them. Squat with it. Box jumps onto creates, wood or stairs.

Now that I think of it, Its really anywhere. I went to the State park the other day. Huge acres of woods land with a golf course on it, bike path and its used for cross country. I would do jogs in there, sprints up dirt hills of all differ inclines, find trees to lift and throw. Even some rock throwing I did. Pull ups on trees or inverse rows on branches. Climbing trees. Climbing huge hills. We even found a huge heavy log once and 1 of us could raise it and throw it. One time me and 2 cousins picked it up over our heads and walked with it for a while.

Track and field by me. I do jogging, stairs on the bleachers, sprints on the football field and track field. I do tire flips which they have in the back for football but I borrow them. They have a cool discuss setup that I want to do one day. Why not? Work on rotational control and strength? Amazing.

They also have soccer goals to play.

(5) Playgrounds
Have a ton of playgrounds by me, each a differ set up. My favorite one has monkey bars for climbing, swinging and pull ups or chin ups. Muscle ups I work on there too. I cant do a full one. I usually jump to catch my self and then finish it with a raise. I work on a lot of gymnastics here...

Kips. Yes I do kips. Nothing is wrong with it especially if you have pull up problems. Just remember that 1 pull up a few times is better than saying I cant do it. Or trying to do one is also good.

They also have places to do dips and box jumps.

A lot of this is repetitive but I pretty much had to talk about it. I wanted to show people that you can work out anywhere so long as you stick to some basics and be creative with what you have.

The things I really try to do in a weeks worth of a routine

1) Weight lifting
a) Squats (back/front/air)
b) deadlifting (normal, sumo)
c) Cleans - its a complex movement so start of small. Even with a PVC pipe or hockey stick. Great though for all
d) Snatches- Similar to Cleans. Watch on Youtube.
e) Jerks/Presses - ( differ grips)

I try my best to combine these when I hit the gym or in my garage with small weights.

2) Gymnastics
a) Pull ups
b) Dips
c) Chin ups
d) All other body weight exercises

Some days Ill dedicate just to WL and some days just to gymnastics... most of the time i like to combine it. Whether a super set. Or do squats first then pulls ups after.

3) Plyometrics
a) Sprints (1x a week I aim for)
b) box jumps I try to do occassionally

4) Pool work outs
Now That its summer... i try to hit the water whenever. Even at the beach too. Sand helps add more of a routine

5) Isolated/BB work outs
I dont like to focus my routine on one day legs and one day abs or whatever. But I try to add one session a day to isolated lifts like curls, presses, flys and machines.

6) Cardio
a) Row machine? I love it.
b) Bike. Get out and bike or use the machine
c) Run- I hate running but I try to do it here and there in a weeks worth. If I really really am lazy, Ill find friends to play soccer or bball and call that cardio.

Unconventional training
Look it up. My My mad methods or ONNIT.com

Fun stuff.

Just be creaive. Maybe start with basics.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Good post Thesensation19. Lots of good stuff in there.

Old
07-04-2014, 10:04 AM
sanityplease

Quote:

If you do have dumbells, a bench, etc. Presses, rows, weighted split squats, Bulgarian split squats, Romanian deadlifts, deadlifts would be a start. Get stronger in those. Work your back hard and legs hard. Eat quality protein every meal you can and eat a lot. If you aren't gaining weight it's because you aren't eating enough (or you have a medical condition, which isn't likely). The determinant of whether the food you eat goes to muscle or fat is determined by food quality, food amount and whether you're giving your body a training stimulus.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDrankNJ View Post
Join a gym with the essentials or buy a power rack, a bench, a barbell and weights. For training try starting strength, Bill Starr's 5x5, or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. They are starter routines that will help you put on strength and size.

Eat a diet that will help you gain muscle and strength. I suggest about a 200-500 calorie surplus. Google a calorie calculator to tell you your maintenance calories and add 200-500. Increase calories when you stop gaining weight.

Take in 1g protein per lb of body-weight, for your weight I'd say roughly 60-75g fat, and the rest carbs.

So basically your macros would be

185g Protein
65g fat
XXXg Carb

Google a calorie calculator to tell you your maintenance calories and add 200-500. Increase calories when you stop gaining weight.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Yep.

Ekblad built his physique in a gym on a strength program @ bodyx in Tecumseh. You can start with body weight exercises (although using an empty bar is better), but should progress within a few days/weeks to putting weight on the bar. If you're on a hardgainer plan, you'll likely need every calorie possible for adding mass, keep the cardio to a bare minimum (@ most). & EAT!

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 04:10 PM
MightyIgor

Quote:

Sets and Repetitions

4X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

5X20 Sit ups
3X3 Pull ups

5X25 Sit ups
3X4 Pull ups

6X25 Sit ups
2X8 Pull ups

6X30 Sit ups
2X10 Pull ups

6X30 Sit ups
3X10 Pull ups
That might be the dumbest program I have ever seen.

MightyIgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyIgor View Post
That might be the dumbest program I have ever seen.
Yeah it is pretty stupid. This program is used by some Navy SEALS to prep for training, the only omission being the swimming component. But yeah, I guess they don't know jack all about exercise so maybe you are right.

[MOD]

Last edited by Lapa: 07-06-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Not needed.
Old
07-06-2014, 12:09 PM
MightyIgor

Quote:
Yeah it is pretty stupid. This program is used by some Navy SEALS to prep for training, the only omission being the swimming component. But yeah, I guess they don't know jack all about exercise so maybe you are right.
I did a little looking into why the Navy SEALS might do such a silly program and it didn't take long to figure it out. They do it because they get tested on those exact things for BUD/S. They don't do it because they think it is the best program for getting strong or big muscles.

It's like studying for the SAT's isn't going to make someone smart, it is just going to make them better at writing the SAT's. They are training for specific skills that are critical for their career.

MightyIgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 12:23 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This thread seems to be filled with Jersey Shore-type guys who don't actually have any idea of what truly being in shape is but try to get a huge as possible.
Quote:
Pretty much spot on. Just got to filter through that crap because there are some real knowledgeable posters in the H&F threads but they get drowned out by know-it-all types. Jersey Shore seems to be an appropriate handle.
Ummm...

The op wants an Ekblad frame... Wants to put on 15lbs of muscle (he wants to add mass). He's not asking how to get fit. He has to lift heavy things to get bigger fast. Running 16 miles a day, or swinging on monkey bars, are absolutely not going to maximize growth. Unless you put someone on your shoulders, you will stop progressing very quickly with bodyweight exercises. The only 'crap' in this thread is the info which has nothing to do with the thread starter's question.

Do you realize that virtually every player in pro sports (contact) goes through a focused strength & mass phase until they are @ their desired levels. The Navy Seals program is a conditioning program. Those guys have already developed (grown) their bodies through hard work in the gym.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

I can tell you that the program adds mass, strength, and conditioning. Similar to an athletic program. If you don't believe me then by all means give it a try. Then feel free to insult that particular program.