HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

Old
06-27-2014, 10:58 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The only objective issue I have with this trade is that we didn't increase the number of consistent goal scorers on the roster. We shipped off our only consistent goal scorer (four seasons of 40 or more games, each of them 20+ goals scored) for an upgrade. Increasing the number of top end scorers still needs addressing via trade, FA, or hoping we get that next guy to step up (Jarnkrok? Forsberg? Sissons? Leipsic?) ... assuming that Smith doesn't drop off.
I agree with this. I have always maintained that we would have a good team when horny was playing on the third line. He is not top 6 but you need depth in scoring. While horny was not the top six player IMO we did not improve our depth yet. Still a good start in upgrading.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:01 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
The only objective issue I have with this trade is that we didn't increase the number of consistent goal scorers on the roster. We shipped off our only consistent goal scorer (four seasons of 40 or more games, each of them 20+ goals scored) for an upgrade. Increasing the number of top end scorers still needs addressing via trade, FA, or hoping we get that next guy to step up (Jarnkrok? Forsberg? Sissons? Leipsic?) ... assuming that Smith doesn't drop off.
Agreed but we improved. You improve anywhere you can.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

It's been stated already, but I'm going to say it again. Hörnqvist is a great guy but he doesn't have the speed for Laviolette's system, his passing is below average and his shot is worse than below average. He lived off Weber's rebounds. Neal has one of the best shots in the NHL, he's fast, big, hits, plays with an edge (can be dirty) and he can pass but usually chooses to shoot first.

Hörnqvist is the better person, Neal is the better hockey player. It's sad to see Hörnqvist traded but that trade just changed everything. Spaling is a dime a dozen guy and his departure opens up a roster spot for a kid with more talent.

If Poile can get a legit #1 center without losing an irreplaceable asset then Nashville will be a dark horse next season.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:05 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
Agree that we need to at least partially replace Horns goal totals but at the same time I was worried that Horns style of play was beginning to take its toll physically. Between Lavys new system and the injury potential Horns best days in Nashville were probably behind him

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:10 PM
PerdFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Why does Neal follow the Knoxville Ice Bears on Twitter- LOL?
Brother plays for them.

PerdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Yeah. I see what you are saying here.

My 2 cents as well:

Hornqvist is a goal-crease scorer and screener. The rest of his game is pretty terrible. Yeah, he works hard, but he is a weak passer, weak shot, average hands, average speed, below average defensively. He is a heart and soul guy because he takes a beating night in and night out, BUT, he truly is a one-trick pony. Frankly, his statistics this season are misleading as half of his goals came when we were eliminated and in the final 11-12 game stretch. I hate to lose him, but Poile made the right move. We need a goal-scorer. We acquired one partially due to circumstance and the cap not increasing as expected. This was a big move for David Poile that regardless of how it turns out, I appreciate as a fan. I consider this a win now in terms of value.

Well done David Poile. I'll miss you Hornqvist!

PS: It is going to be scary to see how many goals PH gets in Pittsburgh with those shooters and offensive dynamos!

06-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

I have to wonder if Webers productivity goes down without horny's help...

Feeling better about the deal, I just have really hated Neal his entire career. Now we is my thug... going to take some getting used to.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:44 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Ripped my heart out that Horny is gone. Hopefully Neal's goals ease the pain of not seeing 27 getting the piñata treatment and smiling about it. Good luck to you Horny and welcome aboard Neal. You better be worth it.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

As someone who has dealt with Neal professionally the past few years, he is not only one of the worst hockey players but probably one of the worst human beings I've come in contact with.

There's a reason why he has been traded for under market value twice now. I hope for you guys that Weber won't put up with his garbage, because he was a total nightmare in Pittsburgh.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
As someone who has dealt with Neal professionally the past few years, he is not only one of the worst hockey players but probably one of the worst human beings I've come in contact with.

There's a reason why he has been traded for under market value twice now. I hope for you guys that Weber won't put up with his garbage, because he was a total nightmare in Pittsburgh.
He definitely is one of the worst hockey players. I totally believe everything you said and am not the least bit skeptical.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:37 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Well good for you he is gone, you can rest easy now

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:

Funny, there's a bunch of posters who also know Neal and say he's a great dude off ice. Just makes stupid decisions on ice.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:46 AM
GreatjonUmber

Pens fan: I really don't know much about these two guys. Can any Preds fan bring all their upsides and downsides into one post?

GreatjonUmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:49 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

His last two years in Dallas, Neal produced at a 0.68 points per game clip. In Pittsburgh, he produced at 0.93 points per game, plus a 40-goal season in 11-12. If he splits the difference with Nashville, he's a 65-point forward - exactly the type of player the Predators were looking for.

I hate having to give up Hornqvist, but we still got the best player in the deal. Spaling was expendable after having a good season in a contract year with lots of prospects vying for playing time behind him. Ultimately, we didn't improve our scoring depth, but we improved the quality of the scorers we have. I'd call that a win.

Since Neal plays his off wing, it's also a right wing for right wing swap with Hornqvist, which pretty much assures an open roster spot on the right side in the fall (likely for Forsberg, but also possibly for Beck, Sissons, or maybe even Watson or Aberg).

I'd also expect us to go hard after Stastny to give him a quality center to play with. The last thing Nashville wants is to go through the effort of acquiring Neal and have no one better for him to play with than Fisher (no disrespect to Jarnkrök).

This deal goes some way toward addressing the team's needs up front. Good move by Poile.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:52 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ignore the unintelligent haters

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Nashville Transplant

Hey... We've got a reunion of the 2007-08 Iowa Stars! James Neal and Rich Clune!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:58 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
Hey... We've got a reunion of the 2007-08 Iowa Stars! James Neal and Rich Clune!
the true bash brothers

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Funny, there's a bunch of posters who also know Neal and say he's a great dude off ice. Just makes stupid decisions on ice.
''Know'' being a key word. People are usually nice to their friends.

Bottom line is that he's a pretty terrible guy. He has a frat boy attitude and doesn't listen and always had a smart answer for everyone.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:10 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:

Bottom line is that he's a pretty terrible guy. He has a frat boy attitude and doesn't listen and always had a smart answer for everyone.

Cool, you've said your piece

Now go

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:12 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:

We're well aware of the risks involved with Neal. If there wasn't risk involved, Neal would have cost much more...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:15 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:

this team needed a little less brown nose, its perfectly fine.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

For needs vs. needs trade, it's actually not bad. Net crashing, scrappy, tipping, etc. Hornqvist and Spaling who is the quintessential depth player with solid PK ability. PIT had the worst depth in the league last year; their 4th line was just unbelievably terrible. Spaling fixes that to a certain extent. Hornqvist will do well in my estimation; he has a unique skillset and is a pseudo-approximation to Tomas Holmstrom, one of the best net crashers ever.

Happy with the trade in short. You have to give to get and I think Poile did a solid job here.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:48 AM
DearDiary

vCash: 12866
Quote:

What the hell are you going on about? Everyone says Neal's a fun and genuine guy. The Pens players like him

The problem is with his carefree don't give a dam attitude. Tweets later today said his attitude was rubbing off on the younger Pens. I would say he's the kind of guy that just coasts through life and wants an easy ride. He wants to win, but do it without trying. He's 26, but still thinks like he's 18 years old and in college.

Anyone saying he's a horrible person knows nothing about him. I've talked to him and he always talks with a smile and likes people being cheerful around him. He's a decent person, but not someone you want in the locker room when you lose and definitely not as a role model to younger players.

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Pens fan coming in peace blah blah blah, you know the drill.

Neal isn't the monster he's made out to be by certain people, he'll have a lapse in judgement every so often and do something dumb. If you're expecting him to be out there trying to decapitate someone every other shift, you'll either be disappointed or delighted, depending on your perspective.

I think this is a good hockey trade that benefits both teams, I've always liked Nashville and I hope Neal does well for you guys.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:29 AM
PredsHabs

Did anyone else notice the comment by Dreger about other GM's upset about Pens GM not reaching out to them about Neal?

I thought that was interesting.

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote