HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

Old
06-28-2014, 03:38 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Did anyone else notice the comment by Dreger about other GM's upset about Pens GM not reaching out to them about Neal?

I thought that was interesting.
I don't see it on his twitter.

Where is it?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Smilodon

Us Nashville fans aren't allowed to be excited about anyone we get in a trade. Not Forsberg, not Järnkrok, and now, not Neal. Happens every time.

I see this as a total Lavy move. I think he told Poile "That's our guy" just for his system. That and Fiala, just two things I don't see the Trotz/Poile duo doing. I'm excited.

Smilodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:43 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I don't see it on his twitter.

Where is it?
Go to tsn under NHL it is on the video titled what's next for spezza.
Sixth video down right now

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:01 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Go to tsn under NHL it is on the video titled what's next for spezza.
Sixth video down right now
Thanks for that

It is interesting. But pens still talked to 12 teams about him

Rutherford obviously really likes horny and spals

Old
06-28-2014, 04:29 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Super excited to have James Neal!!

But I'm really sad to see Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling go.

I will really miss the nicknames of Horny and Spals to the Wall. I bet now when Horny gets his usual post-whistle treatment he will get the calls that he never did while playing here.

I hope we have someone that can replace Hornqvist's intensity and heart. That's the toughest part about losing him. As a Pens fan, I'm really happy that I get to keep liking them both!

I'm really shocked we didn't have to give up #11 (or any other pick) as well.

Welcome James Neal!! As long as he doesn't cross the line, he can play dirty all he wants, where has having good guys gotten us? Every team has someone that walks that line, just not all of them are 25-30 goal scorers. And if he's that much of a problem, Weber can send a slapshot to his leg.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:34 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
i like it.. i need a new one as well.. ideas...
PlaysWithJAM.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:42 AM
ozpensfan

I think this is a really good trade for both teams - penguins get someone who goes to tough areas and scores dirty goals with some grit and press get a sniper. Win win for both teams.

ozpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:43 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

And as to the PIT poster who asked:

Hornqvist is a poor man's Tomas Holmstrom.

Spaling is a consistent, young forward who was pretty much on the way to "20-goal scorer" territory, but had streaks of inconsistency.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:52 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post

Spaling is a consistent, young forward who was pretty much on the way to "20-goal scorer" territory, but had streaks of inconsistency.
Pretty much, I would say Spaling is a guy most coaches like because you can plug him in pretty much anywhere on any given night. While he won't put up goals consistently every night, he's not going to make too many dumb mistakes that kills you either.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 05:07 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:

I wouldn't say poor mans Tomas Holmstrom

Holmstrom didn't hit 30 goals until he was in his mid 30's. And only did it once

And he only hit 50 points twice

If anything they are equal, or I give horny the edge

Old
06-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Gudbranson44

Congrats guys on a great trade! Even tho hornquist is a good player, you got the better player, and I sure wish Tallon could have brought him to SoFla instead!

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Neal is what he is, we are getting what we are getting. An atrocious saint. Woke up this morning torn about it, but if we get the pivot to go along with him, I'll be really happy. If Neal is the piece that final gets Poile to get us a first line center, it is worth it.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 06-28-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Yueng a Ling
Rookie User

Thanks for the info on Hornqvist and Spaling. I've always liked Hornqvist, but didn't know much about Spaling.

Sad to see Neal go. I honestly don't know how much of this "locker room cancer" stuff is true or just media speculation. He always seemed to get along well with the guys, even if he could be a bit dense sometimes. I think part of this was definitely to shake up the room in Pittsburgh given that we have had disappointing exits for quite a few years now.

While Malkin certainly helped Neal's value, it's not like Neal has to have the best/second best center in the world playing next to him. When Neal first came to Pittsburgh, Sid and Geno were out and Neal didn't do much offensively. I think some people weigh that time period too much. It wasn't like Neal was still playing with a decent center - he was playing with Mark Letestu on a brand new team. I don't think any winger would be setting the world on fire given that situation.

He might not hit 40, but if he stays healthy and suspension-free, I can't see him potting less than 30.

Funny, just yesterday I started planning a trip to Nashville to see the Preds/Pens in October. This should make it even more interesting.

Hope it works out well for you guys. I like Hornqvist, but don't feel we truly got great value for what Neal brings. Some salary retained (unlikely I know) or a decent pick might have made me feel a bit better about it. I don't hate it, but I do wish the + with Hornqvist had been more substantial.

Yueng a Ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
PlaysWithJAM.
JAM session?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:37 AM
b1235c

Hey guys Pen's fan here. Just wanted to give you guys the head's up a few years ago Neal got a stick in the eye in the world championships and is blind in one eye. He can only play the right side not the left. Also you guys at first will love him he adds that goal scoring that very few nhl players can add. That said he didn't have the puck at all most of his goals involved Malkin carrying the puck and at the last second dishing the puck to Neal for the one timer. I hope you guys get someone like Spezza or Stastny to complement his game if not prepared to be frustrated. My final point is be prepared for Neal to take stupid penalties alot in the offensive zone and even on the powerplay he is weird because one second he's the reason the team gains momentum and then the next minute he loses momentum. That said I hope the trade works out for both teams good luck Preds!

b1235c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:40 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
JAM session?
How about Newcleus?

JamOnIt?

Serisously, if the Predators don't bust out some old school Newcleus, I'll be disappointed.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1235c View Post
Hey guys Pen's fan here. Just wanted to give you guys the head's up a few years ago Neal got a stick in the eye in the world championships and is blind in one eye. He can only play the right side not the left. Also you guys at first will love him he adds that goal scoring that very few nhl players can add. That said he didn't have the puck at all most of his goals involved Malkin carrying the puck and at the last second dishing the puck to Neal for the one timer. I hope you guys get someone like Spezza or Stastny to complement his game if not prepared to be frustrated. My final point is be prepared for Neal to take stupid penalties alot in the offensive zone and even on the powerplay he is weird because one second he's the reason the team gains momentum and then the next minute he loses momentum. That said I hope the trade works out for both teams good luck Preds!
I haven't seen any evidence of the eye thing online... source?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
yeah, let me return the favor.

Hornqvist is really a one trick pony, he screens the goalie and puts home easy tap in goals. He can't skate or stick handle, his shot is weak and his hockey IQ is pretty low. Defensively, he's average at best and can't kill penalties, mainly because his skating is bad. Thankfully he's a high character guy.

Anyway, if you let those sour grapes sit in the sun long enough you can use them for wine or raisins.

Spaling is a utility guy. I say that because he's really not good at anything but hey, he works hard. Good luck signing him to a decent contract though, he thinks he's better than he is, I'm guessing he wants 2m a season and he's really a 900k player. We have no less than 5 young guys that can easily replace him.

Hope the trade works out well for both teams.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
So he's a high scoring version of what we hoped Jordin Tootoo would be.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:52 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

A real-life undisputed 1st line winger? ... Gawd.... we just need a bona fide 1st line center to go with him (no worse than Spezza) and it'll blow my mind!!!!

(... with all due respect to an aged Petr Forsberg & Paul Kariya)

To have a bona fide #1 goalie, bona fide #1 dman, bonafide #1 winger and also to have a bona fide #1 center and a top-notch coach can go far with such tools!!!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:55 AM
GeauxPreds

The stick in the eye bit was clearly a joke about him only playing on one side.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Yueng a Ling
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
yeah, let me return the favor.

Spaling is a utility guy. I say that because he's really not good at anything but hey, he works hard. Good luck signing him to a decent contract though, he thinks he's better than he is, I'm guessing he wants 2m a season and he's really a 900k player. We have no less than 5 young guys that can easily replace him.

Hope the trade works out well for both teams.
I know you are being sarcastic, but sadly, it sounds like Spaling would actually be an upgrade to the crap we were throwing out in our bottom six last year. That says more about our lack of depth than his value to Nashville of course. If signing him means I never have to watch Tanner Glass take a shift again, I will be alright with it.

Ignore some of the more asinine comments. Neal is a great hockey player and Poile did well. Whatever issues Nealer might have don't seem to matter quite as much when he is winning you hockey games.

Yueng a Ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:05 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yueng a Ling View Post
I know you are being sarcastic, but sadly, it sounds like Spaling would actually be an upgrade to the crap we were throwing out in our bottom six last year. That says more about our lack of depth than his value to Nashville of course. If signing him means I never have to watch Tanner Glass take a shift again, I will be alright with it.

Ignore some of the more asinine comments. Neal is a great hockey player and Poile did well. Whatever issues Nealer might have don't seem to matter quite as much when he is winning you hockey games.
Yes, I was totally being sarcastic.

Spaling his a hard working player with good skills, not great but good. He's one of those guys that you can put into any situation and be comfortable with, even has a knack for scoring timely goals. He can kill penalties with the best of them. In fact at even strength he might be a better player than Hornqvist.

He's not a top 6 player (an inside joke) but on your bottom 6, he's exactly what you want. Very unselfish, very hard worker.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:11 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

About Hornqvist & Spalding

Pens fan coming in as stunned as everyone else. Folks on the Pens board are crying up a storm (which is nothing new) but I wanted to hear from you guys what to expect from these two players

Congrats on the deal. Right now it appears you got the upper hand...

Any insight on our new guys is appreciated

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
alexmanu

Hornqvist is a great all-round player, possesses the puck well and is very good on the boards and in his own zone. His best asset is screening the goalie, which he is invaluable to any PP unit. I think he'll put up a lot of pts if you put him on Malkin's line and the PP unit.

Spaling is a bottom six guy that can play all across the line and is decent on the PK. Also puts up a decent amount of pts and seems to score clutch goals.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote