HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014/15 Lineup????

Old
07-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
There are about 11 players on this roster I want on a 3rd line.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 07:15 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I'm guessing, Smith and Neal are the only 2 you don't think are 3rd liners?

I'd agree, but Jarnkrok is a top 6 talent.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm guessing, Smith and Neal are the only 2 you don't think are 3rd liners?

I'd agree, but Jarnkrok is a top 6 talent.
I'm not saying they are all 3rd line talents, I'm just saying I think a lot of these guys would ideally be on a 3rd line for lots of reasons. Vets like Jokinen, Stalberg, and Cullen aren't quite top 6 worthy, but they need to play with talent and can chip in offensively. So 3rd line. Guys like Jarnkrok and Forsberg would do well in sheltered minutes until they prove themselves, but shouldn't be on a 4th line, so they'd be 3rd liners. Other prospects are about to break into the league, like Beck, Aberg, Salomaki, and Watson, but they won't succeed with 8 minutes of ice time with Gaustad and Nystrom, so they should be on a 3rd line. Then add in a guy like Bourque who needs to prove himself on a 3rd line this year and it's just a mess.

Obviously they're fine in other spots, but in a vaccuum, most of our forwards would flourish in a 3rd line role IMO.

Old
07-08-2014, 07:25 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm not saying they are all 3rd line talents, I'm just saying I think a lot of these guys would ideally be on a 3rd line for lots of reasons. Vets like Jokinen, Stalberg, and Cullen aren't quite top 6 worthy, but they need to play with talent and can chip in offensively. So 3rd line. Guys like Jarnkrok and Forsberg would do well in sheltered minutes until they prove themselves, but shouldn't be on a 4th line, so they'd be 3rd liners. Other prospects are about to break into the league, like Beck, Aberg, Salomaki, and Watson, but they won't succeed with 8 minutes of ice time with Gaustad and Nystrom, so they should be on a 3rd line. Then add in a guy like Bourque who needs to prove himself on a 3rd line this year and it's just a mess.

Obviously they're fine in other spots, but in a vaccuum, most of our forwards would flourish in a 3rd line role IMO.
Agreed, it's going to be interesting and frustrating at times to see how this plays out.

Old
07-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Armourboy

Its going to be interesting to see what the coach and players do. This is a team that I think is way underrated but at the same time is in such disarray with the forwards that it deserves it. With the way a ton of other people talk we are the trash of the Central, but last years numbers just doesn't show that ( and lets face it, the team hasn't changed that much)

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:17 AM
MrJoshua

Looks like it's sink-or-swim time for Wilson. I've been high on his potential since he was drafted and thought he was finally putting it all together two seasons ago, but he took a step back last year. I was willing to blame it on rehabbing from the shoulder injuries early, but by the end of the year he should have been healthy and he certainly wasn't playing like it. I think they're going to be looking at him to step in Fisher's spot and produce. He has the size and physical tools to do it. Now he just has to get it done.

Losing Fisher for a chunk of the year (if he doesn't just go ahead and retire) will definitely hurt the scoring depth. If Poile doesn't make another move it opens up some roster space for a younger player, though, continuing the youth movement started last season. Right now I see the lineup as being something like this:

Neal-Wilson-???
Smith-Jarnkrok-Jokinen
Cullen-???-Stalberg
Bourque-Gaustad-Nystrom
Clune

A couple of pretty big question marks now that Fisher is out. Does Cullen move to center and Bourque bump up to the third line? Does Sissons stay with the big team and take over that third-line center spot? He didn't look out of place last year.

Then what about Beck? He's had a few games, but there wasn't a roster spot for him last season. There is now if he can claim it. Does he force his way onto the team? If he does, is he a third-line winger or can he send Jokinen down to third-line center and slot in on the second line?

And who is the other top-six forward? Does Forsberg make his way onto the squad out of camp this year and play well enough to stay up? Or does the team need to find another center and move Wilson over to wing? Will he hold up to top-line expectations? Will Smith keep his play moving forward from last year? Will Jarnkrok meet expectations, exceed them, or fail to live up to them?

I see this as a team that has potential ... but it remains to be seen whether that potential will be net. If Rinne plays like we all know he can and the defense continues to progress I think they'll challenge for a playoff spot if the offense is even middle-third in the NHL (ranked 11-20). If the offense can be top-half or even top-third in the NHL they'll be solidly in the playoffs ... but I think middle-third is probably a more realistic expectation right now.

Lots and lots of questions going into the 2014-2015 season. It's going to be exciting to see how it all plays out. Drop the freaking puck already!

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Persona5

If no more moves are made I think it could look something like this.

Neal/Wilson/Stalberg
Cullen/Joke/Smith
Bourque/Jarnkrok/Forsberg
Nystrom/Gaustad/Clune

As for our D it will probably look like this.

Josi/Weber
Ekholm/Jones
Volc/Ellis

Josi, Weber, Ellis, and Jones will get the PP time and Josi, Weber, Jones, Volc will get the majority of the PK time.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:27 PM
triggrman

I wouldn't sell Jarnkrok short just yet. He put up 9 points in 12 games in a very limited amount of ice time, heck, he was getting 4th liner type minutes and produced.

Old
07-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Tony Piscotta
HFB Partner

Austin Watson

Almost no mention of him on here but it seems he made a fairly successful move from center to wing last year. Wasn't that done with the intention of pushing for a roster spot this year?

07-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Almost no mention of him on here but it seems he made a fairly successful move from center to wing last year. Wasn't that done with the intention of pushing for a roster spot this year?
Projects to be a fourth line, maybe third line defensive center. Numbers aren't standout at the junior or AHL level. Would think if he was a guy who'd project to be a higher line would have broken out by now.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 05:55 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The age old question remains ... which of the kids is ready to step up this year, if any?

Jarnkrok looked good in his limited appearances ... but we've said that about players before. Forsberg came highly touted, but needed some work last season. Leipsic turns pro this season ... a lot of scoring in junior but how well can he translate that against NHLers? Can Fiala walk onto the roster from an 11th overall pick? Does Arvidsson's age help him transition immediately? Can any of our guys from Milwaukee make the jump for significant portions of the season and contribute this season ... Budish, Watson, Beck, Salomaki, Sissons, Moser (if he returns)?

Forwards of every style of play ... now if one would just approach the performance that led to their draft position.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 07-09-2014 at 06:24 PM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Hockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnberg View Post
Projects to be a fourth line, maybe third line defensive center. Numbers aren't standout at the junior or AHL level. Would think if he was a guy who'd project to be a higher line would have broken out by now.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cOcjorfy68Q

From the Admiral's website Watson video.

Last edited by Hockeyfever: 07-09-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Hockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfever View Post

Looks like a lot of goals from in tight. The new Hornqvist-type?

Old
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
triggrman

I like Watson a crease screen trashman.

Old
07-09-2014, 11:14 PM
hockey diva

I hope Sissons gets a shot. I liked what I saw out of him last season. Smart positionally, drives the net, big body.

hockey diva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
maplepred

Really, I would like to see these lines next season,

Neal jarnkrok smith
Jokinen Wilson forsberg
Bourque fish beck
Nystrom goose Watson
Clune/sissons

Cullen and stalberg are a waste of roster space IMO.

Who wouldn't rather see beck, forsberg, sissons or even salomaki in there over those two?
At least Cullen is done after this season, stuck with stalberg for a bit yet unfortunately.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:45 AM
PredsHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Looks like a lot of goals from in tight. The new Hornqvist-type?
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I like Watson a crease screen trashman.
Maybe that is what made trading Hornqvist a little easier to swallow.
Plays same style and he is a RWer like Hornqvist.
One plus is he is bigger than Hornqvist.

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Really, I would like to see these lines next season,

Neal jarnkrok smith
Jokinen Wilson forsberg
Bourque fish beck
Nystrom goose Watson
Clune/sissons

Who wouldn't rather see beck, forsberg, sissons or even salomaki in there over those two?
At least Cullen is done after this season, stuck with stalberg for a bit yet unfortunately.
I agree to a point about Cullen and Stalberg. There is hope however that Stalberg could play really well in PL's system.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Laviolette disagrees with you. Expect both to be on the 3rd line at least. Lavi won't waste either on the 4th line. We'll have Stålberg for a few more seasons. He was brought in to add offense. Trotz puts him on the 4th line because he's not a Trotz type of player. Stålberg fails, as most would. Why not put this guy in a position where he has a chance to succeed since we need offense?

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Laviolette disagrees with you. Expect both to be on the 3rd line at least. Lavi won't waste either on the 4th line. We'll have Stålberg for a few more seasons. He was brought in to add offense. Trotz puts him on the 4th line because he's not a Trotz type of player. Stålberg fails, as most would. Why not put this guy in a position where he has a chance to succeed since we need offense?
Not Trotz's fault that Stalberg lacks any finishing ability whatsoever. Playing him anywhere beside the 4th line would have been a waste of good ice time. You can blame it on Trotz, but Stalberg did himself no favors last season, he was terrible.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:28 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Not Trotz's fault that Stalberg lacks any finishing ability whatsoever. Playing him anywhere beside the 4th line would have been a waste of good ice time. You can blame it on Trotz, but Stalberg did himself no favors last season, he was terrible.
Every chance he had was from him creating on his own. Didn't finish enough but also had no help to get into more advantageous scoring positions. The prototypical catch-22.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:28 AM
tampa pred

I'll throw my guess into the ring.

Neal Wilson Stalberg
Bourque Hook Smith
Cullen Joke Beck
Nystrom Goose Scissons
Clune

Weber Josi
Jones Ekholm
Ellis Volchenkov

Pekka
Hutton

I think that Wilson centers Neal. How many times did Wilson set up players last year only to have them wiff, miss the net, or shoot it into the goalie's chest? Neal can fix this.

Stalberg has to be on one of the first two lines, or he is pointless. He isn't a 4th line grinder (really Trotz??) and is horrible defensively. Either he produces on a top line, or you buy him out. There is no in between.

Top two lines have a set-up man at center, a speed guy, and a shooter. Third line is all big guys that can wear down opponents while potting in some goals. Penalty killers on the 4th line to keep them fresh.

Unless Forsberg lights it up during preseason, he starts in Milwaukee. Scissons and Beck probably make the big squad.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Every chance he had was from him creating on his own. Didn't finish enough but also had no help to get into more advantageous scoring positions. The prototypical catch-22.
This. He needs to be on a line with a finisher. Not a checker/grinder. He creates his own chances, I think his problem is he's in such a hurry to "finish" that he over/under shoots, but when he has slow as molassas Gaustad as his linemate still half the rink behind him it's easy to understand why he feels he needs to go ahead and shoot. If he had someone on his line who could keep up with him the situation might be different.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
I'll throw my guess into the ring.

Neal Wilson Stalberg
Bourque Hook Smith
Cullen Joke Beck
Nystrom Goose Scissons
Clune

Weber Josi
Jones Ekholm
Ellis Volchenkov

Pekka
Hutton

I think that Wilson centers Neal. How many times did Wilson set up players last year only to have them wiff, miss the net, or shoot it into the goalie's chest? Neal can fix this.

Stalberg has to be on one of the first two lines, or he is pointless. He isn't a 4th line grinder (really Trotz??) and is horrible defensively. Either he produces on a top line, or you buy him out. There is no in between.

Top two lines have a set-up man at center, a speed guy, and a shooter. Third line is all big guys that can wear down opponents while potting in some goals. Penalty killers on the 4th line to keep them fresh.

Unless Forsberg lights it up during preseason, he starts in Milwaukee. Scissons and Beck probably make the big squad.
You make good points the big concern I would have would be the second line none of those guys play much defense and could set records for +- they would be ravaged by the Hawks, Blues, Stars, Ducks, Sharks, Av's, even the Nucks. I know we are all focused on offense and knowing Lavi's mindset he is as well but he also knows each line must have some balance or no matter how many goals they score they will allow more. I am not saying it has to be Trotz mentality of defense first defense second and when in doubt defense but they have to have some on each line. The issue is now without Fish Leggy and Spaling its difficult to create lines that have any balance. I would argue that the roster is more wonky than it has ever been when it comes to players that compliment each other.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Fair enough. Problem is, as we all are aware, this roster isn't the Blackhawks. Not everyone is going to be able to play with players that set them up and create opportunities for them. At some point, some of these guys need to be capable of creating their own offense and making the players around them better. IMO, owing to Stalberg's general lack of finishing ability, slotting him into one of those spots over a player that may have better hands/better shot is counterproductive.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote