HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014/15 Lineup????

Old
07-10-2014, 12:07 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I don't like the way Stahlberg was used period. He needs to be a transition player and Trotz didn't use him in transitions at all. He wanted him dumping and chasing, which IMHO is a complete waste of that type of speed. I want him carrying the puck through the neutral zone backing the defensemen up, that should create much more open ice, IMHO.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:18 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

vCash: 500
Neal, Wilson, Stalberg.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if that line succeeds, we will know for certain that it was Trotz, not the team.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:22 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Neal, Wilson, Stalberg.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if that line succeeds, we will know for certain that it was Trotz, not the team.
I believe this to be true as well.

Old
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 150
Quote:
Neal, Wilson, Stalberg.

Ditto

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:30 PM
tampa pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
You make good points the big concern I would have would be the second line none of those guys play much defense and could set records for +- they would be ravaged by the Hawks, Blues, Stars, Ducks, Sharks, Av's, even the Nucks. I know we are all focused on offense and knowing Lavi's mindset he is as well but he also knows each line must have some balance or no matter how many goals they score they will allow more. I am not saying it has to be Trotz mentality of defense first defense second and when in doubt defense but they have to have some on each line. The issue is now without Fish Leggy and Spaling its difficult to create lines that have any balance. I would argue that the roster is more wonky than it has ever been when it comes to players that compliment each other.
I thought Hook looked pretty good in the defensive zone last year. Didn't I read that he was killing penalties with Milwaukee? If you are worried about that line playing defense, what do you think about my 1st line? It is probably even worse.

Like you mentioned, the defensive make-up of our forwards has changed considerably. We had what- 7 or 8 defensively responsible centers in our top 12 last year? With the player changes (and coaching change), I think that we are in for a shock. Luckily we have the best D and goalie in the NHL and should be able to get away with a riskier style of play.

Living in Tampa now, I have tried to watch Lightning games. While it is fun to see the team pot three goals in the third period to come back and win, it is utterly maddening to watch the complete lack of defense. I am so used to the Preds defensive system, that I find the Lightning games unwatchable. Hopefully, we don't change this much.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Quote:
Neal, Wilson, Stalberg.

I'd actually like to see that line. Stålberg is not first line talent, but it would give him a shot to get his confidence back up and put some points up.

I'm biased though. I was always a fan of the Stålberg signing, and I still am. Hopefully we'll see him with proper linemates and an increase in production. I think he'll slot in on the 2nd line, not that there's much difference between the 1st - 3rd line here. Just keep him away from the 4th line.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
I thought Hook looked pretty good in the defensive zone last year. Didn't I read that he was killing penalties with Milwaukee? If you are worried about that line playing defense, what do you think about my 1st line? It is probably even worse.

Like you mentioned, the defensive make-up of our forwards has changed considerably. We had what- 7 or 8 defensively responsible centers in our top 12 last year? With the player changes (and coaching change), I think that we are in for a shock. Luckily we have the best D and goalie in the NHL and should be able to get away with a riskier style of play.

Living in Tampa now, I have tried to watch Lightning games. While it is fun to see the team pot three goals in the third period to come back and win, it is utterly maddening to watch the complete lack of defense. I am so used to the Preds defensive system, that I find the Lightning games unwatchable. Hopefully, we don't change this much.
We have potentially the best D and goalie in the league the team defense last year in goals allowed is not particularly heart wearming and while they sould make strides in that area they still have a very young d corps talented but not proven they are the best in the league yet. And Rinne will be the key I truly think he will return to form but I thought Wilson would be a 25 goal man by now as well. So we will have to see. But the loss of the better defensive forwards combined with the more open offense is going to have its challenges. Im not hoping for failure im trying to be realistic. If they somehow pull it off I will be great but theres a good chance the offense side increases goals but overall team defense allows more. It has been pointed out by more than me that its a concewrn.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:05 PM
tampa pred

Goals against last year was due to two things:
1. Pekka missing 53 games, and
2. Not having an NHL ready back-up.

I'm not pinning that on our young D who will only be better this year. I believe that Volchenkov will be a huge addition also. Our penalty kill took a dive after the Klein trade.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Be prepared for our GAA to be a little high next season. The system will be opened up and Rinne & Hutton will be left out to dry on a few occasions. Lavy's system is more exciting, but it's also more risky defensively than Trotz's system. Then again, I'd rather lose 5-4 than lose 1-0. Win or lose, I'm hoping for an exciting season.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Be prepared for our GAA to be a little high next season. The system will be opened up and Rinne & Hutton will be left out to dry on a few occasions. Lavy's system is more exciting, but it's also more risky defensively than Trotz's system. Then again, I'd rather lose 5-4 than lose 1-0. Win or lose, I'm hoping for an exciting season.
I don't think it can be much worse than last season. Trotz boring defensive system had us ranked 23rd in the league last season, 2.84 goals against per game. That's .7 higher than the previous year and we had Rinne that year.

For all the grinders we had, all the great defensemen we have, and the boring system we played, you think our games were all low scoring but they weren't, it just wasn't us doing the scoring.....

Old
07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
Goals against last year was due to two things:
1. Pekka missing 53 games, and
2. Not having an NHL ready back-up.

I'm not pinning that on our young D who will only be better this year. I believe that Volchenkov will be a huge addition also. Our penalty kill took a dive after the Klein trade.
Hey I agree it was a perfect storm, I took much ridicule last year at this time being critical goin into the year with Hutton as the back up. And I sure hope Rinne is back to form because he will be key in holding the team in every game. That has not changed one bit. But the defense last season was far the point is was to Sutratior moving up north. The have the potential to be even better and I think in two years they will be the best in the league. But that is only if the young guys continue to make strides forward.

With that in mind im pretty sure everyone accepts that under the new system the D will be even more offense minded and there have been a couple of them. Weber and Ellis who in interviews said that they were going to be able tojoin the O more often. Thats great for scoring goals, but it is also going to create chances for the other team for odd man breaks. The passing is still suspect no matter what anyone says sure that can be worked on but camp and preseason for one year will not turn that arround. The dip in defense ability of the forwards on the roster right now is very concerning as well. Rinne is human and without a strong defense in front of him he is veunrable just like any other goalie in the league. He will have his 6 to 10 shut outs hopefully but there will be nights im affraid he lets 5 or 6 in on a more regular basis, because of what is happening on the ice in front of him not because he is any less of a tender. And if he gets hurt again for any length of time theres big trouble. Korn made progress with Hutton that does not mean he is starting material. I am suspicious that setting behind Rinne he will not even be an adequate back-up.

Bottom line. It was a risk going 180 away from Trotz. Ownership and the fans wanted it. It is going to be painful watching this team make the turn arround. The team is not talented enough on the offensive side still has the basic glut of 3rd and 4th liners filling the roster. And fans hoping that the youngsters can step it up.

Old
07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Infinite Jest

Laviolette was the top coach on the market, he chose Nashville over plenty of other options. He must think he can make it work with this group.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
thecloser

Neal - Wilson - Stalberg
Jokinen - Jarnkrok - Smith
Cullen - Sissons - Forsberg
Bourque - Goose - Cluner
Nystrom

(still think Bourque has ALOT to prove...not really a fan, want him to succeed, just not a fan as of right now)

Weber - Josi
Volchenkov - Jones
Ellis - Ekholm

Rinne
Hutton

idk how I feel about it....kinda ok with it, kinda iffy.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:28 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Hey I agree it was a perfect storm, I took much ridicule last year at this time being critical goin into the year with Hutton as the back up. And I sure hope Rinne is back to form because he will be key in holding the team in every game. That has not changed one bit. But the defense last season was far the point is was to Sutratior moving up north. The have the potential to be even better and I think in two years they will be the best in the league. But that is only if the young guys continue to make strides forward.

With that in mind im pretty sure everyone accepts that under the new system the D will be even more offense minded and there have been a couple of them. Weber and Ellis who in interviews said that they were going to be able tojoin the O more often. Thats great for scoring goals, but it is also going to create chances for the other team for odd man breaks. The passing is still suspect no matter what anyone says sure that can be worked on but camp and preseason for one year will not turn that arround. The dip in defense ability of the forwards on the roster right now is very concerning as well. Rinne is human and without a strong defense in front of him he is veunrable just like any other goalie in the league. He will have his 6 to 10 shut outs hopefully but there will be nights im affraid he lets 5 or 6 in on a more regular basis, because of what is happening on the ice in front of him not because he is any less of a tender. And if he gets hurt again for any length of time theres big trouble. Korn made progress with Hutton that does not mean he is starting material. I am suspicious that setting behind Rinne he will not even be an adequate back-up.

Bottom line. It was a risk going 180 away from Trotz. Ownership and the fans wanted it. It is going to be painful watching this team make the turn arround. The team is not talented enough on the offensive side still has the basic glut of 3rd and 4th liners filling the roster. And fans hoping that the youngsters can step it up.
I think this is the first season where we have so many young players who could potentially crack the roster. Im not one to believe till it happens, but this is pretty rare that it could happen. I could see Fiala making it, if he works hard this summer, but I'm not holding him to any expectations other than work hard. This team is so hard to judge, there are so many "excuses" going around, which some are obviously true, and well others..

I think this season is going to be another borderline playoff team, with a guy who steps up to take charge of the offense (Wilson, Smith, Neal, maybe Forsberg). Not saying they will put up 80 points, but someone, I feel, will be a consistent threat out there and I really hope it's Wilson.

Just have to wait and see! Im just going to take this season as it comes

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

To me it's how the team looks on 4 holidays; Halloween, Christmas, Groundhog Day, April Fools Day.

As of now:

Neal-Wilson-Stalberg/Smith
Olli-Cullen-Smith/Stalberg
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Beck/Bourque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Beck/Bourque
Clune-?

Fisher will flow through the 4th and 3rd lines as he builds up his speed. A Nystrom-Gaustad-Fisher line will look sexy. As for people saying that the Preds would not be interested in Sharp. The guy would fit Lavi's system and we would be asking; Who the **** cares who's center.

Sharp-Who the **** cares?-Neal
Olli-Who the **** cares?-Smith
Stalberg-Jarnkrok-Beck/Bourque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Beck/Bourque
Clune- (Forsberg in Milwaukee to develop).

Based on the Fisher timeline, I say Jan 7th, I would like to see him in Milwaukee rehabing by December.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:22 PM
WartracePred

Stalberg doesn't impress me at all. Great speed, but that's it. To think he'll compliment Neal on the top line is wishful thinking. He couldn't produce in Chicago with the talent they have on their top two lines. I think he'll settle out on the 2nd or 3rd line. Wilson will start the season with Neal. Not sure who'll accompany those two. Don't be surprised to see Bourque on the 2nd line, barring more trades.

WartracePred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Stalberg doesn't impress me at all. Great speed, but that's it. To think he'll compliment Neal on the top line is wishful thinking. He couldn't produce in Chicago with the talent they have on their top two lines. I think he'll settle out on the 2nd or 3rd line. Wilson will start the season with Neal. Not sure who'll accompany those two. Don't be surprised to see Bourque on the 2nd line, barring more trades.
Wouldn't shock me at all to Stalberg up there, just because of his speed. Now that's not to say he will stick there, but I just wouldn't be shocked to see him given a shot there until he proves he stinks.

I too think Wilson is probably one of the top two centers, now once again, who knows if it will stick or not.

Bourque, who freaking knows. The guy had such a blah season last year that its hard to know what they will do with him.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
maplepred

Quote:

I agree with this, stalberg should be moved so we can put a guy like Watson, salomaki, beck, forsberg, etc on the roster. Stalberg was just one of four brutal offseason signings last season.

I will admit I have come around to nystrom but he still makes too much $$

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Montross
Favoritism.

Quote:
If Wilson is our 1C this team is in more trouble than I thought it was. Unless any other deals are made I expect Jokinen on the top line.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
If Wilson is our 1C this team is in more trouble than I thought it was. Unless any other deals are made I expect Jokinen on the top line.
Same thing can be said for Jokinen...

Last edited by Infinite Jest: 07-11-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old
07-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Armourboy

I think if if Jokinen is on our #1C we've got far worse problems than Wilson being there.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Neal - Wilson - Stålberg
Smith - Järnkrok - Forsberg
Cullen - Jokinen - Bourque
Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck/Salomäki/Moser/Sissons/Watson
Clune

Weber - Josi
Ellis - Ekholm
Jones - Volchenkov

Old
07-11-2014, 06:56 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
Neal - Wilson - Stalberg
Jokinen - Jarnkrok - Smith
Cullen - Sissons - Forsberg
Bourque - Goose - Cluner
Nystrom

(still think Bourque has ALOT to prove...not really a fan, want him to succeed, just not a fan as of right now)

Weber - Josi
Volchenkov - Jones
Ellis - Ekholm

Rinne
Hutton

idk how I feel about it....kinda ok with it, kinda iffy.
This looks ideal to me, but with Nystrom in place of Clune. Love the player and his heart, but he isn't really a regular rotation player to me.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 11:26 AM
triggrman

My problem with Nystrom is that he's a grinder that's terrible in the defensive zone. That shouldn't be.

He was our worst defensive forward last year. His physical play and offense don't make up for it IMHO.

Old
07-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Infinite Jest

I still think we should sign Ribeiro to a cheap 1 year deal. if he stinks or causes trouble, buy him out.

Neal - Ribeiro - Smith
Jokinen/Wilson - Jokinen/Wilson - Stalberg
Cullen - Jarnkrok - Forsberg
Bourque - Gaustad - Nystrom/Clune