2004 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 11:46 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
2004 Draft

I know most people here are somewhat disappointed with the 2003 Draft and I am disappointed to some extent as well. I do think we got some interesting prospects out of it, but passing up on O'Sullivan twice? Come on!! Anyway, i think next year we can try and make up for some of this years shortcomings.

Our needs:
1. Trade up and get a good solid pick in the top 10 for god's sake, stop settling for late first round and early second round picks.
2. Draft more physical stay at home defensemen(preferrably someone like Phaneuf).
3. Keep drafting sniper prospects in search of an heir for Modano even if this means taking a risk.
4. Trade away some salary for picks if at all possible.
5. Lastly, draft more Finnish players, why the hell not.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
1. Trade up and get a good solid pick in the top 10 for god's sake, stop settling for late first round and early second round picks.
Draft picks are going to be worth way more than ever this year because of the uncertainty about the CBA. If you want a Top 10 pick, I bet you it costs at least one of Kapanen, Miettinen, Morrow, or Daley in addition to a mid level prospect and a high pick. Not worth it at all.

Quote:
2. Draft more physical stay at home defensemen(preferrably someone like Phaneuf).
Why? They usually draft at least two stay-at home guys every year. They never turn out great because they're not top picks. We need defensemen that can skate more than we need physical D.

Quote:
3. Keep drafting sniper prospects in search of an heir for Modano even if this means taking a risk.
Agree here. I'd rather take a swing and miss (Polak, possibly) than play it safe (Crombeen).

Quote:
We couldn't unload salary this year; we won't be able to do it next year.

Quote:
Just draft the right Finnish players! Kilpelainen's behind way too many better G prospects. And I'm not sure what to think about Vainio yet. We should have taken Tuomas Santavouri in the 8th round instead.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
The reason I want more stay at home physical defensemen is to replace Hatch(Erskine isn't gonna cut it).

Old
10-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Looks like 2004 will be a strong finnish year (well at least lots of forwards, 2005 will have some talented d-men) with the likes of Jarmo Jokila (small but the most skilled player in the TPS system since Saku & Jere), Lauri Tukonen (forward, touted as the next Selänne, the saviour of Finnish offensive hockey likely to be a top 10 or even a top 5 pick), Pasi Salonen (F), Petteri Nokelainen(F), Mikko Kuukka(D), Teemu Nurmi(F), Mikko Alikoski (F) and Aki Seitsonen (F). One of these will most likely be picked in the later rounds by Dallas. I am hoping though that Dallas trades to get a top 10 pick to get Tukonen if he's still available there...

Old
10-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattihp
I am hoping though that Dallas trades to get a top 10 pick to get Tukonen if he's still available there...
The more time goes by the lower will Tukonen drop...

I wouldn't be surprised if Salonen or Nokelainen is the first finn drafted next draft. Tukonen's SM-liiga debut seems so far away and Nokelainen has already scored in SM-liiga.

BTW, Dallas Finnish scout is a former Ässät and North Stars goalie Kari Takko.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:07 AM
DiMo

Quote:
I know most people here are somewhat disappointed with the 2003 Draft and I am disappointed to some extent as well. I do think we got some interesting prospects out of it, but passing up on O'Sullivan twice? Come on!! Anyway, i think next year we can try and make up for some of this years shortcomings.

Our needs:
When you consider that the Stars traded down in the draft, they actually kinda passed on O'Sullivan 3 times. I remember at the time being severly peeved at this and the players they did pick. Especially, Crombeen. But then, I've been mad in the past too and some of the picks turned out to be good ones so I'll wait and see.

Closed Thread