HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE All Encompassing Jim Benning Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2014, 10:16 AM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I see people saying "We should have got the 10th" or "We should have traded up to the 1st" but honestly, there are two teams in those deals and if the other team doesn't want to play ball, we can't force them to.
bob murray and kesler's agent sure figured out how to force benning to play ball.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Proto

Vey trade is good, every draft pick ranges from average to completely awful, and yeah. Good stuff. Linden has sure earned a lot of good will with some of you :|

Old
06-28-2014, 10:20 AM
gobi

One thing I can say about Benning, he's not afraid to make moves.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Vey trade is good, every draft pick ranges from average to completely awful, and yeah. Good stuff. Linden has sure earned a lot of good will with some of you :|
Yet outside this board, the Canucks were seen as 'winners' on draft day. Outisde this board, the word is Benning did good on the Kesler trade.

Benning came in, cleared out a malcontent for the best return he could get when negotiating with 1 team, has opened up cap flexibility and brought in a bunch of young forwards to an organization starved for young talent and quality.

We won't know what type of eye for talent Benning has a while yet. He could hit on a lot of these guys, we just don't know...

Old
06-28-2014, 10:37 AM
F A N

Bonino had more PP points than Corey Perry. Really hope he can be a 20+ goal 50+ point 2nd line center, but he's a guy that can apparently play on any line.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:49 AM
SweedishKeepers

Can somebody post their idea of a 2014-2015 lineup?

Old
06-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yet outside this board, the Canucks were seen as 'winners' on draft day. Outisde this board, the word is Benning did good on the Kesler trade.

Benning came in, cleared out a malcontent for the best return he could get when negotiating with 1 team, has opened up cap flexibility and brought in a bunch of young forwards to an organization starved for young talent and quality.

We won't know what type of eye for talent Benning has a while yet. He could hit on a lot of these guys, we just don't know...
Islanders drafted MDC and Ho Sang- very good 1st round for for them.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:25 AM
yoss

Will reserve judgment until we see how everything shakes out, which won't be for awhile yet. I will say however that I admire Benning's proactive approach, he doesn't seem shy to begin implementing his vision. Whether that vision comes to fruition or crumbles to dust is another matter, but I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid or hesitant to build the team he wants that he believes will win. He's certainly seems to be doing just that right out of the gates.

Not a lot of players I'm thrilled about available in free agency, so a little nervous about that. Would love Iginla on the team for a year or two though, so happy to hear they have interest in him.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:29 AM
polarbearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
Will reserve judgment until we see how everything shakes out, which won't be for awhile yet. I will say however that I admire Benning's proactive approach, he doesn't seem shy to begin implementing his vision. Whether that vision comes to fruition or crumbles to dust is another matter, but I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid or hesitant to build the team he wants that he believes will win. He's certainly seems to be doing just that right out of the gates.

Not a lot of players I'm thrilled about available in free agency, so a little nervous about that. Would love Iginla on the team for a year or two though, so happy to hear they have interest in him.
Where was that reported? The interest in iggy.

I would be in favour of singing Iginla. He proved last year he's still a good player. Could be a good mentor for Jensen , kassian.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:32 AM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearcub View Post
Where was that reported? The interest in iggy.

I would be in favour of singing Iginla. He proved last year he's still a good player. Could be a good mentor for Jensen , kassian.
Don't remember specifically tbh, some thread on hf or another. Maybe it was speculation but it sounded legit at the time I read it though my memory is vague.

Yeah he would be a great mentor, plus with Linden/change of scenery/no Kesler, I wonder if that increases the likelihood he would consider coming to Van.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:35 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I made a similar post earlier. Outside of this board we were considered to have had a very good first draft day with our picks and Kesler trade. That is saying a lot because the usual theme around the main boards is that of negativity towards our club.

I think people in general are scared of change and refuse to accept it no matter what. This team was stale and needed to make changes. We needed to get bigger, faster, and younger while shedding salary. GMJB has done just that.

We won't know how good or bad these moves are until years down the road. The bottom line is that change was needed and we got exactly that.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
People are going to complain either way.

If Benning did nothing and staid put, "What a bum, should have kept Gillis".

Benning makes a number of moves but ones not to people's unrealistic expectations, "Guy's a bum, should have kept Gillis".

I don't have high expectations for this team next year and that's fine with me because I want a high pick in 2015 anyway.

Old
06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
polarbearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Bit Outside View Post
People are going to complain either way.

If Benning did nothing and staid put, "What a bum, should have kept Gillis".

Benning makes a number of moves but ones not to people's unrealistic expectations, "Guy's a bum, should have kept Gillis".

I don't have high expectations for this team next year and that's fine with me because I want a high pick in 2015 anyway.
What I want next year:

Sedins bounce back to ppg players.

Get a push from some young guys.

Kassian , Jensen , Tanev , corrado develop

Make a wild card spot. Be underdogs and have fun watching hockey again.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:02 PM
yoss

Excuse the comparison for you non-ball fans, but ideally I'd like to see the Nucks become the hockey version of the San Antonio Spurs. Favorite sports moment of 2014 so far was watching them steamroll the Heat by huge point margins in 5 games. Just a beautiful thing to behold. The best basketball I've probably ever witnessed. Consistently a contender, year in year out. Character guys who buy into the team concept. Hopefully Willie becomes our Gregg Popvich.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:05 PM
vanwest

I don't mind criticism of moves .
But we were the 6th worst team in the entire NHL . Changes were needed.

I was surprised after reading all the negativity here to go on the main board and see so much positive feelings from other teams fans on the Canucks. A lot of fans think we had one of the best drafts. That's two years in a row now.

Our prospect pool looks to be finally hitting the upper half. One more good year of drafting after this and hanging onto our picks should put us with a solid base to build on.

Also lots of cap room this year and with a few teams like Boston and Chicago up against the cap we may be able to pick up some good players for a cheap price.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Had to get that 10th out of Anaheim. We made a divisional rival stronger now and in the future and that is unacceptable.
Just like Kes said, we're 3 or 4 years away from rivaling with them anyways.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Just like Kes said, we're 3 or 4 years away from rivaling with them anyways.
Anaheim has a deep prospect pool with many blue chip prospects, coupled with the 10th overall this year. I think Anaheim is going to be good for a long time. Would have been nice to put a dent in that prospect pool.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:16 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Anaheim has a deep prospect pool with many blue chip prospects, coupled with the 10th overall this year. I think Anaheim is going to be good for a long time. Would have been nice to put a dent in that prospect pool.
If we're in line for a top 5 pick in next years draft....our pool is insane.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I love the direction this franchise is headed. In two days we've gotten significantly younger and continued to stock a prospect pool that was only a couple years ago one of the worst and is now middle of the pack and improving.

I see the plan these guys are executing and I like it.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I miss Gillis

Old
06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
vanwest

Quote:
They'll take a big step back when Perry and Getzlaf regress. You can't replace those guys.

Old
06-28-2014, 12:21 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Imagine this for a second:

Virtanen-McDavid-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen

One can dream.

Old
Shareefruck

We had an opportunity to get a GREAT haul with the draft, IMO. Alot of fallers landing on our lap and us passing up on them.

1. Virtanen
1. Ritchie (if we went after the 10th overall instead of Bonino)
1. Barbashev
2. Demko
2. McKeown
3. ?? Somebody help me out here
5. Forslin

That would have been amazing, IMO. Would fill every prospect hole.

I like some of the moves, but still a missed opportunity, IMO.

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
They'll take a big step back when Perry and Getzlaf regress. You can't replace those guys.
Not replace them but the Ducks certainly seem to have had a good scouting department for a while (as well as developing such prospects).

Old
06-28-2014, 12:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not replace them but the Ducks certainly seem to have had a good scouting department for a while (as well as developing such prospects).
Agreed. They'll be a good team for quite a while. I think their window is about three years to compete for a cup though.

Closed Thread