HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE All Encompassing Jim Benning Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
Don't like Benning so far, and as much as I'm a Trevor Linden fan...I'm not a fan of his Presidency thus far. Only thing I've liked is the coaching hire.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:09 PM
VanillaCoke

vCash: 50
The only thing I'll give Benning credit for is trying to move up to #1. That's it.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweedishKeepers View Post
Can somebody post their idea of a 2014-2015 lineup?
I'd look at this.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Grabovski - Burrows
Vey - Bonino - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa/Stanton - Corrado

Lack/Miller/Hiller

Grabovski isn't much of a downgrade from Kesler at this point. Both can handle hard minutes, and produce in the 40-50 point range. This team probably finishes around the same spot as last year, so we get a fairly high pick in a good draft.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:16 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
They'll take a big step back when Perry and Getzlaf regress. You can't replace those guys.
smart drafting team with a good developmental system. lost pronger and niedermayer and remained contenders.

lindholm, ritchie, etem, vaatanen, smith-pelly, and whoever else populates their next push may or may not develop into MVP candidates/winners like perry/getzlaf or pronger/niedermayer, but i think anaheim will be fine.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Grabovski is an immense downgrade from Kesler, come on...

Old
06-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Grabovski is an immense downgrade from Kesler, come on...
Both are 45/50 point player who can handle defensive assignments. Kesler is obviously better, but it isn't by THAT much.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Krnuckfan

This regime is what it is...a bunch of nice guys no doubt, but dumber than a sack of potatoes.
The canucks are the new Calgary Flames..except even worse. They don't have a single creative offensive player in the entire system outside of the Sedins. It's okay tho, they have a whole bunch of big canadian boys with heart who's just gonna will their way to the cup because they really "want" it. Gonna be fun to see this team struggling to score 200 goals year after year.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:26 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
Both are 45/50 point player who can handle defensive assignments. Kesler is obviously better, but it isn't by THAT much.
Im not about to call Kesler a 40-50 point guy yet when he proved he's a 70-75 guy on a well oiled team. On our piece of **** team with awful line mates, yes, he was a 45 point guy.

He's also bigger, tougher, and far better at shadowing opponents than Grabovski.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Im not about to call Kesler a 40-50 point guy yet when he proved he's a 70-75 guy on a well oiled team. On our piece of **** team with awful line mates, yes, he was a 45 point guy.

He's also bigger, tougher, and far better at shadowing opponents than Grabovski.
Kesler has not scored 70 points in 4 years. Do you still consider the Sedins 100 point players? The linemate argument would be apt if Kesler's production was head and shoulders above his linemates, but that isn't that case Chris Higgins scored 7 more even strength points then Ryan Kesler.

Kesler is bigger and tougher, I will easily give you that. Defensively, at this point it's actually close both can handle tough minutes.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Edo
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
I'd look at this.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Grabovski - Burrows
Vey - Bonino - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa/Stanton - Corrado

Lack/Miller/Hiller

Grabovski isn't much of a downgrade from Kesler at this point. Both can handle hard minutes, and produce in the 40-50 point range. This team probably finishes around the same spot as last year, so we get a fairly high pick in a good draft.
We had a worse roster laster year IMO and were expected to make the playoffs and finish behind LAK, ANA, SJ, CHI. No reason we shouldn't finish 6th-8th in the West me thinks. With the Sedin's and some form of actual coaching, no way do Vancouver miss the playoffs.

Goalies aside, looking at that roster, there is no reason we shouldn't push for home ice. With Grabovski of course, or an equivalent centre. Last year we had Dalpe, Welsh, Sestito, Schroeder, Lain, and Archibald play. None are solid NHL'ers, at least not yet.

What Benning/Linden/Willie do with the 2nd line will really show us what their plans are. If they let Horvat/Gaunce step in somewhere pushing people up, which they should do, then we'll finish with a nice draft pick. If they go out and add somebody, then we are competing.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Jimson Hogarth*

vCash: 395
I like that Benning is drafting out of the WHL, don't like that the WHL scouts are the same **** ups as before.

I doubt we sign Grabvski I think he stays out east. My guess is Columbus.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Dissonance

Some interesting tidbits from Botchford on Twitter (don't know why he doesn't just put this stuff in the paper).

-- Benning is likely to start revamping the scouting staff, has to wait for contracts to expire first.

-- Kesler was getting ready to narrow his trade list again. Sedins are "ecstatic" that Kesler's gone.

-- Most of the "old guard" in management wanted to hang on to Kesler. Benning was alone in wanting to trade him and move on.

-- Canucks likely to keep Burrows around.

-- Gradin "loves" Nylander and was "torn" we didn't take him.

No idea whether any of this is true. I do like the sound of "gutting" the scouting staff, though.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:01 PM
rikki05
Why so serious?

I like what Benning has done so far! This team needed a shakeup and fresh look. That has been accomplished IMO. Maybe not what we'd all thought we would get in return but it is what it is. To me i am excited to see how the next few years now play out. Can't say Benning hummed/hawed and missed the boat like MG.. He made a decision and moved on it. Good job so far

Old
06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
No, the complaining is ridiculous. What did you want to happen here? We traded Kelser even after he handcuffed us. We got the best we could(Anaheim was NOT budging on the 10th overall pick). We cleared a bunch of cap space with Garrison. We didn't see the farm for first overall (Florida's asking price was ridiculous) and we drafted a 17 year old that scored 45 goals last season that also happens to be local and another kid who dropped a bunch and we grabbed him. Seriously what do people want to happen right now?

I see people saying "We should have got the 10th" or "We should have traded up to the 1st" but honestly, there are two teams in those deals and if the other team doesn't want to play ball, we can't force them to. I get that this is alot of change all at once for some people but really, Free Agency hasn't even started yet. Isn't it early to throw the brand new President(WHO'S NOT EVEN THE GM SO THESE WEREN'T HIS CALLS ANYWAY) under the bus?
Then you strong arm Kesler by saying you are prepared to go into the season with him on the roster unless he expends his list. Even if there was a mutual agreement this was all a ruse to entice other teams into the fold, with the hope of scaring Chicago or Anaheim into offering more. The mistake Benning made was allowing Anaheim to completely dictate the trade. They used the Luongo situation as a bargaining position to strengthen their side (as did Kesler) and Benning refused to play hardball enough to dissuade that notion.

Now I do not necessarily hate the trade, but we are wholly reliant on Bonino's breakout not being at the behest of his Duck linemates - a tall order really.

Gifting away Garrison was utterly abysmal however. In a free agency market with scarcely any defensemen to be found, we handed one over to Tampa as little more than a cap dump. What I find baffling is Benning supposedly pushed Garrison to waive, despite his reluctancy. Where was this obstinacy with Kesler?

I have no qualms on us not bending to Florida's demands or drafting Virtaten, but I just do not feel Benning did enough in either trade.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Johnny Canuck

The prospect we got at 24, could end up better than the prospect Ducks got at 10. Just something to chew on. Next It would be a mistake to sign any free agents right now, getting a top 3 pick in next year's draft would do wonders for this organization. That has to be this organization's goal this coming season. Also none of the Free agents excite me that much anyways.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
No idea whether any of this is true. I do like the sound of "gutting" the scouting staff, though.
Watch Benning fire Gradin and keep on everyone else.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Ninebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Then you strong arm Kesler by saying you are prepared to go into the season with him on the roster unless he expends his list. Even if there was a mutual agreement this was all a ruse to entice other teams into the fold, with the hope of scaring Chicago or Anaheim into offering more. The mistake Benning made was allowing Anaheim to completely dictate the trade. They used the Luongo situation as a bargaining position to strengthen their side (as did Kesler) and Benning refused to play hardball enough to dissuade that notion.

Now I do not necessarily hate the trade, but we are wholly reliant on Bonino's breakout not being at the behest of his Duck linemates - a tall order really.

Gifting away Garrison was utterly abysmal however. In a free agency market with scarcely any defensemen to be found, we handed one over to Tampa as little more than a cap dump. What I find baffling is Benning supposedly pushed Garrison to waive, despite his reluctancy. Where was this obstinacy with Kesler?

I have no qualms on us not bending to Florida's demands or drafting Virtaten, but I just do not feel Benning did enough in either trade.
Seems like Benning and Kesler's agent butted heads often, so it looks like he did try to loosen up Ryan's demands.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:31 PM
tc 23
#GaunceForGM

vCash: 77
Quote:

I agree.

I wasn't sold on the Linden/Benning hires but reserved judgement until they made moves and I've been fairly disappointed by them. That being said, it's still very early in their tenure with the club. They deserve to have time to implement more parts of their plan before fully making judgement.

06-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:

Word is Kesler wouldn't have reported to camp if not traded. Kesler had a two team list, one of the teams had minimal interested. Benning asked Kesler countless times to expand his list, he talked to Kesler's agent twice a day. Not much else could have been done IMO.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Word is Kesler wouldn't have reported to camp if not traded. Kesler had a two team list, one of the teams had minimal interested. Benning asked Kesler countless times to expand his list, he talked to Kesler's agent twice a day. Not much else could have been done IMO.
Sit on him....let him sit at home and rot.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Sit on him....let him sit at home and rot.
I'd rather pick up assets....

Old
06-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Johnny Canuck

Quote:

Canucks wanted Garrison out one way or another. He was only willing to go to Montreal or Tampa. I don't see why this is so confusing to grasp. He's not that good of a Dman anyway. There was talk about buying him out earlier this season, instead canucks flipped that for a Linden Vey who has some promise.

I do feel Kesler got the better of the Canucks, he should have forced Kesler to give the canucks more options.

Old
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Some of the posts here are interesting to say the least. Benning walked into a crappy situation. Kesler was turning toxic and wanted out, Gillis blew it not dealing him at the deadline and Kesler then reduces the number of teams to two with one of those in cap jail. Garrison is a slow, passive, mediocre at best puckhandling, inaccurate shooting number 5 defenseman with a $4.6 million cap hit for 4 more years and armed with a NTC.

He turned these guys into 5 legitimate assets. Haven't seen Bonino play much but he did outproduce Kesler, was a fairly prominent player on a far superior team and Ducks' fans seem pretty sorry to see him go.

Sbisa was a former 1st rounder, traded in a Pronger deal, and despite a setback this year is still 5 years younger than the guy he's essentially replacing and half the cost cap wise.

McCann was rated around the 15 mark, they got him at 24, and is at least another decent young asset added into what has been a pretty limited Canucks prospect pool.

Dorsett is a terrific 4th liner I always wanted to see here given his tenacity and toughness, he's cheap and an upgrade over what they've had there the last few years, and Desjardins will likely get the most out of him given their history together.

I never paid any attention to him but Vey was very well developed by the Kings and some of their fans feel he was just a victim of being on a deep team and are suggesting he'll be a player for the Canucks. He too has a very positive history with the coach.

Anyway, 5 younger, very usable assets while getting out from under 2 NTCs and freeing up significant cap space. How anybody can take issue with what Benning's done is beyond me.

Old
Olandsns

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Statsny (he's young -give him what it takes)- Vey
Higgins- Bonino - Kassian
Sestito - Matthias - Dorsett

Richardson - keep
Hansen - trade for a pick - 3rd?

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa- Stanton/Corrado

Weber - keep

miller #1 -3 years max
Lack

Think you still have money to explore a second liner but I don't like what's out there.
I like vanek as 2LW but depends on term and price.
Jensen might be a stretch but he needs to be there soon or never .

Old
06-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I'd rather pick up assets....
You can still get assets once he caves.

Closed Thread