HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ivan Barbashev 33rd overall

Old
06-29-2014, 11:51 AM
tfriede2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
wow, he is really good. Can't believe he was there at 33. He should have went top 15. I like what the scouts say about his compete level. He reminds me of Tarasenko a little. Maybe not as dynamic, but close. He and Fabbri were unreal steals at 21 and 33. I was reading some teams message boards who were drafting from around 10-20 and they all mentioned they wanted Fabbri and Barbashev.
From what I have seen, he actually reminds me of Oshie, but with better skating and less of an offensive ceiling. He just seems to be a really good all-around, gritty, physical, power forward with playmaking ability and leadership. Seems to me like he's a good bet to be a 3rd liner with top 6 potential (that is, his floor is a 3rd liner, which is why I'm perplexed that he fell as far he did).

I saw pictures of him with Jaskin at the draft, and my God, Jaskin looks gargantuan - he just needs to work on his skating, and he has a chance to dominate. I really really hope Barbashev and Jaskin reunite on a line someday. They would drive opponents crazy.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
From what I have seen, he actually reminds me of Oshie, but with better skating and less of an offensive ceiling. He just seems to be a really good all-around, gritty, physical, power forward with playmaking ability and leadership. Seems to me like he's a good bet to be a 3rd liner with top 6 potential (that is, his floor is a 3rd liner, which is why I'm perplexed that he fell as far he did).

I saw pictures of him with Jaskin at the draft, and my God, Jaskin looks gargantuan - he just needs to work on his skating, and he has a chance to dominate. I really really hope Barbashev and Jaskin reunite on a line someday. They would drive opponents crazy.

Really looking forward to seeing Jaskin improve his skating and become the force he could be. Not sure I agree that Barbashev doesn't have Oshie's offensive ceiling. I see them being equal at minimum and definitely top 6 potential.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
He really seems like a solid pick, wouldn't it be nice if The Blues finally did end up with a real steal.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:21 PM
BadgersandBlues

Couple of things I saw in that highlight video that I liked:

1) He can take a one timer! Hooray!

2) He has great patience with the puck. Something I think our current roster sorely lacks is a guy who can hold the puck and find a seam to thread a pass through.

3) He goes to the net hard.

4) Clearly doesn't shy away from physical play.

Pretty exciting overall. I think this draft could be another 2010 for us.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Really looking forward to seeing Jaskin improve his skating and become the force he could be. Not sure I agree that Barbashev doesn't have Oshie's offensive ceiling. I see them being equal at minimum and definitely top 6 potential.
Liut - you're not the only one who sees some Tarasenko in him. THW said his "NHL comparable" was Vladimir Tarasenko: http://thehockeywriters.com/ivan-bar...spect-profile/

THW had him ranked 15th, Future Considerations 16th, Craig Button 16th, NHL Central Scouting 18th...thus, I'm still perplexed as to why he fell.

Old
06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I can see the Tarasenko comparison, but I still see significant differences. Barbashev seems like an absolute puck hound in the Schwartz/Sobotka mold. I see him as the player we all wish Soby could become. Strong defensively, puck hound, but with quite a bit of offensive ability.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:49 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I can see the Tarasenko comparison, but I still see significant differences. Barbashev seems like an absolute puck hound in the Schwartz/Sobotka mold. I see him as the player we all wish Soby could become. Strong defensively, puck hound, but with quite a bit of offensive ability.
I agree about Schwartz/Sobotka - I don't really see the Tarasenko comparison, but hey, if others think that's who he compares to, I won't complain!

Old
06-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Liut - you're not the only one who sees some Tarasenko in him. THW said his "NHL comparable" was Vladimir Tarasenko: http://thehockeywriters.com/ivan-bar...spect-profile/

THW had him ranked 15th, Future Considerations 16th, Craig Button 16th, NHL Central Scouting 18th...thus, I'm still perplexed as to why he fell.

That's pretty cool. When I was watching the youtube videos of him, the Tarasenko comparison was jumping out to me. I can also see the Oshie one too. But for me, he's almost an Oshie with more offensive upside. Almost like a Tarasenko/Oshie combo. Not sure who I like more, Fabbri or Barbashev.

Old
06-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post

Yeah, I can see a much more skilled Sobotka too. Too bad Sobotka doesn't have more skill. He has that compete level that you can't teach. Not saying he doesn't have skill, but I don't want him anywhere near our top 6. I actually like him better on our 4th line, but 3rd is fine too.

Old
06-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Ynnek
Playoff Bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
Couple of things I saw in that highlight video that I liked:

1) He can take a one timer! Hooray!

2) He has great patience with the puck. Something I think our current roster sorely lacks is a guy who can hold the puck and find a seam to thread a pass through.

3) He goes to the net hard.

4) Clearly doesn't shy away from physical play.

Pretty exciting overall. I think this draft could be another 2010 for us.
That's one of the things I really like about him. He plays more of a North American style game than you would expect. Tkachev on the other hand is more of a Dangling skilled Russian style player but he is a bit small.

I may have to start liking the Blues more since you keep taking Wildcats.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:12 PM
BlueDream

I have high hopes for this kid. Wouldn't be too shocked to see him become better than Perron but that's obviously an argument for another time.

Anyone else impressed by Bill Armstrong? Jarmo got a lot of praise around here but I don't think we've missed a beat with this guy. I think he's made some good picks.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I have high hopes for this kid. Wouldn't be too shocked to see him become better than Perron but that's obviously an argument for another time.

Anyone else impressed by Bill Armstrong? Jarmo got a lot of praise around here but I don't think we've missed a beat with this guy. I think he's made some good picks.
I think he had a much better draft then the last two. Kurker pick and some others failed badly. He really needed to have it go well this year.

For the past two seasons, he has focused on size. This year, it seems he got back to hockey IQ. Which is the one area that should always be in focus.

He has been kind of up and down, but part of that may be due to lack of first rounders.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote