HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

52nd overall Max Letunov

Old
06-28-2014, 09:46 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
52nd overall Max Letunov

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...eports-76-100/

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:43 PM
herbst20

Highly skilled winger who needs to add weight. I saw him 4 times this year and he got better each game. Will return to the USHL next year and off to BU in '15. Should be on the wing of Kyle Connor next year who is a potential top 15 NHL pick in '15

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Highly skilled winger who needs to add weight. I saw him 4 times this year and he got better each game. Will return to the USHL next year and off to BU in '15. Should be on the wing of Kyle Connor next year who is a potential top 15 NHL pick in '15
Too bad we have no 2015 1st to grab him as well

Majorityof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:22 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I had not read a single thing about him prior to the draft, but I'm pleased with the pick. Obviously has a lot of filling out to do, but he has a good frame and he has good skills. For a late 2nd rounder, I'm good with the pick. We probably won't know how he stands for at least 3 years, so he's one to put on the back burner and check up on occasionally.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

This guy is certainly a project, and I think his upside is quite high. Doesn't hurt that he's a center, either.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Robb_K

After his body matures, and he adds a lot of strength, say, reaching 6:02 195 - 205 lb, or so, he should be an effective 2nd liner. He's got good offensive skills. The fact that he's at least 3 years away from The NHL is a plus, for The Blues, rather than a minus, as they already will likely have Fabbri and Barbashev making the team in 2015-16, and won't want THREE forwards having entry-level contracts all ending in the same year.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:15 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberyn View Post
This guy is certainly a project, and I think his upside is quite high. Doesn't hurt that he's a center, either.
That's what the Blues hope also, we will know in 4 or so years.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
After his body matures, and he adds a lot of strength, say, reaching 6:02 195 - 205 lb, or so, he should be an effective 2nd liner. He's got good offensive skills. The fact that he's at least 3 years away from The NHL is a plus, for The Blues, rather than a minus, as they already will likely have Fabbri and Barbashev making the team in 2015-16, and won't want THREE forwards having entry-level contracts all ending in the same year.
I agree with this. That is actually what I thought when they drafted him. Our prospects are still thin, so we don't want them all hitting at the same time. We can afford to bring a guy like this along slowly. I still would have rather had someone with less things to work on, but its a good pick and he could turn into something good down the road.

Last edited by Majorityof1: 06-29-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old
06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
gumption

Send a message via Skype™ to gumption
i heard good things about him, so i'm looking forward to seeing him develop as a prospect. hopefully we'll see him make his way up to the nhl or ahl fast.

gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:06 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumption View Post
i heard good things about him, so i'm looking forward to seeing him develop as a prospect. hopefully we'll see him make his way up to the nhl or ahl fast.
I wouldn't count on it, although it's certainly not impossible. Within months of being drafted by the Angel, Mike Trout put on like 20 pounds of muscle and became the superstar he is today. Some kids stay thin for a long time and then start putting on muscle like it's nothing. He's only 155 pounds though. He's lighter than Fabbri, and Fabbri is like 5 inches shorter and considered thin himself. He seems like a guy that if he does make the NHL, it's going to come after 3-4 years of college, and a year in the AHL. He just needs time to fill out his frame.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Majorityof1

I think we should take up a collection to start sending the kid protein powder. Every week he'll get a big tub of Musclemass 3000, whey protein powder, and creatine plus work out videos focusing on strength training. Anything that will help him bulk up and is legal in the NHL. He'll be a college kid, he might not be able to afford all those fancy supplements.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:25 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I wouldn't count on it, although it's certainly not impossible. Within months of being drafted by the Angel, Mike Trout put on like 20 pounds of muscle and became the superstar he is today. Some kids stay thin for a long time and then start putting on muscle like it's nothing. He's only 155 pounds though. He's lighter than Fabbri, and Fabbri is like 5 inches shorter and considered thin himself. He seems like a guy that if he does make the NHL, it's going to come after 3-4 years of college, and a year in the AHL. He just needs time to fill out his frame.
Exactly, which means he's the perfect project player. Ideally, you look for a large player that has good skills and hockey sense, but lacks the physical tools needed to make the next step, as they are the "easiest" to gain. It should be pretty easy to track him as a prospect as well because his production should follow a linear path if all goes right.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Johnny Danger

does anyone know about how much Letunov wants to play in North America? or is there a bigger risk that he will be in russia in 2 or 3 yrs?

his english seems to be good and eliteprospects.com says, it was his 3rd season here. and he's going to university. so ...? seems to focus on an NHL-career?

Last edited by Johnny Danger: 08-06-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
does anyone know about how much Letunov wants to play in North America? or is there a bigger risk that he will be in russia in 2 or 3 yrs?

his english seems to be good and eliteprospects.com says, it was his 3rd season here. and he's going to university. so ...? seems to focus on an NHL-career?
While you can never tell for sure, Letunov seems like one of the safer picks who won't return to Russia. The kid has taken unconventional steps already by playing in the USHL, and he's also committed to Boston University in 2015. I'd say he's as close to a lock as you can get (for a Russian) to continue playing in North America for quite some time.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Yeah I think he'll give it a real shot. He's not a guy that I would expect becomes a career AHLer, but I don't think he'd come to North America, and put himself through college unless he was definitely going to give it a shot.

Old
08-06-2014, 07:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
It's been well reported that when we drafted Tarasenko and Jaskin, both of them made it known as clear as possible that they wanted to be in the NHL, so I'm sure they made sure Barbashev and Letunov felt the same way. Letunov has to be the lowest risk of any Russian IMO. Going the USHL and NCAA route definitely shows that he is fully committed to the NA game IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Similar to the MacEachern pick. Both are going to good programs and have some enticing skills, but I do think that both hurt their development by playing in the USHL in the year after their draft. Not to say they wont develop, but they are almost starting off a year behind most players developmentally.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 08:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
I'd argue the other way. Kind of like Kurker and Gardiner, players that are not ready to be impact NCAA players can really have their development stalled at a college program.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 10:35 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'd argue the other way. Kind of like Kurker and Gardiner, players that are not ready to be impact NCAA players can really have their development stalled at a college program.
Yep. MacEachern needed to work on his skating, while Letunov needs to bulk up before he hits the NCAA.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Similar to the MacEachern pick. Both are going to good programs and have some enticing skills, but I do think that both hurt their development by playing in the USHL in the year after their draft. Not to say they wont develop, but they are almost starting off a year behind most players developmentally.
Well with the stupid NCAA rules, he really had no other choice. If you want to play "high" level junior age hockey and still go to college, you either play USNDTP or USHL. Since Letunov is Russian, the USHL was his only real option.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:33 AM
kfox9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorityof1 View Post
Too bad we have no 2015 1st to grab him as well
Top 15? I doubt he falls all the way to 30 anyway... See what I did there?

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
I don't know that I agree with this simply because they wouldn't have been able to make a NCAA team the year after being drafted regardless. So it is kind of USHL or nothing at that point. Hell, Kurker jumped into the NCAA and has done nothing - even had to go back to the USHL.

We have to be very aware of our expectations. The NHL doesn't hit on 100% of those taken in the 1st round, and that percentage drops significantly in the 2nd and so on...

There is a better chance that Letunov busts then becomes an NHL player. Not saying I don't look forward to seeing him become a regular, but realistically,....

From my perspective, I would rather see Dmen go the NCAA route and forwards go to the CHL. Mostly because it gives Dmen more time to develop - which is needed.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Blues88

I saw this kid in a AAA showcase tournament in 2012 when he was with the u16 stars. One of the bigger kids out there but had a rough tourney. Imagine my shock when I see him getting drafted. Great for him and hopefully he contributes down the road.

BTW, if anyone has the chance, I'd recommend going to AAA tournaments when you can. Incredible hockey, especially when you consider the ages of these players.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:09 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues could always burn a year for a player like they did with Schwartz. Might even be to their benefit with a guy like Fabbri. Less time to establish yourself as an NHLer could mean a cheaper bridge contract for the Blues.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 03:42 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I don't know that I agree with this simply because they wouldn't have been able to make a NCAA team the year after being drafted regardless. So it is kind of USHL or nothing at that point. Hell, Kurker jumped into the NCAA and has done nothing - even had to go back to the USHL.

We have to be very aware of our expectations. The NHL doesn't hit on 100% of those taken in the 1st round, and that percentage drops significantly in the 2nd and so on...

There is a better chance that Letunov busts then becomes an NHL player. Not saying I don't look forward to seeing him become a regular, but realistically,....

From my perspective, I would rather see Dmen go the NCAA route and forwards go to the CHL. Mostly because it gives Dmen more time to develop - which is needed.
I agree with this.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote