HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Select Brandon Halverson (G - OHL) with 59th Overall Pick

Old
06-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The Devils goalie situation and drafting while Brodeur was there, look it up. You probably don't have to. It was a disgrace, they picked goalies in round one with the same diatribe you are spewing here about 'in 5 years....'. Yeah right, in 5 years this kid will probably be worth as much as Ari Ahonen and JP Damphousse.
Those goalies also sucked so it looks worse. If the kid busts, it'll look bad. It would look bad if he was a center and busted, too. This kid was also almost a 3rd rounder, so there's another massive difference.

I'm glad you can predict the future, though. What are the lotto numbers?

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
I would agree with you if we passed on someone unbelievable for a goalie. We didn't.
How do you know we didn't ???

Oh Halverson is the cream of the crop, but any forward or puck moving Dman would have been average. This is comical

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
How do you know we didn't ???

Oh Halverson is the cream of the crop, but any forward or puck moving Dman would have been average. This is comical
How do you know we did? You're the one criticizing the pick. I also didn't say he was the cream of the crop, so it's nice that you still like putting words in people's mouths when you get pissy about a draft pick.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Those goalies also sucked so it looks worse. If the kid busts, it'll look bad. It would look bad if he was a center and busted, too. This kid was also almost a 3rd rounder, so there's another massive difference.

I'm glad you can predict the future, though. What are the lotto numbers?
I can't predict, but if you give me a late 2nd goalie prospect in a draft that is KNOWN for being WEAK at the tender position by almost every pro out there, I can ballpark it, absolutely.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Rangerfan4life90

It's almost like some of these posters would wait until Henrik is gone to finally draft a goalie or two

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
I can't predict, but if you give me a late 2nd goalie prospect in a draft that is KNOWN for being WEAK at the tender position by almost every pro out there, I can ballpark it, absolutely.
Actually, this draft was considered fairly deep outside the first round in goalie prospects. A ton of guys that had potential but needed work. Demko, Johansson, Husso, etc. Lots of potential starters but no one sure fire. If we were going to take a goalie, this was the year to do it since we could get value outside the first round.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
How do you know we did? You're the one criticizing the pick. I also didn't say he was the cream of the crop, so it's nice that you still like putting words in people's mouths when you get pissy about a draft pick.
You did when you said we didn't pass on anyone meaning you think this was the best available player. IMO, he's not, by a longshot.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
It's almost like some of these posters would wait until Henrik is gone to finally draft a goalie or two
I think 7 years out is a bit early to worry about it. Especially with our first pick in this draft, and lack of recent first rounders.. as has been covered.

There just isn't much upside in this pick.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
You did when you said we didn't pass on anyone meaning you think this was the best available player. IMO, he's not, by a longshot.
I see you haven't read my posts in this thread. I freely admit that there were a couple of guys I would have preferred and said so. You should do yourself a favor and read before you respond.

I'm merely saying this isn't some out of left field pick. We picked a guy in an area he was expected to go in. We didn't pass on a top 5 pick for a goalie.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I think 7 years out is a bit early to worry about it. Especially with our first pick in this draft, and lack of recent first rounders.. as has been covered.

There just isn't much upside in this pick.
There's actually a **** ton of upside in this pick. This pick is all upside. It's a pure homerun swing by the brass.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:15 PM
sickboy35

sorry if I missed it but didnt we have 2 2nd round picks or?

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
sorry if I missed it but didnt we have 2 2nd round picks or?
Tampa 2nd round pick is for next year.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Quote:
There's actually a **** ton of upside in this pick. This pick is all upside. It's a pure homerun swing by the brass.
Unless he is showing signs that he is good enough to challenge Hank in 4-5 years, which is A LOT, obviously, to ask for then I don't see how the realistic best case scenario is anything better than what I posted earlier.

I admit I don't follow prospects at all so I have no idea of any of these players potential, I'm just saying that when you have your franchise goalie locked in for 7 more years, taking a goalie with your first pick in this draft isn't the best way to manage assets.

Take a skater that could play a bigger role in the coming years. We lucked into both Hank and Talbot. I'm not trying to draft a guy who can maybe be a great backup goalie in 5 years. Not with our first pick in the draft.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
Unless he is showing signs that he is good enough to challenge Hank in 4-5 years, which is A LOT, obviously, to ask for then I don't see how the realistic best case scenario is anything better than what I posted earlier.

I admit I don't follow prospects at all so I have no idea of any of these players potential, I'm just saying that when you have your franchise goalie locked in for 7 more years, taking a goalie with your first pick in this draft isn't the best way to manage assets.

Take a skater that could play a bigger role in the coming years. We lucked into both Hank and Talbot. I'm not trying to draft a guy who can maybe be a great backup goalie in 5 years.
Talbot will not be here after next year. He's a UFA.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Actually, this draft was considered fairly deep outside the first round in goalie prospects. A ton of guys that had potential but needed work. Demko, Johansson, Husso, etc. Lots of potential starters but no one sure fire. If we were going to take a goalie, this was the year to do it since we could get value outside the first round.
Deep or fairly deep, which is it?

Last year you had Fucale, Jarry, Desrosiers, Comrie and Saros. Typical year for goalies, this year doesn't stand out at all, same amount of possible starters as last.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I see you haven't read my posts in this thread. I freely admit that there were a couple of guys I would have preferred and said so. You should do yourself a favor and read before you respond.

I'm merely saying this isn't some out of left field pick. We picked a guy in an area he was expected to go in. We didn't pass on a top 5 pick for a goalie.
JUst got back from philly, head is spinning and no way I'm gonna read all these threads

Just know, this was not a good pick. Trust me

Old
06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
Deep or fairly deep, which is it?

Last year you had Fucale, Jarry, Desrosiers, Comrie and Saros. Typical year for goalies, this year doesn't stand out at all, same amount of possible starters as last.
I'll take this year's post first round crop any day over last year's. There were no real first round goalies (save maybe Demko) this year, but it's quite deep in tenders after. The only position it was remotely deep at.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
JUst got back from philly, head is spinning and no way I'm gonna read all these threads

Just know, this was not a good pick. Trust me
Sure it was. It was a fine pick.

Anyone who says "trust me" is automatically discredited.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Quote:
Talbot will not be here after next year. He's a UFA.
The team will have to find a new backup goalie regardless. Which hasn't been a big problem. Vali was good for a season and a half. Biron. This guy isn't going to be ready next year or the year after, I wouldn't think.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
The team will have to find a new backup goalie regardless. Which hasn't been a big problem. Vali was good for a season and a half. Biron. This guy isn't going to be ready next year or the year after, I wouldn't think.
It's actually been a pretty big problem where we merely lucked into a replacement. Biron was costing us games. Big Valley was really trash who had a couple of good games. We need a goalie that can spell Hank and keep him fresh. Tabot is that guy right now.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'll take this year's post first round crop any day over last year's. There were no real first round goalies (save maybe Demko) this year, but it's quite deep in tenders after. The only position it was remotely deep at.
That's not what I heard from every pro scout I talked to, what else you want me to say. I see it same as them. Outside 3 or 4 goalies, nothing sets this draft apart from previous mediocre pools. No way there was less Forward and defensive prospects who had just as high or higher ceilings going into this draft.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:29 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Tampa 2nd round pick is for next year.
thanks and that supposed to be a better draft right?

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
That's not what I heard from every pro scout I talked to, what else you want me to say. I see it same as them. Outside 3 or 4 goalies, nothing sets this draft apart from previous mediocre pools. No way there was less Forward and defensive prospects who had just as high or higher ceilings going into this draft.
3 more than last year in the 2-4 rounds. 3 more than the year before. 7 more than 2011. 7 more than 2010. 5 more than 2009.

For such a "mediocre pool" in the 2-4 rounds, it's surprising that more were selected. Interesting.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
3 more than last year in the 2-4 rounds. 3 more than the year before. 7 more than 2011. 7 more than 2010. 5 more than 2009.

For such a "mediocre pool" in the 2-4 rounds, it's surprising that more were selected. Interesting.
Yet none of the pro's I talked to had anything to say about the goalies, outside Demko, and even he wasn't the first goalie picked. Usually there is a consensus and this year goalies were all over the map.

You go ahead and feel fine about this pick, I think it was absolutely unnecessary when the team has little or no depth at other important positions that need to be addressed now and then. Goalies we've had no problem finding.

Again, this will be like the Devs insisting Brodeur wont play forever and drafting goalies back in the 90's then not needing them, or worse seeing them become mediocre and get nothing in return for them.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Quote:
Yet none of the pro's I talked to had anything to say about the goalies, outside Demko, and even he wasn't the first goalie picked. Usually there is a consensus and this year goalies were all over the map.

You go ahead and feel fine about this pick, I think it was absolutely unnecessary when the team has little or no depth at other important positions that need to be addressed now and then. Goalies we've had no problem finding.

Again, this will be like the Devs insisting Brodeur wont play forever and drafting goalies back in the 90's then not needing them, or worse seeing them become mediocre and get nothing in return for them.
Usually when a pool is quite deep and the guys aren't necessarily that far apart from each other (like this season), there isn't a consensus.

The actual results of the draft make me think the people you talked to were not connected at all to the process.

If you think drafting today is similar to over a decade ago, feel free to think that.