HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Select Brandon Halverson (G - OHL) with 59th Overall Pick

Old
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Usually when a pool is quite deep and the guys aren't necessarily that far apart from each other (like this season), there isn't a consensus.

The actual results of the draft make me think the people you talked to were not connected at all to the process.

If you think drafting today is similar to over a decade ago, feel free to think that.
I talked to head scouts from NA and Europe, how deep do you want me to get here?

And I was using the DEvs example of drafting goalies, not as an entry draft comparison. The example still applies, a team with one of the top 2 goalies in the world, at the least, wastes assets by drafting more goalies. Look at the Devs, wouldn't they have been better off drafting forwards and Dmen, even if they didn't pan out to be worldbeaters, they'd have been more valuable than what they got in return for those goalies.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:50 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I talked to head scouts from NA and Europe, how deep do you want me to get here?

And I was using the DEvs example of drafting goalies, not as an entry draft comparison. The example still applies, a team with one of the top 2 goalies in the world at the least wastes assets by drafting more goalies. Look at the Devs, wouldn't they have been better off drafting forwards and Dmen, even if they didn't pan out to be worldbeaters, they'd have been more valuable than what they got in return for those goalies.
Look, I don't trust hearsay from someone else. So I put zero stock into what you are saying (no offense, but I'm sure you can understand why -- and I also don't expect people to trust any hearsay I bring into a conversation). I sort of find it funny that you trust these supposed scouts more than ours.

The Devils made some bad picks. However, this is an end of the second round pick. It's much, much different than if we picked the guy in the first round.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Look, I don't trust hearsay from someone else. So I put zero stock into what you are saying (no offense, but I'm sure you can understand why -- and I also don't expect people to trust any hearsay I bring into a conversation). I sort of find it funny that you trust these supposed scouts more than ours.

The Devils made some bad picks. However, this is an end of the second round pick. It's much, much different than if we picked the guy in the first round.
I get ya, I just have a hard time with this since I just got back from immersing myself in actual professional opinions regarding prospects. People always say 'how many times have you seen him play', well, these guys seen them alot, and almost everyone I got to gave me first hand info.

Jon, this team has no right taking goalies with HL in the pipes and MANY other areas to be addressed now and in the future.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:58 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I get ya, I just have a hard time with this since I just got back from immersing myself in actual professional opinions regarding prospects. People always say 'how many times have you seen him play', well, these guys seen them alot, and almost everyone I got to gave me first hand info.

Jon, this team has no right taking goalies with HL in the pipes and MANY other areas to be addressed now and in the future.
This team has a right to do what they want. I trust our scouts. They have done a good job with minimal picks lately. No one we would have picked would have addressed any area for at least three years.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
This team has a right to do what they want. I trust our scouts. They have done a good job with minimal picks lately. No one we would have picked would have addressed any area for at least three years.
3 years, 5 years, That's not the point.

This player played in 19 games this year. 19 !!!! Thats it. Thats all we can go by and I doubt they even saw him in half of those games.

Small sample size anyway you slice it. To me, that's not nearly enough when you are surrounded by legit prospects even at the end of round 2.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
3 years, 5 years, That's not the point.

This player played in 19 games this year. 19 !!!! Thats it. Thats all we can go by and I doubt they even saw him in half of those games.

Small sample size anyway you slice it. To me, that's not nearly enough when you are surrounded by legit prospects even at the end of round 2.
Similar things were said about other picks that turned out great. I'd rather pick a kid who they see potential in than a falling rock in a pond (LaFleur). I didn't mind LaFleur because I expected Allaire to fix him. At least Halverson doesn't need fixing. Just needs developing.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
eco's bones

Right now Cam Talbot is the Rangers insurance policy if something happens to Henrik. He is their only insurance policy. He will be a UFA in a year. The Rangers could offer him a great deal but that doesn't mean he'll take it if he thinks he can do better as far as $, term or playing time somewhere else.

If Halverson is as good as the Rangers scouts think and Benoit Allaire is going to work with him I think that bodes well for both him and us. He was our first pick in this draft and there were other areas that could have been addressed as well but still--bottom of the 2nd round--things had been picked through pretty good--and the lack of prospects in the most key position was a concern.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
bmoak

It's just great to hear that Gordie Clark screwed up yet another draft for the Rangers. Would this man have a job anywhere in the NHL outside of Slats' cronysphere?

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Similar things were said about other picks that turned out great. I'd rather pick a kid who they see potential in than a falling rock in a pond (LaFleur). I didn't mind LaFleur because I expected Allaire to fix him. At least Halverson doesn't need fixing. Just needs developing.
19 games Jon, 19

Old
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
It's just great to hear that Gordie Clark screwed up yet another draft for the Rangers. Would this man have a job anywhere in the NHL outside of Slats' cronysphere?
Funny because the Rangers drafts have been pretty good under Gordie Clark.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
19 games Jon, 19
Jason Pierre-Paul only played a few before he was drafted. Seven starts. SEVEN.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
That's opinion.

Especially when you consider we are last in prospect rankings. I guess that's all on Sather too.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Jason Pierre-Paul only played a few before he was drafted. Seven starts. SEVEN.
And you hated that pick

Come on, football is totally different and you know it.

Seriously, it is comical following this team, gotta laugh or I'd be crying

Old
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
That's opinion.

Especially when you consider we are last in prospect rankings. I guess that's all on Sather too.
We've graduated a crap ton of players and traded away picks. Our team is built off of good drafting and trades.

Old
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post

Yep. The paper-thin dead-last ranked prospect list sure is a sign of good drafting! I seriously doubt that anyone the Rangers took this year will move the team up this list.

Last edited by bmoak: 06-28-2014 at 10:19 PM.
bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:14 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
And you hated that pick

Come on, football is totally different and you know it.

Seriously, it is comical following this team, gotta laugh or I'd be crying
Football IS different. That's why it's even more shocking to draft a guy with 7 starts in the first round when you expect your first round guys to step in and play meaningful football right away. I brought up that pick for a number of reasons. Your complaints here are similar (yet they are weirder since hockey IS different).

Old
06-28-2014, 10:15 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Yep. The paper-thin 23rd ranked prospect list sure is a sign of good drafting! I seriously doubt that anyone the Rangers took this year will move the team up this list.
Yes. Us graduating players is meaningless and has nothing to do with our depth. Nothing. Nada. Not sure why you'd fault Clark for not having us be able to move up the rankings this year without a first round pick. I didn't realize he was our GM.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
We've graduated a crap ton of players and traded away picks. Our team is built off of good drafting and trades.
Weak excuses.

So has LA and Chicago, yet they seem to not only have players and prospects but higher picks than us !!!

Old
06-28-2014, 10:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Weak excuses.

So has LA and Chicago, yet they seem to not only have players and prospects but higher picks than us !!!
So you're comparing our success with the best in the league? Seems to me that that would be a compliment. Funnily enough, the champion Kings have a barren prospect pool like us.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Weak excuses.

Chicago tanked for Towes and Kane. Those two have a lot to do with their success.

LA just has crazy depth that most other teams can't match.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:20 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
After I've had time to calm down from my Steven from youtube freakout I guess I'm alright with the pick. Just wasn't expecting a goalie-- let alone two-- at all.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
After I've had time to calm down from my Steven from youtube freakout I guess I'm alright with the pick. Just wasn't expecting a goalie-- let alone two-- at all.
Really? I thought it was obvious we were going to take one early.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
So you're comparing our success with the best in the league? Seems to me that that would be a compliment. Funnily enough, the champion Kings have a barren prospect pool like us.
Wasn't comparing them at all, you read it wrong.

And the Kings prospects are pretty good even with the graduates. The only draft they've messed up lately was when they took a goalie in the 2nd round with their first pick in the draft

Old
06-28-2014, 11:48 PM
darko

Not a fan of taking goalies this high but I do trust the organization and our scouts so yeah.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

When Talbot got hurt and Leneveu (or however you spell his name) was getting suited up, i bet all the ppl complaining about this pick were also cringing at what would happen if Henrik got hurt and we had to put him in.

Meanwhile the Habs lost Price and could put a competent goalie between the pipes.

I dont mind this pick at all.

not....one...bit.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote