HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 NHL Entry Draft: Rounds 3-7

Old
06-28-2014, 12:59 PM
RCDeltaFixer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUUUUUIS View Post
We've had a top ranked prospect pool for the past several years.
Yeah, I don't get the hate for him. I've only seen two posters here saying that, but still. He's not that bad.

RCDeltaFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:00 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
To be fair, that's been the result of very high draft picks, which could be argued have resulted from previous prospects not working out.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:02 PM
RCDeltaFixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
To be fair, that's been the result of very high draft picks, which could be argued have resulted from previous prospects not working out.
Using that same logic, you can at least say he's competent enough to make right selections with our first round picks. If he was such a bad scout, you'd think we would have a pretty poor prospect pool.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Jameson Cooper Olive @JamesonCoop
The majority of the #FlaPanthers scouting staff have been together for 12 years and Luce said that Hawryluk was a top-10 all-time interview
We draft based on interviews

90% interviews
10% the rest

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We draft based on interviews

90% interviews
10% the rest
The rest is great on him too ... Finished top-10 in a lot of combine drills. Led his WHL team in scoring and comes with glowing reviews.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Lol, this thread, only panther fans.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:10 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDeltaFixer View Post
Using that same logic, you can at least say he's competent enough to make right selections with our first round picks. If he was such a bad scout, you'd think we would have a pretty poor prospect pool.
Keep in mind, I wasn't saying whether or not I think we have a great scout team. Still, I don't like that logic. It's hard to mess up a top 3-5 pick.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
And we've put out a lot of good NHLers, right?

Let me ask you... who was the last all star this team drafted?

Who was the last 2nd round pick forwRd to score 20 G or defender to log 20+ minutes a night for more than one season?

I can think of David Booth (2004) and Jay Bouwmeester (2002) and a lot of busts.

Guess what... we had the top rated prospect pool back then after we drafted Nathan Horton. How did that work?

C'mon, there's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning this organization's scouting. Absolutely nothing wrong. It is largely fruitless, and reaching on picks as according to ISS and other major scouting services SHOULD worry you.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:16 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

I'm not determined to be miserable.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:23 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
I'm not determined to be miserable.
I know.

The *****ing makes no sense especially considering the fact it hasn't even been a day since the draft has officially ended. Judge when we know more about what these players can do a couple to three seasons from now. All of these picks seem Sensible, to say the least, which is something I am happy with.

And just FYI, I am very happy with our pick at 32nd overall. I remember us taking this guy by the name of John McFarland 33rd overall in his draft year. Everybody rejoiced at the fact we took McFarland because of his "skill" and his "potential" to make it big. Everybody applauded that move. He's surely a bang for our buck right now huh? So Dale takes a guy like Jayce Hawryluk who has a good head on his shoulders and plays a reliable solid offensive, defensive game, as well as being tenacious, we get mad? Really? Already I feel as if he is far more promising than the rejoiced pick of John freakin McFarland, a waste of a high 2nd himself.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:25 PM
gizmo12688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post

Who was the last 2nd round pick forwRd to score 20 G or defender to log 20+ minutes a night for more than one season?

I can think of David Booth (2004) and Jay Bouwmeester (2002) and a lot of busts.

Guess what... we had the top rated prospect pool back then after we drafted Nathan Horton. How did that work?

C'mon, there's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning this organization's scouting. Absolutely nothing wrong. It is largely fruitless, and reaching on picks as according to ISS and other major scouting services SHOULD worry you.
I see your point and I agree to an extent, but the ISS rankings aren't guaranteed either. After the 1st round, there's a lot of unknown and less "sure-things" that it's fine to go with a pick that you are more comfortable with.

It's not like the ISS rankings, or any other rankings, turn out (exactly in order) as barometers for player success.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
klabob

Quote:
Let's take a look at ISS top 30 of 2010, it's interesting because we had 3 pick in the first round. So let's see if the Panthers had drafted the best available player according to ISS ranking:

#3 Brandon Gormley, ISS rank #3, Drafted 13, 5gp 0g, 0a, 0pts

#19 Jon Merrill, ISS rank #11, drafted #38, 52gp, 2g, 9a, 11pts

#25 Quinton Howden, ISS rank #16, drafted #25, 34gp, 4g, 2a, 6pts

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:46 PM
iam76

Did nobody take pius suter??? Really??

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:48 PM
RCDeltaFixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
Let's take a look at ISS top 30 of 2010, it's interesting because we had 3 pick in the first round. So let's see if the Panthers had drafted the best available player according to ISS ranking:

#3 Brandon Gormley, ISS rank #3, Drafted 13, 5gp 0g, 0a, 0pts

#19 Jon Merrill, ISS rank #11, drafted #38, 52gp, 2g, 9a, 11pts

#25 Quinton Howden, ISS rank #16, drafted #25, 34gp, 4g, 2a, 6pts
Nice

Old
06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by I May Be Wrong View Post
I know.

The *****ing makes no sense especially considering the fact it hasn't even been a day since the draft has officially ended. Judge when we know more about what these players can do a couple to three seasons from now. All of these picks seem Sensible, to say the least, which is something I am happy with.

And just FYI, I am very happy with our pick at 32nd overall. I remember us taking this guy by the name of John McFarland 33rd overall in his draft year. Everybody rejoiced at the fact we took McFarland because of his "skill" and his "potential" to make it big. Everybody applauded that move. He's surely a bang for our buck right now huh? So Dale takes a guy like Jayce Hawryluk who has a good head on his shoulders and plays a reliable solid offensive, defensive game, as well as being tenacious, we get mad? Really? Already I feel as if he is far more promising than the rejoiced pick of John freakin McFarland, a waste of a high 2nd himself.
Uhggg... I was high on McFarland at the time.

I've been happy with all the picks this year except for maybe Wegworth, but I don't know **** about most of these guys when it really comes down to it. I do my research on them, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!
With that said, I really like what I have seen and read about Hawryluk so far and I like his enthusiasm.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Uhggg... I was high on McFarland at the time.

I've been happy with all the picks this year except for maybe Wegworth, but I don't know **** about most of these guys when it really comes down to it. I do my research on them, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!
With that said, I really like what I have seen and read about Hawryluk so far and I like his enthusiasm.
I was decently high on McFarland too. Sometimes the huge boom/bust guys aren't always the best, and the same goes for the "sexy pick/name." I am going to go ahead and trust the people that have watched these guys a lot more than I have. I agree that Wegworth is perhaps the player I am least excited about, but it's unlikely you're going to agree with EVERY pick made. I like the Lammiko pick too from the sounds of it.

I shudder to think what this board would have done if Tallon traded the 1st overall -- I am now convinced no offer was that great.

Old
06-28-2014, 01:57 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:

Very nicely said. This franchise has not earned the benefit of the doubt on anything they do and absolutely everything should be questioned.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:04 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
Completely agree. Basically..

Exactly how I feel !

No really, I haven't seen some of the guys drafted today but I like some of the picks from all the reports I read.

I've seen Barbashev and Tkachev though and I love those kids... Anybody can have a favorite !

Drafting some unknows guys from America is a common theme with Dale, it's just his philosophy when I'm more of an Euro and finesse guy !

Barbashev and Tkachev have it all IMO... But I like our 2nd rounder, I like the goalie, I like the Finn... But we could have done a bit better ! To me !!

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:07 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
Very nicely said. This franchise has not earned the benefit of the doubt on anything they do and absolutely everything should be questioned.
I just don't have the energy for it to be perfectly honest, but I can understand why some would feel the need to.
I also feel we are in pretty good hands with Tallon in charge and new ownership.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:07 PM
RCDeltaFixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Exactly how I feel !

No really, I haven't seen some of the guys drafted today but I like some of the picks from all the reports I read.

I've seen Barbashev and Tkachev though and I love those kids... Anybody can have a favorite !

Drafting some unknows guys from America is a common theme with Dale, it's just his philosophy when I'm more of an Euro and finesse guy !

Barbashev and Tkachev have it all IMO... But I like our 2nd rounder, I like the goalie, I like the Finn... But we could have done a bit better ! To me !!
That image is describing what you've been doing in this thread though.

Old
06-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Erick

Not that I have an opinion on most of these players, but it's actually pretty amazing that Luce still has a job.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:09 PM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
The kid is alright!

vCash: 50
Hey everyone. Jets fan from Brandon here.

You will love Hawryluk. Fan favorite here in Brandon. Incredible speed, hands and smarts. He will do anything you want. Hard hitter and can drop the gloves when needed. You wouldn't know from watching him play that he is only 5'10. He plays a much bigger game. I was hoping the Jets would actually trade up for him.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:10 PM
RCDeltaFixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Hey everyone. Jets fan from Brandon here.

You will love Hawryluk. Fan favorite here in Brandon. Incredible speed, hands and smarts. He will do anything you want. Hard hitter and can drop the gloves when needed. You wouldn't know from watching him play that he is only 5'10. He plays a much bigger game. I was hoping the Jets would actually trade up for him.
Good to hear, thanks for sharing!

Old
06-28-2014, 02:11 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Not that I have an opinion on most of these players, but it's actually pretty amazing that Luce still has a job.
He must be doing something right!

Old
06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I see your point and I agree to an extent, but the ISS rankings aren't guaranteed either. After the 1st round, there's a lot of unknown and less "sure-things" that it's fine to go with a pick that you are more comfortable with.

It's not like the ISS rankings, or any other rankings, turn out (exactly in order) as barometers for player success.
I'm not being a negative nancy who thinks we have made bad picks. He called someone out for questioning the picks that were all considered reaches. That's fair.

You can't defend an organization just because they're paid professionals. The point is TSN and ISS are historically just as good if not better than Scott Luce & Co.

While BabyJagarov isn't an expert and doesn't know what's actually a good pick, I think he's more in the right to question this organization (who has a long history of bad picks) than someone is who tries to defend this organization "because they're experts."

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote