HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Select Keegan Iverson (C/W - WHL) with the 85th Overall Pick

Old
06-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Well no doubt he's a nyr pick. He'll fit right in with our can't score tradition.

Projs as a 3rd line tweeter type. Not a high skill guy but tough and scrappy.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Hockey's different here
He's a late 3rd round pick… He has a shot to be a tough player with some scoring ability. I'd take that from any 3rd round pick.

The "hockey is different here" is kind of weak considering they played in the Stanley Cup final two weeks ago.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:39 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Well no doubt he's a nyr pick. He'll fit right in with our can't score tradition.

Hockey's different here
if he was high end skill guy to go along with his tough and scrappy play in a PF body, i doubt hed be available at 85th overall...

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:

Hockey's different here
If it was common place for the Rangers to get a 3rd liner out of every 3rd round pick, we'd be doing pretty well.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:40 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Reading all these comments and scouting reports makes it look like the Rangers got a great value for a late 3rd. I'm guessing he will get more responsibility this year and has a shot at the US U20 team?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Hey look at that, picked one of the guys we actually liked around here, f'in miracle to say the least.

Now get on with it Keegan, you're our only hope !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:

Hockey's different here
We need more Lisins.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:59 PM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

Plenty of skill passed over when we chose him.

Not a fan of choosing players who have offensive ceilings.

This organization hasn't had a sniper since I'm not sure when. Thomas perhaps and he's no longer a nyr guy.

Great value is subjective. Again, they chose this guy over alot of skilled players.

Safe is death when you are the nyr organization.

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

Talent = skating. Shooting. Passing & Hockey Iq.

Grinders = anyone lacking the above.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

No. Just no.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
NYR Viper

I am beyond thrilled that they finally drafted a legitimate power forward prospect. It's about time.

More skill? Kristo, Fast, Miller, Duclair, Buchnevich all skill players.m time for more size. This organization can't develop truculent bottom 6 players for some reason. I hope he helps.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I am beyond thrilled that they finally drafted a legitimate power forward prospect. It's about time.

More skill? Kristo, Fast, Miller, Duclair, Buchnevich all skill players.m time for more size. This organization can't develop truculent bottom 6 players for some reason. I hope he helps.
He should, hopefully. He's a hell of a pick. Our best pick of the draft in terms of value, I think.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
He should, hopefully. He's a hell of a pick. Our best pick of the draft in terms of value, I think.
I sure hope so. He has great size. I hope he goes back to junior and gets above a ppg and starts to really assert his physical game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:44 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If Bluenote and Trxjw like him, I like him.
Pretty much this. Add Jonathan to this list too.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:45 PM
darko

Quote:

This organization hasn't had a sniper since I'm not sure when. Thomas perhaps and he's no longer a nyr guy.

Great value is subjective. Again, they chose this guy over alot of skilled players.

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

Need moarrrr Russians!!!

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Need moarrrr Russians!!!
Yeah, it does seem like especially Russians we pick always are real good value picks. Not necessarily saying the ones we pass on should have been picked, but we seldom pick anyone that sucks.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:17 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

With a prospect pool as thin as our is, we need to find NHL bodies, not reach for the boom or bust types.

Iverson may be a 2nd-3rd tweener based on his skill set, but his size and aggressive play with enable us to slot him anywhere in the lineup.

But yeah, let's take another Shane McColgan or MSC, because they worked out so well. We got skill guys in Duclair and Buchnevich last year. And one of them is even Russian, which should make you happy.

Edmonton is loaded with talented players. How's it working out for them?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Zil
Shrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
With a prospect pool as thin as our is, we need to find NHL bodies, not reach for the boom or bust types.

Iverson may be a 2nd-3rd tweener based on his skill set, but his size and aggressive play with enable us to slot him anywhere in the lineup.

But yeah, let's take another Shane McColgan or MSC, because they worked out so well. We got skill guys in Duclair and Buchnevich last year. And one of them is even Russian, which should make you happy.

Edmonton is loaded with talented players. How's it working out for them?
Also they took two boom or bust guys, they're just small offensive defensemen instead of scoring forwards. Last time I checked, production from the blueline was an organizational need. The Rafalski comp for Nanne is super intriguing.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:31 AM
eco's bones

A winning team is made of a lot of different elements. You need speed, skill, size. You need guys who can score and create. You need guys that can hit and fight. You need practically everyone to know how to defend and some of them to kill penalties. Look at the Kings, Bruins and Blackhawks--they're not all goal scorers. Iverson looks to me like a guy who could fit onto our third line some day--produce a decent amount of offense and a lot of physical play. It wasn't likely that we were going to find a first line skill player at the tail end of the third round of an average draft. I don't know why ODC is *****ing about the pick. For what was left on the board it was an excellent pick. One player I was interested in was Anton Karlsson--the Rangers didn't get him but Iverson is pretty much the same kind of player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:26 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post

Agreed 100%. Last year all three 3rds were used on high/risk reward skill players and it seems to be coming along. If one of Buch/Duclair/Tambellini becomes an impact skill player that is a well executed strategy. 2? Phenomenal.

But you also need to consistently get NHLers from your drafting. And when you trade away picks frequently that takes away so,e of the ability to take risks. We have seen the value of depth this season. And by extension how difficult it can be to retain AFFORDABLE depth.

Got to see Iverson play a few games for Breck. His hands aren't bad at all. I wouldn't expect him to be a true impact PF...I think Bryan Bickel is a decent hope for best case.

06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A winning team is made of a lot of different elements. You need speed, skill, size. You need guys who can score and create. You need guys that can hit and fight. You need practically everyone to know how to defend and some of them to kill penalties. Look at the Kings, Bruins and Blackhawks--they're not all goal scorers. Iverson looks to me like a guy who could fit onto our third line some day--produce a decent amount of offense and a lot of physical play. It wasn't likely that we were going to find a first line skill player at the tail end of the third round of an average draft. I don't know why ODC is *****ing about the pick. For what was left on the board it was an excellent pick. One player I was interested in was Anton Karlsson--the Rangers didn't get him but Iverson is pretty much the same kind of player.
Not a fan of this pick nor our prior pick.

This kid is a decent prospect. Good on ice attitude and some flash of scoring but he doesn't project to be a top 6 kid and there were better players available. His hands are just ok. More n/s type game with little creativity.

We go goal with pick 1 which is an absolute miss and here we go 3rd line ceiling kid with so so offensive upside.

I do like the igor pick. Very athletic competitive kid. Would have loved him as our only g pick and gone dom turgeon out of Portland or the Finn lammikko who looks like a younger Joel armia. Both better organizational choices at 59.

At 59 we had a top 60 kid available and we took not even the best goalie let alone bpa.

Our drafting Just makes me shake my head.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:58 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
At 59 we had a top 60 kid available and we took not even the best goalie let alone bpa.
Apparently the Rangers scouts believed that he was the best goalie available and probably the best player available as well.

Calgary took Mason McDonald 34th overall and he wasn't the top rated by the scouting services either.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Finally off the road, so here's my take:

Like I said, I really love this pick. We do not have a forward like this in our system at the moment. Meaning a guy who can make a huge difference with his physical game. This kid LOVES to hit people and he hits them hard. He's built like a fullback and people just bounce right off of him. He has the speed to get in on the forecheck and create turnovers by pounding the defenders. We definitely lack that in our organization.

Offensively he still has plenty of upside, IMO. 22G and 20A while getting limited PP time and 3rd line minutes on a powerhouse team isn't anything to turn your nose up at. He has a heavy slapper and good wrister but he needs to work on getting it off faster. He's a good passer when he sees a lane, but isn't going to wow anyone with his creativity in that department. His hands are underrated in close and he can create chances for himself very well.

Ultimately he projects as a winger in the NHL, IMO, but he could be that big, physical presence that can skate on a scoring line and keep opposing teams honest when it comes to taking shots at your best guys. He could be that 15-20 goal guy who can play on any line in your top 9 while still being very effective. Similar to Troy Brouwer but with a more consistent motor.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
we want cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Finally off the road, so here's my take:

Like I said, I really love this pick. We do not have a forward like this in our system at the moment. Meaning a guy who can make a huge difference with his physical game. This kid LOVES to hit people and he hits them hard. He's built like a fullback and people just bounce right off of him. He has the speed to get in on the forecheck and create turnovers by pounding the defenders. We definitely lack that in our organization.

Offensively he still has plenty of upside, IMO. 22G and 20A while getting limited PP time and 3rd line minutes on a powerhouse team isn't anything to turn your nose up at. He has a heavy slapper and good wrister but he needs to work on getting it off faster. He's a good passer when he sees a lane, but isn't going to wow anyone with his creativity in that department. His hands are underrated in close and he can create chances for himself very well.

Ultimately he projects as a winger in the NHL, IMO, but he could be that big, physical presence that can skate on a scoring line and keep opposing teams honest when it comes to taking shots at your best guys. He could be that 15-20 goal guy who can play on any line in your top 9 while still being very effective. Similar to Troy Brouwer but with a more consistent motor.
Excellent. Players like this are important, but they can be hard to get because they always get overpaid.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I like this pick a great deal...a physical winger the Rangers do not have the likes of in the system. I'll be more than content if he turns out to be a quality 3rd liner.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
Not a fan of this pick nor our prior pick.

This kid is a decent prospect. Good on ice attitude and some flash of scoring but he doesn't project to be a top 6 kid and there were better players available. His hands are just ok. More n/s type game with little creativity.

We go goal with pick 1 which is an absolute miss and here we go 3rd line ceiling kid with so so offensive upside.

I do like the igor pick. Very athletic competitive kid. Would have loved him as our only g pick and gone dom turgeon out of Portland or the Finn lammikko who looks like a younger Joel armia. Both better organizational choices at 59.

Our drafting Just makes me shake my head.
You're the only one who doesn't like this pick. That should tell you something.

Iverson is better than just about anyone at that spot.

If you were in our draft room, you'd only take skill guys and ignore every other facet. The Matt Millen of NHL drafting.

Old
06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
You're the only one who doesn't like this pick. That should tell you something.

Iverson is better than just about anyone at that spot.

If you were in our draft room, you'd only take skill guys and ignore every other facet. The Matt Millen of NHL drafting.
If it means anything, I'm not overly thrilled with the pick. Kinda puzzling that they took Iverson with his teammate, Chase De Leo (a guy who plays a much bigger role for Portland), still waiting to be picked. Not only that, but De Leo's scouting report IMO reads better as well.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote