HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 cuts

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 06:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
4 cuts

Rita, Salmelainen, Allen and Wright all sent to Hamilton. Courtesy of Ched.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:57 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Just beat me to posting that

I am surprised both Rita and Salmelainen were sent down - I expected one of them to stay... I really hope Rita can get his head together and get called up this year, he has sooooo much talent...

Old
10-04-2003, 06:58 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Rita, Salmelainen, Allen and Wright all sent to Hamilton. Courtesy of Ched.
As long as they're going to Toronto, it's about what I expected.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:03 PM
hunter orange

For God's sake they had better put Rita on the Roadrunners' first line...To showcase him for a trade if nothing else.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:04 PM
momentai

Man, Jim isn't going to be happy that Sarno stayed up over Rita/Salmo.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:10 PM
mamettt

utterly amazing...

sometimes I think this coaching staff is clueless. Keeping Sarno up over Rita is a terrible move....if hemsky got so much leeway last year during training camp, Rita, who is five times the defensive player hemsky was when hemsky was given his spot, should easily be on this team. I will not give up on Rita, and neither should the oilers. Poti, Comrie, now Rita...why is that some guys with skill are jsut not accepted here.Great job Mac-t.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Oi'll say!

MacT....

Old
10-04-2003, 07:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
sometimes I think this coaching staff is clueless. Keeping Sarno up over Rita is a terrible move....if hemsky got so much leeway last year during training camp, Rita, who is five times the defensive player hemsky was when hemsky was given his spot, should easily be on this team. I will not give up on Rita, and neither should the oilers. Poti, Comrie, now Rita...why is that some guys with skill are jsut not accepted here.Great job Mac-t.
I was surprised he lasted this long. He has had IMO a terrible camp. I don't believe in handing players a spot that they didn't earn. Sends a bad message!

Old
10-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Allan

Quote:
Hemsky was only here last year because they couldn't send him to Hamilton, and sending him back to junior would have been a waste of time. I'm not saying that Rita doesn't deserve a shot, but Hemsky was given more slack than they normally would have given him because he couldn't be sent down.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

This is in no way giving up on Rita. He's lost out there right now. Sarno earned a spot, Rita didn't, plain and simple. Rita should not "easily be on this team". He was beaten not only by Sarno, but by Torres, Stoll, Salmelainen and Wright in this camp. That's sad for a guy who's supposed to be a hockey player.

Luoma should've gone down too, not sure why he didn't.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
This is in no way giving up on Rita. He's lost out there right now. Sarno earned a spot, Rita didn't, plain and simple. Rita should not "easily be on this team". He was beaten not only by Sarno, but by Torres, Stoll, Salmelainen and Wright in this camp. That's sad for a guy who's supposed to be a hockey player.

Luoma should've gone down too, not sure why he didn't.
Rita was having such good chemistry with Reasoner y did MacT break up that line or he could of atleast return him to it when he was not geling with some others. WHY? early in the pre-season almost everyone had
Moreau-Reasoner-Rita as their third line

Old
10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
mamettt

It's a matter of persepctive IMO. Rita has nothing to learn at the AHL level, other than how to stew and be angry (He's been down there for two years now...it's time for him to make the jump) Hemsky had nothing to learn at the junior level. Hemsky had the talent to play in the NHL, it was his defense/durability that was the question. Hemsky's deficencies, his incompleteness, was overlooked. Rita has the talent to play in the NHL, his defense is in question, yet for some reason, he's incompleteness doesn't get overlooked? I just, at all costs, don't want to see Rita not play for us, go somewhere else, and break out. I believe in Rita. I've seen him play, and I think, had we kept him, he would of been a better player than sarno. I hope he's up soon because he plays well down in the A.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Sarno's a centre and Rita's a winger. There's no guarantee that Sarno's going to be up here for the season or that Rita stays in Toronto all season. Remember injuries happen and by the way things are going this preseason, there could be a lot of callups because of injury.

10-04-2003, 07:20 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Sarno's a centre and Rita's a winger. There's no guarantee that Sarno's going to be up here for the season or that Rita stays in Toronto all season. Remember injuries happen and by the way things are going this preseason, there could be a lot of callups because of injury.
Sarno is not actually playing is he? I thought he's just a press box guy centers Smyth/York/Reasoner/Stoll so that leaves him out right?

Old
10-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
It's a matter of persepctive IMO. Rita has nothing to learn at the AHL level, other than how to stew and be angry. Hemsky had nothing to learn at the junior level. Hemsky had the talent to play in the NHL, it was his defense/durability that was the question. Hemsky's deficencies, his incompleteness, was overlooked. Rita has the talent to play in the NHL, his defense is in question, yet for some reason, he's incompleteness doesn't get overlooked? I just, at all costs, don't want to see Rita not play for us, go somewhere, and prove me right. I believe in Rita. I've seen him play, and I think, had we kept him, he would of raised to the occasion. I hope he's up soon because he plays well down in the A.
I think the real problem for the organization at this point is going to be whether to sign him next season (or when they play) or let him go back to Finland.

It's clear he's a heckuva player, but it's also clear the Oilers have terrific options up front.

The other side of this is of course that Rita could be the first callup, as others have said.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Rita was having such good chemistry with Reasoner y did MacT break up that line or he could of atleast return him to it when he was not geling with some others. WHY? early in the pre-season almost everyone had
Moreau-Reasoner-Rita as their third line
The chemistry that alot of people seem to be pointing to was overestimated. He scored a bad angle goal, and played alright in the Joey Moss cup. Fact is, he's just not moving at NHL speed right now(I don't mean skating speed). Rod said a couple times on Rita "You just can't make that mistake in the NHL". He's just not clicking. Let him go score a ton of points in the AHL, get confidence goin, and then come back. He has never dominated down there.

You don't wait for a guy to get to the regular season and bring his game up, pre-season is to prove you belong and make the team. Your job is on the line, if you can't raise your game then, then you're not ready.

Rita can still learn alot from the AHL, let him prove he deserves to be here.

Again, he's not even going to be the best player in Toronto to start, so there's no reason he should just be handed an opening night spot.

Let him show the talent he supposedly has, then, maybe, he'll be an Oiler.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:25 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
From what I've seen, heard and read, Rita has earned a spot in TO. He's not ready to be a regular here yet. Sarno has earned a 4th line/PP/pb spot.

I don't think anyone is "giving up" on Rita. There are things he needs to work on. If he does, he'll be the first call-up.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Oi'll say!

I think Rita's done here and I am guessing that the Oilers are going to make their first straight-up Neely/Pederson deal soon.

That's my final answer.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

I am surprised the oilers kept both sarno AND stoll...i think that says that Smyth's experiment at center is done for sure

Old
10-04-2003, 07:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I think Rita's done here and I am guessing that the Oilers are going to make their first straight-up Neely/Pederson deal soon.

That's my final answer.
You're gonna compare the loss of Jani Rita to the loss of Cam Neely................ I don't think I should even be dignifying that.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
You're gonna compare the loss of Jani Rita to the loss of Cam Neely................ I don't think I should even be dignifying that.
Yeah I just said that Rita was going to be a 20/200 guy. Congratulations, you cracked the code.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:43 PM
woody

the cuts also come down to contracts. Rita makes first round money as the 14th forward $950 per year or you can have Sarno as your 14th forward at half of the salary. Every dollar counts with the Oilers

Old
10-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Shizuka

sorry to see Salmo get sent down...

...more so than seeing Rita go down. From all reports it seems Rita once again faded during the exhibition games, while lighting it up in training camp. I sure hope he gets his game together in Toronto, because he has the talent to play in the NHL. It should be interesting to see how Sarno does with limited ice time (exception being PP I suppose).

MacT's impression of Rita at this point sounds pretty weak; not sure how many here get the Journal but his take in today's edition was that Torres knows and reads the plays well, mostly making the right decisions and keeping the play going. With Rita, the perception seems to be that plays tend to die because his hockey sense is not quite up to par yet? Wish I had a chance to see some of the games myself, so I don't feel so ignorant posting based on other people's perceptions alone

Old
10-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Sarno is not actually playing is he? I thought he's just a press box guy centers Smyth/York/Reasoner/Stoll so that leaves him out right?
Cross out Smyth and add Horcoff.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:00 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Cross out Smyth and add Horcoff.
Horcoff when is he expected to be able to play again from his injury?
You want Horcoff on the first line? or do u mean the common
York-Horcoff-Dvorak
P.S. I am using that line in NHL2k3 and it seems to have trouble scoring but maintains pressure in the zone for ever.

Closed Thread