HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ESPN.com USA Goaltending

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2005, 10:04 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
ESPN.com USA Goaltending

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2155114

On Mike Richter ...

Quote:
Leaf through the recent history of USA Hockey's successes in major international competitions and one name jumps out: Goaltender Mike Richter... He's also gone now, having walked down the path of retirement as, arguably, the best netminder USA Hockey has ever produced.

Old
09-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Wow a good article posted on ESPN about hockey.

Old
09-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's not even arguable.

He's the best US netminder ever.

Bar none.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:42 AM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

A good article about the best US goalie ever, NYR's own Mike Richter.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:59 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
It's not even arguable.

He's the best US netminder ever.

Bar none.
Richter may be the best US goalie, but it's certainly open for debate ... Barasso, Vanbeisbrouck and Brimsek all could make an argument.

Old
09-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Fletch

I was going to say the same...

Richter likely gets the nod, but not without a lot of competition, and a lot of debate. His Stanley Cup does help, but there are others (or another) who have (or has) won that too and have had decent NHL careers. Barasso, as John mentioned, did win a couple Cups, and had 300+ wins. The Beezer never did make it, but did eek out 300+ wins, and it took a while for Richter to beat him out. The nod is the international competition - which, not to take anything away from Richter, as he was spectacular, but the stars were aligned during that tourney. USA hockey was taking off, and the goalie competition wasn't that strong (compared to, say Canada).

Old
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I've always been a big, big Mike Richter fan and I rate him very highly, but there are others that disagree.

I have to say to the people lauding this article: it's really not that great. Talking to the US goalies is great, and getting their perspective is nice, but I question the idea that these guys amount to an infusion of US goalie talent. Time was we did have Barasso, Vanbeisbrouk and Richter. Now we have DiPietro and Esche. Hopefully Miller, Jimmy Howard and Montoya can step up as well, but this isn't exactly a landslide of new American Patrick Roys here. Of those mentioned, only DiPietro, maybe Miller, is really anything like sure to be a top goalie. (Esche is a fine player, but I have my doubts that he's élite).

Old
09-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Richter may be the best US goalie, but it's certainly open for debate ... Barasso, Vanbeisbrouck and Brimsek all could make an argument.
Beezer and Barasso are two of my favorite goalies of all time. I just love a good US netminder (which is why I really like Dipietro) and have no bias against them no matter what team they are on.

But I could never ever see Barasso or Beezer above Richter in terms of skill and performance.

Old
09-08-2005, 02:46 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Beezer and Barasso are two of my favorite goalies of all time. I just love a good US netminder (which is why I really like Dipietro) and have no bias against them no matter what team they are on.

But I could never ever see Barasso or Beezer above Richter in terms of skill and performance.
Each has their pros and cons.

Richter's negatives are that he's the only one of the four to not win either a major award, and the only one of the four to never be named to the 1st or 2nd all-star team.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
and the only one of the four to never be named to the 1st or 2nd all-star team.
wait, what? what all-star team? NHL? Olympics? what?

He's played in several NHL all-star games (in fact he blew out his first knee in one) and was named to the all-star team in both the world cup and olympics

Old
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
wait, what? what all-star team? NHL? Olympics? what?

He's played in several NHL all-star games (in fact he blew out his first knee in one) and was named to the all-star team in both the world cup and olympics
Not all-star games, but the NHL's end of season 1st & 2nd NHL all-star teams, meaning that he was never considered to be one of the NHL's 1 or 2 best goalies during the regular season.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Edge

I never bought into those awards.

Richter never got the credit he deserved and frankly only played on very good teams for maybe all of 4 or 5 years of his career.

He never jumped ship when he knew his numbers were going to go down and there are factors to consider as well.

The bottom line is that Richter succeeded in the higher pressure situations of the trio and shined on the international platform. He spent his entire pro career playing for two teams, the Rangers and Team USA.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I've always been a big, big Mike Richter fan and I rate him very highly, but there are others that disagree.

I have to say to the people lauding this article: it's really not that great. Talking to the US goalies is great, and getting their perspective is nice, but I question the idea that these guys amount to an infusion of US goalie talent. Time was we did have Barasso, Vanbeisbrouk and Richter. Now we have DiPietro and Esche. Hopefully Miller, Jimmy Howard and Montoya can step up as well, but this isn't exactly a landslide of new American Patrick Roys here. Of those mentioned, only DiPietro, maybe Miller, is really anything like sure to be a top goalie. (Esche is a fine player, but I have my doubts that he's élite).
And most goalies become stars whether or not they were "projected" to hit that elite level.

Barasso was a high draft pick but no one expected Richter and Beezer when they were in their early 20's (and splitting time) to each reach the 300 win plateau.

Closed Thread