HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hayden Hawkey

Old
06-28-2014, 12:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Hayden Hawkey

Discuss

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Goalie pick. Seems like a smart pick.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dagistitsyn

His last name is Hockey. Thats great.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

vCash: 612
Good to grab a goalie. I like this.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SpeedyPotato

Didn't think we'd take a goalie in this draft, they must've liked him, I know nothing about him.

SpeedyPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLP
Refugee

Name is awesome, USHL Goalie of the Year.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Might very well be our best pick of this whole day.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

Dat Hawkey goalie.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:05 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Bust a Hawkey?

Nice pick. Good goalie depth.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Played on the same travel team as Didier, the Colorado Thunderbirds.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Habs100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I'm hawkey with that pick.
What I like most about this pick is we could potentially use Fucale as a trade chip if Hawkey's looking good.

Edmonton wanted Fucale. Maybe a package including Fucale could get us Yakupov.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
...Maybe a package including Fucale could get us Yakupov.
Yakupov's attitude is exactly what Bergy HATES and Yak will never be traded here.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Mathletic

Asked about him, didn't get much earlier in the season

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...315&highlight=

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Hayden Hawkey @hawkeypuck35 · 1m
Such an honor being drafted to Montreal!! Thanks to everyone for the support. @CanadiensMTL

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The Providence College commit and USHL Goaltender of the Year clearly is coming off of a strong
season in Omaha. Hawkey lead all USHL goaltenders in goals against average and save percentage.
Hawkey’s a big, athletic body in net. He might be the quickest and most athletic of any goaltender
in the USHL this season. For a team as solid as the Lancers were, their goaltender got hung out to
dry more often than you would figure. Hawkey had more breakaway stops and odd-man break
stops than anyone else viewed this season, stopping the likes of Jack Eichel, Dylan Larkin, and
other top notch offensive players in those situations on numerous occasions. In a game against
Green Bay in late February he had three breakaway saves within that one, single game. His lateral,
post-to-post ability is phenomenal, and is a major reason why he is so effective on breakaway and
odd-man breaks. He made saves going post to post this season that were seemingly impossible to
stop, but he stopped them.
2014 BLACK BOOK -63 2014 NHL DRAFT PROSPECTSThe rare time he does give up a rebound that leads to a quality second chance, he shuts the door
much more often than not. He’s able to make adjustments and move in order to make a rebound
save as good as anyone. Exceptionally difficult to beat down low. He’s quick with his legs, and has
both a strong blocker and glove. All in all, his USHL Goaltender of the Year honor was well, well
earned.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Will be interesting to see what the plan is for him next season, since I assume that Providence College was expecting to lose their starting goalie to the NHL this off-season but last I heard Jon Gillies (Flames draft pick) will be back for his Junior year. I don't know anything about PC's backup other then he will be a Sophomore next year. PC can easily carry 3 goalies and then if Gillies turns pro next summer then perhaps Hawkey will be ready to take over the starting job.

I know that Providence is likely going to be highly rated going into next season since they had a big year and aren't losing much to graduation, (PC lost in the Frozen Four tourney to what would be the National Champs at Union (Dan Carr's team).

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpIIXwlZVo

Old
06-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
He looks really comfortable in his crease, especially when he stands nearly outside of it. He's also not afraid to challenge the shooter by coming out a bit further or going for a poke-check and he appears hungry for the puck. I like what I see.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
He looks really comfortable in his crease, especially when he stands nearly outside of it. He's also not afraid to challenge the shooter by coming out a bit further or going for a poke-check and he appears hungry for the puck. I like what I see.
Incredible that a goalie seems to be one of our most encouraging pick in this 2nd dya.... Again though, you rarely have too many. They are so unpredictable that you have to get some kids at some point. He is 4 or 5 years away.....it's not like he's ready next year.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Noob616

Hayden Hawkey > Zach Fucale AINEC. He instantly jumps to the top of the organizational name depth chart.

In all seriousness he should get good playing time in the NCAA which will be a big help. No issue with taking a goalie late like this.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Incredible that a goalie seems to be one of our most encouraging pick in this 2nd dya.... Again though, you rarely have too many. They are so unpredictable that you have to get some kids at some point. He is 4 or 5 years away.....it's not like he's ready next year.
Well, I love the Scherbak, Audette and Hawkey picks. I like the Evans pick. I don't hate the Koberstein or Lernout picks because I don't know much about these players, so I'm undecided at this point.

The only thing I dislike about this draft is the decision to sacrifice an extra draft pick to move up, only to select a player that was seemingly off the radar. Timmins and Bergevin know more about talks on the dance floor, so we'll see what happens but on the surface as a fan sitting at his computer, it doesn't make much sense.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Well, I love the Scherbak, Audette and Hawkey picks. I like the Evans pick. I don't hate the Koberstein or Lernout picks because I don't know much about these players, so I'm undecided at this point.

The only thing I dislike about this draft is the decision to sacrifice an extra draft pick to move up, only to select a player that was seemingly off the radar. Timmins and Bergevin know more about talks on the dance floor, so we'll see what happens but on the surface as a fan sitting at his computer, it doesn't make much sense.
Scherbak is 1st day so he's not in my "analysis". I LOVE the pick. Audette I'm fine with. I had other guys...but it's a fine pick. Hawkey, I like based on reports and what we just saw. Which is not a lot, but I like. Koberstein and Lernout are my 2 biggest ???. Evans is meh to me, for the same profile, I had other names in mind. Wilkie or Murphy (going to Michigan...). But I don't know Evans.

But in the end, yes, it's wait and see. It's always dull as I see A LOT of games and this year, I mostly did my scouting for everybody else but Habs.... Saw Lernout a few times, never was impressed. Saw Audette, a lot, and would have let him go yet at that round...it's fine. Loved Scherbak though. Rest....I have no idea. Never saw them. I can't even find videos of them.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:39 PM
calder candidate

Probably the best pick of the day.

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Hayden Hawkey > Zach Fucale AINEC. He instantly jumps to the top of the organizational name depth chart.

In all seriousness he should get good playing time in the NCAA which will be a big help. No issue with taking a goalie late like this.
First year he will probably sit behing Gillies, but from the sounds of it they drafted him as a long term project and might leave him NCAA for 4 years. Probably a guy like Audette that didn't fit a great need but was by far their BPA at that pick.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Habs100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yakupov's attitude is exactly what Bergy HATES and Yak will never be traded here.
According to TSN 690 Bergevin was ready to trade Subban for him on draft day 2012. Given Yakupov's close bond with Galchenyuk, I think Bergevin would trade for him if the price were right.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote