HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

177th Overall - G Hayden Hawkey

Old
06-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
He looks really comfortable in his crease, especially when he stands nearly outside of it. He's also not afraid to challenge the shooter by coming out a bit further or going for a poke-check and he appears hungry for the puck. I like what I see.
Incredible that a goalie seems to be one of our most encouraging pick in this 2nd dya.... Again though, you rarely have too many. They are so unpredictable that you have to get some kids at some point. He is 4 or 5 years away.....it's not like he's ready next year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Noob616

Hayden Hawkey > Zach Fucale AINEC. He instantly jumps to the top of the organizational name depth chart.

In all seriousness he should get good playing time in the NCAA which will be a big help. No issue with taking a goalie late like this.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Incredible that a goalie seems to be one of our most encouraging pick in this 2nd dya.... Again though, you rarely have too many. They are so unpredictable that you have to get some kids at some point. He is 4 or 5 years away.....it's not like he's ready next year.
Well, I love the Scherbak, Audette and Hawkey picks. I like the Evans pick. I don't hate the Koberstein or Lernout picks because I don't know much about these players, so I'm undecided at this point.

The only thing I dislike about this draft is the decision to sacrifice an extra draft pick to move up, only to select a player that was seemingly off the radar. Timmins and Bergevin know more about talks on the dance floor, so we'll see what happens but on the surface as a fan sitting at his computer, it doesn't make much sense.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Well, I love the Scherbak, Audette and Hawkey picks. I like the Evans pick. I don't hate the Koberstein or Lernout picks because I don't know much about these players, so I'm undecided at this point.

The only thing I dislike about this draft is the decision to sacrifice an extra draft pick to move up, only to select a player that was seemingly off the radar. Timmins and Bergevin know more about talks on the dance floor, so we'll see what happens but on the surface as a fan sitting at his computer, it doesn't make much sense.
Scherbak is 1st day so he's not in my "analysis". I LOVE the pick. Audette I'm fine with. I had other guys...but it's a fine pick. Hawkey, I like based on reports and what we just saw. Which is not a lot, but I like. Koberstein and Lernout are my 2 biggest ???. Evans is meh to me, for the same profile, I had other names in mind. Wilkie or Murphy (going to Michigan...). But I don't know Evans.

But in the end, yes, it's wait and see. It's always dull as I see A LOT of games and this year, I mostly did my scouting for everybody else but Habs.... Saw Lernout a few times, never was impressed. Saw Audette, a lot, and would have let him go yet at that round...it's fine. Loved Scherbak though. Rest....I have no idea. Never saw them. I can't even find videos of them.

Old
06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
calder candidate

Probably the best pick of the day.

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Hayden Hawkey > Zach Fucale AINEC. He instantly jumps to the top of the organizational name depth chart.

In all seriousness he should get good playing time in the NCAA which will be a big help. No issue with taking a goalie late like this.
First year he will probably sit behing Gillies, but from the sounds of it they drafted him as a long term project and might leave him NCAA for 4 years. Probably a guy like Audette that didn't fit a great need but was by far their BPA at that pick.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Habs100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yakupov's attitude is exactly what Bergy HATES and Yak will never be traded here.
According to TSN 690 Bergevin was ready to trade Subban for him on draft day 2012. Given Yakupov's close bond with Galchenyuk, I think Bergevin would trade for him if the price were right.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:53 PM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
According to TSN 690 Bergevin was ready to trade Subban for him on draft day 2012. Given Yakupov's close bond with Galchenyuk, I think Bergevin would trade for him if the price were right.
That was what Pierre McGuire said it would take for the first pick. (IIRC, McGuire also said he would jump on that deal)

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Habs

wow, keep all these funny 'hawkeye' memes going, it just doesn't get old.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotichab View Post
that was what pierre mcguire said it would take for the first pick. (iirc, mcguire also said he would jump on that deal)
qft.

good pick , best golaie of his league, cant go wrong with that.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
That was what Pierre McGuire said it would take for the first pick. (IIRC, McGuire also said he would jump on that deal)
He wanted to trade the 3rd overall for Jordan Staal who was 100% going to sign in Carolina regardless. Would have been worse than Gomez.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Scherbak is 1st day so he's not in my "analysis". I LOVE the pick. Audette I'm fine with. I had other guys...but it's a fine pick. Hawkey, I like based on reports and what we just saw. Which is not a lot, but I like. Koberstein and Lernout are my 2 biggest ???. Evans is meh to me, for the same profile, I had other names in mind. Wilkie or Murphy (going to Michigan...). But I don't know Evans.

But in the end, yes, it's wait and see. It's always dull as I see A LOT of games and this year, I mostly did my scouting for everybody else but Habs.... Saw Lernout a few times, never was impressed. Saw Audette, a lot, and would have let him go yet at that round...it's fine. Loved Scherbak though. Rest....I have no idea. Never saw them. I can't even find videos of them.
Quote:

I'm with both of you guys here. Scherbak and Hawkey were both excellent value where they were picked (Evans too, I guess, but whatever). The rest of what happened was very wtf to me. I mean... I personally had no interest in Lernout (I like that he's big, tough, a RH shot, and that he rocked the combine... but that's about it), Koberstein (might as well have been N.Mich. recruit Marshall Donald, who played on Dion Phaneuf's brother's team, and went undrafted last year, for all I care), or Audette (sigh... I get it, but come on). Hard working and skilled player (with interesting bloodlines, obviously), but the Desharnais comparisons are simply too valid from my viewings to get excited about the Audette pick - no matter whatever "value" is to be discerned from his pre-draft ranking among NA skaters. Great (junior) player, just did not want - we all know the deal...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Discuss
we'll know in four or five years (goalies can take longer and we should hang onto them for one year beyond their sell by date in case we can get some undefined "more" for them).
[padding my post count with inane posts on questionable subjects like the people who think the post count matters--where's the smiley for patting myself on the back]

Last edited by Chris Nilan: 06-28-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: additional info needed
Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Forlando

Big fella too at 6'2 me likes the pick

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlando View Post
Big fella too at 6'2 me likes the pick
Height for a goalie is not necessarily a harbinger of success. We picked some tall ones before and it went south on the team... like this guy right here:

Jason Missiaen
Goalie -- Height 6.08
Drafted by Montreal Canadiens
- round 4
#116 overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Height for a goalie is not necessarily a harbinger of success. We picked some tall ones before and it went south on the team... like this guy right here:

Jason Missiaen
Goalie -- Height 6.08
- round 4
True that no matter how big you are, if you are bad, you are bad. Missiaen was never good to begin with. Was just big. A total project. But a mind-boggling pick. He was a big time project. Known as a LONG-TERM project. That by Timmins admission, was doing good after year 1 of the said project. And we decided to let him go at year 2. I guess in the end they were right.....but still you wonder why we picked him to begin with. Mistakes like that happen from time to time I guess.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well thanks to Habsfuture, Hawkey is NOT going to the NCAA next year....only in 2015-2016. So he stays in Omaha next year.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...062814aaa.html

Old
06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
DAChampion

Hawkeye.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
His last name is Hockey. Thats great.
He could also be viewed as "Hawkeye." That might be even better for a goaltender.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Well thanks to Habsfuture, Hawkey is NOT going to the NCAA next year....only in 2015-2016. So he stays in Omaha next year.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...062814aaa.html
Means playing time if Gillies is still there.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:44 PM
VL55

Quote:
I dont know if Hawkey can fight but whenever he does it'll be a hockey fight...
And if he does good, we'll be able to say: 'Hawkey had an okay hockey fight'.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Forlando

Quote:

Jason Missiaen
Goalie -- Height 6.08
- round 4
Height is no guarantee of success for ANY player, but in today's NHL you need a big goalie, not only to cover as much net as possible but also to withstand 82 + games of punishment. Pricey is a horse and looked what happened with Kreider. Imagine if he were a midget.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Maybe for you this is so, but not for me. I love our 2nd and 3rd guy picked. they both have qualities our team lacks and needs. Maybe you are depending too much on Central Scouting before you render judgment. I have to believe Habs braintrust know a few things more than them. Don't you?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Maybe for you this is so, but not for me. I love our 2nd and 3rd guy picked. they both have qualities our team lacks and needs. Maybe you are depending too much on Central Scouting before you render judgment. I have to believe Habs braintrust know a few things more than them. Don't you?
Well as far as I'm concerned, I do see a lot of hockey live, TV and the Net and do read tons of reports by TONS of different groups. For Lernout, well from the games I saw him, I wasn't impressed. People keep talking about how tough he is, fine. He's not exactly destroying everybody with his fighting though. But he does seem more mean than what we have in the pool. But he'd still need to make it. I mostly didn't understand the trade for him, that's probably more my problem. And because I prefered other players as well. For Koberstein, I have no idea how you could "like" him as nobody has any idea who he is but the Habs brass. But it does seem that he likes the rough stuff himself as well. But I couldn't even believe the negative stuff....there are no reports on him that much.

Yes, we will always believe more in the Habs brass than anybody else. Still, the draft for what it is, Habs brass isn't perfect. And as fans, we have the right to question the moves they make, like we do for the GM, the coach or the players. But yes.....this draft is totally about believing in the Habs scouting department....

Old
06-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Tall with long arms and legs. Never a bad idea to add to the goaltending depth. His style is very similar to that of Corey Crawford. If he gets to work with Waite that would be nice. I think he could develop well, especially with his body.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote