HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7th Round Kings Pick #209 LW Spencer Watson

Old
06-29-2014, 02:09 AM
PJ Kings Hockey

vCash: 500
Very likeable player! Hope it works out for Spencer.

PJ Kings Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:49 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

My Shift to Shift video of Spencer Watson - again, go easy on the editing criticisms, though anything constructive is appreciated. I've never edited a video before and am just learning:

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Brock

I had Watson as the 20th ranked OHL player this year.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...r-2014_21.html

Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:18 AM
PJ Kings Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
My Shift to Shift video of Spencer Watson - again, go easy on the editing criticisms, though anything constructive is appreciated. I've never edited a video before and am just learning:

That's a lot of work, King'sPawn. Thanks! I saw some of your Kempe video. This is a long piece, good for giving an idea of the player's tendencies and habits. If we had only a couple of minutes to spend on this, what part of the video would you recommend?

Old
06-29-2014, 12:36 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Kings Hockey View Post
That's a lot of work, King'sPawn. Thanks! I saw some of your Kempe video. This is a long piece, good for giving an idea of the player's tendencies and habits. If we had only a couple of minutes to spend on this, what part of the video would you recommend?
Thank you for the feedback, PJ!

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend a block. The main reason to do a shift by shift video is to let you see and judge for yourself based on the play as a whole. By suggesting certain scenes to look at, I remove the objectivity and takes away the one good thing about the video: the opportunity to judge for yourself based off of 99% of unexciting plays we will see with prospects

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for, and I'm not trying to be difficult. I just feel I would compromise the purpose of my own video by suggesting some shifts are more relevant/meaningful than the rest.

These videos can foster a lot of discussion for what the viewers like/dislike about each prospect, and that's something I really hope can develop in these threads. I'm not trying to take the opportunity of discussion away. I'm just avoiding trying to focus it in one way or the other.

I hope you understand.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM
PJ Kings Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Great pick, I'm a huge Watson fan and expect him to become a solid pro player. Not great, but decent. Nice value and huge steal.
I hope he has a future in the NHL. Who was it who feared he might have been chosen to given others a skilled linemate to work with, a.k.a. The Kings don't promote short players? That's my fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
And according to YouTube, he flies a mean kite.
Well, that seals the deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Thank you for the feedback, PJ!

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend a block. The main reason to do a shift by shift video is to let you see and judge for yourself based on the play as a whole. By suggesting certain scenes to look at, I remove the objectivity and takes away the one good thing about the video: the opportunity to judge for yourself based off of 99% of unexciting plays we will see with prospects

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for, and I'm not trying to be difficult. I just feel I would compromise the purpose of my own video by suggesting some shifts are more relevant/meaningful than the rest.

These videos can foster a lot of discussion for what the viewers like/dislike about each prospect, and that's something I really hope can develop in these threads. I'm not trying to take the opportunity of discussion away. I'm just avoiding trying to focus it in one way or the other.

I hope you understand.
I can respect that, King'sPawn. Thanks for all the hard work. Also shout-out to Brock for the profiles. I've read almost all of them.

Old
06-29-2014, 03:11 PM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Just remember, very different leagues. The WHL focuses way more on the defensive part of the game than the OHL and the Q.
Old stereotype, there are more goals per game in the WHL today than the other two leagues... and the leading scorer in the CHL has been in the WHL the last several years.

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3

vCash: 50
Being from Kingston, I've been able to watch the Frontenacs play over 50 times this past season. So I'm quite familiar with Watson's game.

Pros:

-Offensive awareness. He's got a knack for knowing where to be in the offensive zone.

-Goal scorer's touch. He's a sniper, first and foremost. He's got a quick release and good accuracy.

-Good skater. Could use a better first couple of steps, but his overall speed is good. He's also pretty shifty.

Cons:

-Too perimeter for much of the season. IMO, this is why he dropped in the draft. He has all the tools to be a good scoring winger, but his game might not translate to the pros unless he starts going to the dirty areas more often.

-Tiny. Not just height-wise, but he's really slender as well.

-Not physical and doesn't really battle hard in the corners.

If Watson can improve his willingness to go to the areas where he has to pay a price (ie. corners, near the goal crease/slot area) more often, he could be a steal. If he continues to play like he did this past season (too often on the perimeter), he'll be a guy who scores big in junior but doesn't go much further.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 05:42 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Not driving to the net or the lack of gritty corner play isn't going to bode well with Sutter. Perhaps, we can flip him, if he puts up good numbers.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black1963 View Post
Not driving to the net or the lack of gritty corner play isn't going to bode well with Sutter. Perhaps, we can flip him, if he puts up good numbers.
I think I'm going to wait at least until after the development camp to see how he responds to Kings instruction, before thinking about flipping a 7th rounder for picks a few years from now.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:40 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
I think I'm going to wait at least until after the development camp to see how he responds to Kings instruction, before thinking about flipping a 7th rounder for picks a few years from now.
Well of course, silly.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:00 PM
KingsOfCali25
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black1963 View Post
By the time he makes the team, Sutter won't be the coach. The kid will hopefully get stronger since he is still young. Let's let the kid grow and not try to flip him the day after he was drafted.

KingsOfCali25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:03 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsOfCali25 View Post
By the time he makes the team, Sutter won't be the coach. The kid will hopefully get stronger since he is still young. Let's let the kid grow and not try to flip him the day after he was drafted.
Let's try and read the previous posts, before lecturing.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:23 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Andy Tonge @AndyTonge1 1h
Spencer Watson (@swatty96) ranked 10th in points/60 minutes. Pretty damn good for a 7th round pick. #LAKings

Andy Tonge @AndyTonge1 1h
Want to be even more impressed? @swatty96 had the 4th highest even strength points/60 minutes.

To put those statistics in perspective, there were 327 draft eligible players.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote