HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MDZ not given a QO - Now a UFA

Old
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

vCash: 500
Holland traded Järnkrok, Eaves and a 2nd for Legwand and Holland will not be signing Legwand. It happens. Sucks that Klein is gone and it sucks that Del Zotto didn't work out, but it happens.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Predarat

To MDZ:

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

This one stings for me because I was against the trade from the get go. Definitely a mark on Poile's record. That said, at least he admitted this trade was a mistake and didn't try to force it.

Unfortunately, situations like this are a side-effect of being aggressive and proactive, something Poile is finally starting to do.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Predarat

How many times is cooper going to tweet "but it was a trade worth making"? The world may never know.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

What a freaking horrendous trade. Just awful awful awful. We essentially GAVE a first round pick away, at bare minimum.

Well down David.

06-30-2014, 05:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
It was worth making at the time. The team needed to shore up its left side. There were some obvious holes or weaknesses on a roster that, when healthy, was not in need of a rebuild. It just need some spots here and there fixed, and then a revamping of the top six. Getting a LHD with the ability to move the puck wasn't a bad idea. It just happened that MDZ may not be able to hack it.

It sucks losing a trade, but I understand why it was made to begin with.

06-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I disagree. You could understand the thought process, but it was doomed from the beginning. A non-thinking offensive defenseman. Doomed in Trotz's system. Add in Jones, Josi, Ellis, Weber ... I mean come on...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 05:45 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Poile has been on the better end of most trades lately.

Most don't win them all.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
What a freaking horrendous trade. Just awful awful awful. We essentially GAVE a first round pick away, at bare minimum.

Well down David.
And we essentially just traded away the last pick in a draft for a proven goal scorer. You win some you lose some, just be glad that Poile usually is on the winning end of these deals.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He has done well in several trades recently, but this one was a gigantic miscalculation from the get go.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
braindead

Could be wrong but one theory might be that Poile found a better/safer/cheaper alternative to MDZ in the run up to free agency. His QO was high if you view him as a 3rd pairing guy and need extra $$$ to sign some nameless top line center guy.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

Rough but not unexpected. I am sure we could've moved him for a pick though at the draft… ah well. Not too butt hurt about this.

We need a second pairing D man now. christian ehrhoff willie mitchell or anton volchenkov highlight my list

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
preds1
Weber's Bomb

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Poile has been on the better end of most trades lately.

Most don't win them all.
I agree. Turned out bad but can't win 'em all.
He's done ok so far fishing for offense.

Besides, I'd rather have the $$ available and overpay a little on a 1C than overpay a 3rd pairing Dman.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm pretty unhappy about this whole situation, but whether I end up ok with it or very pissed off depends on how much of that 15mil we spend tomorrow. If we use the savings here to acquire good players, great. If not, we just pissed away Kevin Klein for literally nothing.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:34 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
Klein isn't a top pairing defenseman though. He's a very good number 4, but before he was traded he was practically everyone's favorite whipping boy around here.
Klein is playing 3rd pair in New York.

He is for sure a solid, serviceable NHL defenseman but he is no superstar, he's not a puck mover nor is he a big physical defenseman, and the fact that he signed a 7 year deal at 2.9 means he and his agent both knew what his ceiling was.

Now, make no mistake, this was BAD asset management by Poile, and whoever scouted MDZ and sold him to Poile as a trade target should be called to account, but we were never getting a scoring forward for Klein, or Klein plus our first. And I disagree with Enoch I don't think Klein would have fetched a 1st round pick even at the deadline last year. A second, or a 3rd and a prospect at most.

Put one tally in the "Bad move, Poile" column and move on.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:46 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

This was bound to happen. Del Zotto was underwhelming, and his qualifying offer was way too high. We should be able to find a very useful defenseman for that money. Ekholm could move up and take that spot while we add someone for the third pairing.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
INDhockeyfan

At the time it seemed like a good trade but it didn't work. We didn't get Klein for nothing we did get MDZ we just didn't resign him. Poile was willing to resign MDZ but not at 2.9M and I don't blame him. No other team thought he was worth that either so he couldn't get a trade. He has talent but a major attitude problem. He never wanted to be here so let him go. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up a 3rd pairing D man in FA.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

restores my faith in this board that we aren't having a bunch of "Poile should be fired on the spot for this!!" posts…

Old
06-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
restores my faith in this board that we aren't having a bunch of "Poile should be fired on the spot for this!!" posts…
I'll forgive him if he finds a comparable replacement in free agency

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Wrong Box Legwand

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
At the time it seemed like a good trade but it didn't work. We didn't get Klein for nothing we did get MDZ we just didn't resign him. Poile was willing to resign MDZ but not at 2.9M and I don't blame him. No other team thought he was worth that either so he couldn't get a trade. He has talent but a major attitude problem. He never wanted to be here so let him go. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up a 3rd pairing D man in FA.
Where did you hear anything about attitude problems or him not wanting to be here?

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Byrddog

Its like this we had Jones, Weber and Josi all big shots playing top 4. For some reaosn the front office thought is a good idea to trade away the lone guy we had playing top 4 that was a true stay at home defenseman. Getting a guy that was doomed to be uncapable of matching the offensive talent of the 3 already in the top three. Therefore we lose a nice piece and a good guy on the team. He has a good family as well met his mom the first time he came to rookie camp. Spoke with her at camp a few other times so yeah im not happy with the way this worked out. I was one of the few that did not like this the first day the trade happened and im sure there are those who hate I was right.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Its like this we had Jones, Weber and Josi all big shots playing top 4. For some reaosn the front office thought is a good idea to trade away the lone guy we had playing top 4 that was a true stay at home defenseman. Getting a guy that was doomed to be uncapable of matching the offensive talent of the 3 already in the top three. Therefore we lose a nice piece and a good guy on the team. He has a good family as well met his mom the first time he came to rookie camp. Spoke with her at camp a few other times so yeah im not happy with the way this worked out. I was one of the few that did not like this the first day the trade happened and im sure there are those who hate I was right.
as good a guy and teammate as Klein was he was only the 4th most talented Right handed defenseman on our roster, and so we were either going to have to move him or make someone young and developing like Jones or Ellis play on their off side, which is certainly not ideal for a developing player.

It sucks that he was moved for a dud who didn't pan out(not letting Poile off the hook) but truth be told when Seth Jones fell to us in the draft Kleins days here were numbered.

Old
06-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as good a guy and teammate as Klein was he was only the 4th most talented Right handed defenseman on our roster, and so we were either going to have to move him or make someone young and developing like Jones or Ellis play on their off side, which is certainly not ideal for a developing player.

It sucks that he was moved for a dud who didn't pan out(not letting Poile off the hook) but truth be told when Seth Jones fell to us in the draft Kleins days here were numbered.
Believe me im not arguing that Jones and Josi are better, the thing is theres no reason to have a top 4 without a stay at home guy. Personally I would like one on the top pair and the second pair. The fanbase has become so adverse to a stay at home guy over the years its makes no sense. That was the step back when losing Suter as well I do not like what Suter did either but its all about defensive responsibility. In truth the defensive falloff last year is what cost Trotz his job. The GA and PK took a hit that the rest of the team could not overcome. Especially when you take into account the impotent offense that was on the ice. Absent the last 10 games of the season and the forwards pushing for some reason( I think to save Trotz job) the numbers would have been worse. When a coach go to a shootout and 3 of the top 3 shooters are defensemen there is a problem. And Trotz did not do this as a joke or anything other than those guys had a better shot of winning the game. I know Doc its not you but many just will not accept that the team the last two season has just been absent talent for the 1st two lines. But many make excuses, well im way past that.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 09:26 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

Did we save the receipt? Let's just take him back for a Klein refund.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Not too butt hurt about this.
The 80's called... they want their phrase back. Maybe the "use by" date expired?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote